Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It's funny to think that Jonas, Sr. would probably have lived if they hadn't been so secretive about the PROBLEM light. Rusty was unable to fix it because he had no idea it was an advanced progressive life extension module and thought it was just an error light for Gargantua-1. (I've had tech support calls like that.)

Yeah but the double combination of not necessarily really wanting Jonas back but still following his last wishes, plus not necessarily having faith in Rusty to do science good, I can see why they just left it alone. Especially since Gargantua 1 crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was Doc Hammer's response to fans at a con asking about the return of Kim.

It was in reference to Dr Girlfriend versus Molotov fight thank you

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
It's great that at the beginning of this season we see Vatred leading a group of young boys on the tour and he seems perfectly normal!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

It's funny to think that Jonas, Sr. would probably have lived if they hadn't been so secretive about the PROBLEM light. Rusty was unable to fix it because he had no idea it was an advanced progressive life extension module and thought it was just an error light for Gargantua-1. (I've had tech support calls like that.)

there was nothing to fix, the problem light was retconned as jonas waking up. at that point he was fixed and rusty would have just broken him again

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Arm_Fruit posted:

It's great that at the beginning of this season we see Vatred leading a group of young boys on the tour and he seems perfectly normal!

Yeah they probably realize finally that the pedophile jokes are lame as poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sash! posted:

It was in reference to Dr Girlfriend versus Molotov fight thank you

That's a pretty specific thing to know about someone else

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah they probably realize finally that the pedophile jokes are lame as poo poo

Also the boobs. Vatred is a great character formed out of a quilt of just rotten material, and it really boils down to the voice work being Trey Parker levels of good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ironslave posted:

It's so strange to me that the entire Vendata thing paid off.

The show has had a long history of setting things up, only to deflate them at the last moment as a joke, or completely changing the direction of a reveal supposedly because the creators saw people online guessing it or calling it. And then we have this, across three seasons, set-up, speculated, predicted, and paid off entirely. And in the process they also revealed a few of the bigger mysteries of the show; I was not expecting them to ever reveal how Jonas died, or go into the Monarch's history any further.

I love it all, but it's the exact opposite of what I've come to expect of the show. Which might be the point: when what you expect is subversion, only real way to do it anymore is to play it straight.

I'll tell you, it sure was nice to have goons finally stop going 'Duh, of course they're going to conclude a major mystery and plot development in the most unsatisfying and irritating way possible so they can rehash a joke they already did before, can't get past me Hammer :smug:'.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's a bit rich that Rusty complains that Jonas is a terrible person when he's just as bad. Their whole lineage is filled with monsters. Lloyd Venture acted like he was working for the best of humanity, but his workers died in a fire when he had the doors locked (ala the triangle shirtwaist factory fire). Jonas pretends he's working to make humanity better but he treats his son and his closest friends like garbage. He abandoned a bunch of kids in an underground complex. Rusty likes to think he could possibly make humanity better but always fails at it. Along the way he treats his kids just as terribly as he was treated himself. He lets a bunch of college interns get killed when working on his project. I wonder if Dean will be just as terrible. He seems to actually care about how things affect other people.

I kind of want to see what Jonas' childhood was like. Maybe Lloyd took him on terrible adventures when looking for exotic felts and fabrics.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think it was Lloyd's father who was the milliner...and Lloyd's zeppelin might have crashed into the factory and caused the fire!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Also, he made a telepathic virtual reality machine using, among other unorthodox parts, the heart of a forsaken child.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think it was Lloyd's father who was the milliner...and Lloyd's zeppelin might have crashed into the factory and caused the fire!

I just checked again. Lloyd is the milliner but he's apparently Jonas' grandfather not his father like I had originally said.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
episode 4 is up streaming early in the us

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/the-high-cost-of-loathing/

try using internet explorer or edge without adblock

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's a bit rich that Rusty complains that Jonas is a terrible person when he's just as bad.

The difference, at least as far as the viewers are concerned, is that this is Rusty's story, and we're shown all along the way how his father and his terrible upbringing are responsible for the way he is today. Jonas doesn't get that excuse. Even if Lloyd Venture was a similarly lovely parent, the Jonas we've seen hasn't been affected by it -- he's immensely successful and genuinely the greatest scientist of his generation, he's incredibly confident in himself and motivated, he's proactive and doesn't passively let the world affect him like Rusty, and he's a real leader of men as far as we've seen with Team Venture.

I mean, they can reveal that all of it was a facade he created because he was scared of his overmasculine father or whatever, but we never see it, Rusty never sees it, and even if we did, Jonas gives the impression of someone firmly in command of himself and doing what he wants to do. In comparison, Rusty's life has never seemed very under his control.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think Jonas is morally worse and that Rusty is reasonably well adjusted and moral for being raised by sociopaths.

Jonas wouldn't have taken Killenger's offer because of his image. Rusty didn't because it was wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phenotype posted:

The difference, at least as far as the viewers are concerned, is that this is Rusty's story, and we're shown all along the way how his father and his terrible upbringing are responsible for the way he is today. Jonas doesn't get that excuse. Even if Lloyd Venture was a similarly lovely parent, the Jonas we've seen hasn't been affected by it -- he's immensely successful and genuinely the greatest scientist of his generation, he's incredibly confident in himself and motivated, he's proactive and doesn't passively let the world affect him like Rusty, and he's a real leader of men as far as we've seen with Team Venture.

