Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RE71Rs are made of pure chetonium, they are basically a rcomp with a 200tw label stuck on it for class reasons. Yes, they are better. In a narrow range they are quicker than some of the 100TW tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone going to NASA national championships at COTA?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

BlackMK4 posted:

RE71Rs are made of pure chetonium, they are basically a rcomp with a 200tw label stuck on it for class reasons. Yes, they are better. In a narrow range they are quicker than some of the 100TW tires.

Yeah. Mine were toast after 6 track days.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Residency Evil posted:

Finally, does literally every person that does this have a second set of wheels with RE71s mounted that they bring to the track? I was one of the only guys there on street tires. Is that something I'm going to need to think about down the road? Are RE71s that much better than something like Michelin PS4s?

It's Porsche club, dude. Land of the guys that will spend $30k+ on an air cooled 993 that was last sold new 20 years ago because of *the sound*. You should see what the porsche club guys do at track days with regards to displays of wealth.

On that note, anyone notice that any 911 model cabriolet is gonna get pampered around every corner? It's like they attract old farts that don't want to spill the glass of wine on the dash.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Pretty sure 993 prices crept well above $30k a while ago

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The fancier the car the easier I see a lot of people driving them, in my experience. I don't see a problem, at least they're getting out to the track. Now if they're holding everyone up, that's a different story.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I saw an old NSX totalled at a track day and I was actually very sad because there's not that many of them around anymore. Go hog wild in that loving porsche though they all look the same anyway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BloodBag posted:

It's Porsche club, dude. Land of the guys that will spend $30k+ on an air cooled 993 that was last sold new 20 years ago because of *the sound*. You should see what the porsche club guys do at track days with regards to displays of wealth.

On that note, anyone notice that any 911 model cabriolet is gonna get pampered around every corner? It's like they attract old farts that don't want to spill the glass of wine on the dash.

I've only started going recently, but the PCA guys here (at least the ones that autocross) seem pretty chill. One of the fastest guys there was a guy driving his old 1992 964 Cup. :shrug:

I just need to figure out how deep I want to go with this, and whether it just makes more sense to get something like an old spec Miata. Apparently you can now also pick up old spec RX7s for dirt cheap since they're no longer a series.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KidDynamite posted:

I saw an old NSX totalled at a track day and I was actually very sad because there's not that many of them around anymore. Go hog wild in that loving porsche though they all look the same anyway.

The porsche caymans aren't increasing in price and getting to point where you can just buy and beat to death range plus they aren't terribad at what they do but you are still buying a porsche that looks like every other porsche.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Gigi Galli posted:

The fancier the car the easier I see a lot of people driving them, in my experience. I don't see a problem, at least they're getting out to the track. Now if they're holding everyone up, that's a different story.

The fastest cars at VIR yesterday and the day before, outside of the track-record-setting race cars, were a 911 GT3RS and a 911 GT3. So, YMMV.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KidDynamite posted:

Our local guy bought a totaled out stripped NSX shell some years ago and has rebuild it into a time attack car. There was an article about him in GRM earlier this year
e: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/resurrecting-totaled-acura-nsx-dream-track-car/

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 27, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I drive a BBW posted:

Anyone going to NASA national championships at COTA?

I'll probably come out and watch

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

The Prong Song posted:

The fastest cars at VIR yesterday and the day before, outside of the track-record-setting race cars, were a 911 GT3RS and a 911 GT3. So, YMMV.

A C5 vette FTD'd every Thunder session on Saturday. A vette also FTDd TT Saturday.

Also, that GT3?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So, the Portland BMW Club does an HPDE day at the Portland International Raceway (which is a thing?!) four times a year and they say that they welcome Novices.

It looks and sounds really fun, and it would be a fun way to play with my new car, but I seriously am as Novice as it gets. I've been driving for 15 years, but never set foot on a track.

Are true beginners welcome at events like this? It seems amazing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Yes. BMWCCA runs quality events here. I would guess they are decent there as well. Any program worth a poo poo can handle a true beginner.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

edit: Also, is there any difference in helmets? How much do I need to spend to get a decent SA2015 rated helmet that I can use for a while?

