Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TheFluff posted:

Either the Asrock ITX board or the EVGA Z370 Micro should be perfectly fine. Component-wise I personally would have a slight preference for the EVGA board, but I don't know what their BIOSes are like. The Strix Z370-G is overpriced for what you get and I don't have a great deal of faith in MSI's BIOSes (I'm assuming you meant the MSI Z370 Gaming Pro AC).

Oops yeah, meant the MSI one. A high end tower should be sufficient for my plan, right? I'd prefer to stay on air but if water is necessary I'll go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oops yeah, meant the MSI one. A high end tower should be sufficient for my plan, right? I'd prefer to stay on air but if water is necessary I'll go that route.

You can go on air and then if you're not getting the thermals you want, switch to water. Delidding and getting a good motherboard are more important imo.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just posted this in the build thread but I realized it probably makes more sense to post it here.

I'm trying to decide what cooler to go with for my Meshify C build. I'm trying to get a fairly high overclock. I have a delided 8700k. Are air coolers like the NH-D15 really better than most AIOs? I was mostly looking at that as well as the Corsair offerings. With my build I can fit either a 280 or 360 AIO.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

Are air coolers like the NH-D15 really better than most AIOs?

This article shows the nh-d15 as competitive with 240mm AiO's but less cooling than the 280mm kraken.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a D14 and it beat a H100 at silent volume levels. I have a D15 now and it performs better than the D14. Unless you're getting into the 280+mm radiator range at volume levels you'd want to use a PC at the Noctuas win. 4.6GHz Sandybridge and a 4.7GHz Haswell, the performance might be different with lower overclocks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got a 240mm AiO cooling a space heater 300w TDP R9 290x with a 20% overclock, and it doesn't get over 60*C. I would imagine there's a tipping point in TDP where AiOs will clearly come out ahead, but i don't think you'll ever see it on a modern CPU.

e: I've also got 4x120 fans in and 3x120 fans out, all stead at 1500RPM. The only fan that ever throttles up is the lovely 80mm fan on the cheap CPU cooler. I would imagine overall airflow management plays a big role too.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 15, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
So I got a 3570k and a z77 board, for cheaper than the Saber tooth. Not the best, a gigabyte ud5h, but without even touching voltage settings I'm sitting at 4.4 ghz and 1.14v under load.

Thing runs like a dream, I'm going to enjoy seeing exactly how far it can go.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I got my 8700k delided and binned by siliconlottery.com. They say it will be stable at 5.1ghz,1.410V Vcore, -2AVX offset. I haven't overclocked anything in about 10 years so my knowledge of the Coffee Lake chips is pretty low. Is running the CPU at these numbers going to be pretty hazardous? I want the chip to last around 3-4 years or so.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I got bored and did a ghetto delid on my 6600K using a razor blade, some leftover Gelid Extreme compound and not bothering to glue the IHS back on just using the socket clamp to hold it together. Temp drop is massive and all my cores are within a couple degrees of each other. Previously they were all over the place and I was getting temps in the high 80s on some cores running at 4.2Ghz.

I can now get 4.4GHz stable at 1.30v with temps peaking in the high 60s. This is pretty great in my mITX system. Trying for 4.5Ghz doesn't seem to be stable at even 1.35v. Thinking it's not worth the vcore jump chasing that extra 100Mhz and I should just stick with 4.4.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Getting the last 100MHz is almost never worth it. I run my 4.7GHz Haswell at 4.3 because if keeps it so much cooler. No performance issues yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hit an absolute wall at 4.7ghz on my 2500k. no way to get over it. different combinations of FSB clock and multiplier could get me 4.7 in different ways, but it just wouldn't do both at the same time.

userbenchmark still shows my processor in the 90th percentile overall which is quite amazing, and in the 98th percentile for 2500ks and the GPU in the 96th percentile for R9 290xs.

