Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

I've done wall climbing a few times before and it was kind of fun, but I'm looking for something I can do solo - is bouldering something I can do, renting shoes/etc. initially and just go every couple of weeks on my own at first? Or am I going to need to get specific lessons/buy gear to get anything out of it?

Bouldering is a perfect way to get into the sport. Just need shoes. You don’t have to talk to anyone or have a belayer with you.

Once you start climbing and have a feel for it you can watch YouTube vids for more technical advice. Some gyms like mine offer classes once you’re ready fo tackle V3 and above or how to use some of the specific rock climbing equipment like campusing or hangboards

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Don't climb with belayers you don't trust.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bouldering can be done solo, just do research and go in hyper aware of how high things are, and how dangerous it id to protrct falls.

Some climbs will definitely be mentally foreboding if the difficulty is at the edge of your limit.

It is also a good idea to try to take two pads or larger pads like Mondos/organics.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Did 16 pitches up the Chief yesterday. Dierdre, Boomstick, Squamish Buttress. 12 hours on the rock and I feel like I got whammered by a meat tenderizer today, goddamn.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Any Polish climbing goons? It's looking like I'll be in Warsaw for a week around the end of the month, and I'd like to climb if possible.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

armorer posted:

Any Polish climbing goons? It's looking like I'll be in Warsaw for a week around the end of the month, and I'd like to climb if possible.

Warsaw gyms are awful.

I think you may have more success with checking on Vertical Life or Mountain project

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Managed to (I think) pull a tendon in my left forearm/hand on an overhang while bouldering.
Staff suggested it may be a tendon pull and recommended at least two weeks rest. They suggested I check the Internet for more advice and maybe try not to keep it completely rested.

I'll be travelling for a few days but what are some things I can do?

The tautness is from the middle of the inside of my forearm right through to the middle finger of my left hand. An hour after my session now it's more noticeable a feeling when I ball my fist up, but I seem to have pretty much full range of motion with nothing I could properly describe as "pain".

I'm mostly hoping that I can still lug around a carry-on suitcase with both hands and fumble with passports/boarding passes/train tickets just fine!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
What kind of facilities are you going to have access to? Icing it is probably out of the question but if you have a mini fridge in a hotel room or w/e you could use a cold, wet flannel to try and keep the swelling down a bit

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
It's a hostel dorm room so perhaps extremely limited facilities.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I wouldn't ice, in my limited experience with tendon injuries the most important thing is to encourage blood flow so that bad poo poo gets flushed and good poo poo gets to the injury. Very light exercise that you stop when it gets tight/uncomfortable without ever getting painful is what fixed both a finger and wrist injury in the past, after weeks to months of time off waiting for passive recovery with no improvement.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Meowmeow is mostly right, except that alternating icing/heat for the first ~48 hours or so while it's swollen is a good idea. But after that, just heat.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Good news is no swelling, as near as I can tell, but it is more tender than yesterday, especially when expanding or contracting my hand to the fullest of its range of motion. Feels like an annoyance more than a worry, probs just needs two weeks to recover like the climbing wall staff said.
Cheers guys!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I feel like round two on the choss monster if it dries out before the snow hits. I might be insane.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Not sure how anyone in this thread can flat out say do or don't ice, there is no good literature with studies behind either position. For tendons

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
In the absence of evidence make up something that sounds good :shrug:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rime posted:

I feel like round two on the choss monster if it dries out before the snow hits. I might be insane.

:hmmyes:

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnjdt52DNWN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I'm the pink blob.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Well, no real recovery process followed other than resting these past few days, and though it's not generally painful anymore, it feels painful when I pull on it (a suitcase held with all fingers for too long, or accidentally forgetting that I had an injured tendon and trying to lift my laptop edge with one of the affected fingers, ouch!).

So just more rest I guess!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well it's been raining here for three weeks straight, is forecast to rain for another two weeks at least, and is now snowing hard in the alpine.

So, uh, that was a brief and hosed up season this year.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Cut my thumb badly working with stainless. About 1/16” deep and 1/2” across the thumb pad.

And I was so close to a V10. :gonk:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Cut my thumb badly working with stainless. About 1/16” deep and 1/2” across the thumb pad.

