Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really miss having a Subaru.

My Honda Fit is perfectly fine, pretty great even, but I want a new Outback Sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My first car was a Subaru Outback Sport. It was a car. Vroom.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A Radionette Kurér Automatic radio from the 70s.

After an hour of cleaning, it looks pretty decent. Sounds nice too.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

evobatman posted:

That's really pretty.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

evobatman posted:

This is the only song it plays...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO6q9eOQq5g

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What is an automatic radio? Does it automatically switch stations if there is anything but music on?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Built a new PC due to winning a giveaway. Still waiting for the GPU to get here though. In the meantime I've been testing some overclocking

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Fatality is still a thing? heh I think I have a Creative sound card that was branded with his name in a box somewhere.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

JEEVES420 posted:

Fatality is still a thing? heh I think I have a Creative sound card that was branded with his name in a box somewhere.

This is the last year they're using it I think. Found that out shortly after I bought the board. Makes sense, new PC gamers probably have no idea who that is. I just recognize the name from when he was popular, don't think I ever knew what he even played

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Q3 I think.

Are you getting an RTX card or is your build already obsolete? :smug:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

What is an automatic radio? Does it automatically switch stations if there is anything but music on?

In this case it's auto as in car. You could buy a kit with antenna and speakers to wire into your car, and the radio would be like a removable head unit.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
This seems like a good place to brag now that they've confirmed the ticket will be honored:

Business class from LAX to Bangkok for $620. Usually about $3000.

Lie-flat seats

Non-terrible food, free alcohol

Free food and alcohol in the airport lounge

This will be my first time flying anything but economy so I'm pretty loving psyched.

I'll be spending a month between Thailand and Vietnam, but that prospect is not quite as exciting as getting this fare while it was live.

Magic Underwear has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Aug 26, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

Q3 I think.

most builds are obsolete by the time they arrive

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Q3 I think.

Going for obsolescence. Bought a cheap 1080. 500 for even a cheap 2070 was kinda crazy

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How much is a cheap 1080 now?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Hopefully with buttcoins crashing, the peak demand pricing for gpus might come down a bit

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Magic Underwear posted:

Cool airplane poo poo

How'd you get the flight for so cheap if I may ask?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

How much is a cheap 1080 now?

I bought mine direct from EVGA for 400. I've seen them as low as like mid 300s though

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

1redflag posted:

How'd you get the flight for so cheap if I may ask?

It was a mistake on their part, the business class ticket was set to the economy price. Bloggers picked it up and I just happened to see it while it was live. It only lasted four or five hours before being fixed.

Mistake fares get canceled after the fact a lot, but this airline (hong kong airlines) is smaller and trying to break in to the US to Asia market. They officially announced they are going to honor the tickets on twitter. I guess they just chalked it up to a marketing cost or something.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Congrats! That's a truly awesome price, even if you were flying economy.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Quake and later unreal tournament I think. Wonder what that guy is up to these days.

Apparently he still plays games. A quick Google shows he's been playing pubg on twitch.

sterster has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Aug 26, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Underwear posted:

It was a mistake on their part, the business class ticket was set to the economy price. Bloggers picked it up and I just happened to see it while it was live. It only lasted four or five hours before being fixed.

Mistake fares get canceled after the fact a lot, but this airline (hong kong airlines) is smaller and trying to break in to the US to Asia market. They officially announced they are going to honor the tickets on twitter. I guess they just chalked it up to a marketing cost or something.

I scored this deal a few years ago:

mobby_6kl posted:

A bit of a brag on a deal I scored:

There's a 17 hour stopover at Addis Ababa for a quick city tour, and the local flights aren't included:

It was also an error fare and they honored it. In general I think you have a decent chance if you book and pay immediately.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Video game tournament shooters are actually very active in 2018

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

First Class Flight Stuff

Enjoy. I flew Delta One once home from Tokyo and it was incredible. Got offered a bump coming home, which actually got us home earlier than we were scheduled and got upgraded to Delta One in return. I felt so much better getting off the plane than I did when I flew there. Except that I didn't want to look at food for at least 10 hours because I ate my face off on the plane.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Magic Underwear posted:

Where in Thailand are you staying!?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

mobby_6kl posted:

I scored this deal a few years ago:

It was also an error fare and they honored it. In general I think you have a decent chance if you book and pay immediately.

That's insane. That's got to be an even better discount than what I got even, with all those different legs.

a_good_username posted:

Where in Thailand are you staying!?

