Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

They're knowingly fed propaganda from the inner circle and so their job is to brainwash the masses, young reporter wanted to uncover the grim truths but older reporter was too ingrained in the status quo. I think that's the extent of it, only it was probably more fleshed/drawn out in the manga. This episode you saw Flegel intimidating the old guy into telling the truth.

yea there's more of them in the manga than the two scenes they got in the anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's gonna be 24. We're heading to the ocean, baby.

gently caress me, that little scene where Kruger tells Grisha to save Mikasa and Armin would be a magnificent way to close the season. I'm so hoping they do that.

End it with the moment where eren talks about how if they cross the sea and kill everyone will there finally be peace and everyone just looking uncomfortable for like 5 minutes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mandatory lesbian posted:

End it with the moment where eren talks about how if they cross the sea and kill everyone will there finally be peace and everyone just looking uncomfortable for like 5 minutes

Are the Evangelion cicada's still doing work? I don't normally care for VA speculation, but they'd be great for that moment.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think the season started with Eren staring out at the ocean, though you couldn’t see it, so I think this might happen

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
It should end with a small flash-forward preview of Eren bursting out from underground and crushing a bunch of people.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
It should end with the one black guy flying a blimp. A true cliffhanger

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You are all ignoring the reality that the season is going to end with the Japanese lady coming off a ship and being all Mikasa! Our long lost princess!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'll be a dance party

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm still betting on the St. Elsewhere ending, to be honest.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I saw someone in the anime thread expressing disappointment about the mind erasing powers and worrying it'll be a lazy way to cover up plotholes.

I can't remember, is it ever actually used in that way? I can't remember anything like that actually happening. I'm not going to go in there and tell them not to worry about that, it just got me thinking back about it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah I don't think memory erasing is ever really brought up beyond how the king got away with what he did. Which is less covering a plothole and more just giving an answer to a pretty important question.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

JahRoo posted:

So most of the translations I've read had the premier named "Darius Zackley" but CR is going with Dahlis Zachary which I guess is another way to read that but it looks so weird after reading the former for so long.

He makes that nobleman’s face smell ‘zachly like his butt.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I saw someone in the anime thread expressing disappointment about the mind erasing powers and worrying it'll be a lazy way to cover up plotholes.

I can't remember, is it ever actually used in that way? I can't remember anything like that actually happening. I'm not going to go in there and tell them not to worry about that, it just got me thinking back about it.

Not yet. Eren has this power and can't use it because he's not a Reiss/Fritz. Also, I can't see how it could ever cover a plot hole, given that a ton of characters are immune - including all Ackermanns.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Viridiant posted:

The plot hole it's covering is "why doesn't anyone remember what's outside the walls?" The very fundamental fact that "we're on an island" and "there are other people out there" are facts that couldn't really be covered up in any sensible way. Even if most people in the first generation was fanatical enough to promise keep the secret from their kids, surely someone would have a change of heart at some point, or have a husband or wife who wasn't quite as fanatical once their kids start asking questions. There'd be leaks and rumors, and within a generation everyone would have at least a vague awareness of this stuff.

And not just the political situation- people outside the walls more or less know what titans are and where they come from. None of that would be mysterious to the truly curious if there were rumors of the truth still around.

People, even in positions of authority, truly have no idea about their own world, and that could be considered a pretty big plot hole once you realize the true history and how much of this stuff isn't secret to the world in general. And it's all just kind of glossed over with magic. Pretty effectively and succinctly glossed over, but on some level it's clearly a justification for a more mysterious and dramatic story.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought it was pretty straightforward. The Coordinate can control and order Titans, who are all Eldians anyway so by extension the Coordinate can influence all Eldians to some extent.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It would be a plot hole only if the story wasn't written with that in mind - instead, as was mentioned earlier, this very important question of "how could the world have possibly achieved this state of affairs" is tackled as a fundamental plot element.

