Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DiggityDoink posted:

how the gently caress is that even legal?

i'll guess it's the same situation like HFT. it's only legal because it's not illegal yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
air bud scenario

there's no rule that says the back doors of your car have to be openable in the event of an emergency

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

graph posted:

move fast, disrupt things :imunfunny:

fixed that for you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

at least some 20 years down the line when lawmaking finally happens cars will be more regulated and more expensive all because common sense isn't

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

move fast, break things :imunfunny:

gotta admit, the cars are good at both!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"safety third"

-elon "safety third" musk

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Sex Pestols

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

at least some 20 years down the line when lawmaking finally happens cars will be more regulated and more expensive all because common sense isn't
20 years from now, all doors will open remotely only, for a reasonable fee payable in Doorcoin.

You will be able to upgrade to lifetime* door service.

(If you die in a burning car before the door opens your life will have ended so your estate will be billed for any additional door opening required to remove your corpse.)

Inquire with your dealer about expedited door opening service.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 28, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

mystes posted:

20 years from now, all doors will open remotely only, for a reasonable fee payable in Doorcoin.

my garage door is rolling up uP UP!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mystes posted:

You will be able to upgrade to lifetime* door service.

(If you die in a burning car before the door opens your life will have ended so your estate will be billed for any additional door opening required to remove your corpse.)

Inquire with your dealer about expedited door opening service.

we've all read snow crash, thanks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ah I was just thinking that must have been in some book, but I was thinking Ubik.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

graph posted:

i'll guess it's the same situation like HFT. it's only legal because it's not illegal yet

I think it is more that most automakers remember the Pinto and related death traps of the 70s.

or more precisely they remember a jury awarding half a billion dollars (inflation adjusted) in punitive damages for a single wreck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's okay, soon your car purchase will come with a binding arbitration agreement

moparacker
May 8, 2007

duz posted:

i guess the autopilot ai was based on rube waddell

A few pages back, but :golfclap:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Considering how they've handled the autopilot crashes, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame people who die because they can't get out, too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

recalling username chat from a few pages ago:

"loop otteration" with this gif as an avatar could work pretty well:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
elon "elon musk" musk: hey guys, another brilliant idea here, why is nobody doing <x>?

subject matter experts: because that's dumb as poo poo and won't work at all

he's like a 12 year old with billions of other people's dollars

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 28, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lmfao Chicago soil is basically jelly for like 50+ feet down where you hit bedrock, Elon. People have known this for like 130 years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

built on loam and older chicago

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe he'll find jimmy hoffa

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe he'll find jimmy bofa

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jimmy bank of america

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh .... word??

the breathless credulity that was given to him after that bullshit was so shameful

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

its me, im the clay expert

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sounds like a hater to me :crosses arms: :boston smirk: let's get to work boys

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

akadajet posted:

atomicthumbs is a quality yosposter, imo

Absolutely not

SIGSEGV posted:

it's a crime that he didn't link goatse

a whole bunch of cryptocurrency people who decided to follow me for some reason have been jumping in to tell me that actually, capitalism is good, and i am using goatse to its full effect there. one guy stopped replying and didn't get on twitter for nine hours

i already had a habit of linking my thing at the bottom of things that might have any chance at all to be seen by any amount of people, in case someone was feeling nice and wanted to give me five dollars, because my financial situation is Bad and getting Worse.

unfortunately this time some of the people who follow me and retweeted it had friends who retweeted it themselves which doesn't really happen often

e: speaking of shameful regdates,

Clockwerk posted:

haha. gently caress you atomicthumbs

hi

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 28, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, sometimes you have some cool junk to post about, which makes for some quality yospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drat, it's on brand as gently caress, i just hope you never want to get hired anywhere with, like, a code of conduct.

of course at that point i'm sure they'll be all NYT on jeong about it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

drat, it's on brand as gently caress, i just hope you never want to get hired anywhere with, like, a code of conduct.

of course at that point i'm sure they'll be all NYT on jeong about it

i'm already disqualified by my tweets with pictures of the ESET NOD32 android alleging that he's "ready to gently caress" and with the NOD32 tagline replaced with "INDOMITABLE BIONIC PENIS"

e: re, the linking to post thing: i do that because a cool guy i follow on twitter (gravislizard) got in a habit of linking his ko-fi page after his rants about how lovely software design is and made a small amount of money off it, and because i will do anything i'm able to in order to monetize my art skills while i can't actually do my art

i drive 100 miles each way to my job, one day a week, which doesn't pay all of my bills. i'm going to be switching to full time as soon as the fire season ends; until then I'm living with my dad (doing house/yard labor for him in lieu of rent) so that I can help him pack if he needs to evacuate. all my valuable belongings, negatives, prints etc are still in a pile in the living room, having prepared them during the Mendocino Complex fire as the border of the evacuation zone crept closer and closer to the house

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

shameful as poo poo

if you want to help me not have to beg for money so i can sleep on something other than a camping cot that's slowly becoming concave as the months go on, i can link you to my ko-fi

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 28, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

atomicthumbs posted:

i already had a habit of linking my thing at the bottom of things that might have any chance at all to be seen by any amount of people, in case someone was feeling nice and wanted to give me five dollars, because my financial situation is Bad and getting Worse.

weren't you the goon whose family has land on a desirable california lake location but oh no my family has no money at all no sir i have had no privilege in life

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of the fucky periods of capitalism and feudalism were in part caused by large classes of ostensibly rich peeps who were super fuckin illiquid because their holdings were in land only and land was super illiquid at the time or the only way they could get a cash flow out of the land was by mortgage or by selling, both of which they wouldn't do

in california, this was one of those times. another time was 1776 and whereabouts. george washington was the richest man in america on paper but really illiquid lots of times

may have nothing to do with your situations but i know lots of olds who are paper millionaires and seriously are thinkin about ridiculous bullshit like reverse mortgages because they are so fuckin illiquid

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

may have nothing to do with your situations but i know lots of olds who are paper millionaires and seriously are thinkin about ridiculous bullshit like reverse mortgages because they are so fuckin illiquid
it's because boomers are selfish and terrible and need to die already

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peter turchin has a weirdo but pretty interesting scholarly career out of basically arguing that large fuckwad periods of history (revolutionary period, civil war period, gilded age period, civil rights period, right now) were caused in large part by titanic struggles between peeps trying to be elites in society. large classes of peeps who are paper rich but illiquid is often a symptom, too. (in the 1850s-60's, they were paper rich in slaves! isnt that fun actually it isnt)

not that you're anywhere close to an elite

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

weren't you the goon whose family has land on a desirable california lake location but oh no my family has no money at all no sir i have had no privilege in life

shut the gently caress up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait.. how many slaves does viral twitter sensation atomicthumbs have?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Last Chance posted:

"safety third"

-elon "safety third" musk

fundamentally against the concept of what engineering is

what an absolute piece of poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

wait.. how many slaves does viral twitter sensation atomicthumbs have?

none
but i could deffo imagine atomicthumbs's dad owning lotsa land and being skint in cash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fundamentally against the concept of what engineering is

what an absolute piece of poo poo

he's a failed physics student who transitioned to management, a guy who sucked so hard he got fired by paypal, while on vacation, what exactly were you expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

most countries don’t “recognize” dual citizenship so this doesn’t come up

what about a stateless person though