There are an overwhelming number of hotels in Bangkok, right now I have a reservation for a pretty cheap place about ten minutes walk from khao san road but I haven't fully made up my mind.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Video game tournament shooters are actually very active in 2018

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

This is really sad and all, but why post about it in this thread?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you can't see the tangential connection to the concepts "video game, tournament, fatality, shooter" then I can't help ya bruh

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you can't see the tangential connection to the concepts "video game, tournament, fatality, shooter" then I can't help ya bruh

I just done see those topics being talked about....

Anyway, I just bout the board game scythe and the expansion The Rise Of Fenris. Haven't played the expansion yet but I think that scythe is now my favorite game by far.

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Aug 27, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyway, I just bout the board game scythe and the expansion The Rise Of Fenris haven't played the expansion but I think that scythe is now my favorite game by far.

Definitely grab the Wind Gambit as well, I haven't played Fenris but I wouldn't touch Scythe again without the airships.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyway, I just bout the board game scythe and the expansion The Rise Of Fenris haven't played the expansion but I think that scythe is now my favorite game by far.

Someone bought a Fatal1ty (old school pro gamer) motherboard. Another poster was surprised his stuff was still around and discovered he's still an active gamer on Twitch. Then someone linked to the shooting saying gamers are actually really active.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I bought this today to press air bubbles out of resin as it cures. For turning on a lathe.

Also a couple of these to test RFID chips with. Now I just need a HID with Wiegand and I think I can setup any type of chip.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Magic Underwear posted:

That's insane. That's got to be an even better discount than what I got even, with all those different legs.

There are an overwhelming number of hotels in Bangkok, right now I have a reservation for a pretty cheap place about ten minutes walk from khao san road but I haven't fully made up my mind.

Sounds great! If you get a chance I'd rec Chiang Mai as well - it's like a $40, 1 hour flight from bangkok and is a much chiller contrast to it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Got me a new commuting bike as I got bored with my old singlespeed. I was really surprised to have gotten it as fast as I did (2.5 weeks).

A Schindelhauer Ludwig I with custom racing bars. The bikeshop added this option themselfs and made me jump on it immediately

It's so quiet, it's my small stealthbomber now.

Helios Grime has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Aug 27, 2018

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That bike looks cool. I may look into that when I move back to Portland.

Content: I bought this cyber-punk'd avatar.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

I bought this today to press air bubbles out of resin as it cures. For turning on a lathe.

Also a couple of these to test RFID chips with. Now I just need a HID with Wiegand and I think I can setup any type of chip.

Neat; are you going to make RFID-enabled tabled or something? I feel like you have some cool hobbies/projects that people would be interested in reading about.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Gonna make one bomb rear end turkey this November.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

1redflag posted:

Neat; are you going to make RFID-enabled tabled or something? I feel like you have some cool hobbies/projects that people would be interested in reading about.

RFID stuff is for embedding chips into wood/metal hybrid rings and laser etched leather bracelets/watch bands. Need the read/writers connected to Arduino for copying existing cards/tags and eventually adding into my home automation for door locks. The Wiegand encryption is what most HID corporate card readers use ("its secure" lol) so I can clone someones employee badge if they want one. I also hope to tie the chips into tap/wave pay and be able to unlock devices. Might be a long shot but having "one ring to rule them all" so to speak, that opens car door/keyless start car, opens home/work doors with wave of hand, unlocks computer when hands are above keyboard, unlocks phone when you pick it up, etc. However I have a feeling its going to end up being a Thanos gauntlet with all the different RFID chips :v:

The pressure pot is for making resin hybrid blanks for turning projects. Mainly Spheres and other decorative art pieces. On the list is a vacuum chamber (using a communal one, but each run is 24h in the chamber) for creating stabilized wood blanks. You can add dye and powders to both the resin and stabilizing juice to give different colors and effects to the pieces.

Other projects in various states of completion are; never ending Home Automation system, Android app controlled mini submarine with camera, Android app controlled floor mopper/detailer (based on a remote control one I built in HS like 20 years ago), IN 16 Nixie clock, wooden stem wine glass with brass inlay (inlay keeps popping out while I am filing it down), spiral turned candle holder, 3d Laser scanned part I am fixing in Fusion 360 for 3d printing in either SLA or ABS, 2 Bookcases, coffee table/end tables, and bedroom set. On the list of things to learn by the end of the year is metal forging/welding/milling both CNC and by hand.

I also just found a source for $4 4"x12"x9' live edge planks of cedar so probably a resin/wood river table. And picking up a busted microwave in a few days for the transformer to make Lichtenberg figures into wood :science: and have a plan to make a humidor with some of the cedar and oak outside with the Lichtenberg design on it. I need more power to capture them in resin so now I am also researching Van De Graaff generators.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have you considered getting a hobby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

Gonna make one bomb rear end turkey this November.

Now you’re on a watch list.