Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i read Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam right before i started watching.

Sounds like a balanced volume on the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"balance" is the bastion of morons.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

cloudchamber posted:

Balance is not what I would look for if I'm out to learn something new. There is a vast area between biased, extremist and balanced, toothless content which offers perspectives I had not been aware of before I enjoy watching/reading about.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

cloudchamber posted:

teach the controversy I say

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
https://twitter.com/errolmorris/status/1022176687176462336

:stare:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mo Hawk posted:

Balance is not what I would look for if I'm out to learn something new. There is a vast area between biased, extremist and balanced, toothless content which offers perspectives I had not been aware of before I enjoy watching/reading about.

balance is stupid because reality isn't "balanced".

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Groovelord Neato posted:

balance is stupid because reality isn't "balanced".

And sometimes it IS fun to watch a batshit crazy conspiracy theory documentary, just to kind of do a gut-check, "do I really believe Uncle Sherman about 'back in Nam'?"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If you want a good conspiracy movie watch Chris Smith's Collapse. You're really drawn into the Michael Ruppert's web of derangement. It's all speckled with just enough truth about the way power operates in the world that it's easy to want him to be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhjqCd7Eec

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

And sometimes it IS fun to watch a batshit crazy conspiracy theory documentary, just to kind of do a gut-check, "do I really believe Uncle Sherman about 'back in Nam'?"

watching room 237 was a hoot cuz i thought it was gonna be a documentary about the making of/themes/etc of the shining and the people talking just got more and more insane.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The best part in Room 237 was that "Kubrick faked the moon landing" guy who accidentally spelled moron instead of moon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If you want a good conspiracy movie watch Chris Smith's Collapse. You're really drawn into the Michael Ruppert's web of derangement. It's all speckled with just enough truth about the way power operates in the world that it's easy to want him to be right.

Seconding this, it's a good 'un.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Was that the guy that was on Vice for a couple videos?

fake e: yes it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNVHbzlzUS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWWdeTERAsc

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"The Staircase" prosecutor Freda Black found dead at 57.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Did she fall down the stairs?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No, she got hit by an owl.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

BAI SEXUAL

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God that lady reminded me of so many old women at my grandmother's church.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I want to watch this, but I just can't commit to 90 minutes of somebody completely spewing bullshit ideas. I did that enough with my stoner best friend back in high school. I can take a movie of a variety of conspiracy fruitcakes, each with their own crazy cake, but just one fruitbat rambling for 90 minutes? Augh.

(totally pre-judged the movie based on your description, so, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: and YEAH, I totally said the exact opposite just six posts above this one no you shut up.

magnificent7 posted:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aprPbaq1V04

If ever there was a documentary that screamed to be made.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Quick question, since the name rings a bell: Was "The Staircase" on Netflix any good? I feel like I recall hearing about it in here.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yes. It’s up there with the best true crime/courtroom documentaries in my book. It’s a hell of a ride.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Quick question, since the name rings a bell: Was "The Staircase" on Netflix any good? I feel like I recall hearing about it in here.

It's very good, but it's far too long IMO. I know the nature of it being like three separate seasons combined into one is why, but there's a lot of repetition and the stuff outside of the original run didn't need to be as long as it was.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Are there any good follow up reads on that case that dive in to what the documentary didn't show? Based on what I saw in the documentary I have no idea if he did or did not do it, but it feels very much like he shouldn't have been convicted.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Asnorban posted:

Are there any good follow up reads on that case that dive in to what the documentary didn't show? Based on what I saw in the documentary I have no idea if he did or did not do it, but it feels very much like he shouldn't have been convicted.

My initial thought was "he probably did it but there was reasonable doubt... I'm not sure why the jury found him guilty?!" But then, especially in the newer stuff it becomes clear the documentary crew left some stuff out intentionally. How was the footprint on the back of her leg NEVER in the original series??? That seemed really damning. So then I just felt like I didnt' get near enough of a balanced view to make a decision. Still really fun though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Derren Brown: The Push is on Netflix, in which a mentalist magician enlists a crowd of actors to help guide a supposedly unaware subject through a variety of increasingly crazy scenarios culminating in what the subject believes to be murder. Pretty interesting take on what could arguably be a case study form of a documentary.

"So now he's dragging a dead body out of the room without questioning it, this is good"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Derren Brown is awful do not watch his crap :mad:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Used to think he was the poo poo when I first saw his special in the 90s (before he had a TV show etc), but he lost me completely with that stupid lottery thing. Can’t go back after them at.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
edit: wrong thread

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 23, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Derren Brown is awful do not watch his crap :mad:

Why's that? Never heard of him before.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

baquerd posted:

Why's that? Never heard of him before.

It’s all fake bullshit. Stooges, tricky editing, brute force, etc.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Isn't it only fake in the same way that all magic is obviously not real?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think a good magician learns skillful tricks in order to convey something else happening. Slight of hand work, especially close up, is difficult to pull off so even though you know they’re not physically manipulating objects through space with their mind, it’s still clever and has you scratching your head as to how it worked.

The example of Derren I gave was his lottery guess, where he specifically said they weren’t going to use camera tricks to do it. He then went and used a camera trick. It was easy to guess, and easy to execute. The guy is obviously very talented, and it was such a cheap trick that it ruined his act for me. What’s to stop him just using actors and camera tricks going forward, I might as well just watch Now You See Me or whatever.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Am I remembering wrong but wasn't Derren Brown one of the guys who fully acknowledged that it's all misdirection and bullshit what he does?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stare-Out posted:

Am I remembering wrong but wasn't Derren Brown one of the guys who fully acknowledged that it's all misdirection and bullshit what he does?

As opposed to ... what? Being actually magical?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You're right, he does say it's all bullshit. To the guy above, what exactly was the easy trick he pulled off in the lottery one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BonoMan posted:

As opposed to ... what? Being actually magical?

No, as opposed to even pretending that it's something other than blatant suggestion and misdirection. It comes across to me that even if he says that no trickery was used in something he does, he still does cheat and use camera tricks and that's kind of the point. I'm not terribly familiar with the things he's done but he's always struck me as more of a debunker than anything else from what I've heard.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
There is something stupid about a magician explicitly saying “this isn’t how I do it” and then immediately doing that thing.

Obviously adults watch magic for the moment of mystery. Either let that have its own life, or be crazy good like Penn and Teller and tell people how you’re going to accomplish the trick...and then STILL astound them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Perfect Bid on Hulu is a very fun and entertaining doc on a Price is Right contestant.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I started watching Paradise Lost on HBO, and I’m on part 2 now.

Holy poo poo the stepdad of one of the victims just basically screams ‘I’m the murderer’ at me. And that was even before he gets weirder in part 2.

E: fair warning, they do not censor the little boys’ naked corpses.

E: holy poo poo, the big twist in episode three; the previously suspicious stepdad going all super-sleuth

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: fair warning, they do not censor the little boys’ naked corpses.

It's like 4 minutes into the first one, too. No warning at all. I'm surprised I watched em back in the day.