Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I was one of those who bought Gone Home thinking it was a horror game. In my defence I got it as part of a steam horror sale (or I had bought a bunch of horror games going cheap with it. I'm not really sure) but I'm a 90s kid whose bi so I loved what the game actually was.

Though to be fair I do think the game did have some tangental horror links. The opening is very horror movie, abandoned house, storm, strange answer machine message, and ab early room that is covered in conspiracy theory paraphinalia

And one of its strengths on a first play through is a sense of building tension.

I think the reason its still a major dead horse terribad gamers like to hit is because the misleading marketing 'tricked' a lot of them into playing a dreaded SJW walking simulator.

Its the one that got popular so its the one reference most of them are likely to get. I saw one thread on a brigading forum derail because someone lumped the Vanishing of Ethan Carter on a list of "non games" being shoved in their faces. The thread was full of users asking what that was, or arguing that Ethan Carter was actually good (a correct opinnion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Darth Walrus posted:

this was probably a suicide

don't think so, McLarens are basically racing cars and this one was probably beyond his skill and he misjudged a pass

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

don't think so, McLarens are basically racing cars and this one was probably beyond his skill and he misjudged a pass

Earlier that day he had driven through a fence at an elementary school that had a sign in it that read STEAM.

It wasn't an accident.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I feel awful for the mother and daughter he killed and their family. E-celebrities who get stupid rich doing nothing and then use their money and fame to hurt other people because they’re sociopaths who think nothing they do matters because it’s just “online stuff” are a blight on the world.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jesus loving christ, the gently caress is wrong with these people?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

Jesus loving christ, the gently caress is wrong with these people?

The kid was 18 years old and had made $240,000 playing video games and screaming into the internet. Turns out he was never someone who should have had that kind of money and fame—like a lot of these YouTube e-pricks, but that’s just the world we live in now.

I got a horrible feeling we’re gonna see more of these kinds stories as more and more of these nouveau riche flash in the pan douchebags flame out for one reason or another.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It's probably hearsay but apparently he had his account tradebanned recently by Valve and it had like $200k worth of stuff in it, which may have precipitated his little joyride.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

The kid was 18 years old and had made $240,000 playing video games and screaming into the internet. Turns out he was never someone who should have had that kind of money and fame—like a lot of these YouTube e-pricks, but that’s just the world we live in now.

I got a horrible feeling we’re gonna see more of these kinds stories as more and more of these nouveau riche flash in the pan douchebags flame out for one reason or another.

I'm gonna say that probably nobody should have that kind of money and fame, because it becomes a nightmare of lack of privacy, constantly trying to cater to the whims of audience, and nobody giving a poo poo if you're hurting because you're rich and famous and people love you so what the gently caress do you have to bitch about?

Like, even non-douchebags are going to have some major issues in that situation, and as Darth Walrus said, depression absolutely fucks with your empathy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everyone who thought Gone Home was a horror game are ones who watched Everdraed’s trailer for it and nothing else. Can’t convince me otherwise.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Thompsons posted:

It's probably hearsay but apparently he had his account tradebanned recently by Valve and it had like $200k worth of stuff in it, which may have precipitated his little joyride.

Capitalism.txt

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Everyone who thought Gone Home was a horror game are ones who watched Everdraed’s trailer for it and nothing else. Can’t convince me otherwise.
Also people who just got it in a horror themed bundle and expected the bundle to contain horror games. Though that is Valve's fault and not Gone Home's.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

yeah but he wasnt really fully just a streamer. For some background, this dude was the owner of a massive CS:GO betting site where people would trade virtual items. He made boatloads of cash from this (talking millions). Valve ended up trade-banning his account which meant around $100k worth of items was gone to waste. He couldn't sell them off or anything. Couple this with the fact that his site went under after Valve made huge changes to how CS:GO trading works, this must have made him suicidal. that being said, This dude took advantage and capitalised off of children who didn't know any better, while not contributing anything of substance to the game he was making money off of, and knowingly killed others before killing himself. He deserves all the poo poo he gets.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Never try to play the community market.
Always refund before the 2 hour mark.
That's all I have to say to anybody on any social level.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So May Leitz (NyxFears) tweeted a blog entry on what happened between her and Nick Nocturne:

https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1033402266617831425?s=20

https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1033422652453605377?s=20

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BIG YOUTUBE FIGHT NIGHT is over.

KSI vs Logan Paul ended in the result that literally no-one will ever be happy with - a draw. Logan won the first two rounds and 4 but was tired as hell by the end, KSI won 3, 5 and 6. Not a bad fight (technically better than the KSI-Weller fight), I had KSI edging it based on the last rounds but yeah...loving draw. People on Twitter, whether they're KSI fan, Logan fans or just casual watchers are SALTY as many of them experience what's likely their first ever total bullshit boxing decision. Needless to say, there will obviously be a rematch so everyone involved is going to make even more $$$$$$.

