Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
what was the trivia question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
For a few years in the 2010s, Burger King's fish sandwich had a name referencing which US state?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
User:DragonflySixtyseven/Allegories
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
< User:DragonflySixtyseven

Allegory on blocking [edit]

(originally posted here, by me, on 5 December 2011)

(...) one point which many individuals do not factor into consideration is that Wikipedia is not just a collaborative encyclopedia, it is a collaborative encyclopedia. This may seem like a truism, but it is not; without the collaboration, the multiple otherwise-disconnected individuals working together towards a common goal, there is no encyclopedia.

One day, <dispute participant>, I will die. One day, <other participant> will die. One day, you will die. One day, <third participant> will die. One day, the last person who had any awareness of this dispute will die, and the last person to have any awareness of that person will one day die too. The disputes are nothing. They are grit and clashing in the gears, horrible grinding noises and flashing sparks that draw attention but inexorably wear away at the teeth, until such time as the wheels to which those teeth belong are too damaged to continue participating in la grande engrenage. Sometimes an engineer must remove an individual gear from its place because it is causing too much conflict with other gears -- perhaps it is turning in the wrong direction, or perhaps it has insufficient lubrication to allow proper meshing, or perhaps it has already broken and is spitting off splinters of metal in all directions and damaging other gears... the allegory is deeply flawed, as are all allegories, but I presume my overall point is understandable.

Allegory on sockpuppets and deletion [edit]

(originally posted here, by me, on 18 February 2012, as a direct response to a statement made by user:Collect.

First, Collect said: "2012 Aesop's Fable:

A Fox of horrid moral fibre was a very good artist - but because of his character was determined to be properly and totally shunned by all the other animals of the forest. Still, he continued to secretly paint, and his portraits of Owl and Robin were so good, although signed with the name "Gnarph", that the Museum of the Forest placed the works in the Grand Gallery. One day, though, the Mouse found out that the "Gnarph" works were actually painted by Fox, and so Mouse went to the Grand Gallery, removed the paintings and had a wonderful bonfire.

The question remaining is (this is 2012, so there is no "moral"):

Is the forest better off by maintaining the proper shunning and destroying the paintings, or is it better off by keeping the art in the museum?"

and then I said:)

Ooh, a fable! Let me try!

An artistic Fox had such horrid moral fibre that he killed not just to feed himself, but to take pleasure in the suffering and death of others. He poisoned, he set fires, he planted explosives, and he made beautiful paintings. Other artistic animals became reluctant to contribute to the Museum of the Forest, because they were afraid that Fox would destroy them if he became aware of their work alongside his. The Museum directors told Fox to stop his evil and bloodshed, but Fox just laughed: "I make such beautiful paintings," he said, "that I can get away with anything! You will never interfere with such a talented artist as me!"

The Museum directors disagreed, however, and made an edict forbidding Fox to ever again submit paintings to the Grand Gallery. Fox laughed as he skinned Squirrel's babies, and said he did not need the Museum anyway, and that he had been foolish to be an artist because only fools made art. The next week, however, Fox began bragging that the Museum had not really exiled him, and that he was still submitting new paintings for the Grand Gallery. "Their rules mean nothing, for I am Fox and I do what I want!", he sneered, and other animals fled the Museum in fear. The Museum directors examined the newest paintings, and discovered that they had accepted several paintings signed by "Xof".

The directors passed a new edict, forbidding "Xof" from ever again submitting paintings. Fox laughed from his murder house, and said that the Museum was a colossal waste of his time; the next week, he pointed out that there were several new paintings by "Phocs", and besides the Museum obviously valued his work because the works of "Xof" were still on display. "Clearly", he said, "I have not really been exiled! The Museum still loves me! They need me, the pathetic fools! I am the best artist ever, and I can do anything I want, with no consequences! I need never apologize for anything I have done, and I will keep doing it! The Museum will never truly punish me, because they fear that I will stop contributing my beautiful beautiful paintings!"

As word of Fox's reign of terror spread, fewer and fewer other artists dared submit their paintings; some gave up on art entirely. The directors passed a new edict, forbidding "Phocs" from ever again submitting paintings. Fox laughed, and said that he hoped the Museum and all its art would be destroyed by a mighty earthquake. The next week, the Museum directors found that a beautiful new painting by "Renard" was entitled "portrait of the artist as he poisons a village's only well".

The Museum directors passed a new edict exiling "Renard" from the Museum, but Fox just laughed. "Your edicts are a farce and you are all weak! No one should contribute to your museum because you cannot protect them from madmen and killers! I shall return, and return, and return, under a hundred hundred different names, and you shall never dare to act against me," Fox said as he garrotted Woodchuck, "because my art is so beautiful! To see my art is to love my art, and to love my art is to love my deeds!"

The Museum directors passed a new edict, stating that henceforth, all paintings done by Fox, under any name, would be removed from public display and locked in a storeroom where no visitors were allowed. Fox was horrified. "Are you all mad?!?", he shrieked as the paintings were moved into the storeroom. "You are destroying my works of art! You are destroying my beautiful beautiful art! You cannot do this! People need to see my art! My art must be seen! You are destroying my art! You are slashing the canvas from the frames and burning it in a bonfire and relieving yourselves on the ashes! You fools! You hate art! You hate art, and you hate life! You are hateful and uncaring and you delight in causing pain! I shall never return to this cesspool of lunacy and evil, and no artists worthy of the name should ever contribute their work to this Museum of shame and horror!"

Fox spent the rest of his years alternately inflicting pain on others, belittling and denouncing the Museum to all who would listen, and painting dozens of exquisite cameo portraits. Periodically, he gained entrance to the Museum under false names, and added his portraits to the Grand Gallery. He would laugh and gloat about how much the Museum needed him when his works went undetected, and work himself into a frenzied rage of bloodlust and hatred whenever his works were moved into storage.

There is no moral to this story.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ravioli is a sandwich :wth:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It has been suggested that the supposed shrinkage is due to an adult's childhood memory of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand; this argument is perhaps moot, as it does not explain why the modern Wagon Wheel appears to be fatter than the original.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Soricidus posted:

It has been suggested that the supposed shrinkage is due to an adult's childhood memory of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand; this argument is perhaps moot, as it does not explain why the modern Wagon Wheel appears to be fatter than the original.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Soricidus posted:

tangent: this is def true when i visit places i lived when i was little. the park i used to live by for several years looks 5x smaller than i remember it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

tangent: this is def true when i visit places i lived when i was little. the park i used to live by for several years looks 5x smaller than i remember it

ok but what about the contemporaneous testimony of the neighborhood kids w/r/t the looseness and general size and weight of yo momma?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you tried

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

:shrug:
shoulda cut my losses when i couldn't make the incest angle work

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The appearance of the other band mates is also altered like most of the video (their noses are rather large). The other band members are also seen at the end of the video gathered in Thomas' room, and each takes their turn waving goodbye to the camera before Thomas does so as well at the end of the video. One of the reasons Rob Thomas picked Meiert Avis to direct is because his concept for the video was the closest thing to an acid trip out of every other idea.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol

quote:

Groucho was denied membership in an informal symphonietta of friends (including Harpo) organized by Ben Hecht, because he could play only the mandolin. When the group began its first rehearsal at Hecht's home, Groucho rushed in and demanded silence from the "lousy amateurs". The musicians discovered him conducting the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra in a performance of the overture to Tannhäuser in Hecht's living room. Groucho was allowed to join the symphonietta.[15]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
wrong thread buddy

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Melon balls are balls of melon made using a melon baller

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
melon is stored in the balls

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Popular software has many versions,such as Java.[11]

(it isn't so obvious in yospos font but i particularly like the random special unicode comma)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i went to vote at my old primary school and legit thought they'd rebuilt it because the hall seemed about the size of my living room compared to my memory of a place about the size of wembley arena

