Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqBYziYBAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How about C-130s landing on carriers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Hawkeyes are cool as hell.

Surely somebody in here has been strapped into one for a day job-- how loud are they on the inside? Every turboprop I've ever been anywhere near has been distressingly loud, and those are right up next to the fuselage because carrier aviation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Surely somebody in here has been strapped into one for a day job-- how loud are they on the inside? Every turboprop I've ever been anywhere near has been distressingly loud, and those are right up next to the fuselage because carrier aviation.

WHAT?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

the hearse in this vid is cold war as heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOx7PprEC2s&t=164s

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

OK, what the gently caress.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What am I looking at here?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

OK, what the gently caress.

Spell it out for an literal babby when it comes to this sort of thing: what's being circled here?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's a blinged-out ceremonial SKS/Type 63 rifle.

Classic North Korean style.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Why is there a cupcake in the sky?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LingcodKilla posted:

Why is there a cupcake in the sky?

Glorious People's Korea Flying Cupcake Technology is decades ahead of the corrupt West.

This thing with some fog added I assume

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

glynnenstein posted:

Oh yeah, that's the one with the triangular bayonet so the wounds can't close?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
According to The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Warfare, "bayonets with long triangular cross-sections were stronger in the charge and thrust than single or double bladed weapons" (Page 414). They are also easier to forge in some cases. The wound, or stitching part, of the myth, is just myth.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

Thanks! Due to video quality, it looked like smudges of silver paint. And since the sailors/marines there had silver AKs, I wondered what the deal with dirty SKSs was.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Bend over and think of freedom.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If this was Cold War, he'd talking about nukes on tractors

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rigged with deadman switches recycled from the finest 80's era lucas brand electrical components, installed by the lowest bidding corporation (that his wife is on the board of directors for), crewed by proud, part time g4s agency staff :britain:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

That's a paddlin.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Proper Kerni ng posted:

They're definitely way louder than a passenger aircraft, but you wear double hearing protection inside them (earplugs + hemlet or headset) so it's not all that bad. Like, if your intercom system fails you can still communicate by shouting to the guy next to you if needed. But just barely.

Supposedly the E-2D cockpit is noisier than the E-2C for various reasons, but I haven't noticed much of a difference in the back. If anything the D was a little quieter, though that might just be because the soundproofing paneling was a few decades newer.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

This motherfucker most be reading TFR because we literally talked about tractor guns like 5 days ago.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
So I made the mistake of reading a Popular Mechanics article. In it I came across this sentence:

Popular Mechanics posted:

Still, the specter of the F-2 program, widely considered a failure that barely resulted in usable airplane, hangs over the prospect of any future aircraft cooperation.

I had not read about the F-2 being considered a failure before? As I understand it, it's an embiggened F-16 with an AESA radar, what's not to like? I understand it may have been expensive, but the article seems to suggest it's crap too.

While I'm asking questions about things I find odd, this article claims the first time the West was able to get hands on a MiG-17 was 1968! I find this fairly incredible, anyone care to comment on the accuracy of this claim?

slothrop fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 24, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not shown: operator suffocation

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The F-2 is basically just the Agile Falcon concept with added ASW capability. My understanding is that it’s considered a failure, primarily because it was hilariously expensive.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
By all reports its a fine fighter and probably better than the F-16, but not four times better. The technology exchange involved in building it was also very favorable for the US and unfavorable for Japan - Japan basically gave the US the tech they developed, while having to keep paying royalties for the US tech. And to top it all off, there was a tacit understanding that Japan was taking this kind of lovely deal in exchange for continuing future access to top-line American fighters, only to have the US renege and actually pass a law that the F-22 couldn't be exported.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Japan also has laws written into place about not exporting military technology. So with that, the F-2 can't be sold to mitigate any costs and even if they did it's not built around any particular defense needs that other nations would look at and say, "yeah we need that". It was built around Japan's particular defense needs which included increased anti-ship capability to prevent invasion since the majority of the JASDF consist of F-15 for air defense needs. Topping it off is the fact any other nation could just buy new or used F-16's or any of the other upgraded 4 or 4.5 Gen fighters that have been heavily pitched to every country trying to upgrade their fighter fleets.

I've never heard any solid reports about the F-2 since the JASDF don't seem to travel much for international air exercises typically, but it's kind of akin to the F-16 the way the Super Hornet is to the Hornet. Larger airframe with more lift, slower because its heavier and larger but has the same engine as the F-16 and better avionics with the AESA radar. But since LM has continually developed the F-16 into Block 60 and 70 versions it's well been surpassed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They're definitely way louder than a passenger aircraft, but you wear double hearing protection inside them (earplugs + hemlet or headset) so it's not all that bad. Like, if your intercom system fails you can still communicate by shouting to the guy next to you if needed. But just barely.

Supposedly the E-2D cockpit is noisier than the E-2C for various reasons, but I haven't noticed much of a difference in the back. If anything the D was a little quieter, though that might just be because the soundproofing paneling was a few decades newer.

Do those headphones cancel noise or just bring it down to 80 DB or so

e: I've never heard of this Navy Captain, but it's a real live Caine Mutiny

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 25, 2018

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I could never do double hearing protection. Couldn't hear poo poo on the radio no matter how loud I had it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

I could never do double hearing protection. Couldn't hear poo poo

Walked into that one

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Aren't there earplugs that double as earbuds?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Hauldren Collider posted:

Yes, but I’ve yet to see one compatible with a military aircraft interphone/radio system. I’m sure if they exist they cost more than I’m willing to pay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

standard.deviant posted:

I’m sure if they exist they cost more than I’m willing to pay.

They'd probably be issue and cost more than I would be willing to pay.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

The two in-ear earpro-headset combos I've seen most often are Invisio and Silynx. They both advertise the ability to interface with helo and plane communication systems, but how and to what extent I have no clue.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

I could never do double hearing protection. Couldn't hear poo poo on the radio no matter how loud I had it.

Our helmet earphones are tuned painfully loud if you don't have plugs in. The couple of times I've forgotten to put earplugs in, like doing radio checks on the ground, it was a very unpleasant surprise.

There are, they're called CEP and anyone who wants them can get a set fitted and issued. They plug into a little splitter jack that gets installed on your helmet. I've never bothered with them but some guys love them.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You're thinking of earplug sized devices that have enough kick to counter 120dB sounds and also insert the sounds you want. Obviously possible, I just don't see it in an earplug sized form factor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You're thinking of earplug sized devices that have enough kick to counter 120dB sounds and also insert the sounds you want. Obviously possible, I just don't see it in an earplug sized form factor.
They do exist and they’re loving great actually.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

evil_bunnY posted:

They do exist and they’re loving great actually.

Are those available for tankers to hook into CVC helmet?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Valtonen posted:

Are those available for tankers to hook into CVC helmet?

Tankers are much cheaper to make than flyboys, so... not likely. But everything can be free with a sock full of poo poo (and coins)

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mllaneza posted:

They'd probably be issue and cost more than I would be willing to pay.
They’d probably be issued to people more important than me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The goal here is that you could put them inside your Dave Clark/Bose/whatever headsets so you can communicate and still use two layers of hearing protection.