Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i still haven't figured out what the "infiltration: 50%" popup means that i see after knocking somebody out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

botany posted:

i still haven't figured out what the "infiltration: 50%" popup means that i see after knocking somebody out.

During the infiltration phase, specific combat like actions like knocking someone out are worth half their normal value, probably because it's easier to do when they are not shooting at you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Worth half xp to be clear. Late in the campaign enemies are worth utterly stupid amounts of xp.

This highly trained enemy agent that dodges everything? 100 xp. This mook in monster armour that's piss easy to double team? 12,000 xp.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Davin Valkri posted:

During the infiltration phase, specific combat like actions like knocking someone out are worth half their normal value, probably because it's easier to do when they are not shooting at you.

oooh so it's an XP modifier? thanks. this game has so many badly explained parts man

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Got suppressors, everybody gonna suicide with two in the back of the head now. :commissar:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think the agent system and the “agent cap” idea is just poorly designed because rescuing informers and using control phrases, the two ways I’ve gained all my new agents, don’t give a poo poo about the cap.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Sooo, agent Brinkman. You say you were shot, almost died and missed the extraction? Now you show up back in base, hmm? Interesting.

I have to keep a written list of my suspects. She is going to the top of it.

The paranoid fear of double agents is well done in this game. I just saw Brinkman's photo pop up on an enemy agent too. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Does this have some arbitrary bullshit deadline mechanic like XCOM2's avatar project or random events that you're forced to do or suffer consequences but all your dudes are in poo poo shape? Because this is a immediate pass from me if either is true.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SpazmasterX posted:

Does this have some arbitrary bullshit deadline mechanic like XCOM2's avatar project or random events that you're forced to do or suffer consequences but all your dudes are in poo poo shape? Because this is a immediate pass from me if either is true.

There’s a doomsday counter but it’s piss easy to control. It’s one of the mission you can find and if you’re spread out sufficiently you can counter them with two agents and not run a mission. And if you let the danger counter hit full and stay there without moving you’ll have a base raid but that’s also pretty easy to counter by just having enough money to move your base after you exploit the full danger meter to hire/fire agents as needed.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SlightlyMad posted:

Sooo, agent Brinkman. You say you were shot, almost died and missed the extraction? Now you show up back in base, hmm? Interesting.

I have to keep a written list of my suspects. She is going to the top of it.

The paranoid fear of double agents is well done in this game. I just saw Brinkman's photo pop up on an enemy agent too. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

It is possible to discover enemy agents on your Hire list :tinfoil:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

There’s a doomsday counter but it’s piss easy to control. It’s one of the mission you can find and if you’re spread out sufficiently you can counter them with two agents and not run a mission. And if you let the danger counter hit full and stay there without moving you’ll have a base raid but that’s also pretty easy to counter by just having enough money to move your base after you exploit the full danger meter to hire/fire agents as needed.

Also the doomsday counters only pop up at the end of a chapter once you have made enough plot progress. It's not constant and has lots of warning and chances to delay.

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

I really appreciate how forgiving this game is for failures and mistakes. Since they're fixing all the crash bugs, I think this might be the first game I try an ironman playthrough and actually enjoy it. You'll definitely notice if you save scum that you can breeze through the game if you know what you're doing.

I feel that DO OR DIE in these kind of games has almost ingrained into my psyche that losing a mission = gg. Kinda like how stealing mechanics in most RPGs have ridiculous punishments if you get caught. You stole a shirt? NOW YOU DIE! Sigh time to save scum for the 20th time and roll better...

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

Worth half xp to be clear. Late in the campaign enemies are worth utterly stupid amounts of xp.

This highly trained enemy agent that dodges everything? 100 xp. This mook in monster armour that's piss easy to double team? 12,000 xp.

Spot the agent who dunked on enemy reinforcements. (Story mission with no cleaner so two agents got compromised)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still haven’t really messed with the game much past the early chapters but do you reach a point where you can just buy/build silencers? They’re such baller mods, but I don’t like relying on random loot lockers to find them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still haven’t really messed with the game much past the early chapters but do you reach a point where you can just buy/build silencers? They’re such baller mods, but I don’t like relying on random loot lockers to find them.

Yeah you eventually unlock the ability to craft them.

The thing about a lot of the tech progression in this game is that it's gated behind story progress but not in a logically connected way. So after every major story mission you'll often find yourself unlocking a bunch of seemingly basic things that you just weren't allowed to get before.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I still don’t get the BE chem unlock progression. Out of nowhere i’ll get like 3 of them at once and nothing else for what seems like too long.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jackhammer posted:

Spot the agent who dunked on enemy reinforcements. (Story mission with no cleaner so two agents got compromised)

"borrowed" swat helmets, heavily padded bullet proof vests, jeans

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

loving hell, I spent over an hour stealthing a level where I had to disarm three bombs, picked up all the loot and documents, then I can't disarm the last one from any angle for some reason, and several turns later an agent discovers a dead body and I get wasted. Really killed my urge to play anytime soon.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

"borrowed" swat helmets, heavily padded bullet proof vests, jeans

They might be pretending to be GSG9!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Does gas grenade effect ever expire in a mission? It killed my agent from full health and a med kit worth of health.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

pedro0930 posted:

Does gas grenade effect ever expire in a mission? It killed my agent from full health and a med kit worth of health.

