Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mervyn Peake is a better subject than GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dudeness posted:

I just finished reading The Company of Glass and a dude gets jerked off by snakes and also hosed in the rear end by snakes, this turns him into a snake man warrior.

So I agree with you.

Lemme tell you all about the Sword of Truth series' relationship to sex

People always focus on the objectivism but the sex is real hosed up

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Tolkien defanged mythology to write an infantilised fantasy - Epic Pooh, as Michael Moorcock put it.

I would recommend Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Trilogy or Italo Calvino's works, for starters.

post your whole list, not a few cherry picks off the top! :carol:

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

esperterra posted:

You wanna talk about hosed up Objectivism? Alan Greenspan used to gently caress Ayn Rand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

You wanna talk about hosed up Objectivism? Alan Greenspan used to gently caress Ayn Rand.

And now he dry bones Andrea Mitchell...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
When GRMM dies the flags will be at full mast in his honor

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

So apparently the final season of the show was delayed again. They're really following the grrm blueprint.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TERFherder posted:

post your whole list, not a few cherry picks off the top! :carol:

Watch out what you wish for, because you just might get it

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My favorite bit of the western literary canon was when Llosa punched Márquez in the face

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

So apparently the final season of the show was delayed again. They're really following the grrm blueprint.

HBO knows everyone will cancel their GO subscriptions the minute that series finale ends.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dont people cancel it as soon as each season ends anyway?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How hard must the HBO execs have cried when they realized Westworld isn't taking off? Now all their hopes are on the spinoff.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn’t even know you could pay to just have HBO GO. I figured you needed an HBO cable subscription.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

HBO GO makes me think of a bizarre cartoon starring famous characters from their shows all living together.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

HBO GO makes me think of a bizarre cartoon starring famous characters from their shows all living together.

Good god, that made me imagine a Game of Thrones equivalent of Teen Titans, GO!.

It would actually be even funnier if all it had was the animation style, but was otherwise exactly the same.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

How hard must the HBO execs have cried when they realized Westworld isn't taking off? Now all their hopes are on the spinoff.

I thought Westworld was supposed to be pretty popular? I've never watched it myself but I somehow can't stop hearing about it all over the place. But yeah lol I get the sentiment; once the show's done I ain't never watching HBO ever again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

RCarr posted:

I didn’t even know you could pay to just have HBO GO. I figured you needed an HBO cable subscription.

HBO Now, actually.

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought Westworld was supposed to be pretty popular? I've never watched it myself but I somehow can't stop hearing about it all over the place. But yeah lol I get the sentiment; once the show's done I ain't never watching HBO ever again.
All the over place in real life or all the over place on Internet forums? Season 2 viewership was disappointing and an HBO exec equivocated about it in a public statement.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 29, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

E: q is no e

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 29, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe they'll bring back True Detective. But make it not suck for season 3.

edit:
Maybe I'll rewatch season 1. I only watched it once, but I think it deserves another viewing.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 29, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe they'll bring back True Detective. But make it not suck for season 3.

edit:
Maybe I'll rewatch season 1. I only watched it once, but I think it deserves another viewing.

You're in luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUznQds8p4

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Season 1 was good, then season 2 was a complete trainwreck since they no longer had any idea what to do with the plot. It was like a Game of Thrones speedrun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow. Had no idea that was coming out. Fingers crossed I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously though, Victorian lit is dull as poo poo. Ya’ll motherfuckers need to read some Romantic Era poetry. Now those drugged out fuckers could tell a story... unless someone came to the door and they forgot it by the time they went back to their desk.

Visit Charming Porlock — the village that killed Kubla Khan!

Dickens is . . . somewhat erratic . . . but at his best, he's the best, that simple. The chapters in David Copperfield about life as a street urchin are as good as they possibly could be.

He also somewhat literally saved Christmas.

http://time.com/5017067/a-christmas-carol-charles-dickens-movie/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

esperterra posted:

Objectivism and hosed up sex are like flies and poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow. Had no idea that was coming out. Fingers crossed I guess.

I hope it's weird and x-filesish like season 1.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ginette Reno posted:

When GRMM dies the flags will be at glistening mast in his honor

ftfy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

As long as it's TV/IV thread is filled with crazy idiots and conspiracy theorists, I'll be happy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The chapters in David Copperfield about life as a street urchin are as good as they possibly could be.

I don't know, have you read Rothfuss? Heavy stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't know, have you read Rothfuss? Heavy stuff.

Ah. Another pear-shaped bewhiskered man who will also never finish his book.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah. Another pear-shaped bewhiskered man who will also never finish his book.

You reminded me of it, so I finally read the Pear Shaped Man. Do you think it's autobiographic?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

900 posts since the last time i posted in here, is the book out yet?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

IRQ posted:

900 posts since the last time i posted in here, is the book out yet?

what does your heart tell you

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Marijuana posted:

what does your heart tell you

to burn everything

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

especially gurm

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Somebody get Elon musk to buy TGIFridays and close them all down until he finishes this poo poo. Or buy the Jets...whichevers cheaper.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Probably the Jets.

People actually want to go to TGI Friday's.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

Dont people cancel it as soon as each season ends anyway?

No, because now like 2 other friends or family members use it, just like you are using their Hulu or Prime accounts. Canceling upsets the delicate eco system of shared login exchange.

Lycus posted:

I'm sure they go through this every time though right? They get some insane hit like Sopranos, then panic when Rome or Deadwood doesn't take off. Then orgasm when TrueBlood becomes a giant hit. I'm sure its a super stressful industry to work in, trying to bring in the hits. Sort of random - I didn't realize that the Sopranos and The Wire were running at the same time. I never had HBO , I just torrented stuff, so I'd find a series, get into it and binge it. Kind of cool they were running such different types of crime shows at the same time. And funny that the Wire was so overlooked compared to the Sopranos.

RCarr posted:

It is relatively new that they allow that. Last 3 years.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

No dabbling their toes in the water like they did with the Yellow King stuff last time. Go full on gonzo Lovecraftian halfway in.

It's set in the Ozarks, let's have some Mi-Go turn up.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 2, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Some important news about upcoming releases on the blog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I always click on the link because I always want to see what new forestalment he’s concocted this time. Nice to see he’s now dipping into Neil Gaiman territory of “Eh gently caress it, I’ll just repurpose failed pilot scripts I wrote years ago into books, no one will even notice!” (Interworld was garbage, fyi and I completely get why it was passed on by network execs).