Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

My college police department had not 1 but 2 tank-like APCs that would show up whenever there were demonstrations/big public events.

So the fact that Leon never commandeered the S.T.A.R.S. M1 Abrams tank seems like a real missed opportunity at injecting some more realism into the series.
Have you seen Leon's track record with vehicles in the franchise? He'd find a way to total an Abrams tank within 5 minutes and then also cause it to explode as soon as he stepped out onto the sidewalk.

As for the demo reel, one thing that I did notice is that Birkin's body reacts to the damage you deal to him. At the start, you can still see the normal human skin on the left side of his face, but by the time the Birkin segment ends, that part of his body now matches Birkin's mutated right arm in terms of color and texture. If they're putting that level of detail into Birkin's first form, I can only imagine how :wtc: his later forms will look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Finally completed RE7 on Madhouse without using any special items.

The funny thing is, by the time I beat the final boss I had practically zero ammo. I call that genius level design and survival horror at its finest.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

AradoBalanga posted:

Have you seen Leon's track record with vehicles in the franchise? He'd find a way to total an Abrams tank within 5 minutes and then also cause it to explode as soon as he stepped out onto the sidewalk.

As for the demo reel, one thing that I did notice is that Birkin's body reacts to the damage you deal to him. At the start, you can still see the normal human skin on the left side of his face, but by the time the Birkin segment ends, that part of his body now matches Birkin's mutated right arm in terms of color and texture. If they're putting that level of detail into Birkin's first form, I can only imagine how :wtc: his later forms will look.

His final forms in the laboratory and later on the train is going to look awesome in every sense of the word.

As a one-off bad guy, Birkin has always been one of the more memorable villians of the series for me, I know there's Wesker and all but the guy's a meme. Birkin is just pure evil.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
poo poo I wonder what Annete's gonna look like

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

poo poo I wonder what Annete's gonna look like

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

His final forms in the laboratory and later on the train is going to look awesome in every sense of the word.

As a one-off bad guy, Birkin has always been one of the more memorable villians of the series for me, I know there's Wesker and all but the guy's a meme. Birkin is just pure evil.

hot take, one of the reasons RE2 is so awesome is because it doesn't have Wesker.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

hot take, one of the reasons RE2 is so awesome is because it doesn't have Wesker.

Do you think they can resist bringing Wesker back, if only for a small appearance, now that they are reimagining the storyline?

I'd be curious to see his redesigned character model, if nothing else

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I mean I'm sure he would look amazing in the new engine. But I wouldn't want him anywhere near RE2 and RE3.

I really hate CVX though, so I don't mind whatever they do with him if they remake that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If Capcom is going with face-scanning for everyone its hard to imagine Wesker (as we understand him currently) looking "better" in the new engine than he did in RE5. Facial capture is great for games that want you to take them seriously (even in spite of ridiculous circumstances, see Uncharted 4) but imagine "complete global saturation" coming out of a regular looking dude.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just get DC Douglas to cosplay as Wesker and scan him. It'll be fine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really can't wait to see how many things get remixed and changed up. Wonder up Ben and Robert Kendo will be in the new game? Can't imagine how different things like 4th Survivor will look, or if upgrade parts for the magnum/pistol/shotgun will still exist.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think Wesker is more a pure evil guy while Birkin is definitely infinitely scarier and gross; it's hosed up how he basically turned the virus on himself as a way out and is basically a victim of his own hosed up mutagen. The detail on his transformation in games like Darkside Chronicles with that freakish arm and a secondary skull pushing out of his chest and his real face sloughing down his breast is just purely grotesque. The fact that he started as a normal guy makes it creepier.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As normal as a guy who calls a tube of virus "precious" can be anyways.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I mean he was still working on bioweapons for a company that totally kills people on the regular. Him and Wesker are both pretty evil I'd say.

DLC Inc posted:

I really can't wait to see how many things get remixed and changed up. Wonder up Ben and Robert Kendo will be in the new game? Can't imagine how different things like 4th Survivor will look, or if upgrade parts for the magnum/pistol/shotgun will still exist.

I bet Ben and Kendo will be in, it's good to have humans who can get horrifically murdered in front of you to up the stakes like that poor cop in RE7.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What I like about the Birkin couple is that they basically both fit the archetype of the scientist so obsessed by their research they don't consider the ethics of it and even start hurting those around them (IIRC in Darkside Chronicles there are some lines from Sherry about how she very rarely sees her parents), but in the end one of them gets absolutely consumed by what he was pursuing and another redeems herself.