I believe it should expire in a few turns, but I think there are different types of gas grenades. How many hit points did your agent have to begin with?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

Immediately rush out the starting room with MG and overwatch as many enemy as you can. When flanked the AI will almost always move, this allowing you to get multiple attacks out of each agent while the enemy has no awareness and cover. Don't forget to bring full gadgets and use them.

Thank god, I managed to complete the mission first try, after coming back to it. I don't think I overwatch enough in general, so I did it a bit more in this mission (especially at the start) and I think that gave me the slight edge I needed early on, to avoid getting swamped. Managed to pull out with all three agents (two moderately wounded, but one healed himself back to max HP mid-mission*) and slaughtered a heap of the Beholder guys, before my van arrived. Now I can finally continue with the story!

*Speaking of which, are medkits one-time use, or can they be replenished and reused on later missions, like lockpicks?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Major Isoor posted:

*Speaking of which, are medkits one-time use, or can they be replenished and reused on later missions, like lockpicks?

You can reuse them on later missions.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SlightlyMad posted:

You can reuse them on later missions.

Excellent, thanks - I think I'll hand them out to agents more often, then. I'd been using them quite sparingly up until now, so that's good to know

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

When you're about to use Sure Shot to oneshot an enemy agent with a sniper rifle, the game will tell you that it'll break Infiltration. That's a bug. Oneshotting agents doesn't break cover :jihad:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
deffo use med packs whenever possible. they're kind of bullshit. if you come into a tactical mission with 20 health and use a medpack to get back to 80 health you will no longer have an injured status on the strategy map. that is a lot faster health recovery than in the infirmary.

edit: also, are 'compromised' identities as overrated as i think? you need to buy a new identity about every 2 missions. but as far as i can work out they're only relevant for avoiding aggro from enemy agents when you're disguised.

Zane fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 26, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pretty sure sure shot is bugged to do head shot levels damage with the sniper rifle, it's real powerful right now.

In other news, slowly playing a second campaign on hard. I had to assault an enemy recon without doing my own recon. No silencers, enemy agent in the open of a huge room with two guards with more outside. Both my agents had early lmgs.

Couldn't take down the agent, couldn't kill him in one burst, we would take heaps of damage if he or the other guards survived.

So I had one agent overwatch from where they could see everyone and the other point blank full auto the enemy agent from the other side. The agent survives that, runs to cover, gets gunned down half way, his two flunkies get gunned down running closer. Game owns, I love beating on the ai like that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Zane posted:

deffo use med packs whenever possible. they're kind of bullshit. if you come into a tactical mission with 20 health and use a medpack to get back to 80 health you will no longer have an injured status on the strategy map. that is a lot faster than health recovery in the infirmary.

edit: also, are 'compromised' identities as overrated as i think? you need to buy a new identity about every 2 missions. but as far as i can work out they're only relevant for avoiding aggro from enemy agents when you're disguised.

Haha I was wondering if that would work, thanks for confirming.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a compiled list of tips anywhere? Like what upgrades to prioritize, how to manage the economy, and how to optimize map travel

I love this game so far, I do like how it rewards good planning ahead of the missions. Executing an alpha strike and escaping is very satisfying. I hope there is a bank heist type of mission at some point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Is there a compiled list of tips anywhere? Like what upgrades to prioritize, how to manage the economy, and how to optimize map travel

I love this game so far, I do like how it rewards good planning ahead of the missions. Executing an alpha strike and escaping is very satisfying. I hope there is a bank heist type of mission at some point.

It's really cool and different, yeah. The missions are very smash and grab, I dig it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way, do off-map support agents who actually do stuff (like spotters and presumably snipers later on) get any experience for using their abilities, at all? Like, a spotter receiving a minor experience boost for each enemy spotted, or something? I'm at work right now so I can't check/compare before-and-after xp totals, although I don't recall seeing any icon/+xp for them, on the post-mission 'tactical team photo' screen.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's really cool and different, yeah. The missions are very smash and grab, I dig it.

Its pretty cool but the stealth side of the game is incredibly anemic for how much time you'll spend doing it.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Major Isoor posted:

By the way, do off-map support agents who actually do stuff (like spotters and presumably snipers later on) get any experience for using their abilities, at all? Like, a spotter receiving a minor experience boost for each enemy spotted, or something? I'm at work right now so I can't check/compare before-and-after xp totals, although I don't recall seeing any icon/+xp for them, on the post-mission 'tactical team photo' screen.

I don't think I've ever seen support agents get xp.

For the economy management, crafting decoys and then selling them in the crew quarters screen nets a few hundred every few hours. Other craftables seem less profitable, but I haven't really checked the craft to sell ratio of prices in detail, so maybe you can find a better one. Always max out forging slots for cash.

