Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even with the teddy bear massacre there's some fun slapstick involving the speeder bikes. And the stop motion walkers are cool. Really, the Ewok hate seems to have developed later and while I understand disliking it, it hardly breaks the film.

Jar-Jar acted like a massive heat sink to suddenly make the Ewoks not seem so bad in comparison. Also the Galactic Empire was run by utter morons from the janitor at the farthest backwater two-man guard station right up to Emperor Palpatine, so I can totally buy them getting worked over by Ewoks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CharlestheHammer posted:

One day Disney will make a movie as good as parts of ROTJ.

Probably not. Despite appearing otherwise on the surface, Star Wars doesn't really have a lot of story options. Any plot has to relate to the important parts of the franchise, so the Rebellion, the Empire or the Force. And since RotJ actually but a lid on all the three of these, I doubt we ever anything Star Wars related that is more than a rehash.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even with the teddy bear massacre there's some fun slapstick involving the speeder bikes. And the stop motion walkers are cool. Really, the Ewok hate seems to have developed later and while I understand disliking it, it hardly breaks the film.

While the Bears thing gets a lot of flack because it’s an easy joke, I think it’s the fact Han and Leia spend a rather large amount of it standing in front a door is what most people actively dislike

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CharlestheHammer posted:

While the Bears thing gets a lot of flack because it’s an easy joke, I think it’s the fact Han and Leia spend a rather large amount of it standing in front a door is what most people actively dislike

True enough, they don't get much to do, while Chewie gets to play Tarzan. Also, the rebel commandos pretty much vanish for the whole fight, which I thought was strange. It's certainly not a bad scene, but it could have been done better.

Then again, most of the scenes on Endor are just wandering around the California redwoods for hours at a time and then occasionally switching to action sequences. Endor is rather lazily shot compared to the Tatooine and space scenes.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Puppy Time posted:

I was thinking more the version seen in stuff like God's Not Dead, where atheists don't actually reject the premise of a deity in the first place, they're just pretending not to believe because they're mad at God for some immature reason and just need a terrible thing to happen to them so they change their minds and convert.

It's a common Evangelical thing that betrays a complete lack of interest in real atheists or why they do what they do.

Well, evangelical fiction is really for atheists or people questioning their faith, it's a shot in the arm for the faith of people who are already true believers. Therefore, atheists only ever fall into two camps that can be easily resolved in the third act to get them to believe again: (1) Actually believing in God, but denying it because of some past tragedy or (2) Somehow managing to have never actually heard of Jesus in the United States, a country that celebrates Christmas for approximately 2 straight months (see: Chick Tracts).

Bonus points are awarded for a deathbed conversion.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

I'm thinking more that Western attempts at anime feel a lot like a cargo cult approach to it, where everything is thrown together into a weird stew with no regard for genre applicability, for example. It'd be like if our superhero movies also featured slapstick comedy scenes, laser dogfights in outer space, and Disney style animal sidekicks, whether or not any of that was appropriate for the story. Gives off the same kind of vibe as when like Christian movies are trying to depict atheists but never bothered to pay attention to actual atheists.
I think the problem may be that I haven't seen enough bad western anime but I have seen a lot of bad tropey Japanese anime, which tend to fail at basic storytelling due to sticking to dumb animeisms. If western anime outside of like the three good ones everyone has seen (Avatar, Steven Universe, and I guess Teen Titans*) fails similarly I have to concede ignorance.

*Teen Titans wasn't that great.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Acute Grill posted:

A country that celebrates Christmas for approximately 2 like 5 straight months.

FTFY

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Leal posted:

I have a bunch of things I've thought of about why creepypasta is bad. It mostly boils down to the stories being any combination of the following 3 things:

1: Mary Sue self insert fanfiction.

2: Trying to create folklore akin to the very things Jenny talks about in this video (Bloody Mary, Boogeyman)

3: An attempt to be edgy and shock the reader. Wanton gore and murder, violence and sexual abuse to minors, and rape.

