Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
All I ask from Matt and crew's new show is a solid character creation tutorial. That's always the thing that seems to get new players hung up whenever I try to introduce them to the game. They always get it eventually, but a quick, slick reference video (or playlist) that's not some well-meaning but jargon-speaking veteran player's grainy webcam would be super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Does Critical Role season 1 episode 60 have a laugh track or am I insane?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

RC Cola posted:

Does Critical Role season 1 episode 60 have a laugh track or am I insane?

I think thats a live show.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sion posted:

I think thats a live show.

I hate it. I can't get through the podcast. It's so jarring

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

RC Cola posted:

I hate it. I can't get through the podcast. It's so jarring

It was more fun watching the video and also they had some issues with the sound the first go around. Also hate to break it to you, but there's 3 live episodes in Campaign 1. 60, 62 (they had two cons in rapid succession), and 109.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Real excited for the potential fun blink dog antics in the future. Those other pets are for sure living on borrowed time though. My money is on the owl leaving or being killed first, something about that weasel makes me think he'll make it longer.

I feel like they're going to have some buyers remorse now that they're at the coast, I'm expecting them to run into some items or experiences that would be very cool and potentially powerful and would have been in their price range, especially if they pooled their money, but might not be now that they spent a lot. Though it is a pretty safe bet they'll be making a lot of money while they're in the area, so maybe they can grab that stuff on the way out.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 24, 2018

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/ThirdAnguis/status/1032867284736503808

https://twitter.com/KaraOni1/status/1032879175168745472

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1032880307458863104

https://twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/1033074726061522945?s=19

That book has Baby Owlbears

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I have the baby bestiary and it's very, very cute.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Keru posted:

I love how much Tal enjoys being Caduceus.

It’s really incredible. I was fine with Percy and meh on Molly, but Caduceus is extremely my jam. Feels like the perfect D&D character for Taliesin, honestly.

Also, FUKKEN BLINK PUPPY

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

That whole manticore fight was amazing and I would not change a thing. Nott making it laugh then beating it to death as it laughed was just hilarious and horrifying

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Don't have the source, sorry. Someone from Twitter is all I remember.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Man Scanlan's solo distraction run in the Briarwoods arc (Triceratops! Stinking Cloud! Potion of Fire Breath! Bigby's Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaand!") really enforces how powerful magic can be in this game. Does make me wonder what shenanigans Tiberius would have come up with had he stayed in the game. Thought of him the other night when we went to see the Rifftrax of Krull, since he had that makeshift Krull glaive made to telekinese old ladies with.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah it'd be great to see a Sorcerer run by someone who's not an abusive shithead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Enourmo posted:

Yeah it'd be great to see a Sorcerer run by someone who's not an abusive shithead.

Re-watching the early stuff with Orion is really uncomfortable, especially very recently. Unfortunate jokes aside, there's one episode where Travis looks like he wants to smack him for spending way too long for doing some in-character shopping. Maybe if I'd come to the show before hearing everything I'd think Tiberius the Addled Sorcerer was charming?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I dunno, I came into CR more or less blind, binged the whole first campaign in the gap before the second started. It was kinda funny the first time he wasted time to achieve nothing, but by the end he was taking up like hour long chunks with his bullshit and it was becoming tedious. Granted there'd been stuff like that in TAZ which I got into first, but those were like 5-10 minute tangents at worst.

That plus never engaging with other character moments (see: loving off to buy a bag of holding while everyone else was confronting Percy about the Briarwoods the first time) and just generally wanting Tiberius' social bumblefuckery to be front and center of every group social interaction was just a pain in the rear end, even knowing nothing about Orion at the time.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe if I'd come to the show before hearing everything I'd think Tiberius the Addled Sorcerer was charming?
Probably not? I mean, if Tiberius was played by someone who wasn't "that guy" he could have been a fun character.
But I had no idea about there being any drama before I started watching Critical Role recently after a work buddy recommended it and the dynamic between Orion and the rest of the group felt off starting at episode 1. Not constantly, but I'm at episode 9 and there have been several points where someone was doing a thing and Orion butted in for no apparent reason other then to draw attention and you could see people get annoyed. And it's really obvious Orion fudges his dice rolls and stuff like sorcery points when he thinks he can get away with it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 26, 2018

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm definitely having the same sort of journey with Orion's behavior- I'm only at like episode 20 of Campaign 1 so far, and during the first few episodes, I would've said that he was mostly charming in that sort of "comedic self-important rear end in a top hat" way. But with every episode, that layer of self-awareness gets stripped away just a bit more.