Selling guns and other :jihad: loot is good money, obviously, but given the amount of doping going on there really should be an option to sponsor a professional sports team and sell them the good stuff. :goshawk:

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I bought this in advance because the actual spy theme is under-utilised and completely up my street, but because of the rather scathing RPS review of it I haven't played around with it at all until today. I'm enjoying what I've done so far, but what I have done so far is mostly re-start over and over and slowly improving what I'm doing as I get used to all of the opaque systems. BTW, I'm a fan of the combat so far albeit having seen so little of it because of how different it is to X-com. It's a different style of combat as you're balance focus and hiding as opposed to just flank forever and over-watch creep which you developed into with X-com after enough time. It's different enough that I don't know how to cheese it.

A couple of pointers I want to ask as I get into this with very little guide's available so far- I get the tactical upgrade which was the first thing I read on the thread and it made missions 100% easier. However, the first one I try it an informer rescue mission and it's easy as you can get 100% stealth it with the disguised agent by knocking everyone else and creeping, and I also picked off the assasin at the end by just hanging around the evac and quick sniping him with a grenade. Awesome drive by.

However, second game I've attempted I did the same thing, tactical prep and then assault, and the mission became assasinate the enemy agent instead. That became impossible because I hadn't got hthe upgrade to increase the number of field agents, and his HP was more than mine so stealth takedowns were off the table - I was able to take him out with a breach but then the remaining minions and police on the street gunned down my units before they could evac as they out numbered us 3 to 1 and I couldn't flee enough to get out of range of their pop shots. Any early tips for how you'd complete the mission? Did I set it up wrong, why was it an assinatate mission rather than just to evac the informer?

Also, what does working the investigation board actually do? The hours keep ticking down to something, but it doesn't seem to generate more intel, so I'm not sure what I'm waisting my agent doing here.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
On the campaign map, if the enemy agent is only doing recon (red binoculars icon) then it should be an assassination mission. You only get a rescue mission if they are actively trying to kill an informant.

If you have to do an assassination while triggering alarms then you can try to quietly take down as many minions as you can before the shooting, just be aware that the enemy agent will start moving around after enough of them go missing. If you're not playing on Hard difficulty then this is completely safe as you can hide the bodies, otherwise there's some timing involved and you'll want to prioritize taking down more dangerous enemy types before the agent wakes up (street cops with pistols aren't usually a threat in my experience) and/or clearing a route to the evac zone ahead of time.

ShineDog posted:

Its pretty cool but the stealth side of the game is incredibly anemic for how much time you'll spend doing it.

That's my impression too so far, I keep thinking "Invisible Inc does this better." There are some interesting systems in this game but disguises are too good, especially with Actor+Survivor agents, and you rarely have to make tactical choices if you have one.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Actor is hilariously broken. I'm not sure how to balance it without adding in a whole new mechanic of Suspicion or something to that effect. Like, the agent can't immediately see you, but if you just stand behind him for 3 turns waiting for the patrol to turn around then there should be some sort of downside to that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Actor is hilariously broken. I'm not sure how to balance it without adding in a whole new mechanic of Suspicion or something to that effect. Like, the agent can't immediately see you, but if you just stand behind him for 3 turns waiting for the patrol to turn around then there should be some sort of downside to that.

Yeah this is my feeling too and I think if I end up replaying after finishing the game I'm going to try to avoid using it. Actor takes the one risk associated with using disguises away so it becomes a very rote "wander around the map cleaning everything out, then go karate chop the target or maybe breach if you haven't rolled survivor yet".

The stealth aspect would be a lot more interesting if disguises were more Hitman-like, where you could switch outfits by stealing them from unconscious/dead NPCs and they had access to specific areas, but it probably would have been hard for them to set up all their maps like that (especially give the semi-random positioning of objectives and items). Being able to magic away the bodies also makes it pretty easy to just do whatever you want - the fact that this is disabled on hard mitigates it somewhat but it creates the opposite problem where for some reason the ONLY bodies you can move are enemy agents, so with a bad layout it can become impossible to avoid detection, or at least requires you to take out a silly amount of NPCs just to keep the area "safe". I feel like you should still be able to pick up and move regular guard/civilian bodies as well, but you'd have to actually go hide them somewhere instead of having them just vanish.

For Actor itself, I think it should just be completely removed as a perk, but make it so that speaking the local language gives you the same effect. That would mean languages would go from giving you a distract ability you'll use maybe once in the game, to something that you might actually pay some attention to, and it would force you to rotate your disguised agents around rather than just using the same guys every time and stimming them up so that they just have a shitload of HP to make those nice easy takedowns.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 27, 2018

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The thing is that hard west had a suspicion mechanic and it.. worked? It was kind of vaguely implemented but I'm surprised they just flat dropped it for this when it kind of desperately needs it. I hope they expand this aspect down the line.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can I get some good beginner's advice please. What should I do/buy in my base after the first mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Can I get some good beginner's advice please. What should I do/buy in my base after the first mission?

I'm far from being an expert, but I'd definitely get a Forger, so you can change agents' identities to reduce heat (as well as play dress-up with your spy barbies) and put a person working in there to give you an extra $40p/h