Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

FCKGW posted:

oh god these fuckers

definitely not blessed

What are the things on the shelf above them.

I'm foreign and don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bologna slices. They're loving gross, the American cheese of luncheon meats, like some foul dark shadow of head cheese.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

GORDON posted:

Does that sign say they add 7 or 8 cents the the cost, at checkout?

Yeah, sales tax,innit?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Foreigners need not be concerned with that picture. It is a shameful picture.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, sales tax,innit?

In many places in the US, food is not subject to sales tax.

I would guess that the price is different for people who have a shopping/rewards card versus those who don’t?

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

FilthyImp posted:

Bologna slices. They're loving gross, the American cheese of luncheon meats, like some foul dark shadow of head cheese.

:chloe:

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I dropped my skillet recently and dented the poo poo out of it, plus it had a large scratch down the middle. I needed to hit up Costco and pick up my contact lenses and new glasses yesterday anyway so I decided to pickup this 5.5qt T-Fal Jumbo skillet. Goddamn that thing cooks awesomely, and under $20.

So since I went in for just the pan, of course I left with a 3 lb. bag of almonds, some new electric toothbrush heads, a shitload of steak and had to stop and grab a chicken bake on the way out.

PBUC

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I used to work at this CA tech company that had their own cooks/free lunches (not an uncommon setup in the area) and the food was pretty alright... but the people who founded the company were from the South so we would randomly have some kind of terrible southern abomination straight out of your worst nightmares.

Examples:

- A giant slab of bologna, fried in fat and just eaten with mustard (?)
- A gigantic slice of iceberg lettuce, like literally a quarter of an entire head of iceberg lettuce, with nothing blue cheese dressing on top, and that's the entire meal (?!?!)

I guess my point is that southern food is loving weird. There are bright points, like BBQ and Cajun food, but it's best as Americans that we don't speak on or post pictures of these shameful items.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taima posted:

Examples:

- A gigantic slice of iceberg lettuce, like literally a quarter of an entire head of iceberg lettuce, with nothing blue cheese dressing on top, and that's the entire meal (?!?!)

I've seen roommates make that and every time it's just :barf:
Granted, i have bad memories of eggs cooked with shreds of ham (ugh, makes the ham lukewarm and gross and it's not crispy or anything just this tepid slab).

The second is like a ghetto Cobb/wedge salad. Hipster places do that poo poo.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

GORDON posted:

Does that sign say they add 7 or 8 cents the the cost, at checkout?

I've never seen food tax small print put on a price sign before. I thought everyone would just know that tax is a thing...?

PS used to buy those dogs and cook them in the microwave. Dab of mustard for each bite.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Maybe they are a sausage like product and not even categorised as food?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

I've never seen food tax small print put on a price sign before. I thought everyone would just know that tax is a thing...?

PS used to buy those dogs and cook them in the microwave. Dab of mustard for each bite.

I think the sign is advertising the price the supermarket bought the hotdogs for, and they are bragging about the small amount of markup they pass to customers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

They explain it here:

http://www.cashsaverfoodstores.com/store-info/faqs

The whole idea is that they display the cost price of the item (the price they got it for) then they add a flat 10 percent to cover their costs.

Ultimately it's just a way to trick poor and/or dumb people I think. They have no actual reason to state the prices that way other than to obfuscate the reality of what people are paying, or to otherwise make people believe that they got a better deal than they did.

To be super clear this is NOT sales tax it's just a marketing ploy and you pay tax on everything on top of that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So basically, they're advertising a price on the product in 100 point font, and then the fine print literally says that isn't the actual price.

That needs to be illegal.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Taima posted:

I used to work at this CA tech company that had their own cooks/free lunches (not an uncommon setup in the area) and the food was pretty alright... but the people who founded the company were from the South so we would randomly have some kind of terrible southern abomination straight out of your worst nightmares.

Examples:

I guess my point is that southern food is loving weird. There are bright points, like BBQ and Cajun food, but it's best as Americans that we don't speak on or post pictures of these shameful items.

The bologna thing is gross. Sounds like you're referring to a shittily made wedge salad (Serious Eats recipe for example of non-poo poo).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

The bologna thing is gross. Sounds like you're referring to a shittily made wedge salad (Serious Eats recipe for example of non-poo poo).

Oh nice! Kenji is my favorite recipe source. That looks WAY better than what we got.

