Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Everybody in this forum has their favorite memory of receiving a gift of video games. Christmas, birthdays, etc. This is the thread to talk about it.

My personal favorite was probably getting the SNES with Donkey Kong Country pack-in. I remember the box had the DKC palm tree motif all over it.

Second favorite was when I thought really hard about whether to ask for Marvel vs Capcom 2 or Capcom vs SNK 2 for Christmas but decided on Capcom vs SNK 2 because I saw a screenshot in OPM where Benimaru looked like Goku. I got the game for Christmas and I still think it's probably at least as good as MvC2 if not slightly better.

Tell me your stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
This forum's Brazilians can all just skip telling us about when they got a Sega Master System in 1997

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Woke up on Christmas to a plugged in N64 playing the Bomberman Hero attract screen.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Laughing thinking about the OP's post but their talking about Marvel vs Capcom Infinite instead.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Woke up on Christmas to a plugged in N64 playing the Bomberman Hero attract screen.

That is loving tight

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Christmas 96

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my parents packed a GameCube inside increasingly larger boxes with the final one being a shipping box an adult could probably fit in comfortably.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Christmas when I was 11 or 12 and got an original Xbox and a copy of Splinter Cell is probably the reason I'm still a gamer.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PS2 Christmas

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For Christmas 1998 I got a PlayStation with Final Fantasy VII and already thought it was the most epic Christmas ever, but then I opened another present to find a Game Boy Color and Pokémon Blue. Post-divorce Christmases ftw

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Same, age 12

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my mom thought to surprise me one day with a game that was some budget bin PC game but surprise gifts were something that didn’t happen much and despite it looking like trash I played through it and i enjoyed it. I think the idea that my mom was trying to relate to her young teenage son made it a lot more enjoyable than it was.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

This was a huge one for me. My mom waited in line at WalMart in the early morning hours to get me that prize

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Asking for Yoshi's Island for easter, knowing it was a long shot because no one gets gifts for easter, but waking up and seeing it in my basket anyway.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

my earliest memory is playing super mario all stars with my dad on our brand new snes, christmas evening 1993

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fiend Matador posted:

Asking for Yoshi's Island for easter, knowing it was a long shot because no one gets gifts for easter, but waking up and seeing it in my basket anyway.

I got one of those Spongebob Squarepants episodes on a GBA cart for Easter once.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fiend Matador posted:

I got Yoshi's Island as a graduation gift for going from bear scout to webalos. The only other time i might've been as hyped is when my dad brought home a 64 on launch as a gift to himself.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
One of my earliest remaining memories, as an old person, is the Christmas for which I asked for Atari ST game "Bloodwych", which cost like $15 or something at the time, and my dad was like "are you sure you don't want something better?" and I was like "are you suuuure it's better? I don't think it's going to be better." (It was obviously not going to be better.)

Bam, Christmas day, turns out my dad got some kind of yamaha keyboard for me and my brother to share, which basically meant just for my brother because he was older and a total dick, and also neither of us wanted it anyway or had any interest in making music (but if I'd ever tried to have a go with it my brother would have instantly insisted it was his turn now anyway). And it was like $200 worth of gift. gently caress you dad, for the lovely gift of no games.

But on the other hand, the actual earliest 'memory' but mostly reconstructed from context, is a 48K Spectrum in 1982, which was years of fun and also seeded my career as a programmer, so thanks years-earlier dad. Also a great way to make friends through the power of piracy!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

One of my earliest remaining memories, as an old person, is the Christmas for which I asked for Atari ST game "Bloodwych", which cost like $15 or something at the time, and my dad was like "are you sure you don't want something better?" and I was like "are you suuuure it's better? I don't think it's going to be better." (It was obviously not going to be better.)

Bam, Christmas day, turns out my dad got some kind of yamaha keyboard for me and my brother to share, which basically meant just for my brother because he was older and a total dick, and also neither of us wanted it anyway or had any interest in making music (but if I'd ever tried to have a go with it my brother would have instantly insisted it was his turn now anyway). And it was like $200 worth of gift. gently caress you dad, for the lovely gift of no games.

