Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lombok is super bad.

why?

the implementation is probably hideous but I haven’t run into any problems as a user

admittedly I don’t touch the parts that generate a bunch of methods, just lombok.val

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm also interested in what's bad about lombok

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

NihilCredo posted:

works fine in starcraft 2 actually

Now tb's gone anyway

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s not the new hotness anymore it’s bad

for example, subversion used to be considered good, now it’s considered the worst thing ever because git exists

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the way lombok interweaves the classfile at compile time is incredibly janky.

also it clashes with stuff like jackson

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also it completely breaks any sort of sane static analysis with tools like checkerframework.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm also interested in what's bad about lombok
As with many things in the region, the answer is "Australian Tourists"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

my garbage collector appears to be working

strange, my posts are still showing up

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/felixrieseberg/status/1032642127178547201

gary bernhardt's The Birth and Death of Javascript was intended and received as a joke, but it was actually incredibly on-point and deeply prophetic. this is the future now. dehumanize yourself and face to javascript

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
literally the future we were promised with java

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

TheFluff posted:

https://twitter.com/felixrieseberg/status/1032642127178547201

gary bernhardt's The Birth and Death of Javascript was intended and received as a joke, but it was actually incredibly on-point and deeply prophetic. this is the future now. dehumanize yourself and face to javascript

neat, the emulator is actually javascript and not compiled from c code

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

my garbage collector appears to be working

strange, my posts are still showing up
I'm running UINT32_MAX transactions overnight and so far it hasn't exploded memory

this is promising

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
swsp why are y'all writing Yet Another Data Store?

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

c tp s: i've finally snapped. i've forked gnu m4 and i'm rewriting it in C++17. I already ported the autotools portion over to cmake, and have ported a few files. its gotten to the point where the wget maintainer is following me and asking if i could please make it run faster. once the fork is semi-working im gonna take a stab at all of autotools to see if i can put together some sort of metadata extractor so you can at least get info on an autotools project in json or some bullshit so you dont have to run a configure script. i've spent like 3 days working on this port, and im worried im going to be the youngest person alive with experience regarding the m4 codebase

edit: by semi-working i mean it passes all tests on macOS and Linux, and sorta works on windows under msvc

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kotlin is pretty mediocre. platform types are really frustrating and it's adt/pattern matching support is disappointingly primitive

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

the talent deficit posted:

kotlin is pretty mediocre. platform types are really frustrating and it's adt/pattern matching support is disappointingly primitive

what's primitive about the pattern matching in kotlin? just curious

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redleader posted:

swsp why are y'all writing Yet Another Data Store?
It’s a research platform since there aren’t really any good (state-of-the-art, high performance) open-source in-memory DBMSes. All the good ones (Hekaton, Hyper, MemSQL, etc.) are closed source. There are older research platforms like H-Store/VoltDB but that’s long in the tooth at this point.

Our previous platform made some less-than-ideal design decisions and after spending 6 months trying to undo them, We convinced leadership to cut bait, start over (at least the components that are completely busted), and learn from past mistakes. Those mistakes were both in actual code and the original development process.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 24, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

All the good ones (Hekaton, Hyper, MemSQL, etc.) are closed source.

You forgot HANA. :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

You forgot HANA. :v:
Which is shameful since I read their garbage collection paper while working on this!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
what kinda db/gc you writing?

so i'm writing a read copy update style heap with keir's mcas algorithm and probably quiescent state based reclamation

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

c tp s: i've finally snapped. i've forked gnu m4 and i'm rewriting it in C++17.

l o l

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tef posted:

what kinda db/gc you writing?
HTAP in-memory. Our new storage engine is PAX-inspired column store but they’re in-memory blocks instead of disk pages. The MVCC protocol is a stripped down Hyper model with just SI, but we can extend it to Hyper’s precision-locking Serializable system with a reasonable amount of work in the future. GC is also pretty basic right now: non-cooperative background function that can prune unneeded deltas that are handed to it on commit/abort. Of the 3 optimizations in the HANA paper we just do the group collection since you get that for free with the Hyper MVCC scheme. We’ll need to add interval based collection soon, but for now it’s good for OLTP. I’m content with the storage layer for a month’s work.