As long as it's got that SA rating, the helmet will protect your head just fine at any price. Features, fit, and weight are what separates the cheap ones from the expensive ones. The $250 entry level ones are just fine if you don't want to spend more and they will last until 2025, at which point most groups will no longer accept them.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So, the Portland BMW Club does an HPDE day at the Portland International Raceway (which is a thing?!) four times a year and they say that they welcome Novices.

It looks and sounds really fun, and it would be a fun way to play with my new car, but I seriously am as Novice as it gets. I've been driving for 15 years, but never set foot on a track.

Yes, the car club programs are designed to accommodate total noobs in their novice groups. They will assign you an instructor to ride shotgun with you all day long and keep you out of the wall.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yup, that's how I got my start. They expect people with zero track experience at all, that's what HPDEs are designed for. Sign up and have a blast

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes true beginners are often the best students since they don’t have stupid egos that prevent them from listening to an instructor.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

A C5 vette FTD'd every Thunder session on Saturday. A vette also FTDd TT Saturday.

Also, that GT3?

Gil Smith did a 1:56.5 in a C6Z06 on Saturday and a 1:57.5 Sunday in TT, and I think the best race laps were around a 2:02 Thunder and a 2:12 in Lightning? The Vette you're talking about did a 1:59.1 in qualifying.

The Porsche I was talking about (OK, yes, self-timed) was doing 2:01s in traffic; his buddy wasn't far behind him from what I saw.

As for the course records I mentioned, my bad. That was the previous week; I was talking about it with some guys in paddock. I thought I saw you there with a new black fender; but didn't walk around paddock enough to find you. Good times for you? Were you racing, or just out for fun?

EDIT2: I actually have like 10 questions I'd love to chat with you about.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 28, 2018

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
PM me.

I raced, no one fast showed up so I didn't have the motivation to drive fast. Won both races without really trying. For reference on how little I tried. I picked up something in my RR tire and it leaked down to 12psi. Noticed it with 5 mins before the race. Filled it to 35 and sent it. Drove left handers at like 7/10, and came back to the paddock at 8psi.

Iirc my best time was like a 2:18.5 on old sm7s. I had a mid 2:17 predictive lap but hit traffic.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Are these rotors loving hosed, mate? 7 trackdays of DTC-60 and undercooled, undersized brake system.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Are these rotors loving hosed, mate? 7 trackdays of DTC-60 and undercooled, undersized brake system.

I've seen worse but non slotted or drilled rotors are cheap enough, just replace em.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd keep running that until it cracks to the edge, but I am cheap.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 10, 2018

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd keep running that until it cracks to the edge, but I am cheap.

General rule is to replace them once you can catch a fingernail on one of the cracks.

I've had friends than ran them till they cracked to the edge, whole rotor wound up splitting with a 1/4" gap, lost control of the car and almost crashed at the glen.....

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I generally run things to the edge, but I'd trash those. That guy in the middle is going to grow.

I also won a race with a tire at 8psi. Knew it was leaking and knew I could still win.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Did my first day for like two years yesterday at Bedford, went pretty well apart from an exhaust leak causing incredibly rich running and eventually sounding like a tank. Had an instructor session which helped massively with drilling me to look into the apexes correctly. Also with trail braking, which again was a great help with getting faster. I still struggle a bit trying to concentrate on my lines at points with a fair amount of traffic around me but I feel happy with what I've learnt and to remember to apply it when I go to my next day.

I did manage to get some footage of me catching up to another mr2 who then had a bit of a moment, he came pretty drat close to swiping my rear but I kinda feel like I was egging him on a bit which wasn't the greatest idea. No damage done in the end tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf7LcD2pBmE

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 11, 2018

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

track day bro! posted:

I did manage to get some footage of me catching up to another mr2 who then had a bit of a moment, he came pretty drat close to swiping my rear but I kinda feel like I was egging him on a bit which wasn't the greatest idea. No damage done in the end tho.

Lol you nearly ate poo poo there. I think once you guys overtook the Porsche he was driving in his mirrors trying to stay ahead of you rather than paying attention. He's slipping up all over before he loses it. You weren't egging him on as much as he wasn't trying to drive his own line, imo.

What's that flashy gauge on the right side of your cluster?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

Lol you nearly ate poo poo there. I think once you guys overtook the Porsche he was driving in his mirrors trying to stay ahead of you rather than paying attention. He's slipping up all over before he loses it. You weren't egging him on as much as he wasn't trying to drive his own line, imo.

