Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Wow that is a great read and wrapping your body in plastic wrap and duct tape to build a template is an extremely smart idea, I am so going to use that. Using the dremel to show battle damage is nice, I really want to make a battle harden/damage set, I think that gives everything more character.

I'm going to have to search for some helmet building stuff, mostly on how to size it properly.

First I really need to make my families costumes for Halloween before I start on anything for myself.

Bonus con picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Get someone to help you with the duct tape wrap - you can do it on your own if needed but it is way easier if you can have someone help you with awkward places and making sure the wrap goes well. Also not having to bend and twist while trapped in tape is handy.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I'm in the final stretch of my Zidane cosplay for Otakon, and I just finished up his Mage Masher! It's EVA foam with a gatorboard core for stability and Model Magic details. The paint was fun--I mixed interference pigments into the colors on the blade and it gives it an iridescent efffect!

I have a lot more background in sewing than props so I've been surprised at how much I enjoy making them!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This isn't really cosplay, its kinda cosplay adjacent.

I love Daft Punk. So when I saw these two on ali express, I had to buy them.

But there were some problems...

The paint job was poo poo.

And they had these logo on the back.

I thought I could improve it. So I sanded...

And drilled some holes... (I cut the space between the holes too, I just didn't take any pictures.)

And primed.

And repainted.

And got rid of the logo, and put the wires in.

The silver helmet had a weird pattern light-up screen that was more trouble than it was worth, and I didn't like the look, so I replaced that. There was also a pattern around the ears that no Daft Punk helmet ever had, so I took care of that with baby powder and super glue.

The pvc was warped, and the cheeks were lopsided. So I used a heat gun to bend it back.

Primed. I should have put down black before the silver, apparently that makes it pop better.

And here are the finished products. They aren't perfect, but they look good on my bookshelf.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 1, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Baby powder and hot glue?

That looks like it was a really fun project! Both the masks now look way better.

The Mage Masher also looks great!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks. :)

Baby powder and super glue.

Mixed together you get a paste that you can use to fill gaps, holes, crevices. and it's super easy to sand.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, cool! Thanks for the tip!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Just found out my office has a C&C laser cutter that can go through 1/2 inch oak. I'm excited for this, I'm so going to abuse access to this new toy for nerdy stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rythe posted:

Just found out my office has a C&C laser cutter that can go through 1/2 inch oak. I'm excited for this, I'm so going to abuse access to this new toy for nerdy stuff.

Careful, that things gonna make you sweat

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Zidane himself is basically done, just the Knife Gun and scabbard left to finish up before Otakon. I wouldn't even bother with them but I'm entering the Hall Contest and I fell like they'll question why I didn't include them because they're on the high res render (even though the Mage Masher is definitely his more iconic weapon??)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rythe posted:

Just as a heads up, 1/2 is really like, the absolute maximum for laser cutters, and if you’re doing it on wood, you’re running some heavy fire risks. With oak you’re probably moooostly fine but seriously be super careful when you’re really cranking the wattage on that laser tube

E: wait this is the cosplay thread not the woodworking thread; and you were likely just using the 1/2 oak as an example of power. In which case, go fuckin hog wild and find yourself a decent acrylic supplier and cut loads of poo poo all day forever. Laser cutters are the fuckin best.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah I mentioned that for power, 1/2 inch oak seems like it should suck to laser through.

We mostly use it for tool control, etchings, awards and going away plaques. I think the work surface is 3ft x 3ft and I have no idea what I want to try. My first armor build I'm going to try all my hand without using prebuilt files but I might grab something that looks cool in the mean time to build.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Be careful what you cut with the laser. There are lots of common cosplay materials that will give off harmful gas if cut on a laser.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Goldaline posted:

Zidane himself is basically done, just the Knife Gun and scabbard left to finish up before Otakon. I wouldn't even bother with them but I'm entering the Hall Contest and I fell like they'll question why I didn't include them because they're on the high res render (even though the Mage Masher is definitely his more iconic weapon??)

Nice job!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We have a laser cutting thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739294

But generally anything with chlorine will kill you, like PVC and maybe other things. Acrylic is good to cut. Cutting PVC or other materials with chlorine will produce chlorine gas, the first chemical weapon used in WWI.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Worth noting that most eva foams are perfectly laser compatible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Be careful what you cut with the laser. There are lots of common cosplay materials that will give off harmful gas if cut on a laser.