In the co-main, Jake Paul beat Deji by TKO in 5 rounds - Deji showed a lot of heart but was pretty clearly overmatched in there. The most fun fight of the night was easily AnEsonGib vs Jay Swingler though (you probably don't know either of them) - they pretty much just went all out for it and it was a good laugh. I mean...I like boxing so it was fun and I don't regret watching it but a draw is never good lol.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DoubleCakes posted:

So May Leitz (NyxFears) tweeted a blog entry on what happened between her and Nick Nocturne:

Yeah, I saw this.

Seriously people. Respect people's boundaries.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have to say I have 0% interest in actually watching youtuber boxing; but I sorta love reading about it in small bits and pieces. It's just so bizarre. :swoon:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would only care about the results of that fight if they were both given knives and tied together at the wrists like in the video for “Beat It.”

Influencers in this thread, please pressure youtube and/or Hank Green to make this a reality.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

gently caress it. Do a Youtube Stars Pro Wrestling Fed. I'll watch it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, I saw this.

Seriously people. Respect people's boundaries.

Dumb man Nick Nocturne can’t solve the mystery of bodily autonomy, not acting like a horned-up weird.

We’re actually pretty lucky that all the networking and friendships or co-productions we’ve been seeing from people in this thread have been mostly respectful and good. Both because it’s good for people in a lonely line of work to find peers and because it helps the good videos outcompete the low-effort nazi poo poo.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh, Jake Paul also called out, of all people, Chris Brown. If said fight happened it would be the rare occasion where I'd be utterly rooting for Jake to knock someone's block off.

FULL RESULTS!!!111

Call Me Ham beat Jrizzy Jeremy
MOMO beat RossiHD
JMX beat Coach Richard
FaZe Sensei beat overtflow
Ruckarucka beat Scarce
AnEsonGib beat Jay Swingler
Jake Paul beat Deji
KSI drew Logan Paul

So...y'know, that's a bunch of funny YouTube names. Yes, Scarce the BTEC Keemstar was on the card. AnEsonGib called out Joe Weller at the end of his fight and he's up for it. Wroetoshaw called out Ricegum yesterday. YOUTUBE BOXING BAYBEEEE LET'S GO CHAMP

(Shannon Briggs was providing analysis and is actually surprisingly calm and sane when not calling out Vladimir Klitschko)

Other fun highlights include MOMO, a Liberian YouTuber who mainly does FIFA and uploads virtually every day admitting to training for all of a week, doing Fortnite dances in the middle of the fight and still winning, and everyone on Twitter right now who have added up the scorecards and made it 172-171 for KSI asking how could it possibly be a draw because they don't understand the glorious dear Boxing Scorecard System

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 25, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

KSI vs Logan Paul ended in the result that literally no-one will ever be happy with - a draw. Logan won the first two rounds and 4 but was tired as hell by the end, KSI won 3, 5 and 6. Not a bad fight (technically better than the KSI-Weller fight), I had KSI edging it based on the last rounds but yeah...loving draw. People on Twitter, whether they're KSI fan, Logan fans or just casual watchers are SALTY as many of them experience what's likely their first ever total bullshit boxing decision. Needless to say, there will obviously be a rematch so everyone involved is going to make even more $$$$$$.

In the co-main, Jake Paul beat Deji by TKO in 5 rounds - Deji showed a lot of heart but was pretty clearly overmatched in there. The most fun fight of the night was easily AnEsonGib vs Jay Swingler though (you probably don't know either of them) - they pretty much just went all out for it and it was a good laugh. I mean...I like boxing so it was fun and I don't regret watching it but a draw is never good lol.

I know they're going to do a rematch but after that they should just sweep KSI and Paul under the ring and forget the whole thing happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with the news that Disney has put Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3 on ice, can I start comparing Disney to EA circa 2012-13 where they suddenly stopped being the anti Activision cool people and we as a society come to realize that they are an rear end in a top hat company absorbing and disintegrating properties that no longer make them money?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So with the news that Disney has put Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3 on ice, can I start comparing Disney to EA circa 2012-13 where they suddenly stopped being the anti Activision cool people and we as a society come to realize that they are an rear end in a top hat company absorbing and disintegrating properties that no longer make them money?

actualy. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-galaxy-3-production-hold-james-gunn-firing-1137400

in the original Hollywood Reporter article, it feels much more temporary than "indefinitely." The source that brought the story to them calls it a "regrouping" as they mull over director choices. CBR pulled the word 'indefinitely' out of nowhere, just because it's technically correct - *of course* a not-publicly-announced delay in production doesn't have an announced production start date. But when you read 'indefinite delay', that makes it sounds like there are no plans at all, and effectively a cancellation. its way to well loved for them to just kill. my guess is they will resolve the infinity war stuff and probably send the characters off into space for a while. they will show up in other movies but they will wait a while before a new guardians.

