Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Doesn't everybody do that? I have a bunch of people on my list doing it too, but I have so many friends at this point that it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Got a group together to carpool to Nashville. Gonna have so many Unown!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Doesn't everybody do that? I have a bunch of people on my list doing it too, but I have so many friends at this point that it doesn't really matter.

Right? I have 199 friends on my list and I hope everyone is gaming the system to get max xp.

E: currently I'm just making GBS threads gifts out at the cyclic rate and prioritizing the top goons on my list until I need that next push.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

im assuming the "catch 3 days in a row" part of the new quest thingy is bugged? am i stuck?

I'm stuck in 2/3. Nothing I have done has gotten it resolved and niantic wont respond to me on twitter.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

im assuming the "catch 3 days in a row" part of the new quest thingy is bugged? am i stuck?

It was reverse bugged and some people got all three days at once.

omnibobb posted:

Got a group together to carpool to Nashville. Gonna have so many Unown!

Be on the lookout for Catch 10 Pokemon research. Reward is a Corsola!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Valicious posted:

I feel dirty for spending $20 for pokecoins, then buying 200 pokeballs. Sometimes the RNG sucks in this game, and tossing pokeballs using my nose is prone to wild misses sometimes. Still working on mastering curve balls. It’s hard to swirl in a circle consistently fast enough when my nose isn’t flat like a finger tip. Many a pokeball were sacrificed in my often fruitless attempts to master this dark art
( I can’t use my hands, so all interaction with the phone screen is made with my nose.)

It takes quite a while for people to learn with their hands, tbh.

I have noticed on some devices that you can do one quick circle and the ball will be in curve ball windup. I do it on very low CP stuff. So you probably don't need to do the full 5-10-15 circles that most people do.

OK so I went and tried it with my nose. If you can do two tight circles quick enough, you can let fly at the end of the second loop. Aiming is a pain in the rear end, but learning to aim is always a pain in the rear end with this game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's bugged. If you have a Gotcha/Go+ that may be part of the problem. Or the quest defines "day" in a different time zone than you would. Or it could be just bad coding.

It took me 7 catches on Day 3 to advance the quest.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a bug, possibly something to do with the Go+. I got the same thing. If you're stuck and have a Go+ or Go-tcha, you should be able to unstick yourself by using that to catch something.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
yeah no, i play this game pretty casually by jamming my hand sausages at the screen occasionally.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I cheesed my timezone to finish that quest in 2 days in order to get in front of 7 eggs that were about to hatch.

For a brief moment I felt bad about it but now a ton of people are bugged and I'm cruising through the Eevee steps so it just goes to show that cheaters will always win and Niantic is kinda poo poo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't, but I "get" people who do.

I had 8 eggs incubating for the quest at once and when they had like 300 meters to go, I checked if I had a lucky egg and was kind of relieved when I didn't, because to maximize that, I would have had to mass evolve poo poo and that is so unbelievably boring

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Got my first legendary, thanks to living in a college town and everyone coming back for the school year. Regirock!

That trade step of the Celebi quest is going to suck, because all my PoGo friends live hours away from me, so I'm going to have to actually interact with local people and bank some dust.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boo, we got clockblocked again, no EX pass this week.

On the bright side, just caught a shiny Natu!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got an ex pass for one of the gyms at work but it's for sunday afternoon :rip:

Also how does trading work, do I just pick a friend and put something in there and hope they'll send me something back? It sounds more like people are using that random swap thing from one of the previous games when they talk about trading.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm chilling on the Walk Eevee objective for a while because I need every km for this stupid Magikarp

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I got an ex pass for one of the gyms at work but it's for sunday afternoon :rip:

Also how does trading work, do I just pick a friend and put something in there and hope they'll send me something back? It sounds more like people are using that random swap thing from one of the previous games when they talk about trading.

You have to be within like 100m of each other for it to work. Generally the people trading are doing it with friends/significant others in their downtime at home or with others that they raid with.

It's been way more useful as an upgraded way to transfer unwanted pokemon than it is a method to barter for actual valuables.

My workflow:
Any pokemon that I catch gets an instant IV check with Calcy. If it's lvl 30+ or something that is uncommon/rare then I keep it and add a prefix of # to its name. Extra rare get a $ prefix, pokemon caught away from home get a * prefix to indicate that they'll qualify for a distance bonus. My girlfriend does something similar.

At the end of the day, we'll trade phones and look through each of our lists. Transfer anything that is completely unwanted and what remains is a stack of like 15+ pokemon that we will then swap with one another. We mainly focus on pokemon that we want extra candy for but also end up with an occasional lucky trade that is worth keeping. Pokemon marked with # get traded 1:1, but anything that I have marked with my rare symbol gets traded for her distant ones and vice versa so that we can squeeze out some bonus candy. (+2 if it's >10km, +3 if it's >100km).

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 24, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

You have to be within like 100m of each other for it to work. Generally the people trading are doing it with friends/significant others in their downtime at home or with others that they raid with.

It's been way more useful as an upgraded way to transfer unwanted pokemon than it is a method to barter for actual valuables.

I feel like the 100m thing completely defeats the point of trying to get pokes that aren't regional

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FYI your pokemon nicknames carry over with the transfer. So if you want to troll someone within punching distance of you there is that option.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like the 100m thing completely defeats the point of trying to get pokes that aren't regional

Agreed, though I expanded on my last point a bit in my post. Trades are nice for the occasional pokedex entry and every once in a while you can make a legitimate trade of useful pokemon that both people will use, but mostly it's just sending trash back and forth to get extra candy or luckies.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 24, 2018

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
If anybody's curious about step 4 of 8 for Celebi:

-Walk 10 KM with Eevee as your buddy to earn candy.
-Evolve Eevee into Espeon during the day.
-Send 20 gifts to friends.