Horror writing needs a delicate hand to build dread and fear, and subtlety doesn't come easy to most edgy teen writers who'd rather just add more details about how much blood was coming from Sonic's eyes. Like fanfic, you hope the ones who really are into the craft and not the "imma make my self-insert a meme!" factor go on to better things over time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

stillvisions posted:

Horror writing needs a delicate hand to build dread and fear, and subtlety doesn't come easy to most edgy teen writers who'd rather just add more details about how much blood was coming from Sonic's eyes. Like fanfic, you hope the ones who really are into the craft and not the "imma make my self-insert a meme!" factor go on to better things over time.

Maybe I'm alone on this notion, but the concept of video game creepypastas is something that I think can work if executed properly. Ghosts and cursed games veer into silliness, but a game glitching out or exhibiting undocumented or strange behavior can be really off-putting and discomforting.

I found a blog post (done by a goon, actually) where they made up a story about discovering a quest in Fallout 2 called 'The Auger', where after exploring the area, the game starts acting erratically. It works because it presents it in a way where it's just documenting what happens, rather than trying to make it some paranormal encounter.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think the problem may be that I haven't seen enough bad western anime but I have seen a lot of bad tropey Japanese anime, which tend to fail at basic storytelling due to sticking to dumb animeisms. If western anime outside of like the three good ones everyone has seen (Avatar, Steven Universe, and I guess Teen Titans*) fails similarly I have to concede ignorance.

*Teen Titans wasn't that great.

My complaint isn't "is tropey," it's "misuses tropes in ways that make it clear they're not that familiar with the source." Teen Titans kind of had some of it going on, but you'll mostly find it in the lesser stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

My complaint isn't "is tropey," it's "misuses tropes in ways that make it clear they're not that familiar with the source." Teen Titans kind of had some of it going on, but you'll mostly find it in the lesser stuff.

The Teen Titans cartoon I think was around the same time the manga boom in the US hit, so I think a lot of companies (well, comic companies, anyway) were trying to capitalize on it. Remember there were all those "manga" style adaptations of Marvel properties like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Punisher?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe I'm alone on this notion, but the concept of video game creepypastas is something that I think can work if executed properly. Ghosts and cursed games veer into silliness, but a game glitching out or exhibiting undocumented or strange behavior can be really off-putting and discomforting.

I found a blog post (done by a goon, actually) where they made up a story about discovering a quest in Fallout 2 called 'The Auger', where after exploring the area, the game starts acting erratically. It works because it presents it in a way where it's just documenting what happens, rather than trying to make it some paranormal encounter.

Pale Luna is one of the best game creepypastas imo, just because it’s short and relatively understated.

The Auger owns, and the Petscop series is neat even if there’s still a chance of it entirely disappearing up its own rear end.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Okay I was kind of assuming that you meant the thing where they actively ruin their own story seemingly solely to fulfill genre convention, because their only media exposure was other anime/nerd media.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nine-gear crow posted:

Jar-Jar acted like a massive heat sink to suddenly make the Ewoks not seem so bad in comparison. Also the Galactic Empire was run by utter morons from the janitor at the farthest backwater two-man guard station right up to Emperor Palpatine, so I can totally buy them getting worked over by Ewoks.
Actually I think you will find that they were not incompetent - all of the AT-STs were specifically outfitted with a two-foot entrance porthole in the caboose by their designer in the hope that one day it would pay off in the Rebellion's favour if they ever needed assistance from one of the many cute small creatures featured in the toyline.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nick Nocturne went up and owned up to his fuckup. And more importantly he said it was his fault for ruining his friendship with Nyx and told his fans to not go after her. Yay he avoided the nonapology. Now for me to see if he can avoid going full chud.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 27, 2018

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Max Wilco posted:

The Teen Titans cartoon I think was around the same time the manga boom in the US hit, so I think a lot of companies (well, comic companies, anyway) were trying to capitalize on it. Remember there were all those "manga" style adaptations of Marvel properties like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Punisher?

Don't forget the Mass Effect anime! Actually yes, please forget it - for your own sake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheMaestroso posted:

Don't forget the Mass Effect anime! Actually yes, please forget it - for your own sake.