I think the most annoying habit that has grown to irk me (aside from him constantly doing that little wispy-wind spell noise every time he casts something, which just personally annoys me) is the fact that he would almost never actually participate or discuss what he was going to do with the rest of the table. He would just come up with his own little master plan and keep everyone else in the dark so that he could impress them by revealing it in the moment. Made that much worse by him explaining in gratuitous detail what he'd want to do as if it would be the final coup de grace... only to have Matt correct him about something and cancel out the whole thing.

He wasn't the only one with that problem so early on, since most of them were understandably testing the limits to see what was possible and trying to be creative with their actions, but he would just do it constantly. And a few times, it almost seemed like he wasn't even paying attention to what was happening during anyone else's turn.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I wanted to give the first episodes a shot, even hearing how bad it got with that guy, but when the first thing he does when confronted with some kind of arcane spell fence line is to attempt to fireball it... I gave up.

The other players panicked and tried to think of reasons to rush over and stop him from blowing poo poo up in like the first few hours of getting into town. I said “oh, he’s that kind of player.” And skipped to episode 28.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah I read the complaints expressed above and watched the one clip where Travis gets extremely mad at the never-ending shopping trip and decided to skip to where he's gone.

It's definitely not much of a problem in terms of picking up the first season, the Briarwoods arc is a good starting point and "Party comes to one of the PC's home towns to deal with the bad guys running it" is a pretty easy scenario to learn who's who.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
On the Lorenzo ambush fight:

I felt that that was a bit of a misstep by Matt. Party members got kidnapped and you feed them information that the prisoners are tortured and broken making the players think that they are on a pretty hard deadline to resolve the situation. The players are going to feel forced to act in that situation. Add on to that i think they had Keg feed them information on what they would be up against which turned out to be wrong so the fight they were going in to turned out to be even more one sided than they were expecting. All in all i think it was pretty unfair on the players.

Also, Ashly Burch's thing where she decided to not do anything for most of the fight annoyed me. Not contributing to a fight because of a character quirk is kind of annoying at the best of times and it's hard to do well, but doing it with no warning during an extremely difficult fight when you're a guest at the table just seems really rude.

It was kind of funny that Molly killed himself though. A fitting end to Taliesin's experience with blood hunter.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I like to think that Taliesin was sick of playing Molly overall. He had been rolling like poo poo for the whole campaign up until the last couple of episodes and I feel like maybe he wanted to change things up.

Somewhat related, I'm still catching up and am just now watching the scene where Caduceus is introduced and Sam randomly deciding to shoot Beau with his crossbow, rolling a crit and having her successfully catch it midair only to be hit by the second bolt that pops out just tickled the poo poo out of me.

Edit: Also, this is definitely not allowed:
https://twitter.com/VoiceOfOBrien/status/1032522883564617729

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 26, 2018

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Caleb is the protagonist of the story. He'll have to play that character next campaign.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

CJ posted:

Caleb is the protagonist of the story. He'll have to play that character next campaign.

Caleb will probably be the villain of the next arc as some kind of time manipulating lich.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Everyone is a potential villain.

With the possible exception of Yasha.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Now that Molly's dead and Yasha's gone for the next several months, Caleb's the most boring member of the party for the forseeable future and while I don't necessarily wish him dead, I'd be okay with it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Generic American posted:

I'm definitely having the same sort of journey with Orion's behavior- I'm only at like episode 20 of Campaign 1 so far, and during the first few episodes, I would've said that he was mostly charming in that sort of "comedic self-important rear end in a top hat" way. But with every episode, that layer of self-awareness gets stripped away just a bit more.

