Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The top 2/3rds are fine, it’s the weird curvy bit at the bottom that’s off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The top 2/3rds are fine, it’s the weird curvy bit at the bottom that’s off-putting.

Does it retract or fold or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Does it retract or fold or something?

No, it just sits there being vaguely but not quite ergonomic. Apparently on the actual prop it retracts a bit?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's always bits of the sonic that look like they should retract and the like

The bottom of 12's second looks like it should click in like a pen, and the top bit feels like it should retract into the centerpiece

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There was supposed to be a red mode, but we never saw it on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJkF31rRJQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

There's always bits of the sonic that look like they should retract and the like

The bottom of 12's second looks like it should click in like a pen, and the top bit feels like it should retract into the centerpiece

Even with the odd curves of 13’s, I still think this is the weakest sonic design of the revival.

1. 11’s
2. War Doctor’s
3. 9’s/10’s
4. 13’s
5. River’s
6. 12’s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really disliked 12's second sonic. My favourites are the simpler ones like The War Doctor's.

Edward Mass posted:

PLEASE!

It’s called a ‘Sonic Marital Aid’.

I've been wanting to make this joke since they revealed it but I didn't want to be the one who made this joke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s the joke that’s continually been made since its reveal, and it’s honestly getting tiresome.

And yes, the War Doctor’s is my favourite too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like 9/10's since it's easy to carry around

Need to replace 11's since it broke, so it's always in the extended position

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Compensating?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Compensating?

It's a lottery

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I still kind of dig the classic series sonic screwdriver that was basically a dressed-up tire pressure gauge.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

I still kind of dig the classic series sonic screwdriver that was basically a dressed-up tire pressure gauge.

Patrick Troughton's Pen Light for the next companion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/BriggsNicholas/status/1033055565885440000

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paul and Sheridan again?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

It’s the joke that’s continually been made since its reveal, and it’s honestly getting tiresome.

And yes, the War Doctor’s is my favourite too.

Ah this is the only place I post about any tv show so I didn't see anyone make it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ah this is the only place I post about any tv show so I didn't see anyone make it.

Don't go on Twitter/Facebook/Reddit then.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Paul and Sheridan again?

Nick's trying to deny it, but he's not doing a very good job at it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In my defense, that's not the best design for a sonic screwdriver, and whoever designed it should really have shown someone else their work. I like the yellow, but....yikes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wouldn’t mind the curve so much if the top and bottom halves didn’t look so incongruous. The bottom curve almost looks like an afterthought.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Does he do that in all his shots? Is that a thing he does?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're trying to make it look organic, I think, like some kind of living metal, but it somehow makes it look kind of gross and tacky, like it's the finger of some low budget Buffy villain.

The writing staff and the cast seem cool, though, so I'm not going to let one bad design get me down.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

The_Doctor posted:

Sound advice for everyone at all times!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Pasting this into evergreen.txt

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The one thing I liked about 12's sonic is that in season 10 they used it as a torch a lot and it created some really good looking lighting for some scenes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The one thing I liked about 12's sonic is that in season 10 they used it as a torch a lot and it created some really good looking lighting for some scenes.

Using the sonic as a more active prop is probably one of the nicer small things about Moffat's tenure. The shades totally count for this, of course, as does using 12's as a torch and 11's flourish to open his up.

It's something that I hope stays, because that little bit of physicality and personality counted for a lot. I'm not sure what 13 would do (I could sort of imagine her spinning it in her hand), but I don't want to see it go back to the 'problem solving laser pointer' that it was in RTD's run.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Plus it had a dry erase pen in the handle. Gotta love that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just come across this on Facebook. Patrick Troughton interview from the day before he died. He seems in very fine spirits there, it’s astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YV_93T3hLk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand, a too-great emphasis on the sonic screwdriver as a tool denies us little moments like this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Once every couple of seasons, I'd like to see the Psychic Paper come back as a device the Doctor attempts to use, only for it to fail spectacularly. It's a good gag.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Once every couple of seasons, I'd like to see the Psychic Paper come back as a device the Doctor attempts to use, only for it to fail spectacularly. It's a good gag.

My favourite psychic paper scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRlF8Qnm0go

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I knew what that was going to be before I clicked :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that's the best one. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I like the bit from "The Idiot's Lantern" where he rushes past a guy, flashes the psychic paper and the kid who's with him asks, "Who did he think you were?" and he checks it and says, "The King of Belgium."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We didn’t deserve Matt Smith. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The greatest crime is that we didn't get more of him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The flipside of Wendy Padbury taking the body that Moffat stitched together and filling it with the soul of Patrick Troughton was that the notion of,"I must move on after 3 seasons" was part of the package deal :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I look forward to the day that I say "Boy, I wish I could see Matt Smith come back and play the Doctor now that he's had a long and illustrious career. I wonder if I'll ever get to see him do his cartoon stretchy thing again," when, from the screen, a voice says "You know, I really think you might."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

from the screen, a voice says "You know, I really think you might."

Shocked, I say out loud,"I didn't see that coming!"
"You know a rather pretty young lady once said that to me," says Tom Baker from just behind my couch.

Edit: Appropos of nothing because I think about this every so often and smile:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 26, 2018

• Locked thread