Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

I WENT VIRAL AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY AVATAR

infernal machines posted:

this raises so many questions i don't even know where to start. not even on the privacy front, just how that data could be useful for autonomous lane keeping and cruise control

I don't really work in that space, so I can't tell you. At the time everyone made it out to be a big deal - if you consider how far other players are in that space now (waymo) I'm not convinced tesla has anything in the current gens that's even close to worthwhile. autonomous driving is a rabbit hole - another thread for that if people want to discuss that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao that some cj (no offense op) can accidently remote brick your car with some badly written php, potentially forcing you to break a window to get out

the future is here!

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

I WENT VIRAL AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY AVATAR

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao that some cj (no offense op) can accidently remote brick your car with some badly written php, potentially forcing you to break a window to get out

the future is here!

now that the teledildonics patent has expired buying a tesla can now result in literally getting hosed as well as figuratively

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Xealous posted:

I don't really work in that space, so I can't tell you. At the time everyone made it out to be a big deal - if you consider how far other players are in that space now (waymo) I'm not convinced tesla has anything in the current gens that's even close to worthwhile. autonomous driving is a rabbit hole - another thread for that if people want to discuss that

yes, please

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Xealous posted:

now that the teledildonics patent has expired buying a tesla can now result in literally getting hosed as well as figuratively

you're amazing and this thread is amazing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thank you for your posts even if I don't understand the programming bits in the slightest.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Endless Mike posted:

thank you for your posts even if I don't understand the programming bits in the slightest.

same!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Endless Mike posted:

ayup

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I understand the programming bits but would also like to thank u for these posts, bless

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
this thread was good already but Xealous you have made it great, ty

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
good posts. i also power my car on farts (its bluemotion)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

what are people talking about with post-apple jobs? next and pixar are kindof big deals. yeah, no consumers bought next poo poo, but it still had it's place and was the precursor to osx.

apple did a whole lot of stupid poo poo in between jobs times, but jobs became the largest single shareholder of disney because of his actions in the late 80s and into the 90s.

what did steve do in the 90s that was such a big failure?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
macs in the 90s were somehow even worse than current macs. I know its hard to imagine something that awful but its true.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shaggar posted:

macs in the 90s were somehow even worse than current macs. I know its hard to imagine something that awful but its true.

yeah, and macs in the 90s had virtually nothing to do with jobs. he came back into the company in 97 and had to cycle out all the garbage they were producing while also building osx in the background and getting ready to switch architecture.

90s era apple had fuckall to do with steve jobs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

what are people talking about with post-apple jobs? next and pixar are kindof big deals. yeah, no consumers bought next poo poo, but it still had it's place and was the precursor to osx.

apple did a whole lot of stupid poo poo in between jobs times, but jobs became the largest single shareholder of disney because of his actions in the late 80s and into the 90s.

what did steve do in the 90s that was such a big failure?

jobs tried to create a computer company and ended up making a movie studio

then he tried to create another computer company and only made an operating system

finally he returned to his original computer company and turned it into a phone company

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

then he tried to create another computer company and only made an operating system

finally he returned to his original computer company and turned it into a phone company

Then everyone stood up and clapped, and that company's name was Tesla.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 24, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol spending all the money on R&D design work only to let clone manufacturers cannibalize their margins was such a dumb move for a hardware company 90's apple was crazy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

next stuff helped power a lot of early internet things and likewise was used on the backend of said studio.

granted he didn't succeed with his original intent with pixar or next, he still was wildly successful from apple to apple.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Endless Mike posted:

if it helps I understand most of the programming bits and let me tell you im absolutely horrified

enough so to phone post italics for emphasis :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 24, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

ackthually, everyone at Pixar wanted to make movies from day 1, all the rendering computer stuff was just them scrambling around to try and earn some kind of revenue until they got to the point of Toy Story being possible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

ackthually, everyone at Pixar wanted to make movies from day 1, all the rendering computer stuff was just them scrambling around to try and earn some kind of revenue until they got to the point of Toy Story being possible

just go with it it makes the joke work

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

just go with it it makes the joke work

if musk had tried to make a car company and ended up only making a powertrain manufacturer we would have nothing to laugh at

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

if musk had tried to make a car company and ended up only making a powertrain manufacturer we would have nothing to laugh at

indeed, jobs's greatest skill was saying "that sucks we're not doing it" while musk just says "thats garbage let me fix it" *makes problem worse*

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wulfolme posted:

like, he could have been the next Bosch and cornered the market as the premiere electric powertrain supplier for the industry but instead he overshot and now every other car manufacturer has invested the time and money to re-create his work and are going to cannibalize his market. It's hilarious

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

not a high bar to clear but I hope other manufacturers keep at EVs. I love my Chevy Volt

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ciaphas posted:

not a high bar to clear but I hope other manufacturers keep at EVs. I love my Chevy Volt

I'm interested to see what happens with that charger network VW agreed to build because of the cheating lawsuits. They can't put their branding or products on any of it, so the one TV spot I saw promoting the brand just looked like some kind of industry consortium ad featuring multiple manufacturers. Hopefully the chargers aren't something they are going to sabotage or abandon the moment that they are no longer legally required to keep them up :v:

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
www and doom were unfortunately made on nextcubes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wulfolme posted:

You say powertrain and I think

which also matches what Musk would promise about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gschmidl posted:

You say powertrain and I think

which also matches what Musk would promise about it.

its musk so it'd be more like

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

Goddamn is that some wide gauge. WTF?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

thats
what
she
said

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sorry to interrupt this amazing thread it has kept me rapt with attention for the last day

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, but Snowpiercer's a perpetuum mobile to boot.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 24, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

that was NBC's response to the love boat. it nearly bankrupted the network

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Schadenboner posted:

uh its a sports train, gotta keep it low and wide

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

lol. i'd not heard of this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

I've really gotta find and watch that now. It's only like >8 hours it looks like (8 45 minute episodes plus what I assume is a 2-hour runtime/90 content-minute pilot)?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Absolutely incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgHaHDIjWs&t=5061s

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

its more stable like that - think of a bike vs truck in terms of TIP-OVERness. Checkmate, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I've really gotta find and watch that now. It's only like >8 hours it looks like (8 45 minute episodes plus what I assume is a 2-hour runtime/90 content-minute pilot)?

woah wow i just remembered cartoon express.