What about the Dante's Inferno anime or the Dead Space anime?

These are things that exist because EA. They also made a dragon age one that managed to be even worse and had the animation quality of a motion comic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about the Dante's Inferno anime or the Dead Space anime?

These are things that exist because EA. They also made a dragon age one that managed to be even worse and had the animation quality of a motion comic.

I thought the Dead Space one was supposed to be decent?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

My favorite manga version of a western comic was definetly the X-men manga put out by Tokyopop. It was a shoujo romance manga starring Kitty Pride and the Hellfire Club was basically the Ouran host club.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Thundersword238 posted:

My favorite manga version of a western comic was definetly the X-men manga put out by Tokyopop. It was a shoujo romance manga starring Kitty Pride and the Hellfire Club was basically the Ouran host club.

i cant believe this one post completely redeemed this thread

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thundersword238 posted:

This sounds truer to Claremont's X-Men than most modern X-Men comics.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought the Dead Space one was supposed to be decent?

I wouldn’t call it good or anything but it is at least suitable gorey.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yay, Jenny Nicholson digs into obscure internetia for our viewing amusement again! :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmy4FMwug0Q

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

McGriel sounds like such a nice guy. I hope there's a whole genre of that stuff with like a burning skeleton who reminds you to practice self care or a glowing pyramid that appears at night to remind you that you'll find the right person when you're ready.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
re: western anime
you all missed Dreamworks Voltron, and I highly recommend it even though it's rough in parts. latest season is really worth it. It's very silly when it's doing comedy but the serious parts are unlike any other Western cartoon, the protagonists become a very thoughtful and professional military team.

Annointed posted:

Nick Nocturne went up and owned up to his fuckup. And more importantly he said it was his fault for ruining his friendship with Nyx and told his fans to not go after her. Yay he avoided the nonapology. Now for me to see if he can avoid going full chud.

nn failing was posted in the thread, so I want to put his current apology on record

https://twitter.com/NM_NickNocturne/status/1033988519436406784

https://twitter.com/NM_NickNocturne/status/1033989272272035840

https://twitter.com/NM_NickNocturne/status/1033994757087944704

https://twitter.com/NM_NickNocturne/status/1034002256952217601

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yay, Jenny Nicholson digs into obscure internetia for our viewing amusement again! :neckbeard:

awwww poo poo I remember so many of these, like the midnight game or the keepers and all that. I kind of miss when I was dumb enough to find weird things people wrote on the internet wondrous and creepy instead of just feeling nothing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

in my opinon the biggest problem with horror is when it goes overboard with explanations. i honestly blame theorists video types partialy for this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Patrick Willems talks about plot holes and internet culture, with a couple digs at our favorite idiot film pedantry channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HivyjAKlc

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the dive into "how did <thing> become <thing>?" is my favorite kind of dive

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

GrandpaPants posted:

Patrick Willems talks about plot holes and internet culture, with a couple digs at our favorite idiot film pedantry channel:

Perfection! Utter perfection!

I would have put the blame on the early days of internet criticism, like Nostalgia Critic and all that, for the rise of that cheap kind of nerd criticism.

The worst part of this plot hole mentality is that some filmmakers have caved towards it. As Lindsay Ellis pointed out in her Beauty and the Beast vid, that movie is the filmmakers trying to explain/bandage over the EPIC PLOT HOLES the original Disney classic had, and it's wretched for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GrandpaPants posted:

good poo poo.

DoubleCakes posted:

Perfection! Utter perfection!

I would have put the blame on the early days of internet criticism, like Nostalgia Critic and all that, for the rise of that cheap kind of nerd criticism.