It's all still old, but still so powerful yet quiet. It's hard to even consider upgrading.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Powershift posted:

I hit an absolute wall at 4.7ghz on my 2500k. no way to get over it. different combinations of FSB clock and multiplier could get me 4.7 in different ways, but it just wouldn't do both at the same time.

userbenchmark still shows my processor in the 90th percentile overall which is quite amazing, and in the 98th percentile for 2500ks and the GPU in the 96th percentile for R9 290xs.

It's all still old, but still so powerful yet quiet. It's hard to even consider upgrading.

I think my 2500k was the only chip I've ever had that clocked well. I'd still be using it if the board hadn't given up. I wanted to give it a pcie HDD and some fast ram too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What do people recommend for stability testing? I want to test some 8086K overclocks.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Realbench is popular for stability, Prime is popular for power.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks, that's what I've been coming up with too. I did find a guide from der8auer saying Prime95 with 1344 min and max should be used. So far I can only pass it at 5.0ghz and 1.32v. I think I got a bad 8086K :(

Sidenote, not really a fan of ASRock's settings. I'm using offset voltage at -140 (I think, might be -150) which actually increases voltage to what I want? That plus LLC in the middle gives me roughly 1.32v

Another sidenote, I should be ignoring VID in hwinfo right? Anytime I use offset it gives me like between 1.4 and 1.5v, but vcore is giving me the right voltage, as in CPUZ also gives me the correct 1.32v core

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Thanks, that's what I've been coming up with too. I did find a guide from der8auer saying Prime95 with 1344 min and max should be used. So far I can only pass it at 5.0ghz and 1.32v. I think I got a bad 8086K :(

Sidenote, not really a fan of ASRock's settings. I'm using offset voltage at -140 (I think, might be -150) which actually increases voltage to what I want? That plus LLC in the middle gives me roughly 1.32v

Another sidenote, I should be ignoring VID in hwinfo right? Anytime I use offset it gives me like between 1.4 and 1.5v, but vcore is giving me the right voltage, as in CPUZ also gives me the correct 1.32v core

1.32v for 5GHz is great. I think people generally are using close to 1.40v or so for 5GHz clocks on Coffee Lakes. The 1344 min/max in Prime95 is a good quick check if you run it for 30 minutes or so. Ideally you'll want to to run the full set of 8K through 4094K for about 24 hours if you really want to be sure.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

owls or something posted:

1.32v for 5GHz is great. I think people generally are using close to 1.40v or so for 5GHz clocks on Coffee Lakes. The 1344 min/max in Prime95 is a good quick check if you run it for 30 minutes or so. Ideally you'll want to to run the full set of 8K through 4094K for about 24 hours if you really want to be sure.

Yep, running the full test now. Small FFT wasn't bad, temps stayed around 82C, delidded with a Dark Rock Pro 4. That's ok right?

Should I have messed with AVX at all? I see offsets mentioned all the time but I didn't touch it. Just did it the way I did my old Ivy Bridge OC, set the multiplier and offset vcore and go.

Edit: And I ended up with two errors after 30 minutes. Tomorrow I guess I'll just go to fixed vcore do some testing before messing with offsets. Somehow I will have a 24/7 stable 5ghz

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 24, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
R aising LLC helps a lot for better stability in Prime95 specifically

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yep, running the full test now. Small FFT wasn't bad, temps stayed around 82C, delidded with a Dark Rock Pro 4. That's ok right?

Should I have messed with AVX at all? I see offsets mentioned all the time but I didn't touch it. Just did it the way I did my old Ivy Bridge OC, set the multiplier and offset vcore and go.

