Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I grabbed the amazing Dredd bundle on Humble, but I haven't read any Dredd in like 15 years, and I'm confused about which storylines are where.

Someone advised me to start with #1 through #5 of the IDW anthologies, and I've just burned through them, but the final part of #5 is a cliffhanger in the arc where the dark judges are holding Mega-City 1 hostage, and I'm not sure where to read the rest of it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That link only works for you since it uses your key. In any case, from I recall, none of the remaining books will continue the story. It continues in the cleverly titled Judge Dredd Volume 6.

https://smile.amazon.com/Judge-Dred...3NZEMMNNGS0Q0YE

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh, allright. Figures they didn't necessarily include them all. Thanks! I'll fix the link once HB fixes my ticket, because right now I can't access them either :eng99:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Gonna hop on this since the other Dredd thread is closed.

Where do the Anderson, Psi Files fit in for the reading order of the Dredd Complete Case files? I saw somewhere say Psi Files 1 fits in after Complete Case 7, but I'm happy to trust a BSSer.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So almost 2 months later, I've powered through the first 14 Complete Case Files and 2 volumes of the Anderson stuff as well as a chunk of the IDW issues.

Is the Ennis stuff worth reading? I don't particularly care for the guy's other work, can I just blitz through to the few mega epics and keep going without missing anything? Any particularly good stories?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^burtle posted:

Gonna hop on this since the other Dredd thread is closed.

Where do the Anderson, Psi Files fit in for the reading order of the Dredd Complete Case files? I saw somewhere say Psi Files 1 fits in after Complete Case 7, but I'm happy to trust a BSSer.

Anywhere you like within reason, so long as you read Psi-Files 1 after The Apocalypse War. Although I would probably leave Psi-Files 2 and 3 until you reach 2112 in Case Files time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The original Dredd thredd's gone to archives, so I just wanted to say here what an unexpected pleasure the 'Served Cold' volume of the Mega Collection was. I hadn't really kept track of Al Ewing's stories, but there are some really good ones here - and Dredd's response to a villain who he first encountered 40-odd years earlier in Paris, who has him at gunpoint and says "I've been watching you for decades. What could you possibly do that would surprise me now?" is one of the best "no, gently caress you" comebacks the strip's ever done.

The downside with the Mega Collection is that short of someone doing a spreadsheet, the chronology is utterly hosed up...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

The original Dredd thredd's gone to archives, so I just wanted to say here what an unexpected pleasure the 'Served Cold' volume of the Mega Collection was. I hadn't really kept track of Al Ewing's stories, but there are some really good ones here - and Dredd's response to a villain who he first encountered 40-odd years earlier in Paris, who has him at gunpoint and says "I've been watching you for decades. What could you possibly do that would surprise me now?" is one of the best "no, gently caress you" comebacks the strip's ever done.

The downside with the Mega Collection is that short of someone doing a spreadsheet, the chronology is utterly hosed up...

It's worse than I imagined. I knew it was divided by sub-themes, but the stories aren't even in chronological order within the sub-themes.

Must try and find a copy of volume 68, though, so far as I know it's the only reprint of Helltrekkers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Because I apparently have little better to do, I've made a spreadsheet listing the Mega Collection stories in chronological order. So you start with 'Krong' in volume 86, and finish with 'From The Ashes' in volume 83.

Note that these are just the "mainline" stories - Dredd (both in 2000AD and Megazine), Anderson, Chopper, Judge Death, The Dead Man. It's not every single obscure side character's story in the entire Mega Collection because I didn't say that I have nothing better to do.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Bumping this thread because I'm starting this series. My gameplan is to follow the read order for the first 40 volumes with stuff like cursed earth uncensored jammed in (case files 2 etc etc) which ends up in about 2000 publishing year wise.

Then I guess go in prog order from 2000-current. And if that doesn't kill me, I guess try and track down the megazine's where case files 32 will leave off...and then I guess the 2 dc versions, the strange fleetway version, and then the myriad of idw stuff including the 7 2012 movie version stories...

Jesus christ.

I'll post my progress every now and then until I give up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zer0spunk posted:

Bumping this thread because I'm starting this series. My gameplan is to follow the read order for the first 40 volumes with stuff like cursed earth uncensored jammed in (case files 2 etc etc) which ends up in about 2000 publishing year wise.