I can see the assessment that it's "lazy writing" coming from dissatisfaction with a supernatural explanation, but the answer is logically consistent with the supernatural elements of the story and given even more of a supporting framework as the story movies along. As Eej says, as more of the veil is pulled back it becomes pretty straightforward: we find out the Eldians are the Titans, an entire race connected to some supernatural power that transcends space and time, and so the absolute power to control the Titans called the Coordinate can also influence the Eldians.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Man the anime is loving fast-paced. There's 4 more chapters of this arc so probably 2 more episodes (1 for hardening/preperation, 1 for turkey titan/kenny-uri flashback) before Shiganshina retake begins.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Are we actually going to get some of timeskip Marley in this season? I don't remember the Shiganshina battle and the basement flashback being long enough to cover a full half (maybe a little more) of the season. Is there something I'm forgetting about?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I still think it'll end on the beach

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I honestly thought we'd see hosed Up Dad Titan two episodes ago because this part of the manga seemed to move faster than the anime is (while, of course, the anime moved way faster on the rebellion part) but with this past episode's action scene I don't mind it feeling slower.

Hey, am I the only one who envisioned the crystal basement as being pink? Seemed like outside of the actual walls themselves, any other hardening done by titans was pink-flavored. Blue is like.. right out in terms of what I expected.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Are we actually going to get some of timeskip Marley in this season? I don't remember the Shiganshina battle and the basement flashback being long enough to cover a full half (maybe a little more) of the season. Is there something I'm forgetting about?

The beach is the best cutoff point.

It’s the perfect moment, Eren , Mikasa and Armin reach their dream only to wonder if this moment is something that will last and how they can preserve it.

Makes no sense to ruin that by immediately jumping into the timeskip.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

DaveKap posted:

I honestly thought we'd see hosed Up Dad Titan two episodes ago because this part of the manga seemed to move faster than the anime is (while, of course, the anime moved way faster on the rebellion part) but with this past episode's action scene I don't mind it feeling slower.

Hey, am I the only one who envisioned the crystal basement as being pink? Seemed like outside of the actual walls themselves, any other hardening done by titans was pink-flavored. Blue is like.. right out in terms of what I expected.

I envisioned the titan crystal as a pale orange or something, similar to the how the color scheme changes once someone becomes a titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Annie's hardening was blue :confused:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Asuron posted:

The beach is the best cutoff point.

It’s the perfect moment, Eren , Mikasa and Armin reach their dream only to wonder if this moment is something that will last and how they can preserve it.

Makes no sense to ruin that by immediately jumping into the timeskip.
You say that, and yet the anime decided that the "There are actual titans inside the walls" reveal was best suited for a post-credits stinger shot in season 1. With none of the characters present for said reveal, to boot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
There was no new issue in august?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

You say that, and yet the anime decided that the "There are actual titans inside the walls" reveal was best suited for a post-credits stinger shot in season 1. With none of the characters present for said reveal, to boot.

"Marley exists" doesn't work as a reveal because it'd have already been established by Grisha's journal. There's no way to properly convey the timeskip as a stinger the way AoT has handled them, nor would it even have any impact since the beach scene is itself an epilogue of sorts set up after a 1 year timeskip.

What I think they should do as a post-credits scene is Kruger telling Grisha to start a family. That'd work perfectly.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/FadyChan4869xX/status/1036916652934397955

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hahahahahaha holy poo poo that owns

e: jean should've been replaced with ymir imo

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, Jean absolutely does not work as Bender. Other than that, that is a very nice homage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hasn't he done like half a dozen covers that reference poo poo that way? I love how goofy he gets with official art

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hasn't he done like half a dozen covers that reference poo poo that way? I love how goofy he gets with official art

Yeah he’s used those exact character designs before.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Edmund Lava posted:

Yeah he’s used those exact character designs before.

I have the feeling he really gets the Western stereotypes. He should make a comic with them in school, it would be hilarious.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Eren being at rock bottom of the pyramid is what really makes it funny.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ah so he is Target. Was wondering what he was as I couldn't find an English translation near the Japanese.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Chapter 109

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some of the images are corrupted/not loading.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

Some of the images are corrupted/not loading.

I was having that, too, but on a reload they all came in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It feels it ends a bit abruptly. So I don't think everything is there.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah that didn't feel like a chapter end to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

seems like sasha dying to them is gonna be a thing isn't it