Let me know when you get to the moment Orion misunderstands how his ring of spell storing works (purposefully from how often he should be using it and have had it explained to him) and Matt cracks the friendly and positive demeanour and is genuinely exasperated at dealing with his poo poo.

CJ posted:

On the Lorenzo ambush fight:

I felt that that was a bit of a misstep by Matt. Party members got kidnapped and you feed them information that the prisoners are tortured and broken making the players think that they are on a pretty hard deadline to resolve the situation. The players are going to feel forced to act in that situation. Add on to that i think they had Keg feed them information on what they would be up against which turned out to be wrong so the fight they were going in to turned out to be even more one sided than they were expecting. All in all i think it was pretty unfair on the players.

Also, Ashly Burch's thing where she decided to not do anything for most of the fight annoyed me. Not contributing to a fight because of a character quirk is kind of annoying at the best of times and it's hard to do well, but doing it with no warning during an extremely difficult fight when you're a guest at the table just seems really rude.

It was kind of funny that Molly killed himself though. A fitting end to Taliesin's experience with blood hunter.

I finally got up to this and its really 100% accurate to that character that Molly just dies in some minor event from self harm. Brings a whole a new meaning to kill u r self.

Also with regards to Ashly Burch thing, I liked her but yeah this is definitely frustrating. Its the really annoying aspect of D&D where you, in a game about fighting, you really need to be a character who is willing to fight. B. A. Baracus might complain and resist getting on the helicopter but at the end of the day hes going to get on that helicopter. D&D is not a game where you can really play as a non-combatant.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 27, 2018

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Soylentbits posted:

Caleb will probably be the villain of the next arc as some kind of time manipulating lich.

Yeah if anyone's the "Protagonist" of this story its Fjord or maybe Beau, Caleb's the overpowered weird loner who has to be persuaded to think of the Nein as his friends. There's one of those in every ensemble action series.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm totally down for some "you have to fight against a party member's character from the future" shenanigans. Make it an alternate or potential future too and you don't have to worry about messing up a character's future fate, you just give them one hell of a mind screw to act out.

I'll settle for any kind of time-traveling character showing up from the future or distant past as a tangential result of Caleb's interest in time, or even better as a direct result. For ultimate fanservice he summons Vax from the past and then has to send him back after some wacky deed is accomplished, but that won't happen and really no crazy time stuff is gonna happen at all unless Caleb hits super high levels of wizard and starts really dedicating himself to it, and even then it's pretty clear he's seeking to undo what went down with his parents which is paradoxy as hell and doomed to fail.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NowonSA posted:

I'm totally down for some "you have to fight against a party member's character from the future" shenanigans. Make it an alternate or potential future too and you don't have to worry about messing up a character's future fate, you just give them one hell of a mind screw to act out.

I'll settle for any kind of time-traveling character showing up from the future or distant past as a tangential result of Caleb's interest in time, or even better as a direct result. For ultimate fanservice he summons Vax from the past and then has to send him back after some wacky deed is accomplished, but that won't happen and really no crazy time stuff is gonna happen at all unless Caleb hits super high levels of wizard and starts really dedicating himself to it, and even then it's pretty clear he's seeking to undo what went down with his parents which is paradoxy as hell and doomed to fail.

I believe the Beacon has already been shown to be altering fate, so there's a canon explanation if someone fights an evil future them: there's multiple realities and destinies whenever a decision is made. After defeating an evil future party member, they can make the changes that cause their fate to change and wipe that version from existence.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

kingcom posted:

Let me know when you get to the moment Orion misunderstands how his ring of spell storing works (purposefully from how often he should be using it and have had it explained to him) and Matt cracks the friendly and positive demeanour and is genuinely exasperated at dealing with his poo poo.