Edit: And I ended up with two errors after 30 minutes. Tomorrow I guess I'll just go to fixed vcore do some testing before messing with offsets. Somehow I will have a 24/7 stable 5ghz

80 is kinda warm, but technically safe. Not really an issue if it only happens when running a stress test since you likely wouldn't see that kind of sustained load in normal use. If you're using a recent version of Prime95 it uses AVX and that will drive power usage and temps up more than usual. The AVX offset options are there to automatically set a lower clock when something uses AVX to compensate for it. I know people turn it down a few notches, but beyond that I dunno. My Z170 board doesn't have that option, so I've never messed with them.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

R aising LLC helps a lot for better stability in Prime95 specifically

It's currently at max. It's may be an AVX thing since I'm on the newest Prime95, I'm going to play with those offsets first

Edit: I think that was my issue. Bumped AVX offset to 2, ran the full Prime test for only an hour, went fine. Currently running a non AVX version at 5ghz 1.31v for the duration, hour in and so far so good. I'll test AVX tomorrow

Edit 2: Love this cooler, stability tests (not the Small FFT crazy temp test) are at like ~55C and I can barely hear it

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 24, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got the Cryorig H5 and I don't know if I like it. It doesn't seem to cool as well as the reviews say, regardless, I turbo charged it with 2x 120mm Delta 4000RPM fans. Not too quiet at full load but it can handle 5ghz.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 25, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

I've got the Cryorig H5 and I don't know if I like it. It doesn't seem to cool as well as the reviews say, regardless, I turbo charged it with 2x 120mm Delta 4000RPM fans. Not too quiet at full load but it can handle 5ghz.

Does it work better if you remove the gap (or seal it) between the one fan and the heatsink?

Jeez 4KRPM lol. I remember using those.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Well my 8086K did 24 hours of the full Prime95 test at 5ghz 1.31v no AVX, yay! Now to do an AVX version with the offset and declare stability

mewse
May 2, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well my 8086K did 24 hours of the full Prime95 test at 5ghz 1.31v no AVX, yay! Now to do an AVX version with the offset and declare stability

That's pretty good, I was never able to get my 8700k to 5. I had it stable on 4.9 then a bios revision wiped out my settings and now I'm on 4.8

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

mewse posted:

That's pretty good, I was never able to get my 8700k to 5. I had it stable on 4.9 then a bios revision wiped out my settings and now I'm on 4.8

It's certainly a far cry from my old 3570K that could barely do 4.3 without cranking up the voltage. Really lost the silicon lottery there

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Does it work better if you remove the gap (or seal it) between the one fan and the heatsink?

Jeez 4KRPM lol. I remember using those.

You are totally right. I put some rubber thingys to space it out and dampen the vibrations but that created that gap which is too big.
[edit] Removed rubber thingys, set voltage offset to hit 1.33v, set cache to 4.5Ghz, AVX offset to 2. All stable.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 26, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok I'm slightly scared about my PSU. My 8086K is at 5.0ghz 1.3v, and I noticed during Prime95 testing that it hit ~260W under an AVX load, and only like ~170W (I think) under non-AVX. That's kinda scary, since I chose a Seasonic Focus Plus 650W PSU. I know that PSU calculators say I should be fine since worst case heavy AVX I'd be at 440W for the CPU+GPU (260W+180W) and not much more for a total of 4 fans, 2 SSDs and a 5400RPM HDD. Did I make a bad choice? Should I exchange for a 750W?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok I'm slightly scared about my PSU. My 8086K is at 5.0ghz 1.3v, and I noticed during Prime95 testing that it hit ~260W under an AVX load, and only like ~170W (I think) under non-AVX. That's kinda scary, since I chose a Seasonic Focus Plus 650W PSU. I know that PSU calculators say I should be fine since worst case heavy AVX I'd be at 440W for the CPU+GPU (260W+180W) and not much more for a total of 4 fans, 2 SSDs and a 5400RPM HDD. Did I make a bad choice? Should I exchange for a 750W?

When I got my 8700k it wouldn’t even boot properly with a seasonic 550W. I had to buy a 750W. That being said, the whole point of the prime95 run is stress testing and if the system isn’t failing then why would you exchange the psu?

