Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Major spoilers for the latest episode: So either Freezo's special somehow (aside from his hosed-up chongus), or plunging a silver dagger into your own heart is an especially terrible idea if you're a werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Poor Dave. He just wants to tell a story and he has to deal with a bunch of idiots who'd rather gently caress about and take the piss out of each other in various ways. I think this is probably the most railroading he's had to do in the show (though I haven't seen the "Tomb of Annihilation" stuff yet). There was an obvious plan and Hing just did not want to go along with it, no matter how much he was pushed or prompted. It was funny having Hing read Freezo's flashback though, since the Freezo in that is basically the alternate universe Freezo Dave probably envisioned when he started this whole thing; where he's played in a serious, dramatic fashion. And then Hing ends it all with a giant middle finger.

Also, I know it's not really anyone's fault because they all have lives but it feels like it's been a while since the whole cast was together playing as normal. Alex was missing for this episode, Simon wasn't around for the last session given the understandable circumstances of his wife giving birth from what I gather, Dave wasn't doing the DM'ing during "Freezo's Funhouse" and Baston's been missing for a good chunk of the season. I'm looking forward to whenever they all can fall back in to line.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 24, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tsob posted:

Poor Dave. He just wants to tell a story and he has to deal with a bunch of idiots who'd rather gently caress about and take the piss out of each other in various ways. I think this is probably the most railroading he's had to do in the show (though I haven't seen the "Tomb of Annihilation" stuff yet). There was an obvious plan and Hing just did not want to go along with it, no matter how much he was pushed or prompted. It was funny having Hing read Freezo's flashback though, since the Freezo in that is basically the alternate universe Freezo Dave probably envisioned when he started this whole thing; where he's played in a serious, dramatic fashion. And then Hing ends it all with a giant middle finger.

Once again, Dragon Friends is the podcast that provides the most accurate D&D experience.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do wonder how much of dave’s frustration is authentic and how much is just him playing it up for the audience. It’s hard to tell sometimes.

He keeps coming back so he can’t be that mad. And I love how in the holiday episodes, the other players will be like “wow, it’s really rude to interrupt the DM like that, Dave” when he tries to get his catharsis

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

inthesto posted:

Once again, Dragon Friends is the podcast that provides the most accurate D&D experience.

I've never actually played D&D to know how accurate it is :blush:

That said, I find myself listening to several D&D podcasts, so it's probably something I should give a try at some point. I'm already listening to this, Acquisitions Incorporated and watching/listening to Critical Role. I've marked out The Adventure Zone and Waterdeep Mountain High to give a shot at some point too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you ever want to know what Dragon Friends would be like if Dave didn't pull his punches, try D&D Is For Nerds.

The knucklehead sociopath (i.e. Hing) gets maimed or killed every single season, and it's hilarious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

The knucklehead sociopath (i.e. Hing) gets maimed or killed every single season, and it's hilarious.

what's his chongus like though?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

eke out posted:

what's his chongus like though?

Not joking, the player has a fake testicle and freely talks about it all the time

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Re. last ep: oh nooooooooo what a ride.

my guess is that this is some sort of Total Perspective Vortex situation and their reality is somehow keyed to Freezo for some reason right now. Bobby’s sheet is definitely ripped, right? I didn’t have good audio when listening

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

Ulf posted:

Bobby’s sheet is definitely ripped, right? I didn’t have good audio when listening

I'm fairly confident that I heard paper being torn right before the audience gasps began.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fishes_Swim posted:

I'm fairly confident that I heard paper being torn right before the audience gasps began.

There's definitely some kind of papery sound, but it could just be someone forcibly grabbing the paper close to a microphone or something. On the other hand, there's no reason for the audience to gasp and Hing to shout "Fffffuuuuccckkkkk!!!" if Bobby's character sheet is just being taken, since Freezo just went through the same poo poo.

Side note, hearing Hing shout "drat" or "Fffffuuuuucccckkkkk!!!!" when something goes badly for him or he's not allowed get away with something is hilarious. The best moment of which is probably when he tried to do some kind of warlock spell that he wouldn't have access to since he had a familiar, and Dave was oblivious and ready to move on until an audience member shouted out that it was against the rules so Dave made it so his attempt summoned Bushu instead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A fun meta game to play with dragon friends is to try and figure out if hing is trying to cheat on purpose, or if he just genuinely misunderstood the rules. The best is when the audience catches him though, yeah.

Also re: last episode spoilers: if a character is going to die, I’m ok with it being Bobby. Not that he was a bad character, and simon’s great, but of the group, Bobby had the least instantly-identifiable funny stuff going on (the jazz werewolf thing hasn’t come up since season 1, has it?) so it’ll be cool to see what Simon comes up with for a new character.

This was only the first episode of the recording session though, right? What’s Simon gonna do for the rest of it if Bobby’s dead, I wonder?

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

Ainsley McTree posted:

the jazz werewolf thing hasn’t come up since season 1, has it?

I think it's come up once in both seasons 2 and 3. Bobby was a werewolf when he rejoined the party after running off in season 2, and it was a minor source of comedy when he seduced Glitter Gleam in season 3. I guess it was also part of the conceit behind the episodes that Hing DM'd.

It's definitely never seemed very important, and feels more like a thing that they remember every once in a while. I think Simon remembers that Bobby has a motorcycle more often than he remembers that Bobby is a werewolf.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You're crazy, he asks whether or not it's a full moon every single time they do anything at night

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lets hang out posted:

You're crazy, he asks whether or not it's a full moon every single time they do anything at night

Oh I guess I just didn’t notice. I suppose if it’s not a full moon then it can’t be helped

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

A fun meta game to play with dragon friends is to try and figure out if hing is trying to cheat on purpose, or if he just genuinely misunderstood the rules. The best is when the audience catches him though, yeah.