And I was so close to a V10. :gonk:

This makes me sad.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

oh, to be close to a v10. i envy you. doctors give you a timeframe on it being good to go? i hope you can get back to it quickly and don't lose too much progress. :shobon:

in other news, just recently i got my first v4 and tried crack climbing. ow, my feet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tactical Lesbian posted:

tried crack climbing. ow, my feet.

Once you get it though your hands and feet will feel at home. At least in hand sized cracks.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

spwrozek posted:

Once you get it though your hands and feet will feel at home. At least in hand sized cracks.

at least my hands felt great, well, it strained my fingers when they were a little wider than my hands. i'd never felt my fingers ache like that, haha. but when i slid my hand down into a cozy spot it felt so right.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Not sure how fast it will close still managed to bleed yesterday even, after working the bottling line. :(

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I'm realizing my sport rack of all the same length draws isn't cutting it--how do you guys do alpine draws? Do you buy premade ones or do you just swap the dogbone on old quickdraws for a sling when they go bad? For these slings, what thickness, length, and material should be used? Would a dyneema/nylon mix be better than a pure nylon one (I know they have different stretch properties)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm realizing my sport rack of all the same length draws isn't cutting it--how do you guys do alpine draws? Do you buy premade ones or do you just swap the dogbone on old quickdraws for a sling when they go bad? For these slings, what thickness, length, and material should be used? Would a dyneema/nylon mix be better than a pure nylon one (I know they have different stretch properties)

What are you using them for? Sport or trad?

I find alpine draws annoying for sport because they flop around too much, whereas sport draws tend to have a stiffer dogbone and the gates remain oriented well and are easier to clip.

On my alpine draws I went full dyneema because I wanted the weight savings. It does limit their uses in theory if I find myself in some weird situation where I need to use remaining draws to build an anchor or something, but it hasn't been an issue in practice.

You can certainly cannibalize carabiners from worn out sport draws to make into alpine draws. You don't want to be tearing down and rebuilding good sport draws repeatedly though. There have been reported accidents where someone failed to properly reassemble a sport draw (typically clipping the rubber retainer but missing the actual dogbone) and then had it come apart in a fall.

I built my alpines while my sport draws were still perfectly good, so I built them from scratch. Basically I waited for a good carabiner to be on sale cheap somewhere and then bought a ton of them.

armorer fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 28, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, two sets of DMM alpha trad on sale and two sets of whatever poo poo I could scavenge around. I've got frickin' Faders on a few of my alpine. Make sure to have a few using 120cm slings for when you really don't want a piece to move.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The tango alpines are super nice.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ll be in Chicago next weekend anyone have a favorite bouldering gym?

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I'd go to either First Ascent Humboldt Park or First Ascent Block 37.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Niyqor posted:

I'd go to either First Ascent Humboldt Park or First Ascent Block 37.

Yes this

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I was there for a conference a few months ago and went to block 37 a couple times. Conference was at McCormick so it was pretty convenient, and I thought the setting was good. And they have a moonboard if you’re into that

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Saw the Dawn Wall last night and it was really good. Absolutely beautiful shots and the story is inspiring as all hell. Pretty cool we are getting two climbing documentaries both about el cap in the same year.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

George H.W. oval office posted:

Saw the Dawn Wall last night and it was really good. Absolutely beautiful shots and the story is inspiring as all hell. Pretty cool we are getting two climbing documentaries both about el cap in the same year.

I almost went to see it but I figured I'll wait for Free Solo, cause if I'm going to watch a full length El Cap documentary it might as well be the more dangerous one.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mons Hubris posted:

I almost went to see it but I figured I'll wait for Free Solo, cause if I'm going to watch a full length El Cap documentary it might as well be the more dangerous one.

For what it is worth I saw both and would say the Dawn Wall was good but really lacked enough climbing. Free Solo was awesome though. Not quite Meru but very good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I moved to Denver, joined the new climbing gym with the tallest walls in the country, got shoes and a chalk bag, and am going bouldering tonight for the first time. I am also in my late 30s with bad flexibility so I am prepared to suck.

Am I doing it right?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
No

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

poo poo

Help me do it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017