Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

that's kind of the point that reddit etc. seem to be missing in replying to this, when they say "this isn't abnormal for a software dev shop in a hurry"

these are cars

cars kill people on the reg

move fast, break legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
until I start seeing some 8/24/2018 regdates posting (which probably won't happen until the MODS!!! put up da paywall) I think this is rather underwhelming

we get linked on twitter, HN, and reddit and suddenly we're all getting the vapors and our shitposts are almost turning into whitenoiseposts

Zamujasa posted:

move fast, break legs

this would have been a beautiful snype

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how many times can i post *slurping and gagging noises* on different posts before i get banned from that subreddit?

let's find out!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prisoner of waffles posted:

until I start seeing some 8/24/2018 regdates posting (which probably won't happen until the MODS!!! put up da paywall) I think this is rather underwhelming

we get linked on twitter, HN, and reddit and suddenly we're all getting the vapors and our shitposts are almost turning into whitenoiseposts

YOSPOS, bithc?

:chloe:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

All my posts are whitenoise

Who cares just post

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

I WENT VIRAL AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY AVATAR

Ciaphas posted:

to me that's one of the more fascinating parts about your posts

every software dev shop in existence has at least some smattering of inane nonsense going on where the fingers meet the keyboard; it's just that in this case it's attached to high speed heavy and poorly constructed machines

yeah true - i'd be far, _far_ more worried about autopilot (any vendor's, not just tesla), than some dumb infotainment firmware. as i said, tesla does follow the safety guidelines - you can drive the car safely with infotainment down, but the creature comforts are gone like ac

my poasts are just examples of how lovely infotainment can be, but car security is hard. the thing was running ubuntu 10.04 forever on Nvidia's lovely pdk so as soon as it shipped it was vulnerable. firmware development is a balance of limitations

if you think tesla has it bad, ohhh man. there are other connected cars (jeep) which have been demonstrably remote-rooted in really horrific ways. there's a bunch of poo poo coming out of china that was made by the Chinese company and Bosch/delphi/whoever and i guarantee you they don't do due diligence like we did. my point in general being that connected cars, privacy, security - these are industry wide issues and should be addressed

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

we get linked on twitter, HN, and reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtChPB6NjJY

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
didn't that recent teardown review note that all the missing bolts and mismatched fabrication indicate structural problems that are likely to undermine collision performance

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart-powered cars posted:

yeah true - i'd be far, _far_ more worried about autopilot (any vendor's, not just tesla), than some dumb infotainment firmware. as i said, tesla does follow the safety guidelines - you can drive the car safely with infotainment down, but the creature comforts are gone like ac

my poasts are just examples of how lovely infotainment can be, but car security is hard. the thing was running ubuntu 10.04 forever on Nvidia's lovely pdk so as soon as it shipped it was vulnerable. firmware development is a balance of limitations

if you think tesla has it bad, ohhh man. there are other connected cars (jeep) which have been demonstrably remote-rooted in really horrific ways. there's a bunch of poo poo coming out of china that was made by the Chinese company and Bosch/delphi/whoever and i guarantee you they don't do due diligence like we did. my point in general being that connected cars, privacy, security - these are industry wide issues and should be addressed

good news though is that the jeep won't work long enough for an exploit to be useful

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm just getting a musk article

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ciaphas posted:

aight fine enjoy your 20 year old joke i guess

forum motto

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
because if you're even having problems with how your parts are being stamped out i could easily believe that a rolling battery would liquify its occupants in a crash before the lithium fire becomes a problem

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

because if you're even having problems with how your parts are being stamped out i could easily believe that a rolling battery would liquify its occupants in a crash before the lithium fire becomes a problem

tesla had less fatalities than usual until autopilot - I'm a firm believer they oversold the thing, in marketing speak, in what it could do, in how you should treat it. excluding autopilot there were stories of people smashing into brick walls at 80mph and walking away, but any car you abuse could kill you or someone else

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just wanted to say, this thread could not have gone viral with a better title

good job, goons

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

tesla had less fatalities than usual until autopilot - I'm a firm believer they oversold the thing, in marketing speak, in what it could do, in how you should treat it. excluding autopilot there were stories of people smashing into brick walls at 80mph and walking away, but any car you abuse could kill you or someone else

a norwegian poster in AI survived a p horrific accident thanks to his tesla iirc

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

good news though is that the jeep won't work long enough for an exploit to be useful

lmao

movax
Aug 30, 2008

do we know each other? :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

a norwegian poster in AI survived a p horrific accident thanks to his tesla iirc

this is kind of a specious statement

he survived a horrific accident in his tesla, maybe he would have been just as well off in a gas car, maybe not. too many variables.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

someone should post about the relationship between bosch / other t1 suppliers and tesla

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Reddit sucks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

this is kind of a specious statement

he survived a horrific accident in his tesla, maybe he would have been just as well off in a gas car, maybe not. too many variables.

harsh but fair

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Source4Leko posted:

Reddit sucks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

didn't that recent teardown review note that all the missing bolts and mismatched fabrication indicate structural problems that are likely to undermine collision performance

they loving decided to just remove like a quarter of the spot welds in the frame they determined as unnecessary on the fly and didn't re-run crash tests or anything

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
well if it's going to be that kind of party i guess it's time for me to admit that i'm grimes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i'm sure they were also of better build quality before the muskman's compensation was directly tied to the stock price and he went balls deep into trying to crank out as much car-shaped garbage as he could

the only criticisms i ever heard about the model s from before all that were just the unexpectedly mediocre interiors

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trig Discipline posted:

well if it's going to be that kind of party i guess it's time for me to admit that i'm grimes

we knew that, it's right there in the corner of your posts!!!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

sounds fishy

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

movax posted:

do we know each other? :stare:

only did cars for a while tesla ruined my taste for it but i keep up a little bit. the china stuff is really interesting because they're making some really neat looking cars that look totally unsafe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Trig Discipline posted:

lookin forward to your upcoming fish-jelqing concept album

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Trig Discipline posted:

grahhhms eh've dun tyuu much ecid

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

what's the invisible world

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
everybody make sure to contribute to my card game kickstarter, Grimes Against Humanity

fart-powered cars
Apr 19, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

harsh but fair

the crumple zone of the frunk was sometimes cited as the life-saving measure - all that stuff should be in the nhsta reports or whatever

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm grime

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

atomicthumbs I hope you're happy about reigniting the amber/greenpos wars.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how can we fight against the cyberfascists when we are busy fighting ourselves about css colours?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
we're gonna need a truth and reconciliation committee up in the 219

movax
Aug 30, 2008

only did cars for a while tesla ruined my taste for it but i keep up a little bit. the china stuff is really interesting because they're making some really neat looking cars that look totally unsafe

not only do they look unsafe, pray that the results of software audits and functional safety assessments never become public

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Reddit attention for dumb reasons is the weld that keep this dead forum chugging. You don't want to remove that weld do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

we're gonna need a truth and reconciliation committee up in the 219

The truth is your posting is bad