I mean, they can reveal that all of it was a facade he created because he was scared of his overmasculine father or whatever, but we never see it, Rusty never sees it, and even if we did, Jonas gives the impression of someone firmly in command of himself and doing what he wants to do. In comparison, Rusty's life has never seemed very under his control.

Even so, Rusty of all people knows how bad of an experience it is. It doesn't give him the right to perpetuate it onto his children. I was wrong earlier and Lloyd was actually Jonas' grandfather. Maybe Jonas' father was a decent person and that's why we never hear about him. He took over his father's business and told his son to get into science instead because it would be better than running a business in a dying industry. Then Jonas just turns into a complete rear end in a top hat on his own.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

I think Jonas is morally worse and that Rusty is reasonably well adjusted and moral for being raised by sociopaths.

Jonas wouldn't have taken Killenger's offer because of his image. Rusty didn't because it was wrong.

i think rusty was more worried about his internal image. he doesn't see himself as being a bad guy even if he behaves like one a lot of the time

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Gary Cole outta nowhere! :sun:

Also, c'mon - gotta fit Warriana back in somewhere. I want more character development for Brock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rusty at least has some self reflection on what he does.

Dr. Venture: Brock… am I a bad person?
Brock: Doc, what the hell just happened?
Dr. Venture: Am I, Brock?
Brock: Ehhhh…

I can't imagine Jonas having that same conversation

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Episode is up on [as] website.

It's pretty good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gary Cole outta nowhere! :sun:

Also, c'mon - gotta fit Warriana back in somewhere. I want more character development for Brock.

she'll be back. we finally got some dean time!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Rusty at least has some self reflection on what he does.

Dr. Venture Senior: Brock.... Did I help out my friends enough?
Brock: Doc, what the hell just happened?
Dr. Venture Senior: Aren't I just the most helpful guy ever to walk the earth?
Brock: Ehhhh…

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo this is going to be a good season.

THE MONARCH IS AUDITING THIS CLASS! Oh, hey Dean Venture!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like how the Monarch absolutely hates Dr. Venture but seems cordial to his sons.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Rusty's not nearly as bad as his father in that he is occasionally introspective and understands why he's so hosed up. Recognizing he's hosed up even if he rarely tries to do much about it is a step above what we've seen from Jonas. He does care about his sons even if it gets misplaced sometimes. For all the bravado about JJ he also cared about him too. It seems abundantly clear Jonas cared about nothing but himself and his image.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Think Tank survived! :unsmith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This episode was fantastic too omg. I wish it was a 45 minute show, I just want every episode to be twice as long.

What was the nerd reference that 21 busted out in the car? I couldn't catch the name.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Rusty's not nearly as bad as his father in that he is occasionally introspective and understands why he's so hosed up. Recognizing he's hosed up even if he rarely tries to do much about it is a step above what we've seen from Jonas. He does care about his sons even if it gets misplaced sometimes. For all the bravado about JJ he also cared about him too. It seems abundantly clear Jonas cared about nothing but himself and his image.

Plus, unlike Rusty, Jonas seems to think that (or at least act like) he's "helping" people when he's doing stuff like blackmailing them or turning them into undead cyborg servants. Rusty at least seems to realize that the poo poo he does is bad and selfish.

Also anyone else notice the line "robotic fingers, they linger" in the Rusty Venture musical?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pretty safe to assume the shirt this week is going to be the Handy Dandy logo.

Phenotype posted:

What was the nerd reference that 21 busted out in the car? I couldn't catch the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piter_De_Vries

He was on a "Dune" kick.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Phenotype posted:

Paul Atreides.

This season just keeps being better, and this was a Dean episode and a Hank episode? They've really both managed to turn into actual human beings this year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus, unlike Rusty, Jonas seems to think that (or at least act like) he's "helping" people when he's doing stuff like blackmailing them or turning them into undead cyborg servants. Rusty at least seems to realize that the poo poo he does is bad and selfish.

Also anyone else notice the line "robotic fingers, they linger" in the Rusty Venture musical?

There have been hints about about Venturion over the years. When Ghost Robot goes undercover and Brock beats up Vendata to take his armor, Rusty shouts ""The metal murder man from my nightmares! He was real!" when he sees Brock.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for that pair of German AirBnBers who got presumably Samson'd to death.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I loved the double fakeout where there were the boxes of jWatches, then there were canisters of uranium inside, then the sticker falls off and it's pomade.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New episode is hilarious.

I hope Think Tank recovers

My god, Doc going through the window and then passing out while wearing a hover belt

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I hope Hank & Dean don't end up fighting over Sirena. That doesn't seem very Hank.
^^Hover belt was cool. Wonder if Rusty did anything to it vs JJ. Looked the same^^

I can't wait to rewatch the end of last season with this seasons 3 to get the full weight of it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

deong posted:

I hope Hank & Dean don't end up fighting over Sirena. That doesn't seem very Hank.
^^Hover belt was cool. Wonder if Rusty did anything to it vs JJ. Looked the same^^

I can't wait to rewatch the end of last season with this seasons 3 to get the full weight of it.

I kind of want Doc to sell those hover belts at a price only the ultra-wealthy can afford...then have them malfunction due to his penchant for cost-cutting and send them all rocketing spaceward to their deaths.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They’re setting up Hank to be a super villain, aren’t they.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

asecondduck posted:

They’re setting up Hank to be a super villain, aren’t they.

Hank tends to roll with poo poo. It's very Hank of him.

Dean, on the other hand...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do like that Dr. Z seems to have a bit of a soft spot for the Monarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know why, but I laughed when I saw a magazine in the background and it was called "Forbles"