Then I guess go in prog order from 2000-current. And if that doesn't kill me, I guess try and track down the megazine's where case files 32 will leave off...and then I guess the 2 dc versions, the strange fleetway version, and then the myriad of idw stuff including the 7 2012 movie version stories...

Jesus christ.

Here's my suggestion: don't do this

Seriously, reading it all in order will destroy you. I'm speaking from experience here, I'm working on reading all of the progs and the best decision I made was to abandon the "in order" part of my project. Find stories you want to read, or by important creators,and jump on there, and then jump back and rad other stuff and keep switching it up. From the beginning is a fools errand

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here's my suggestion: don't do this

Seriously, reading it all in order will destroy you. I'm speaking from experience here, I'm working on reading all of the progs and the best decision I made was to abandon the "in order" part of my project. Find stories you want to read, or by important creators,and jump on there, and then jump back and rad other stuff and keep switching it up. From the beginning is a fools errand

How far are you in terms of prog number?

I find this whole thing super fascinating. You have a story that starts in 2099 and then moves in realtime while the character also ages in realtime to the point where he's 75 "now". Not to mention it's a fairly controlled continuity unlike most characters of the medium so it's a pretty solid overall serialized story considering that just spans an entire actual 41 years..It's pretty insane if you think about it. Plus starting from the get-go really shows just how different people had 0 grasp on what the tone of the thing should be yet..is it a celebration of facist violence as a fantasy as satire? is it a black comedy about the consequences of violence and facism? is a serious piece that serves as a warning of absolutism? (lets try all of it at once!)

I'm also kinda excited to get to the point where current well-known folks start popping up on the creative side. I can only imagine the sheer number of writers across every special, annual, prog et all..

I really don't mind the early awkwardness of it the first 7-8 years I guess..most of it being smaller "arcs" mean it's easy to just pick up randomly...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Considering it's been running for 40 years, Dredd's had a surprisingly small number of writers (on the main strip in 2000AD, anyway). Wagner and Grant used to use various pseudonyms so that it didn't look like two people were writing most of each issue - eg, John Howard and TB Grover. Apart from the dark times in the 90s, Wagner has written the majority of the strip for four decades.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Considering it's been running for 40 years, Dredd's had a surprisingly small number of writers (on the main strip in 2000AD, anyway). Wagner and Grant used to use various pseudonyms so that it didn't look like two people were writing most of each issue - eg, John Howard and TB Grover. Apart from the dark times in the 90s, Wagner has written the majority of the strip for four decades.

I wouldn't exactly call them "dark times". Wagner wanted to move away from Dredd and let someone else carry on with it. He just didn't find the right people.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Payndz posted:

Apart from the dark times in the 90s, Wagner has written the majority of the strip for four decades.

My own Dredd read through (which I have been pacing myself with so I've been at it for a few years) has entered the 90's. I think I'm mid-91 at that moment and Wagner is still around but you're making me dread what's coming up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zer0spunk posted:

How far are you in terms of prog number?

I find this whole thing super fascinating. You have a story that starts in 2099 and then moves in realtime while the character also ages in realtime to the point where he's 75 "now". Not to mention it's a fairly controlled continuity unlike most characters of the medium so it's a pretty solid overall serialized story considering that just spans an entire actual 41 years..It's pretty insane if you think about it. Plus starting from the get-go really shows just how different people had 0 grasp on what the tone of the thing should be yet..is it a celebration of facist violence as a fantasy as satire? is it a black comedy about the consequences of violence and facism? is a serious piece that serves as a warning of absolutism? (lets try all of it at once!)

I'm also kinda excited to get to the point where current well-known folks start popping up on the creative side. I can only imagine the sheer number of writers across every special, annual, prog et all..

I really don't mind the early awkwardness of it the first 7-8 years I guess..most of it being smaller "arcs" mean it's easy to just pick up randomly...

I've bounced around a bunch, I've read about three hundred progs at this point though. Biggest chunk is definitely from 1500 to 1620ish, working on getting caught up to where I jumped in weekly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My issue is less a quality thing and more that you will get bogged down in everything feeling samey for a while, it's easier to do those early strips pre Cursed Earth in a couple of chunks that you mix in with other stuff

Also I don't think Case files collects the dead man which is bullshit

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My issue is less a quality thing and more that you will get bogged down in everything feeling samey for a while, it's easier to do those early strips pre Cursed Earth in a couple of chunks that you mix in with other stuff