What's that flashy gauge on the right side of your cluster?

He was real close because I saw him flash by in my rear view mirror, if I was going any slower he would've tagged the back of my car. I'm lolling at me trying to wave at him afterwards, I did end up just turning the rest of the lap to a cool-down and coming in because of that.

Thats my wideband which isn't working because the turbo manifold adapter gasket started to blow half way through the day. I was down on boost and the thing was running pig rich I think I went through about 3 tanks of fuel during the day haha.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

FatCow posted:

I generally run things to the edge, but I'd trash those. That guy in the middle is going to grow.

I also won a race with a tire at 8psi. Knew it was leaking and knew I could still win.

Aren't you in a miata though?

Try that at 140+mph coming into the bus stop at the glen and I don't think you'll come out the other side...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

track day bro! posted:

He was real close because I saw him flash by in my rear view mirror, if I was going any slower he would've tagged the back of my car. I'm lolling at me trying to wave at him afterwards, I did end up just turning the rest of the lap to a cool-down and coming in because of that.

Thats my wideband which isn't working because the turbo manifold adapter gasket started to blow half way through the day. I was down on boost and the thing was running pig rich I think I went through about 3 tanks of fuel during the day haha.

Both yours and the instructors reactions were pretty funny. I cant say I wouldn't react the same, that was a bit of an butt puckering moment for sure. I was also surprised at the amount of rotations he got out of that MR2!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Gigi Galli posted:

It's the nice cars that are 2-5 years old that get thrashed. There's a guy with a 997.2 Carrera S I ran with at Roebling that was wicked fast, while the brand new GT3 was puttering along in the novice group.

If you're running novice, don't run it in a GT3. That's a recipe for either destroying your car or learning nothing. It bothers me seeing people try to learn the limits of their own ability in cars where the limits are at a near professional level.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

track day bro! posted:

That's certainly a bit of a pucker, but you handled it fine. He was all over the place ahead of you, even before passing the porsche he seems to be struggling to find the apex. It looked like him clipping the curb was what threw it into a spin. You definitely weren't too close or anything. I've had people spin in front of me a few times, it's always exciting.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Good lord, someone needs to teach that guy "two feet in." If you're sideways in the grass, you aren't saving it. Please don't come back across the track and hit someone.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Apparently he did, to be fair it looked like the momentum still took him back across the track.

But yeah, if it goes round put two feet down is a great idea. It saved me from spinning back onto the apex of a corner on a freezing cold day where I turned in way too hard on cold tyres once.

I had a pal that used to run a bunch of Formula Renaults for single seater experiences. You'd get people who've never driven anything like that spin them, not put both feet down causing the engine to spin backwards and they'd always backfire out of the intake destroying the expensive carbon intake plenums.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It spun like a top, I would assume brakes weren’t on the floor. But I dunno, MR2 snap oversteer?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that wasn't snap oversteer, that was driving in your mirrors and running out of both talent and luck

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When I spun at my last two autocrosses, 'when you spin, both feet in' went through my head both times.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

track day bro! posted:

Apparently he did, to be fair it looked like the momentum still took him back across the track.

But yeah, if it goes round put two feet down is a great idea. It saved me from spinning back onto the apex of a corner on a freezing cold day where I turned in way too hard on cold tyres once.

I had a pal that used to run a bunch of Formula Renaults for single seater experiences. You'd get people who've never driven anything like that spin them, not put both feet down causing the engine to spin backwards and they'd always backfire out of the intake destroying the expensive carbon intake plenums.

I tried out some Radicals at VIR last month and despite that warning one of the other attendees spun at the Fishhook and bought himself an $800 trophy (the price of a new starter motor, he got to keep the destroyed one).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

drgitlin posted:

I tried out some Radicals at VIR last month and despite that warning one of the other attendees spun at the Fishhook and bought himself an $800 trophy (the price of a new starter motor, he got to keep the destroyed one).

i saw your article at work the other day... looked like a bunch of fun :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BloodBag posted:

When I spun at my last two autocrosses, 'when you spin, both feet in' went through my head both times.

Clutch and brake? Or let both feet off the pedals?