Just hatched my 9 eggs and got this, wanted to post it in case people were curious.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

awww gently caress, quote is not edit.

I've been here for like 15 years and I think this is the first time I've done this. I am ashamed.

Here's a snippet of my current lucky collection so that it looks like this post was deliberate:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 24, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr Tran posted:

Be on the lookout for Catch 10 Pokemon research. Reward is a Corsola!

wait, tell me more

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

I got the same EX pass. Goldy's statue? I plan to come regardless. You should come too!

Turns out all you have to do is post about wanting Mewtwo and then -bam- you get an EX raid pass. :hellyeah:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Psion posted:

wait, tell me more

It may or may not be limited to Nashville area due to some Pokemon championship event going on right now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

Just hatched my 9 eggs and got this, wanted to post it in case people were curious.

The step after that is the same but Umbreon. And make a trade instead of send gifts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Teeter posted:

It may or may not be limited to Nashville area due to some Pokemon championship event going on right now.

oh, boo

so many of the current batch of field research tasks are really kind of bad, I would've loved that one :v:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Louisgod posted:

I can confirm the actual quest is to get two eevee candy from walking. I started that quest with about 4 KM on my Eevee and when it ticked over to 5 and I got the candy, the progress bar is at 1 of 2.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Siets posted:

I got the same EX pass. Goldy's statue? I plan to come regardless. You should come too!

Turns out all you have to do is post about wanting Mewtwo and then -bam- you get an EX raid pass. :hellyeah:

Hmmmm okay then. I REALLY want Mewtwo.

*proceeds to wait*

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Psion posted:

oh, boo

so many of the current batch of field research tasks are really kind of bad, I would've loved that one :v:

Agreed. I've done two of the excellent throw quests and got Onix each time instead of Scyther :argh: . I'm already pretty bored of most of the other ones they've got. Not that they're bad, they've just completely replaced everything else and I'd like a bit of diversity. I prefer the 500/1000 stardust or rare candy quests to just about any of these.

Currently I'm working on the 4 great curves in a row but I've failed on the fourth throw at least 3 times now, each time due to my own hubris. I have plenty of Miltank already but I kinda want to get one maxed out for gym defending.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's kind of interesting how they are rotating the EX Raid days, it's been two weeks in a row for a day then move to the next day for the next two weeks for a while now. I do hope the rumor of being able to transfer your EX Pass is true, there have been times I have been unable to go and would have loved to give it to someone who has never gotten one or hasn't gotten many...

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

omnibobb posted:

I can confirm the actual quest is to get two eevee candy from walking. I started that quest with about 4 KM on my Eevee and when it ticked over to 5 and I got the candy, the progress bar is at 1 of 2.

Additionally, if you get the glitch that gives two candies when it rolls over that 5km, it autocompletes. I did both the Espeon and Umbreon 10k walks in 5k that way.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kensei posted:

It's kind of interesting how they are rotating the EX Raid days, it's been two weeks in a row for a day then move to the next day for the next two weeks for a while now. I do hope the rumor of being able to transfer your EX Pass is true, there have been times I have been unable to go and would have loved to give it to someone who has never gotten one or hasn't gotten many...

Yeah, I believe the way it works is that you check the date of the next Mewtwo raid, and you can safely assume the next wave of passes will be sent out 1-2 days before that, depending on your timezone. (For example - next week's passes *should* go out 2 PM next Saturday EDT, because today's passes are for Mewtwo raids on next Sunday.)

When you get your pass, the raid is scheduled for 8 or 9 days out, which means 7-8 days between pass waves, so it gradually cycles through the days of the week.

None of this is exactly set in stone, though. Players have gotten very good at predicting this, but Niantic could change the rules at any time.

I just wish they'd address clockblocking. My local discord is getting really discouraged over it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Siets posted:

But Arkham... :rip:

Teeter posted:

Agreed, though I expanded on my last point a bit in my post. Trades are nice for the occasional pokedex entry and every once in a while you can make a legitimate trade of useful pokemon that both people will use, but mostly it's just sending trash back and forth to get extra candy or luckies.

Thanks for the expanded explanation, still a little confusing but I'll figure it out.

I assume I should just wait to trade with someone until we're level 3 friends to save the stardust cost?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Hi-oh is back

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hi-ho, it's Ho-oh!

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1033081612009984000

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

But Arkham... :rip:

Thanks for the expanded explanation, still a little confusing but I'll figure it out.

I assume I should just wait to trade with someone until we're level 3 friends to save the stardust cost?

If you're looking for new pokemon or legendaries, yes. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

95% of my trades are my girlfriend and I swapping things like Machop or Eevee to see if any get lucky. Those cost 100 stardust regardless of level.

The remaining portion of trades are rarer pokemon that I won't use, e.g. any spare Chansey or Scyther that come from research encounters. I will trade them away for some trash pokemon that was caught far away so that I can get 3 candy rather than 1. It's just a fancier way of transferring that gives extra candy and a small chance of a lucky pokemon for whomever is receiving them.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Is he going to be a level 5 raid?

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Is he going to be a level 5 raid?

Should be.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I missed out on the last Ho-Oh event and seriously want a shiny one, this rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Kowak posted:

Should be.

Oh balls

• Locked thread