also EA was always amusingly dumb. unlike other publishers, they don't have the human face mask or Good PR.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 25, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was a time between 2009-2011 when EA propped themselves up as the Heroes against those evil Activision types when they shat out that Duty Calls COD parody ahead of Bulletstorm and made half of all Bad Company 2's dialogue into potshots against Modern Warfare.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was never the biggest fan of Nick Nocturne and Night Mind but out of all the milkshake ducks to be ducked this one is the one that shocks me the most, maybe? Maybe I assumed that there's no way Nick could be like that or that he was least likely to be like that, but it's weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

There was a time between 2009-2011 when EA propped themselves up as the Heroes against those evil Activision types when they shat out that Duty Calls COD parody ahead of Bulletstorm and made half of all Bad Company 2's dialogue into potshots against Modern Warfare.

activision is dumb and bad but at least they have figured out their niche. big shooter game and nostalgia trips. EA basicaly just grinds its studios and IPs to death and fucks up every new IP they think off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This may not belong here and it feels a little unseemly to be posting about the lives of others vs their work, but boy would a collaboration between All-Mother and Contrapoints be a great development on the cultural front, especially since she does jokes now:

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1033411240872341505

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

lol imagine having to go home and say Jake Paul beat your rear end.

Also lol @ the tie, I'm very amused by the thought of tons of Paul...Paulites? Paul-Crawlers? Whatever the name for their stupid fans are getting baby's first lesson that boxing is a corrupt bullshit sport in such a fantastic way.

DoubleCakes posted:

This is not amusing, though. Pity, I liked Nick but gently caress this noise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Disney was never cool and always has been a studio-absorbing and smothering EA-calibre monster. I'm just laughing my rear end off because Disney panicked and killed a near-billion dollar cash cow franchise because some weirdo rapist with a Twitter account and an uncomfortable obsession with pedophiles got mad about James Gunn mildly insulting Donald Trump a few times.

If this is the thing that derails the MCU and results in a bonafide string of beloved hits for the DCEU after they secure Gunn away from Disney, then they loving deserve it because :lol:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Disney has probably killed more real children than all the murders alleged by pizzagate psychos.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

lol imagine having to go home and say Jake Paul beat your rear end.

Also lol @ the tie, I'm very amused by the thought of tons of Paul...Paulites? Paul-Crawlers? Whatever the name for their stupid fans are getting baby's first lesson that boxing is a corrupt bullshit sport in such a fantastic way.

This is not amusing, though. Pity, I liked Nick but gently caress this noise.

Ha they don’t have that much creativity. It’s Jake Paulers. The Logang is a much better name imo. Never have younger family members

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Disney has probably killed more real children than all the murders alleged by pizzagate psychos.

Go look up what happened to the kid who played Peter Pan in the animated movie. :smith: good bye childhood.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

I was never the biggest fan of Nick Nocturne and Night Mind but out of all the milkshake ducks to be ducked this one is the one that shocks me the most, maybe? Maybe I assumed that there's no way Nick could be like that or that he was least likely to be like that, but it's weird.

:same:

Can't really look at his stuff the same way after the douchiness reveals.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Whelp I feel like poo poo after reading Nyx Fear’s tumblr post and Nick’s action. Dammit Nick.

EDIT: Whelp he better start apologizing and atoning sometime soon before he goes down ever deeper in assholeville.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how loving stupid do you need to be to kill one of your biggest cash cow franchises because Ben Shapiro of all people started complaining

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Eeeee that was a big old slice of cringe and creep. Not well played. Like if someone's always got a hat on there's usually a reason whether it's dysphoria or not and it's not cool to try and snatch it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, it doesn't matter WHY someone's wearing a hat. Could just be "I like this hat to be on my head." If you repeatedly ignore someone saying "no," you're a douche and need to learn to respect loving boundaries.

Also a RL friend of Nyx's added her own experience with the dude.

quote:

I will say this I was there when Nick visited that week and when I met him he was condescending to me, spoke to me like I was a child who didn’t know anything about youtube, mansplaining things to me (I mean when he DID speak to me, that is. He really made me feel othered. He seemed like he wanted me to leave whenever I was around and so I was only around for 1 or 2 days even though me and May spend like…most of our time together and especially at this time. Not that we can’t spend time apart, it was just rude. He kept trying to isolate May and ignore me). He assumed I watched all his videos and referenced them frequently, especially when trying to tell me how to make videos without me even asking him to tell me how (I don’t watch his videos). He basically impromptu decided to fly out for a week and disrupt our lives and then we just had to cancel anything we were thinking about and just conform to his schedule and whatever he said.

That week was a total shitshow

So I guess the smarmy know-it-all attitude wasn't just hamming it up. Ugh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Countdown until someone discovers a specific reason why he doesn’t want anyone to see his face/twitter dms where he asks for pictures of people’s feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Augus posted:

how loving stupid do you need to be to kill one of your biggest cash cow franchises because Ben Shapiro of all people started complaining

This is your brain on capitalism