Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I just got my Note 9.

Last Note I had was the Note 4, and I used the S-Pen to play the poo poo out of some Kairosoft games.

But for some reason, Dungeon Village isn't recognizing the Note 9 S-Pen.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Google removed the Save Link functionality from the Inbox app! You can still use it in the browser, but I have literally never done that-I've always used it to save a link to view on the desktop later.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/17/google-removes-save-inbox-feature-android-app-still-available-web/

Dammit Google. I trusted you again.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

e: nvm I'm stupid

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hello I am here to complain about the new Fit. Specifically, how it completely threw out the integrations it had with other apps.

Previously it synched with Strava, so all my Strava activities were counted in the Fit total. No longer! Now I either run with my phone, or the app thinks I'm a lazy bum who sits on her rear end all day. Also it used to synch with MyFitnessPal so when I put in my weight in Fit it would automatically be carried over to MFP. Also no longer does that!

The new Fit app looks very neat, but is significantly less useful than the previous version. Google! :argh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

looks very neat, but is significantly less useful than the previous version
Google's raison d'etre.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mikl posted:

Hello I am here to complain about the new Fit. Specifically, how it completely threw out the integrations it had with other apps.

Previously it synched with Strava, so all my Strava activities were counted in the Fit total. No longer! Now I either run with my phone, or the app thinks I'm a lazy bum who sits on her rear end all day. Also it used to synch with MyFitnessPal so when I put in my weight in Fit it would automatically be carried over to MFP. Also no longer does that!

The new Fit app looks very neat, but is significantly less useful than the previous version. Google! :argh:

I've still got Strava showing up in the new fit

Maybe try unlinking and relinking it again

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's what I would suggest. I've had an app unlink during an update a long time and that fixed it.

I haven't tried Strava with the new app as of yet, but they seem to be linked in the settings of both apps.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

True, Strava is linked. I didn't notice before, because the new Fit doesn't give you any points for Strava activities (as opposed to the old Fit, which did). I ran five miles yesterday and my Cardio Point total for the day is one.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

kind of tangential to the thread, but i find it fascinating that anyone would ever continue to use an app like strava after their well publicized privacy and national security crises

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

kind of tangential to the thread, but i find it fascinating that anyone would ever continue to use an app like strava after their well publicized privacy and national security crises

Unless you're guarding a secret base in Afghanistan, what exactly is the risk?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mikl posted:

True, Strava is linked. I didn't notice before, because the new Fit doesn't give you any points for Strava activities (as opposed to the old Fit, which did). I ran five miles yesterday and my Cardio Point total for the day is one.

Last ride i have on there from Strava is listed as 120 move minutes and 119 heart points?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't think you quite understand what all that fuss was about

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 28, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

How does that Apple Music subscription work? Can I transfer the audio files to my pc, forever, or is it some drm'd filetype or streaming only?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Was curious why the Phone app was updating, so I looked at the update notes and saw this:

"The Phone app has a fresh new look. And coming soon - Dark mode."

I didn't even know I wanted this, but I will be furious when Google removes it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Last ride i have on there from Strava is listed as 120 move minutes and 119 heart points?

Dunno what's wrong with mine then. Two runs in two days, zero minutes and zero points from them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

I worked out yesterday and used a third party app as the timer. This is what Fit says for the day:

In the journal page, it says I have 53 heart points. In the daily summary page, it says I have three. One section is counting the points from the other app, the other section isn't. I got the notification for meeting my goal like five times that evening.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mike12345 posted:

How does that Apple Music subscription work? Can I transfer the audio files to my pc, forever, or is it some drm'd filetype or streaming only?
It's no different than GPM or Spotify in that anything you download as part of the subscription is DRMed and will not play without an active sub. (Assuming there's no way to strip the DRM which I've never looked into.) Anything you've purchased through iTunes or uploaded as part of the iTunes Match service you can download and listen to forever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uthor posted:

I worked out yesterday and used a third party app as the timer. This is what Fit says for the day:

In the journal page, it says I have 53 heart points. In the daily summary page, it says I have three. One section is counting the points from the other app, the other section isn't. I got the notification for meeting my goal like five times that evening.

Odd, it's all showing up fine for me, both pages match

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Endless Mike posted:

It's no different than GPM or Spotify in that anything you download as part of the subscription is DRMed and will not play without an active sub. (Assuming there's no way to strip the DRM which I've never looked into.) Anything you've purchased through iTunes or uploaded as part of the iTunes Match service you can download and listen to forever.

Aha. Well that sucks.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Edit: I'm real dumb and confused the Phone app with the Messenger app.

Edit 2: Google's default Phone app is blindingly white with it's latest update. What's a good alternative to it?

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 28, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Assistant will not play any album of mine, saying it's only available to Google Play Music subscribers. This includes albums I have bought on GPM, albums I have manually uploaded, albums saved to my phone, and albums still in the cloud.

This wouldn't be an issue if one could just pick an album in Android Auto, but you need to use voice commands for basically anything other than the last half dozen albums added to your library.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Odd, it's all showing up fine for me, both pages match

Hey, they fixed it. Now both pages are not counting the Heart Points!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Assistant will not play any album of mine, saying it's only available to Google Play Music subscribers. This includes albums I have bought on GPM, albums I have manually uploaded, albums saved to my phone, and albums still in the cloud.

