Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Whoever built that dam was a miracle worker. That dam has no right existing after being abandoned this long, let alone being operational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This game is actually interesting to me, it is very obvious a lot of heart and soul went into it. However, it's also equally obvious to me he had no one unrelated to development playtest the thing, because there's just so much awkward poo poo in it.

The atmosphere is very well done though, I was honestly on edge for a lot of the video because they really do communicate the dilapidated setting very well. Even though I knew it wouldn't actually happen, I instinctively kept expecting a wild animal or hostile homeless person to pop out, or for the building to just collapse on you.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Huh, I didn't know there was a spare fuse in that box. I actually thought that you had to bring one from the previous level with you somehow. Also: I didn't realise it was that easy to get into the sawmill, what the hell was my problem?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like that taking a picture of hole you created by dropping the engine or whatever that was is an objective. "It was like that when I got here."

I know you said that turning on the dam is required for something later but are the cave lights on regardless?

Tombot posted:

Huh, I didn't know there was a spare fuse in that box. I actually thought that you had to bring one from the previous level with you somehow. Also: I didn't realise it was that easy to get into the sawmill, what the hell was my problem?

Clearly you're not a highly trained infrastructure inspector. One that regularly risks life and limb to turn on abandoned, cracked, and flooded dams.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Next LP: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy confirmed.
But yes, the fact that the dam is still standing at all is a credit to it's constructors.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm getting a real Half-Life vibe from the past level; the dilapidation and aged decor reminded me of poking through the abandoned/older areas of Black Mesa and then our entire trip through City 17.

What really got me for this level though was that instead of doing the sensible thing and just putting a brick through the window of those doors, reaching though and unlocking them from the other side we instead thought it necessary to go crawling through the ventilation ducts (where noone would ever find us if we got stuck) and then perform a series of death defying jumps over an electrified pool... like anyone would've noticed a few additional pieces of broken glass and asked us what happened.

But we had no qualms punching holes in the floor of that sawmill then leaving a nice surprise deathtrap in the basement for the next idiot who follows us to stumble upon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So I might be crazy, but I swear there was a really obnoxiously hidden way to open that one door and all that's behind it is a reference to a football team. Is this a real thing or is my mind making poo poo up?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kibayasu posted:

I know you said that turning on the dam is required for something later but are the cave lights on regardless?
I think they're on always.

SSNeoman posted:

Is this a real thing or is my mind making poo poo up?
It can be unlocked with a cheat code, apparently.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm getting a real Half-Life vibe from the past level; the dilapidation and aged decor reminded me of poking through the abandoned/older areas of Black Mesa and then our entire trip through City 17.

It's made in the Source engine, so it uncannily looks like a 2009 Half-Life 2 mod.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This seems like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, except you're there investigating the safety violations that allowed all those incidents to happen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I remember there at least used to be an achievement for not messing anything up, such as creating that hole in the floor. There are also various other forms of damage we could create that SelenicMartian is avoiding because he's making use of a guide.

The missing key was on top of a TV somewhere in the sawmill, iirc.

The main utility of the "Heisenberg path" is it lets you get back into the dam past the point of no return in the sawmill. The game very quickly stops being so generous.

The graffiti on the sign is, in fact, part of a puzzle/ARG- I never learned how it ended, even though I was the one who started a guide for the dang thing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 16, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RIP Heisenberg

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

4/ On a job so big, this kind of discovery was bound to happen eventually...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Channeling our inner Resident Evil for this episode; creepy facility in the woods: check. Random dead body: check. Inexplicable puzzle in everyday setting: check. Secret tunnel network hiding in plain sight: check.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Fake doors, in a game that punishes you for missing things. Reminds me of some gmod maps I played back in the day.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This game really satisfies my need to poke around "work buildings" in a very satisfying way. They did a good job putting all these weird little offices tucked away in corners that reward exploration with lore bits.
The only real nitpicks I have is the pointless battery mechanic and the puzzles, like let the player use the phone as a menu/research tool.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 20, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tombot posted:

Fake doors, in a game that punishes you for missing things. Reminds me of some gmod maps I played back in the day.

There's fake doors and then there's fake doors that have the interact highlight around them.