But on the other hand, the actual earliest 'memory' but mostly reconstructed from context, is a 48K Spectrum in 1982, which was years of fun and also seeded my career as a programmer, so thanks years-earlier dad. Also a great way to make friends through the power of piracy!
You should have gone into music like your dad wanted.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You should have gone into music like your dad wanted.
More like my brother should have. :argh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

More like my brother should have. :argh:
Yeah, you could be in a band together now instead of getting paid garbage money to go blind in a computer lab

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Programmers make really good money though

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Sophistication posted:

Programmers make really good money though

im happier being poor and retarded about computers

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

im happier being poor and retarded about computers

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I got one of those Spongebob Squarepants episodes on a GBA cart for Easter once.

My first GBA game was WWE Betrayal, a side scrolling beat em up where your The Undertaker, The Rock, Stone Cold, or HHH, and you have to fight your way through security and the guys you didn't pick to save Stephanie McMahon.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

My dad got me a modded sega saturn for Christmas in 2009 along with two copies of Daytona USA. It ruled.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

Cool GBS style post about not getting the present you wanted on Christmas 40 years ago.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

As a kid I wanted a PC or console for the longest while, or that's how it felt at the time. Maybe it was only a couple of years, but when you're 6 or 8 years old that feels like forever. For some reason my parents had a strict no-videogames policy, thinking it rots brains or something like that. When I got a SNES and several games for Christmas I almost lost my mind. I couldn't fathom it. I didn't freak out or yell or anything, I just quietly sat there with my mind fuckin blown. It was too much. It was amazing.

Years later I also got a US SNES as a gift, along with Final Fantasy III (or 6 today) and A Link to the Past. A big part of the reason I love JRPGs today is because of playing FF back in the day, it was phenomenal. It was never released in Europe, so I'm thankful I got the rare chance to play it. Those were probably the best gifts I've ever received and the reason I love videogames so god drat much. Nowadays, when I buy games or a console, I think some part of it is to chase that original feeling.

Suffice to say I think the SNES is the greatest console ever made. It has an incredible lineup and I think the design of the controller just communicates 'fun' to the user like no other controller. Just looking at it makes me feel good. Gotta go play some SNES Classic Mini now.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

roomforthetuna posted:

[Pulls the Uncle at Nintendo alarm]

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The year the PS2 came out I got it for Christmas without expecting it, my Dad hid the box behind the couch and waited until we opened all our other presents and then told me to look behind the couch but I wouldn't do it at first because I thought he was joking.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My family had a tradition of opening one present on Christmas Eve... One year I opened up my Christmas Eve gift and it was a copy of Link's Awakening and I didn't even have a Gameboy yet. That was the longest night ever but the next morning I had a teal Gameboy pocket, Wario Land, Kirby's Dream Land and Pokemon Red.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My father went on one of his business trips and came back with the first Gameboy and 2 cartridges - one had Tetris on it and the other had 24 games in one kind of deal including Tetris. It was a crazy cool gift, I played non-stop until the batteries ran out. To this day I remember how robust and complex that Gameboy felt in my hands as if it was some cyberpunk device from the future.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

dionysian posted:

Cool GBS style post about not getting the present you wanted on Christmas 40 years ago.
The last bit was where I got an awesome game system that I didn't even know I wanted, 40 years ago, like the thread topic. It was more like 30 years ago that was a gift of games failure.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
got mario land 2, wario land and wario land 2 all on easters. Easter is now a celebration of wario

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Op owes me a gift of game now for fooling me with thread title

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

Op owes me a gift of game now for fooling me with thread title

You can have the Bad Rats stinking up my Steam account

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

dionysian posted:

This but without the toxicity.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

The last bit was where I got an awesome game system that I didn't even know I wanted, 40 years ago, like the thread topic. It was more like 30 years ago that was a gift of games failure.

Tell that guy to gently caress off. Don't worry bro, I think your GBS post was epic.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
the ultimate christmas bait and switch for me had to be getting a ps2 but the only game they got me was The Simpsons Skateboarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I had only ever had cartridge consoles before so when my folks got me a PS2 the noobs didn’t know you also had to buy a memory card which the console didn’t come with leading to me leaving the system running for 4 days so I didn’t lose my Legend of Dragoon progress

• Locked thread