Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

fart-powered cars posted:

yes and no. the firmware update process in a car is complicated because you have a bunch of dumb components hanging off of CAN or LIN and they have to updated in very specific order and sometimes you have to retry 10s of times to get it to take. ( gently caress you Bosch). Tesla never bothered to flash those things ahead of time before assembly so that gets done the first time as it rolls down the line. the infotainment system and gateway arbitrate that stuff. typically any update that tuned voltages becomes a one way - no downgrade is possible without frying something

wrong ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

i love this souf eefrican tiixt eexint we've got going here

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 25, 2018

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

fart-powered cars posted:

we once patched openssl to ignore client cert expiry because somebody forgot to create a process to update keys in the field and all the customer cars started falling offline because their certs had expired. the quick and dirty was to just patch openssl quickly and make openvpn on the server side use that one while we created those processes for about 2 weeks.

Of all your posts this is the one that is least plausible. I refuse to believe anyone is smart enough to understand X.509/PKI well enough to implement client-side certs, but then sign certs that don't expire in tyool 2030+ so they know they will need to be refreshed, and fail to implement any mechanism to actually refresh certs in the field before they expire.

edit: also that Tesla has a circus of idiots but someone could both patch OpenSSL's fucky codebase with its fucky C-style and actually roll a new package.

edit2:

quote:

update keys in the field

you don't update the keys in the field to solve this problem unless the key is compromised or you want a different key algorithm; the CA can issue a new certificate for the client that works with the same key

feld fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 25, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

do they usually fold in at high speed?

the old lada niva my family used to own had that feature, mirror would fold at over ~100km/h.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

feld posted:

Of all your posts this is the one that is least plausible. I refuse to believe anyone is smart enough to understand X.509/PKI well enough to implement client-side certs, but then sign certs that don't expire in tyool 2030+ so they know they will need to be refreshed, and fail to implement any mechanism to actually refresh certs in the field before they expire.

edit: also that Tesla has a circus of idiots but someone could both patch OpenSSL's fucky codebase with its fucky C-style and actually roll a new package.

edit2:

you don't update the keys in the field to solve this problem unless the key is compromised or you want a different key algorithm; the CA can issue a new certificate for the client that works with the same key

you are vastly overestimating the quality of employee at tesla and also what happens when you work insane hours constantly with no sleep.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol elon gonna go to jail because he's a loving moron who has ridden on a wave of loving morons worshiping him

hey muskfans don't you just want to reply to that? what's :10bux: compared to a besmirchment of lord musk's reputation?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
in the end lowtax got nothing for his spine

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

you are vastly overestimating the quality of employee at tesla and also what happens when you work insane hours constantly with no sleep.

also, the fact that openvpn literally has a script that does all this for you, but then you have to handle renewing certs yearly yourself lol

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

feld posted:

hi there. I'm an idiot hell fucker that in tyool 2008 or so created a private CA cert for my company that was distributed to all our customers and trusted by their users and I set that cert to expire 5 years later because, as previously stated, I'm an idiot hell fucker. i could easily see someone at Tesla following some tutorial to get client certs working and thinking that the default value is fine for now because wtf do they know about updating certs or the consequences of a cert expiring.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm sure there's a stackoverflow post with the patch code too.

they are definitely not the first people to find themselves in that position or have that dumb idea for a solution.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

redleader posted:

some fair quality meltdowns itt

we're just following the example Elon Musk sets.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
cool, cool

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1033353057042661377?s=21

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
props to peeny cheez for making it into the premier screencap!!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has Tesla sued Xealous yet?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

xeni is always a treat
https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1033213484031340544

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
oh man this thread got to the real good stuff

and by that I mean restarting the greenpos / amberpos war

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sad I'm not in any internet articles about ol musky being an idiot

e: oh wait I am!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

imagine liking greenpos lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

after a rough childhood in south africa, elon musk took his billions of dollars and invented self-driving electricity and rockets

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

imagine liking greenpos lol

the emerald pos much like the muskmans daddy bucks are from a more shameful time

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

imo don’t delete the tweet because then ole musky wins

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

feld posted:

edit2:

always generate a new private key when the cert expires dipshit

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

and make sure to post lots of poo poo that'll piss off tech people

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

is it really war when one side is correctly judged in contemporary times and will be judged by posterity as both monstrous and criminal

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crusader posted:

is it really war when one side is correctly judged in contemporary times and will be judged by posterity as both monstrous and criminal

I thought we all agreed not to talk about winpos in awful.app

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I thought we all agreed not to talk about winpos in awful.app

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

for some reason I can’t get my awful app theme to change.

e: lol. never mind!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hello i am a journalist from fox news can i get your permission to put your posts on our channel thanks in advance

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh god it's like teledildonics but for shame

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
this thread owns

congreats on being famous, yospos

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shifty Pony posted:

oh god it's like teledildonics but for shame

supercharge that poo poo straight into me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

props to peeny cheez for making it into the premier screencap!!!!
I would like to thank all the academy, my parents, my manager Gus and all the little people, without whom this incredibly deserved award would have gone to some complete jagoff.

President Beep posted:

for some reason I can’t get my awful app theme to change.
You can offer encouragement and support, but it kind of has to want to change.

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 25, 2018

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
macinyos or bust

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cross quoting this:

anthonypants posted:

amberpos => ambergris => musk

amberpos:the muskiest of themes

greenpos 4 lyfe

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i hope xealous is okay lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

he probably logged out and can’t log back in because mods changed his username.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
his name got changed again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lmao the gently caress every car image is in there