I'm sure the cops are going to be delighted that the person who definitely only found the dead body and definitely didn't create the dead body left the scene and disappeared into a crumbling tunnel network.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm sure it will be fine.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm sure the cops are going to be delighted that the person who definitely only found the dead body and definitely didn't create the dead body left the scene and disappeared into a crumbling tunnel network.
They probably will be, but given that we smelled the body on our way in it's probably been a while, so we should be cleared pretty quickly.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's definitely one of those concessions they have to make for the sake of the narrative. The entire gameplay is walking around exploring, not talking to police, and some people may not even find the body if they weren't thorough.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
When he does have to talk about the corpse, he'll just be called as a witness to say "I found it in rotting asbestos-filled shithole in this particular area and only because I've been paid to audit the whole area for the sake of determining the cost of defucking it"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The text on the sheet covering the body was the crux of the ARG at the time I was toying with it- the words or phrases corresponding to the alphanumeric combos were hidden in places ranging from obvious (the sign graffiti in video 3) to impossibly obtuse (I'll point one of them out when you pass them). The instrument panels on machines, keyboards, tiny signs like the one at the train signalbox- the codes (and other, semirelated Deep Lore code things) are hidden throughout the game- at least the early parts. When I checked out, they were building up something even more absurdly complex in later parts, but the multiple progression screws SelenicMartian has identified drained my will to persist, and instead I went into payday 2 modding.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 21, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought the alphanumeric string on that blanket looked suspicious, well then. Given how obtuse some of the puzzles in this game are, I probably wouldn't be tempted to try and bash my face against an ARG designed by these guys.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
This game seems fun as heck so far, probably could have used a better dialogue writer but oh well. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Part 2 of 10? Seriously? Wow, here I thought it was just this workday and we were almost done but I guess we get to dick around in the office and then the wilderness some more! I'm excited.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Some one has already 'picked up' our car, remember? The only way back is to walk through all this dilapidated infrastructure. Our job apparently involves driving out to the wilderness and forcing ourselves to walk back to town instead of doing the sane thing and driving between sites. But at least it's great exercise and we can annoy the fresh air.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't know, that sounds much better than having my rear end on a chair all day, everyday.

I would have packed a lunch and some snacks, though, plus a few packs of Duracells made in this decade at least.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Our protag seems like the sort of guy who chuckles a lot while he writes you an email telling you how badly your facility needs repairs and how much it will probably cost you.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well all right then, one more sale on this game- your LP reminded me that INFRA exists, and that I was interested in it, so I bought it on a whim. About an hour or so in, and I'm almost to where you are, but not quite; it's janky, but in a charming way, and I'm really impressed by how big and juicy the levels are and the amount of places you can go in them. Also, dick moves are dick moves and should be used sparingly... but privately, I do admire it when a game allows its players to gently caress up, as it were. Confers respect, an acknowledgement that the player is smart enough/involved enough in the story to pay attention.

Re: the BBQ grill- they probably don't use it indoors, but it's not inconceivable they take it out for office parties/"morale-building" exercises. Which they probably do have; a document that was missed in the Sauna back in the first level is the Boss keeping track of the engineers drink contributions to what I assume to be joint sauna sessions/ relaxing afterwards. Mark apparently has donated the least, meaning he's either a cheap bastard, or the office teetotaler (i.e. a cheap bastard).

e: you did find it, my bad.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 22, 2018

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Dreadwroth posted:

Our protag seems like the sort of guy who chuckles a lot while he writes you an email telling you how badly your facility needs repairs and how much it will probably cost you.

Our protagonist is definitely one of those sorts of guys.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
IMO the reason why Markku doesn't contribute that much is because he prefers to spend his money to drink at home like a true working class Finn.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

5/ ???

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
That most certainly is gonna make for an interesting story to tell over a few beers.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Finding the secret skips a level? Well at least its not needed for the secret ending or anything but jeez.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
That is a hell of a secret.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh, so that's why the fuse for that door was so far away. That was the place they send obsessively committed inspectors like a completionist player. You just ran into the last one they stuck there back when the place was still running, that's all.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
I can't help but be really annoyed that while there are no working lights in that secret tunnel, all of your slightly reflective gear (safety jacket, flashlight, shirt, skin, etc) lights up as though the lights you're passing are on, and bright to boot.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What the ever loving gently caress was that?

Definitely some Umbrella Corporation laboratory mixed in with some Silent Hill.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
That's just your infinity tunnel with locked door set up that comes standard with any major tunnel infrastructure. Seems like its gotten a flying mask infestation, but given the state of neglect of the place, that's to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wanna say that might be a reference to Afraid of Monsters but idk