Oh man, I just hit that and it was honestly hard to get through. Thank every god in existence that I wasn't watching the video, because the audio by itself was so uncomfortable. Definitely could sense the feeling that he was playing dumb on purpose too, with how he burned through pretty much all of his spells and kept insisting on a long rest while they were actively in pursuit of their target. But then he tried to cheese some extra casts out of that "misunderstanding"; I guess he just couldn't stand the thought of having to play second fiddle in a fight.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
It's kind of amazing that someone managed to Grognard themselves out of easy money and a steady gig like CR

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Generic American posted:

Oh man, I just hit that and it was honestly hard to get through. Thank every god in existence that I wasn't watching the video, because the audio by itself was so uncomfortable. Definitely could sense the feeling that he was playing dumb on purpose too, with how he burned through pretty much all of his spells and kept insisting on a long rest while they were actively in pursuit of their target. But then he tried to cheese some extra casts out of that "misunderstanding"; I guess he just couldn't stand the thought of having to play second fiddle in a fight.

S1 E21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaISHs2s7Q

You need to see this one.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Keru posted:

I love how much Tal enjoys being Caduceus.

That's good, that's...nice.

The PC and the player are great examples of how to insert a new character into an existing party without it being overbearing or an ill fit. His interaction with (the) Pumat Sol(s) was hilarious yet still low-key.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Sion posted:

It's kind of amazing that someone managed to Grognard themselves out of easy money and a steady gig like CR

Orion got really popular with the early fan base and I think a lot of that went to his head. You can see a shift as it started to catch on and by the mid 20s episodes he is super self involved.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there a highlight/cringe reel of C1 episodes 1-27? I kinda want to see some of these Tiberius moments but not have them happen unexpectedly over 108 hours.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Generic American posted:

Matt does a literal double facepalm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cheston posted:

Is there a highlight/cringe reel of C1 episodes 1-27? I kinda want to see some of these Tiberius moments but not have them happen unexpectedly over 108 hours.

I think the only major highlights are Matt finally losing his cool, Orion saying "Tiberius has a half-chub" about Vex in a way that really grosses out Travis, and his hour-long useless shopping trip to buy like a billion mirrors for an Archimedes Death Ray where Travis starts openly wanting to kill him. Otherwise it's just Orion being really awkward and trying to force Tiberius into the center stage or being deceptive about his rolls and stats; the others have hinted since his departure that he was repeatedly caught fudging rolls and toward the end of his run you can see everyone pointedly staring at his dice whenever he rolls.

Combined with other incidents like him apparently stealing GoFundMe money and making a sockpuppet Twitter to yell about his ex-friends, Orion in general seems like an awful person.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
My favorite Orion escapade was the song playlist he released shortly after his departure. Ostensibly it was supposed to be a collection of songs that represent Tiberius like other players' playlists, instead it was full of songs that were passive aggressive jabs at the rest of the players and the fandom.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

My favorite Orion escapade was the song playlist he released shortly after his departure. Ostensibly it was supposed to be a collection of songs that represent Tiberius like other players' playlists, instead it was full of songs that were passive aggressive jabs at the rest of the players and the fandom.

Here's the playlist. You do need a Spotify account to open it. Some samples:

* Eminem - "My Name Is"
* Eminem - "Just Don't Give A gently caress"
* Primus - "Hear Come The Bastards"
* The Streets - "Has It Come To This?"
* Ministry - "Jesus Built My Hotrod"
* Nine Inch Nails - "Wish"
* KMFDM - "Light"
* Oingo Boingo - "Burn Me Up"
* Michael Jackson - "Pretty Young Thing"
* Bjork - "Unravel"
* Radiohead - "Creep"
* The Mars Volta - "Televators"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Cheston posted:

Ep 27 is probably the closest you'll get. It's got the half chub line, the mirror shopping debacle and my personal favorite - Tiberius writing a letter to his father requesting ~~THE DRACONIAN KNIGHTS~~ be prepared in case the party has any trouble. They all kinda roll their eyes at this and Matt has the father write a letter back immediately essentially saying "No, gently caress you".