I mean that's a very simple story, but I still think it's cool and thematically interesting.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Resident Evil Zero didn't have much going for it, but Birkin's little cameo where his idea of a menacing, badass one-liner is "I will continue your research!" always cracks me up. It's like Wesker was off to do cool poo poo, and his nerdy roommate just kept bugging the poo poo out of him begging to be allowed to come along this one time. Wesker finally gets sick of it and tells Birkin he can come help him murder people just this ONE TIME, and Birkin is so childishly excited about it.

Birkin is the biggest loser imaginable.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The thing I was most disappointed about in RE 7 was the molded enemies. They just looked like a gooey piles of nothing and were not really that satisfying to fight.

But that said, you can see how the same animation technology and basic style from them is being used for the mutated parts of Birkin and it looks great here.

I guess just having a human form to anchor the wriggly bits too makes a big difference.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I mean he was still working on bioweapons for a company that totally kills people on the regular. Him and Wesker are both pretty evil I'd say.

Both of the Birkins are characters who got pretty worked over by the evolution of the franchise. RE2 is when they started trying to build on the thin skeleton of the original game in the theory they might have a franchise there, so they hadn't really fleshed out Umbrella as a company, and by the time they did, it retroactively made William complicit in thousands of murders through live human testing, the assassination of James Marcus, and at least some of Wesker's plans.

It's kind of weird to go back to RE2 and read what little it says about William and Annette. Taken in a vacuum, William seems entirely focused on research, and there's a file that says his whole plan with the G-Virus is to use it to get a promotion. Sure, he's bribing Irons, and he has to know that Irons is, at the very least, an unstable psychopath, so his hands are by no means clean, but you get the idea from how Annette and Sherry refer to him that William might have been at least somewhat redeemable. Then Wesker's Report II recontextualized the whole thing and William Birkin is now one of the great all-time criminals against humanity.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vakal posted:

The thing I was most disappointed about in RE 7 was the molded enemies. They just looked like a gooey piles of nothing and were not really that satisfying to fight.

But that said, you can see how the same animation technology and basic style from them is being used for the mutated parts of Birkin and it looks great here.

I guess just having a human form to anchor the wriggly bits too makes a big difference.

i thought the molded were okay enemies that got a little ruined by the actual combat being a bit shoddy and by virtue of them overstaying their welcome. them being potentially mobile and threatening is sort of negated by the fact that your way of interacting with them is so static and cumbersome.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Both of the Birkins are characters who got pretty worked over by the evolution of the franchise. RE2 is when they started trying to build on the thin skeleton of the original game in the theory they might have a franchise there, so they hadn't really fleshed out Umbrella as a company, and by the time they did, it retroactively made William complicit in thousands of murders through live human testing, the assassination of James Marcus, and at least some of Wesker's plans.

It's kind of weird to go back to RE2 and read what little it says about William and Annette. Taken in a vacuum, William seems entirely focused on research, and there's a file that says his whole plan with the G-Virus is to use it to get a promotion. Sure, he's bribing Irons, and he has to know that Irons is, at the very least, an unstable psychopath, so his hands are by no means clean, but you get the idea from how Annette and Sherry refer to him that William might have been at least somewhat redeemable. Then Wesker's Report II recontextualized the whole thing and William Birkin is now one of the great all-time criminals against humanity.

Resident Evil's story really is batshit crazy when you consider how Ozwell Spencer was constantly mentioned but took more than 5 games or so to even show up, and then is killed immediately. Similarly, Wesker starts off as a sinister two-face but by the end of 5, turns out he was actually a cloned superbaby from the start who eventually turned into a proto-vampire.The path that Resident Evil took after the 3rd game is positively insane; going from city escapes and spooky mansions to worldwide espionage, insectwomen, Spanish cults, and a comic book villain who rewrites the series as a long con into some hosed up Darwinian struggle for evolutionary supremacy.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Backhand posted:

Resident Evil Zero didn't have much going for it, but Birkin's little cameo where his idea of a menacing, badass one-liner is "I will continue your research!" always cracks me up. It's like Wesker was off to do cool poo poo, and his nerdy roommate just kept bugging the poo poo out of him begging to be allowed to come along this one time. Wesker finally gets sick of it and tells Birkin he can come help him murder people just this ONE TIME, and Birkin is so childishly excited about it.

Birkin is the biggest loser imaginable.