The execution engine we’ll bring in is a Hyper-esque LLVM JIT which are all the rage in DBMSes right now. We’ve got a good one we wrote for our previous system, as well as a Bw-tree implementation. I’ll probably push for ART index eventually, but Bw-tree will work for now. Other stuff is pretty typical: Postgres parser, Cascades-style optimizer

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 24, 2018

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

The MVCC protocol is a stripped down Hyper model with just SI, but we can extend it to Hyper’s precision-locking Serializable system with a reasonable amount of work in the future.

there's always wal scanning

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm really jealous, that sounds so cool to work on.

maybe i'll write a little database.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i tried doing a bw-tree orignally but um, yeah, the paper omits so much detail, although the llama paper clears up some of it

in the end i'm going for an in-memory k-v trie with atomic update but no serizalize/linearize stuff

i have the feeling that a partitioned hash table with bucket locks will outperform it though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

c tp s: i've finally snapped. i've forked gnu m4 and i'm rewriting it in C++17. I already ported the autotools portion over to cmake, and have ported a few files. its gotten to the point where the wget maintainer is following me and asking if i could please make it run faster. once the fork is semi-working im gonna take a stab at all of autotools to see if i can put together some sort of metadata extractor so you can at least get info on an autotools project in json or some bullshit so you dont have to run a configure script. i've spent like 3 days working on this port, and im worried im going to be the youngest person alive with experience regarding the m4 codebase

edit: by semi-working i mean it passes all tests on macOS and Linux, and sorta works on windows under msvc

why are you doing this, again?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i had to triple check last page if im not in pl thread by accident (otoh no arguments about maven in sight)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I can't decide if I'm smart or stupid with what I've done here. I might have made a really cool reporting tool that allows dynamic definition and filtering of output with a mix of pre defined columns and random poo poo defined based on rules

Or I might have made a square wheel idk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
time to make crystal reports webscale

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

akadajet posted:

why are you doing this, again?

stepping stone to see if I can write a tool to extract build info and metadata from an autotools based build. if successful, it’ll help most of the effort in the c and c++ communities when it comes to dependency management

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

stepping stone to see if I can write a tool to extract build info and metadata from an autotools based build. if successful, it’ll help most of the effort in the c and c++ communities when it comes to dependency management

the first step to managing your dependency on c/c++ is to admit that you have a problem.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tef posted:

i tried doing a bw-tree orignally but um, yeah, the paper omits so much detail
yeah there were a lot of gaps to fill in for our group's paper

edit: also our implementation is open source but I can't speak to its quality from a software engineering standpoint since I didn't touch that code

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm really jealous, that sounds so cool to work on.

maybe i'll write a little database.
you could help us! :D

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

you could help us! :D

yeah, point me the right direction, i'll certainly take a look.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

time to make crystal reports webscale

severely triggered right now

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
ctps: golang. jfc I wish this lang had real error handling. I can only handle expected errors and if you have an unexpected error somewhere lmao good luck, and may all your panics not be silently recovered somewhere else.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
the fabled expected unexpected error

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Triglav posted:

the fabled expected unexpected error

At least in a good language like C# I have a try-catch-finally block I can use to handle these things, and it's very easy to know where in your shitstack of microservices something originated because you just comb through the logs of every service and look for the error origin. Wait, that actually sounds terrible, too. loving microservices.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i hate golang as much as anyone but dont they have some type of panic and recovery mechanism for goroutines?

now, you might have to copy paste a shitload of boilerplate across every single goroutine to actually handle panics within a process, but the capability seems there?

https://golangbot.com/panic-and-recover/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Finster Dexter posted:

At least in a good language like C# I have a try-catch-finally block I can use to handle these things, and it's very easy to know where in your shitstack of microservices something originated because you just comb through the logs of every service and look for the error origin. Wait, that actually sounds terrible, too. loving microservices.

Trace tokens are your friend