The worst part of this plot hole mentality is that some filmmakers have caved towards it. As Lindsay Ellis pointed out in her Beauty and the Beast vid, that movie is the filmmakers trying to explain/bandage over the EPIC PLOT HOLES the original Disney classic had, and it's wretched for it.

yeah, everyone wants to feel smart about some dumb film poo poo and then they pedantically gurgle about it. sometimes leaving stuff unexplained or for you to put together is better.

it leads into my dislike of lore/theory channels. i don't mind some, there are some good ones. but most of them just regurgitate the same 5 games/movies and its always the same theories or some poo poo. and then the creators bend over backwards to validate them. its why i liked TLJ. it didnt do that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Baldur's Gate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrl1lr_hLU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

respect to the Extra Credits shout out, I like this guy

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

respect to the Extra Credits shout out, I like this guy

what's to respect about extra credits these days

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

McGriel is such a breath of fresh air, and he’s just a guy in a nice suit who wants to play trivia games and flashes nasty images into the minds of rude people.

business hammocks posted:

a burning skeleton who reminds you to practice self care
Complete this magic ritual to travel to the cursed realm known as...da share z0ne.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://sfdebris.com/videos/anime/mobilesuitgundam3.php

Chuck finishes his look at the Mobile Suit Gundam film trilogy. His conclusion is pretty much the same as I have, that the films are at best a primer for the franchise, but not the best way to start watching Gundam or 0079 in particular. I just hope he hasn't been put off from the rest of the franchise due to his struggle getting through these films.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Theryn Meyer is back talking about why she left YouTube. She's on a new channel because she couldn't deal with the folks already subscribed to her after the last vid she put out. Much less political and much more funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4u-Pua2jPg

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, no argument it can't be done well, I think fault lies more with the messenger than the medium or the setting. I've been watching petscop and hoping it keeps the slow creepy burn, and there's no reasons games can't join the stories of haunted buildings, cursed artifacts, songs of death etc. I mean hell, the concept has been around since Polybius at least (that was early 2000s?), I think the trouble arises when people keep trying to top the last one, and the Monty Python level of sillyness when people apparently manage to write down their being murdered.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Wow, good on Night Mind for apparently having a spine about things. Those posts look like he's actually trying to address the problem, instead of making it go away.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So I'm going to be that rear end in a top hat that raises objections to a couple of the arguments, even though I agree with core message of the video.

His first example about with 'How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham in Dark Knight Rises' I think is a bad example. I get that we don't need to literally see Bruce Wayne board a plane and fly back to the US and disembark, but it's a question of how he was able to secure transport out if he didn't have money, proof of identification, etc. You can hand-wave that away as not being crucial to the film, and I agree, but it's not very satisfying.

I agree with the crux of his video, but I think there is a difference between needless nitpicking about error and inconsistencies, and how enough errors can build up and weight something down. There's an article series by Shamus Young critiquing the Thieves' Guild questline in Skyrim, and also refers to an previous write-up he did on plot holes and story collapse (some of it based on critiques done by Film Crit Hulk)

I've also heard it said that John Carpenter's 'The Thing' serves as an example of a horror movie where the characters behave rationally throughout (maybe not 100%, but I still haven't seen The Thing yet.)

Also, I don't know why, but with the digs at Cinema Sins in the video, and just some general dismissals of it here and there, I now have this feeling that eventually Jeremy is eventually going to snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm going to be that rear end in a top hat that raises objections to a couple of the arguments, even though I agree with core message of the video.

His first example about with 'How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham in Dark Knight Rises' I think is a bad example. I get that we don't need to literally see Bruce Wayne board a plane and fly back to the US and disembark, but it's a question of how he was able to secure transport out if he didn't have money, proof of identification, etc. You can hand-wave that away as not being crucial to the film, and I agree, but it's not very satisfying.

Do you think that following the process of Wayne securing transportation is going to improve the film at all?

Like, back in the day, that sort of stuff was just treated as fanwank fodder, so nitpicky dweebs on discussion fora could have fun coming up with scenarios of varying levels of believability to solve the perceived problems. The rest of the world doesn't care, because the solution not only doesn't matter, but would probably gently caress up the pace of the movie.

But nope, now we have to treat every bit of unexplained minutiae like some sort of story-ruining gotcha, because apparently the point isn't character arcs or cohesion or catharsis, it's making a plot that's completely bulletproof against every single pedantic nerd who's only interested in surface details.