One of my favourite Two Best Friends Play moment is when they describe RE0s plot as "Billy and Rebecca fight giant <insert monster here> while Wesker and Birkin have the lamest Saturday night known to man." It's so true.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DLC Inc posted:

Resident Evil's story really is batshit crazy when you consider how Ozwell Spencer was constantly mentioned but took more than 5 games or so to even show up, and then is killed immediately. Similarly, Wesker starts off as a sinister two-face but by the end of 5, turns out he was actually a cloned superbaby from the start who eventually turned into a proto-vampire.The path that Resident Evil took after the 3rd game is positively insane; going from city escapes and spooky mansions to worldwide espionage, insectwomen, Spanish cults, and a comic book villain who rewrites the series as a long con into some hosed up Darwinian struggle for evolutionary supremacy.

A lot about the overarching plot of the series made more sense to me when I found out that A) it was never supposed to be a franchise and only got hastily upgraded to one after the second game came out, and B) the lead writer died suddenly in 2005.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Do you think they can resist bringing Wesker back, if only for a small appearance, now that they are reimagining the storyline?

I'd be curious to see his redesigned character model, if nothing else
If they do some kind of multiplayer mode like Mercenaries, I could see them dumping Wesker into that as a bonus unlockable character and not completely ruffle any feathers in the process.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I mean, according to the post-RE2 Ada scenario in Umbrella Chronicles, Wesker had his fingers in a lot of pies even during the Raccoon City outbreak. Wouldn't be impossible to catch a hint of him on a video call or something.

Or hell, Separate Ways: RE2 Edition.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like Wesker, I do not want him in literally every entry.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Why would you not want this beautiful man in every game, including non-RE ones

e: also holy poo poo the video compression on the Saturn version is terrible, I can barely tell what any of those numbers are supposed to be

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The reason I don't like Wesker is that he was really the deciding element that turned the series from relatively independent, monster-focused games into one Big Epic Saga.

One cool thing about the original trilogy is that traitorous, backstabbing humans get one-upped by the monsters every time. Wesker gets done in by the Tyrant. Irons gets killed by the G-Parasite. Birkin gets absorbed by his own virus, and Annette gets killed by her monster husband. Nicholai (potentially) gets killed by the Nemesis.

The games obviously have connections, but they're relatively self-contained. The core four are obviously good shots, tough to kill, and very lucky, but they still register as regular people. In all three games, you're just trying to escape the nightmare.

CVX comes around, and Wesker is running on walls and jumping 30 feet in the air. Now there's a big mythology with a supervillain who has long monologues. Wesker gets all of the upsides of a super virus but no downsides. There's this big cliffhanger of Chris and Wesker having a final showdown. Now it's the Resident Evil Cinematic Universe, and you have to wait five years for Thanos to get killed.

Brian Irons is a really good villain, because he's so comparatively down to earth. He just wants to rape, murder, and taxidermy people. He's a fat guy with a gun, and he gets torn apart by a science experiment he can't even begin to understand.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:yeah:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doc M posted:

Why would you not want this beautiful man in every game, including non-RE ones

e: also holy poo poo the video compression on the Saturn version is terrible, I can barely tell what any of those numbers are supposed to be

Ligma

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Re1’s cutscenes should have been what the resident evil movies were.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ALBERT WESKER

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BARRY BURTON

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I'm the same height as Wesker but I'm also fstter and I don't have superpowers

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm the same height as Wesker but I'm also fstter and I don't have superpowers

The only superpower Wesker had in the first game was being able to see at night while wearing sunglasses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does Wesker really never become a giant, horrific monster?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Re1’s cutscenes should have been what the resident evil movies were.

Naw, the one scene in RE5 where Wesker is in the Oval Office owns and is worth the existence of the entire series.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Open Marriage Night posted:

Does Wesker really never become a giant, horrific monster?

He gets tentacles...that's about it. You will likely hear all about it if you go to one of D.C. Douglas' shows.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That guy puts off shows? His voicing of Wesker was truly horrendous. Ahhh, theah you ahh! *Shudder*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

1st AD posted:

Naw, the one scene in RE5 where Wesker is in the Oval Office owns and is worth the existence of the entire series.

Well I mean the first movie, afterwards it can go like the movies ended up going because who cares.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
About 70% of the Resident Evil films are less charming than a short FMV made for no money with whatever random white people the development team could find.

Like they couldn't seem to stick to even a simple action movie story without changing thier mind (like how the t-virus turned the earth into a desert, but in the next film it didn't). The first is fine and feels Resident Evil-y enough though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

codo27 posted:

That guy puts off shows? His voicing of Wesker was truly horrendous. Ahhh, theah you ahh! *Shudder*

he's an international treasure and we'll speak no more of this