I might actually make it tonight because I was going to make lettuce wraps anyways and this is a good side dish (if a bit lettuce heavy overall). Thanks!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

They explain it here:

http://www.cashsaverfoodstores.com/store-info/faqs

The whole idea is that they display the cost price of the item (the price they got it for) then they add a flat 10 percent to cover their costs.

Ultimately it's just a way to trick poor and/or dumb people I think. They have no actual reason to state the prices that way other than to obfuscate the reality of what people are paying, or to otherwise make people believe that they got a better deal than they did.

To be super clear this is NOT sales tax it's just a marketing ploy and you pay tax on everything on top of that.

10% seems like a pretty reasonable profit margin, it's pretty dang transparent albeit convoluted.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FormatAmerica posted:

10% seems like a pretty reasonable profit margin, it's pretty dang transparent albeit convoluted.

Is 10% the profit, or the markup? I think Costco is about 10% markup, so profit is a lot smaller.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Any idea about what the minimum credit score you need for the Citi card is?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Jim Rome knows whats up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-yQxuuU8M

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

It’s more an issue of faith

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FormatAmerica posted:

Eh. They are depending on the human mind's ability to disregard the extra 10% and focus on the cost price, which is not a real number in any consumer-oriented sense.

If they wanted to actually be transparent they could just list the cost price, and then have the real price in a larger font to emphasize the price you're actually paying. That accomplishes their goals while being super clear and easy to understand.

Instead they are going out of their way to avoid being clear about the price.

They don't do that for no reason. Their research shows that by obfuscating the price, consumers spend more than if they were straightforward about the pricing. Therefore the pricing strategy is inherently exploiting consumer's lack of understanding.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

The general internet consensus is that you want at least 720 and probably more like 750 for guaranteed approval.

e: Wallethub says 750+

https://wallethub.com/d/costco-credit-card-72c/

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 26, 2018

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Taima posted:

The general internet consensus is that you want at least 720 and probably more like 750 for guaranteed approval.

e: Wallethub says 750+

https://wallethub.com/d/costco-credit-card-72c/

I'm pretty sure my score wasn't even close to those numbers when I got mine. I think I was at 680.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/SamsClub/status/1017550709963669504?s=19

sams club trying to loss lead with polish to snatch up people pissed about the menu changes i guess, but my costco just ditched the al pastor salad for chili... so now i can have chili dogs

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Spoondick posted:

sams club trying to loss lead with polish to snatch up people pissed about the menu changes i guess, but my costco just ditched the al pastor salad for chili... so now i can have chili dogs

I swear when I was at Sam's they had polish.

Also gross if you have beans in you chili dogs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The polish dogs have been gone at my local Costcos for years and frankly I'm glad they're gone

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Spoondick posted:

I've never tried them, but I've heard they are basically cat food.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...the promotional photo they’re using to sell the hot dogs doesn’t even look all that good. Shriveled, greasy looking sausages in flat, cold, stale looking buns. And that’s the beauty shot. I can only imagine what the actual product looks like.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Lol at anyone who goes to Wal-mart's knockoff of costco

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Taima posted:

Examples:

If fried bologna sandwiches and wedge salads are new and surprising to you, you are extremely sheltered and need to get out more.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Both of those items are not really a thing here, I don't know what to say. We have gobs of ethnic food. I'll put down an offal soup no problem. I love food and there's almost nothing off limits in terms of ingredients or style.

Never seen a fried bologne sandwich before then in my drat life (or since).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dick Fagballzson posted:

If fried bologna sandwiches and wedge salads are new and surprising to you, you are extremely sheltered and need to get out more.

Both of them are bottom tier foods.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
don't support the loving walton family jesus fucjk

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

iceberg lettuce is poo poo, logistics of eating a wedge salad aside

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

*calls someone sheltered*
*lives in one of 3 states where that type of food is legally allowed to exist*

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

FCKGW posted:

*calls someone sheltered*
*lives in one of 3 states where that type of food is legally allowed to exist*

If the law sheltered you from that food then you'd be sheltered wouldn't you?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hakimashou posted:

If the law sheltered you from that food then you'd be sheltered wouldn't you?

that's not the intent of the phrase so no

also i'm not saying fried balony is actually outlawed lmao

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Lol at anyone who goes to Wal-mart's knockoff of costco

my mom and her husband go to sc for some reason and it's bizarre. I went to help them get flooring and they kept going to different cashiers across multiple checkouts, terrified that the waltons themselves would rip the deal away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Wicksy_Gaming/status/1033589204465270785