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Devonaut posted:

Melon balls are balls of melon made using a balla rear end spoon

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

melon is stored in the balls

it's something everyone can appreciate

ev!an
Aug 31, 2018
my personal favorite is still 2016 clown sightings

quote:

The 2016 clown sightings were reports of people disguised as armed evil clowns in incongruous settings, such as near forests and schools. The incidents were reported in the United States, Canada, and subsequently in other countries and territories from August 2016.[1][2][3][4][5] The sightings were first reported in South Carolina when a 9-year-old boy told his mother that two suspicious males dressed as clowns tried to lure him into the nearby woods.[6] By mid-October 2016, clown sightings and attacks had been reported in nearly all U.S. states, 9 out of 13 provinces and territories of Canada, and 18 other countries.

Prior to the spate of incidents in 2016, numerous sightings of people dressed as clowns in odd or incongruous settings have occurred throughout the world since 2013. The proliferation of videos and images of these precursor sightings spread through social media posts and viral sharing of the content, most notably from DM Pranks, a YouTube user from Perugia, Italy.[7]

While most of the 2016 incidents appeared to be wholly unsubstantiated or lacked evidence of criminal activity (with many incidents being deemed practical jokes), a few led to arrests. Some people were cited or arrested for making violent threats to schools, and some incidents involved robberies and assaults on children and adults.[8][9][10]

By mid-October 2016, in the wake of hundreds of "clown sightings" in the United States and Canada, the phenomenon had spread from North America to Europe, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and South America.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Soricidus posted:

Popular software has many versions,such as Java.[11]

(it isn't so obvious in yospos font but i particularly like the random special unicode comma)

looks like someone using a chinese input system wrote that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they were disguised as armed evil clowns

they were actually armed evil clowns

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The lyrics urge listeners to "boogie oogie oogie till you just can't boogie no more".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In the ending sequence, which is patterned after the Nativity, Lionel finally goes into labor. The camera rises to heaven where God announces to the viewers the successful delivery: "Oh my god... it's a girl!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

In the ending sequence, which is patterned after the Nativity, Lionel finally goes into labor. The camera rises to heaven where God announces to the viewers the successful delivery: "Oh my god... it's a girl!"

Jesúsa is Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KU8tnvk81s

LifeIsBetterOnFire
Jul 28, 2008

quote:

"Real robot" redirects here. For robots in reality, see Robot. For the UK published magazine named Real Robot in Japan, see Real Robots.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

A similar accent, known as Canadian dainty, was also known in Canada in the same era, although it resulted from different historical processes.[8]

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Soricidus posted:

Wagon Wheel

you watched the great British bake off didn’t you?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The cover is a pun - there are multiple taps (British English) or "faucets" (US English) in the picture, which is a play on the album's title.

the album, Force It, is by a loving british band

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Sham bam bamina! posted:

taps (British English) or "faucets" (US English)

as an American there's nothing i crave more than a tall cool glass of faucet water

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Meat Beat Agent posted:

as an American there's nothing i crave more than a tall cool glass of faucet water

when i, as a child, would ask for orange juice or kool-aid, i would often be told to "have a glass of water; we have a whole faucet full of it"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

water on draught

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hostess clubs have returned now with and interaction for a Kiss depending how highly hearted the hostess is.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The foreskin was reported stolen by a local priest in 1983.[6]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

prefect posted:

when i, as a child, would ask for orange juice or kool-aid, i would often be told to "have a glass of water; we have a whole faucet full of it"

times have changed gramps

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This section is rhythmically complex, with certain bars in the rare time signatures of 13
16 and 15
16, alternating with bars of 2
4.[6]

hmm... can't just copy and paste some things, i guess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why wouldn't that just be several measures of 7/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

time signatures are a black art to me. ive had them explained several times & i go "oh ok" but then they just fall out of my brain again