This wouldn't be an issue if one could just pick an album in Android Auto, but you need to use voice commands for basically anything other than the last half dozen albums added to your library.

When Homes came out they couldn't play uploaded music but once it was enabled the only way to actually play it was to say "Okay Google, play [album] by [artist] from my library" Have you tried that?

I have a subscription so I can't test myself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

When Homes came out they couldn't play uploaded music but once it was enabled the only way to actually play it was to say "Okay Google, play [album] by [artist] from my library" Have you tried that?

I have a subscription so I can't test myself.

Okay, that worked. Cheers. Weird cause I'm pretty sure it worked before.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Google Fit is a complete mess. I keep getting points for riding trains around and it notifies me multiple times a day about whether I have/haven't/will/won't meet my heart/fit/run/jump/skip points/minutes and I really don't know what any of it means and it's all totally unusable anyway because it thinks trains keep me fit so even if I put good data into it from Strava there's just tons of noise covering it up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I actually really like the Samsung Health app that came pre-installed on my Note 9.

It tracks steps automatically, but it won't track distance (and thus, trains) unless you specifically activate the "Walk"/"Run"/"Hike" activities.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Tunga posted:

New Google Fit is a complete mess. I keep getting points for riding trains around and it notifies me multiple times a day about whether I have/haven't/will/won't meet my heart/fit/run/jump/skip points/minutes and I really don't know what any of it means and it's all totally unusable anyway because it thinks trains keep me fit so even if I put good data into it from Strava there's just tons of noise covering it up.

I totally agree. What boggles my mind is that Google Maps can accurately characterize my travel, but Google Fit has no idea.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Annath posted:

I actually really like the Samsung Health app that came pre-installed on my Note 9.

It tracks steps automatically, but it won't track distance (and thus, trains) unless you specifically activate the "Walk"/"Run"/"Hike" activities.

I've been using it as a step tracker for a while, it's pretty good.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I walked 2 miles while I was jerking off this morning according to Fit with my Pebble. Hit my heart points at like 2am.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I managed almost 2000 steps this evening whilst cooking to jungle according to my Fitbit, maybe i should release a DVD

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

accipter posted:

I totally agree. What boggles my mind is that Google Maps can accurately characterize my travel, but Google Fit has no idea.

because google lol. outside of a few core products, their collective behavior is like an over-caffeinated middle schooler

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1035031819614339072?s=19

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

OhFunny posted:

Edit: I'm real dumb and confused the Phone app with the Messenger app.

Edit 2: Google's default Phone app is blindingly white with it's latest update. What's a good alternative to it?

Well both of them have dark mode coming soon and/or already, depending on The Rollout Algorithm

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

because google lol. outside of a few core products, their collective behavior is like an over-caffeinated middle schooler

See, this I don't get. Fit wasn't a perfect app, it had a couple of issues, and was far from complete as it didn't have several functions that most people want in a health app. But it worked. What it did, it did well and within any fuss. Now with this "upgrade" they've broken everything. Is it so difficult to test something before pushing out an update?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

See, it's frustrating because they made some changes that I, personally, like. I'm mostly concerned about cardio health, so the heart points and the addition of the blood pressure log are welcome. It just doesn't work well and it screws up a lot of the general "work out" functions.

It feels like the focus of the app changed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mikl posted:

See, this I don't get. Fit wasn't a perfect app, it had a couple of issues, and was far from complete as it didn't have several functions that most people want in a health app. But it worked. What it did, it did well and within any fuss. Now with this "upgrade" they've broken everything. Is it so difficult to test something before pushing out an update?

move fast break things

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
In the new Google messenger design, can I still set colors for my conversations or has that feature been removed?

Edit: they took it out so that all incoming texts are white, didn't they. I hate this; it helped keep track of who you were responding to when you gave your friends and family unique colors.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 31, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Pulse still works great and lets you change colors.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the little avatar bubble still has color if you haven't set a picture for that contact. it scrambled the colors and changed to a totally different color palette than the old versions of messenger/phone/contacts though :thumbsup:

on the plus side Messenger now lets you pick between light and dark mode :cool:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

In the new Google messenger design, can I still set colors for my conversations or has that feature been removed?

Edit: they took it out so that all incoming texts are white, didn't they. I hate this; it helped keep track of who you were responding to when you gave your friends and family unique colors.

Finally got the update. Yeah, this sucks. The colors were great!

"Weird" that Google would add more colors to Android 9 Pie, but remove them from Messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Finally got the update. Yeah, this sucks. The colors were great!

"Weird" that Google would add more colors to Android 9 Pie, but remove them from Messages.

I'd say "Material 2" (not the official name but one that is being used to describe this current scheme) is fairly consistent across apps and the OS in terms of color placement. They could be more consistent in terms of pastels vs. jewel tones in the settings and the fonts need a lot of cleanup (Roboto vs. Product Sans, centered vs. left-aligned) but on the whole the elimination of a hero color in favor of accent colors only has been consistently applied across the OS and apps.

What's unclear is whether app developers are also expected to follow in this direction. Are apps still supposed to rely on hero colors to differentiate themselves? If Google's color is white and the use of Product Sans is restricted, then the user is always going to be jumping between apps with no UI consistency.

tl;dr: Material 2 is a mess, but wouldn't agree that the OS and Messages are following different schemes.