Also re: last episode spoilers: if a character is going to die, I’m ok with it being Bobby. Not that he was a bad character, and simon’s great, but of the group, Bobby had the least instantly-identifiable funny stuff going on (the jazz werewolf thing hasn’t come up since season 1, has it?) so it’ll be cool to see what Simon comes up with for a new character.

This was only the first episode of the recording session though, right? What’s Simon gonna do for the rest of it if Bobby’s dead, I wonder?

i kinda keep wondering whether Simon's still particularly interesting in playing Bobby. I may just be getting the wrong impression since a lot of the cast has been in and out for the last few months due to various travelling obligations, but it feels like he's been getting quieter and more one-note.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think a problem with Simon making a new character is that I don't think Bobby is the least identifiably funny because of what he is but because Simon is the group's straight man and only really lets himself be funny on occasion like when he turns in to a werewolf since most of the time he has to be the one at least trying to keep the group semi-focused and on track. I don't mind him dying or anything, since I'd be interested in what he'd roll if he had some choice now that he's got some experience with the game under his belt but at the same time I wouldn't be expecting it to up his funny quotient given the role he's fallen in to within the group.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Bobby's sheet definitely got ripped. This is Dave's revenge for the entire group being... well, them. Frankly, Bobby was the most expendable character.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

Bobby's sheet definitely got ripped. This is Dave's revenge for the entire group being... well, them. Frankly, Bobby was the most expendable character.

It's fitting that the first character death is caused by the most competent member of the group stabbing himself in the chest while shouting "fuckaluckadingdong"

Goodbye, bees...

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm just finally listening to the Star Wars one poo poo they did for Patreon and it starts with Benny Davis playing the 20th Century Fox intro on what I assume is a melodica.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So is the show no longer released every other Thursday like indicated in the OP, or is it just a bit behind this release for whatever reason? Because this is the first time I've had to wait on a new episode and I've been looking forward to it all day but nothing has cropped up on Pocket Casts and the site doesn't show bupkiss. I'm jonesing for my fix here, and to find out whether Bobby is dead or not.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Last episode was late because there were 5 Tuesdays in the month, and the gang does their show on the second Tuesday of the month, or...something like that. AFAIK there’s no reason for today’s to be late. I notice it sometimes doesn’t drop until late afternoon/evening sometimes, I assume it’s something to do with Australia being in a very far away time zone but I refuse to do the math

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've done the math and it typically releases on 5 PM EST Thursday, which is 8 AM Friday in Sydney time. Sometimes it's a few hours late, but they're generally pretty punctual about it.

I'm biting my nails in anticipation too FWIW

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://omny.fm/shows/dragon-friends/20180814-dragonfriends-pt2-v1

It's here :supaburn:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm only 5 minutes in, but this episode has already had both Philge and Baston come back, while allowing Baston to make an entire song out of "I'm the Best!" so it's automatically a winner. I just hope Bushu shows up later. Hing laughing in disbelief in the background of Eden's song was great too. As was Alex's annoyance that all Freezo had to do was open the door and they could have walked out. And I still have 95% of the episode to go :holy:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm only 5 minutes in, but this episode has already had both Philge and Baston come back, while allowing Baston to make an entire song out of "I'm the Best!" so it's automatically a winner. I just hope Bushu shows up later. Hing laughing in disbelief in the background of Eden's song was great too. As was Alex's annoyance that all Freezo had to do was open the door and they could have walked out. And I still have 95% of the episode to go :holy:

oh my god this song lmfao what an entrance

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
These last two episodes have been so good, holy poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Came to find out if Bobby died. Stayed for baston: the musical

Also, was this the dragon friends’ largest accidental mass murder so far?

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

No it was on purpose.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Firstscion posted:

No it was on purpose.

The seemed so dismayed, though...

Also, it’s good to see the podcast continuing the grand tradition of freezo causing easily preventable mischief by refusing to quickly check if a door is open

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In Freezo's defense, that's exactly the kind of mistake most D&D groups would make.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Dragon Friends episode of Dragon Heist is out: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/podcasts-waterdeep

Listening to these voices without any audience reaction at all will always be weird

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

Dragon Friends episode of Dragon Heist is out: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/podcasts-waterdeep

Listening to these voices without any audience reaction at all will always be weird

I got used to it by the end of the Tomb of Annihilation but yeah.

Also, I assume they had the groups write their own descriptions, but nonetheless I like the image of a neutral third party nailing them so perfectly: "Dragon Friends is a show where a bunch of idiot Australian comedians muddle their way through a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. They’ve been doing it for almost two years now and you think they'd be better at it."

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

inthesto posted:

This episode was great and I really enjoyed how well the guests played off them, it's nice for them to have a guest on that actually knows how to play D&D too

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I keep meaning to listen back to this show through the lens of "Edan knows more D&D than he uses" to see where he's playing dumb on purpose.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Emma Balfour for eternal Baston.

I had to work hard not to laugh out loud at work, thank you everyone.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Was that the first effective fly kick so far? Hell, was it the first one that even landed?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Earlier this season, Baston fly kicked a demon into a portal, effectively OHKOing it.

I can't remember a fly kick working prior to that, though.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
We all agree the password is freezo, right?

Either that or Dan is loving with him and it’s chongus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Nah that's not long enough. It's anormalchongus