If you plan on adding hard drives or a beefier video card then maybe

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

mewse posted:

When I got my 8700k it wouldn’t even boot properly with a seasonic 550W. I had to buy a 750W.
I'm fairly confident in saying that this has nothing to do with the 550W rating of the PSU, unless the 8700K has a secret 600W TDP.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's fine. No real workload will ever come close to Prime95 in terms of power usage. 260W looks really high too, most of the AVX test loads I've seen with similar settings would max out around 180-190W, so I'm not even sure it's measuring correctly.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seasonic is a good brand too, I wouldn't worry about going up to 600 watts, or 650 from the wall if you have a meter.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

craig588 posted:

Seasonic is a good brand too, I wouldn't worry about going up to 600 watts, or 650 from the wall if you have a meter.

650W is what it's rated to deliver on the DC side. Max draw from the AC side (at the wall socket) would be 650W divided by the efficiency, which for a gold-rated PSU should never be below 85% even at full load, so you could theoretically see around 750W at the wall socket without tripping overcurrent protection.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
On top of that there's usually an extra 5-20% (often even more than this: 28% on a Corsair RMx, 35% on a Seasonic Focus) overhead before the protections trigger.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 27, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd give it a bit of derating for age, but yeah if it's new the full capacity is available, but only for a few years.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll still set a power limit of like 250W in the bios too

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll still set a power limit of like 250W in the bios too

I think that's an abundance of caution but also probably won't hurt you. Unless you have a really odd-ball use case of professional video rendering you won't be continually running AVX instructions for a prolonged period of time like it does in the benchmark. Plus your PSU already passed the test, there's no guarantee even a 750 PSU would pass it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Lockback posted:

I think that's an abundance of caution but also probably won't hurt you. Unless you have a really odd-ball use case of professional video rendering you won't be continually running AVX instructions for a prolonged period of time like it does in the benchmark. Plus your PSU already passed the test, there's no guarantee even a 750 PSU would pass it.

Nope no rendering, it's purely a gaming PC. Do any modern games use AVX? I vaguely recall reading the PS3 emulator did

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nope no rendering, it's purely a gaming PC. Do any modern games use AVX? I vaguely recall reading the PS3 emulator did

Web Browsers can for certain things and probably at some point some games will use the instruction set more, but even then the amount of time the CPU spends in that instruction set is going to be very, very low for anyone not doing specialized rendering or video converting. Setting an AVX offset is the best solution here (since the AVX instruction set literally exists to perform the certain FP calculations faster).

It's a PIA for benchmarking right now since it's realistically the most intensive thing your CPU can do, but running AVX instructions for hours at a time is not a realistic scenario by any stretch. If a game uses AVX for something, it's not like it's going to use those instructions for the entire time.

I mean, if your concerned setting a more conservative power throttle is fine, but I don't think you are actually in any sort of real risk.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

It's fine. No real workload will ever come close to Prime95 in terms of power usage. 260W looks really high too, most of the AVX test loads I've seen with similar settings would max out around 180-190W, so I'm not even sure it's measuring correctly.

How are you cooling that? [edit] Oh Dark Rock Pro. Good temps for AVX load for sure.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

redeyes posted:

How are you cooling that? [edit] Oh Dark Rock Pro. Good temps for AVX load for sure.

I am extremely impressed by this cooler. I had the chip delidded by Silicon Lottery and during all of this stress testing temps never rose past 80C, even on the max heat Small FFT torture test... but the best part is the fact that I never heard the cooler unless I actively listened for it. I mean no its not like 0db or something stupid, just really smooth and quiet. Even with my case open and laying beside me (Weird circumstances caused this temporary setup) I had to put my hand behind the exhaust or the cooler itself to actually verify I was blowing hot air and not just on idle.

Edit: so people on Reddit are saying I lost the 8086K lottery. I thought 1.3v 5.0ghz was good for a 24/7 stable OC?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 29, 2018