Cosplayers, too

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Zidane won for Best Journeyman in the Hall Costume Contest at Otakon! I entered at Novice since I've only won once before but they bumped me up so I guess I'm Journeyman now!

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Congrats! I'm only just now catching up on this thread from months ago or I would have been flipping out over your WIP posts, I love FFIX and I love every costume you post in here. I wish I knew my way around a sewing machine half as well as you do. My favorite little detail is probably the edging on those leather shoulder straps and the iridescent Mage Masher!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Somehow I went from one costume to five for dragoncon.

rip me.

Added some rolled sleeves for Mei Hatsume though:

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

I recently got a foam D.va gun that I'm hoping to use in a future cosplay. But I want to repaint it. Mostly since the original paint job is terrible and because I want to do her junker skin.

Anyone got any tips on how to repaint a foam prop? From the research I did it sounds like its best to tape off parts and spray paint light to dark. But I have no clue what spray paint would work best or what will just devour my sweet prop.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
What kind of foam is it? If it's rigid insulation foam, the stuff that comes in big sheets, and it's painted then it should already be sealed, so you could theoretically use any spray paint if that's the case.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can't you also seal most foam with standard, white elmer's glue?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Eodoin posted:

I recently got a foam D.va gun that I'm hoping to use in a future cosplay. But I want to repaint it. Mostly since the original paint job is terrible and because I want to do her junker skin.

Anyone got any tips on how to repaint a foam prop? From the research I did it sounds like its best to tape off parts and spray paint light to dark. But I have no clue what spray paint would work best or what will just devour my sweet prop.

As they're saying, you can probably just go right over the existing paint job with either spray paint or brush on latex paint. It might make your job easier, though, if you start with either a white or a black primer coat, just to make sure everything's even before you start. I've always gone with Krylon when it comes to primer/clear coat sprays, but it doesn't really make a huge difference. https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K09188000-COVERMAXX-Primer-White/dp/B00PSO6YZI

Either way, if you're worried about too many paint layers gumming up the fine details on your prop, that is a risk but I think you'll find that trying to strip it down to the foam is gonna be completely impossible. You could sand it, but that's just as likely to destroy fine details.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
So I'm finally doing a costume I've been eyeing for a while--a Warlock from Destiny 2--and because of their distinctive helmets, I wanted to finally dip my toes into 3D printing. I was excited when I obtained the STL for the helmet directly from the game data but unfortunately, it was "solid" in the sense that there were no holes for the head or eyes. That is to say, rather than a hollow bucket-like helmet with a neck hole, it was more like a static helmet-shaped rock.

I figured out enough functionality in MeshLab to cut a hole in the neck, and one for the visor...but now I have new problems. After deleting those faces, the walls of the helmet have zero thickness, so I need to somehow thicken those walls inward so that it's "watertight" and also has thickness for printing.

After several days of haphazard Googling and trial-and-error, I know just enough about 3D modeling to be dangerous, but not enough to accomplish what I need. Unfortunately I don't really have the time (or inclination) to start educating myself at the VERY beginning just so that I can complete this one task...so can anyone either succinctly describe what I need to do, or possibly even lend me a hand directly?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Working on finishing weapons for my wife and I's mandalorian outfits for dragoncon this year. Been super busy so I didnt have time to properly texture my wife's gun so its still obviously 3d printed, but it looks sweet enough to be worth sharing

Last year at the con for reference:

Have to finish painting a couple more plates for myself and a make a new belt and some holsters for our guns/weapons.

The blaster was a fun diversion from my usual dayjob, I stole a model my wife liked off thingiverse and then promptly changed a huge majority of it (it is based off a westar 34) to be more what she wanted. I recently bought a taz 5 so suddenly things are cheap and easy to make :toot:

Patattack I might be able to help you out, but its always a pain to work from STLs directly. It might be easier to model entirely from scratch or from a base someone else has already done rather than try to use the STL from the game. Send me a PM and I can try to help you out or make some parts for you depending on my schedule, but I probably wont have much free time until after September 5th.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Working on finishing weapons for my wife and I's mandalorian outfits for dragoncon this year.

We have an entire thread, you know.

The Dragoncon Thread

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gonna double post since that was 2 days ago:

Tired: Having a Best Girl
Inspired: Being the Best Girl

that harness needs to be let out a little. project for weekend

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

YOU LOOK GREAT!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
With very little sewing experience, I am trying... a thing

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FISHMANPET posted:

With very little sewing experience, I am trying... a thing

That's the uniform from like the first episode before they decided on pants for everyone, right?