It doesn't, because it isn't a Judge Dredd story. You can pick it up as a separate volume though (and should).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The problem with Dead Man is that not reading it in the context of 2000 AD as a magazine, the twist is ruined. When I read it I said, "Man, if I was a kid in the UK reading this in 1989 it would have blown my mind," but when you know that it's part of continuity and where it fits in, then you know what's happening. Dead Man is a decent enough story, it's just that the twist can't work after the fact.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Dead Man IS a Judge Dredd story inasmuch as it follows around Judge Dredd and explains what happened to him after...somethingorother happened, I forget, and why he appears back in the city after he resigns. I read through a good handful of the bigger Dredd stories a few years back and it would have been awkward without The Dead Man. Twist being ruined or not, it still belongs there at a certain spot in continuity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

It doesn't, because it isn't a Judge Dredd story. You can pick it up as a separate volume though (and should).

It literally stars Dredd himself and is an important part of making Necropolis work because otherwise you have him leaving and being replaced by Kraken, and then suddenly he's some gross high plains drifter who shows up halfway through Necropolis with no explanation for how he knows shits popping off

It should be included

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

zer0spunk posted:

Jesus christ.

Welcome friend. As you can see from the Dredd threads, I took The Long Walk earlier this year. Have to echo what everyone has said, mainlining Case Files will probably burn you out. I made it to Necropolis (Case Files 14 I think) before I finally gave in and stopped and that was sprinkling in Anderson stories, the IDW books and various other stuff. My suggestion is to skim Wolk's Dredd Reckoning (http://dreddreviews.blogspot.com/) for each one, get a gist of the good stories or the relevant ones, read the big events and skim the one shots that don't go anywhere.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

Jesus christ.

Personally I felt like I had to read some Judge Anderson stories because reading so many stories about what is an unrepentant fascist can be exhausting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My suggestion is just read Electra Glide in Silver over and over and maybe throw in A Night in Sylvia Plath occasionally because they're the best stories

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It literally stars Dredd himself and is an important part of making Necropolis work because otherwise you have him leaving and being replaced by Kraken, and then suddenly he's some gross high plains drifter who shows up halfway through Necropolis with no explanation for how he knows shits popping off

It should be included

The Dead Man stars Dredd, but it is not a Judge Dredd story because it wasn't published under the masthead. The Case Files are a collection of stories published under the regular masthead, so The Dead Man couldn't be included no matter how much sense it makes.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Random Stranger posted:

My own Dredd read through (which I have been pacing myself with so I've been at it for a few years) has entered the 90's. I think I'm mid-91 at that moment and Wagner is still around but you're making me dread what's coming up.

Ennis' stuff is mostly serviceable from what I've read, but Millar/Morrison is...not, like, Purgatory/Inferno is probably the worst mainline Dredd story I've read.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Disproportionation posted:

Ennis' stuff is mostly serviceable from what I've read, but Millar/Morrison is...not, like, Purgatory/Inferno is probably the worst mainline Dredd story I've read.
There were several 90s Dredd stories in 2000AD that boiled down to "remember this thing from your childhood? Here's a parody of it with ultraviolence and Dredd acting as even more of a Nazi bastard than usual as he shoots thinly-veiled analogues of familiar characters, tee hee tee hee!" (Star Trek, Mr Benn, The Magic Roundabout, etc.) They were all even worse than Inferno, which at least had an actual story, however bad.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Isn't Ennis's big event just a rehashed Apocalypse War anyway.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

^burtle posted:

Isn't Ennis's big event just a rehashed Apocalypse War anyway.
Not really; more a mash-up of AW, Necropolis and Young Death, with elements of The Judge Child (Murd) and crossing over with another strip (Strontium Dog) for no reason other than it can. The villain is just a poo poo version of Sidney D'eath with an even more ridiculous name, and the story kills off a ton of the supporting cast to little effect. It moves at a good clip and it gives Dredd and Johnny Alpha some decent "aren't we badass" moments, but there's nothing original in it at all.

The same's true of Ennis's other big event, Helter Skelter, which basically exists to bring back a load of dead villains so Dredd can kill them again. Between the two of them it feels like Ennis wanted to play with Wagner and Grant's toys, but couldn't think of anything better to do with them than bash them together like a three-year-old with his Hot Wheels. His smaller stories are much better, when he's actually using his own ideas rather than recycling Wagner's.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

^burtle posted:

Welcome friend. As you can see from the Dredd threads, I took The Long Walk earlier this year. Have to echo what everyone has said, mainlining Case Files will probably burn you out. I made it to Necropolis (Case Files 14 I think) before I finally gave in and stopped and that was sprinkling in Anderson stories, the IDW books and various other stuff. My suggestion is to skim Wolk's Dredd Reckoning (http://dreddreviews.blogspot.com/) for each one, get a gist of the good stories or the relevant ones, read the big events and skim the one shots that don't go anywhere.

It's funny but Necropolis is a great jumping off point since years worth of stories built up to it and then once it's finished (and a few follow ups are complete) it's kind of hard to get back into the groove of yet another generic Dredd story. I'm probably going to inch along at the pace of a year every couple of months unless I hit a really amazing block of stories that pulls me forward. I'm told that there's a Dredd renaissance eventually so that will keep me going.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Not really; more a mash-up of AW, Necropolis and Young Death, with elements of The Judge Child (Murd) and crossing over with another strip (Strontium Dog) for no reason other than it can. The villain is just a poo poo version of Sidney D'eath with an even more ridiculous name, and the story kills off a ton of the supporting cast to little effect. It moves at a good clip and it gives Dredd and Johnny Alpha some decent "aren't we badass" moments, but there's nothing original in it at all.

Sabbat the Necromagus is actually Walter the Softie from the Beano, which joke is worth the price of admission.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

The same's true of Ennis's other big event, Helter Skelter, which basically exists to bring back a load of dead villains so Dredd can kill them again. Between the two of them it feels like Ennis wanted to play with Wagner and Grant's toys, but couldn't think of anything better to do with them than bash them together like a three-year-old with his Hot Wheels. His smaller stories are much better, when he's actually using his own ideas rather than recycling Wagner's.

In Ennis defense he thinks that event sucked rear end in hindsight

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

The Dead Man stars Dredd, but it is not a Judge Dredd story because it wasn't published under the masthead. The Case Files are a collection of stories published under the regular masthead, so The Dead Man couldn't be included no matter how much sense it makes.

Sure and I'm saying that's dumb and they shouldn't have done it that way namaste

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

Sabbat the Necromagus is actually Walter the Softie from the Beano, which joke is worth the price of admission.
Ha! I did notice that the bully he killed and zombified was wearing a red and black striped jumper, but never made the connection...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Ha! I did notice that the bully he killed and zombified was wearing a red and black striped jumper, but never made the connection...

The bully is also called Big Den. It's not exactly subtle.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Payndz posted:

Because I apparently have little better to do, I've made a spreadsheet listing the Mega Collection stories in chronological order. So you start with 'Krong' in volume 86, and finish with 'From The Ashes' in volume 83.

Note that these are just the "mainline" stories - Dredd (both in 2000AD and Megazine), Anderson, Chopper, Judge Death, The Dead Man. It's not every single obscure side character's story in the entire Mega Collection because I didn't say that I have nothing better to do.

I didn't have anything better to do over the bank holiday so I made a modified version of this with spinoffs included, if you don't mind.

I've marked the additions in blue so they can be skipped over if preferred, since most of them don't really affect mainline Dredd (Useful to have stuff like Demarco/Simping Detective/Low Life listed though).

Fair warning, there are periods in the early 90s and 00s where the list is mostly spinoffs now.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Disproportionation posted:

I didn't have anything better to do over the bank holiday so I made a modified version of this with spinoffs included, if you don't mind.
No, that's great!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is sort of tangential, but I decided to hate-read the "Funko Universe" Dredd oneshot, and

I ended up not hating it at all

It has Pugg Dredd, which immediately justifies its existence

e: ah ha ha ha ha, the very next story is the Dark Judges causing a zombie apocalypse. Dredd and Anderson are on the scene, Anderson figures out where they are immediately, but isn't really cool with gunning down the zombies since she suspects there's a way to turn them back. The solution Dredd and Anderson come to is...

like, to someone who's a bigger Dredd purist than I am this is probably disgraceful, but I'm not that big of one and I'm losing my poo poo laughing at this stupid oneshot

e2: holy poo poo the end of that story, I'm not spoiling it, go read this oneshot right now :laffo: I'm legit sad this only has 3 stories in it

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 29, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Liking Funko Pops. Forty years, creep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

Liking Funko Pops. Forty years, creep!
Funko Pops make me feel depressingly old, because I'll go into a comic/nerd shop and see shelf upon shelf of these pointless, ugly, expensive, blank-faced things and just stare at them for a moment, going "...Why?"