Good luck, though that's probably a good design to try for a beginner.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, they ditched by the end of Season 1. The guy that made the pattern is kind of over the top in going for screen accuracy. He got a hold of a (woman's) screen-used uniform and built a pattern based on that exact garment, then sized it and also made a men's version. Then he went EVEN FARTHER and designed a "conceptual" version that has the collar style of the later uniforms.

The original garment is kind of wild, Gene Rodenberry thought in the future clothing fastener technology would be so advanced that you'd never be able to see it's there, so it's got this weird pair of hidden zippers on the inside that expand to let you get in and out of it. Thankfully the Season 3 variant is a much simpler back zip, so other than figuring out my sizing (which I'm having an experience cosplay sewer help me with) the sewing shouldn't be toooo difficult.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
So I finally added a pulse rifle to my soldier 76. Need to add the usual grime and seam weathering but it pulls the whole affair together even as is. I'm looking forward to getting some proper photos at Dragoncon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rythe posted:

Can't you also seal most foam with standard, white elmer's glue?

You can, but if you care about your props lasting longer than a few months, you shouldn't unless they're VERY solid and have no flex at all in their use. PVA glue dries out and cracks in the long term. Using a rubber based sealant of some sort will be less prone to this, be it plasti-dip or other similar spray-on sealers, or straight up liquid latex.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I made some Jojo bathing suits for Colossalcon East and somehow they're the most popular things I've ever posted on social media?? Which is funny because I make a lot of sportswear/lingerie so they're super quick and low effort for me compared to my full cosplays. The Giorno is for a friend with a smaller hip, which is why I'm not wearing the bottoms. I've gotten so many inquires on making the whole Part 5 crew, I wish I hadn't done these on such a last minute whim.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I've got an ABS TIE Pilot helmet and armor coming, but it won't have any of the markings painted on it, and I kind of want some. I know which color to use (Humbrol gunmetal 53!), but I'm not sure if I should use enamel or acrylic. I've had both recommended, so I'm extra confused.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
My friends and I just debuted a couple of costumes from San Japan, that turned out wonderfully!

Anthy and Utena! My friend is the lovely tall Utena, I'm the Anthy. Reppin' the old school.

Sadly, this is the best full-body shot photo we have of us all. I think there are some tags on Instagram? Our Miki (in blue) made the majority of the costumes, I did the props. I'm a crocheter, so I made that Chu Chu! Our 4th friend was mostly a handler and making sure we weren't clogging up walkways.

My same two friends as Jasper and Lapis from Steven Universe. I've not watched the show, but people at the con lost it for them, so I'm super happy for them! I was briefly in costume that day because I was going to do a crossplay of the Demifiend from SMT: Nocturne, but the zentai suit needs to be re-done.

I had the best drat time, and I'm more inspired than burned out after the con. My friend taught me the basics of sewing, so now I'm working on a tabard/qi pao for Tir McDohl because I love Suikoden. If anyone has tips on how to make his bandanna, I'm all for it. I'm going to try out making those 50s style hair turbans as a base and go from there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey goons, a friend and I had the idea for a thing we wanna try, and I need a bit of help coming up with parts of it. We're attempting to create an sort of curio cart that can be pushed around and is stocked with all sorts of arcane goodies. We're looking for ideas for recognizable, but relatively small, curios, items, healing things, items of magic and power, and otherwise just weird stuff from any and all video game, anime, and other lore universes. The smaller the better, potions and easily crafted trinkets are best, but really anything will do as long as at least one person in the room might know what the thing is. Toss ideas at me to add to my list, please.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey goons, a friend and I had the idea for a thing we wanna try, and I need a bit of help coming up with parts of it. We're attempting to create an sort of curio cart that can be pushed around and is stocked with all sorts of arcane goodies. We're looking for ideas for recognizable, but relatively small, curios, items, healing things, items of magic and power, and otherwise just weird stuff from any and all video game, anime, and other lore universes. The smaller the better, potions and easily crafted trinkets are best, but really anything will do as long as at least one person in the room might know what the thing is. Toss ideas at me to add to my list, please.

I feel like if you're going to drag around a portable junk shop, one of you must absolutely be dressed like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
That sounds like a really cool and fun idea as long as the cart isn't too awkward to lug around! I'm interested to know how you plan to construct that more than anything else, because I've also thought about making a similar thing to sell merch at cons. A few ideas: pokeball, mushroom powerup, triforce, the one ring... you could just get a black pompom and some googly eyes and make one of the sootballs from Spirited Away :3: