Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All you really need to run a pedo ring is for the authorities to turn a blind eye. IIRC the UK learned that the hard way with a recent thing where the police were basically ignoring a bunch of pedos because they were only raping poor girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I have no idea,probably, but I didn't mean to make the thread about the UK as such I was more suggesting the problem(for me) with asia argento wasn't the kids actual age (given the UK's age of consent) but more the abuse of trust of which she absolutely seems to be guilty.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All you really need to run a pedo ring is for the authorities to turn a blind eye. IIRC the UK learned that the hard way with a recent thing where the police were basically ignoring a bunch of pedos because they were only raping poor girls.

grossly, those werent secret. they just werent reported or actioned by the police

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was called the bbc

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Yeah the vast majority of the world, including most of the US even, places the age of consent at 16-17. What's hosed up is the weird abuse/grooming overtones in the Argento story.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

esperterra posted:

Also yeah AoC is lower in Canada as well (or at least is in BC, and it was digustingly low for a while in my lifetime but thankfully they bumped it the gently caress up at some point) so that may also be effecting my stance on the general idea of 17yos having sex with adults.

Still tho I can't help but think how skeazy/desperate someone's got to be to go after a teenager, even if they are legal. Like you can't find anyone your own age who will put up with you?

The larger issue is that people often groom people while younger than that and then have sex with them after they are 17, so it's technically "legal." Which is no different than having sex with them when they're 14 or whatever. I personally know of two different cases where a guy lived with a girl when she was 13 and he was an adult (in one case while he was dating her mom!) and ended up having sex with her when 17 or 18, and while it's technically "legal," I see that as just being statutory rape.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Darko posted:

The larger issue is that people often groom people while younger than that and then have sex with them after they are 17, so it's technically "legal." Which is no different than having sex with them when they're 14 or whatever. I personally know of two different cases where a guy lived with a girl when she was 13 and he was an adult (in one case while he was dating her mom!) and ended up having sex with her when 17 or 18, and while it's technically "legal," I see that as just being statutory rape.

Ban all sex out of marriage imo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Darko posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a line too drat far and I wish there was a proper way to deal with creeps like that. It's a thin line already involving yourself with someone 16 to 18, let alone literally waiting for someone younger to hit that magic legal age and priming them for it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think a graduated 25 would be a great age of consent.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think there should be a small window where public displays of affection (PDAs) are allowed and outside of that its basically a hate crime. I would say the third to sixth months of your 27th year so long as your partner was within 18 months of you in age. Otherwise no.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

I think a graduated 25 would be a great age of consent.

Maybe they should also have to do some sort of official test to get consent authorisation because some of the 25 year olds I know are still really, really immature.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You should have to complete a standardized test before you can grant or ask for consent

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not be on someone else's health insurance. Then you're an adult. Until then,.no sex, drinking, driving, or voting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Dane Cook's teenage yet adult girlfriend is legitimately less creepy than like the last six posts.

V No, I'm expressing that the opinions above are gross and weird. V

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 28, 2018

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Dane Cook's teenage yet adult girlfriend is legitimately less creepy than like the last six posts.

Very clearly a pervert here.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've just been assuming those were jokes b/c :lol: otherwise

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did this already get posted? We all knew it was just a matter if time

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/louis-ck-returns-stand-up-surprise-new-york-performance-1137917

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I didn't know about that, nope. Though tbh as fun as he is to meme, I do think C.K.'s admittance of misconduct/apology was one of the better ones. I'm not too fussed about him doing a 15min comedy set.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, I mean on this horrific poo poo scale we've barely scratched the surface of, Louis is right at the bottom. His apology also seemed decent, like the polar opposite of Spacey.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The worst things that Louis C.K. did were asking women in subordinate positions of power if he could masturbate in front of them (and then doing so) and doing things like masturbating loudly while talking on the phone with women (without prior consent) right?

I'm not trying to downplay any of that, I just want to know if I'm missing anything before I form an opinion on this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sucrose posted:

The worst things that Louis C.K. did were asking women in subordinate positions of power if he could masturbate in front of them (and then doing so) and doing things like masturbating loudly while talking on the phone with women (without prior consent) right?

I'm not trying to downplay any of that, I just want to know if I'm missing anything before I form an opinion on this.

As far as I know, yeah. He was a gross pervert but I don't think he ever forced himself physically on someone. He just intimindated (inadverdently or otherwise) them into watching him wank I think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love Louie but I've pretty much written him off, I doubt I'll ever make a point to watch him work again. But if we forgive him it opens to door to other gross celebs to walk down that hallway as well. Or at least attempt it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
gently caress him

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thing is, 30 or 60 somethings meeting kids, which is what 16 and 17 year olds are doesn't happen too much without there being other people, family, about to put the kibosh on that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Where does it happen?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

gently caress him

same, he can eat poo poo. he gets a standing ovation for a loving set while the people who came forward about him got dismissed or received threats. gently caress Louis, he deserves whatever fatman heart attack awaits him.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sucrose posted:

I think “ask” is too gentle a term here. From what I read he basically asked and than immediately went to it. There wasn’t like a choice for the women to not see it in nearly every case it happened in person.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like Louis made a point to tell everyone in his sets that he was a gross person and now everyone finally believes him.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yeah, all he did was call a woman and jerk off too loud.

Jesus loving christ, people, did any of you actually read the NYT piece?

quote:

In 2015, a few months before the now-defunct website Defamer circulated rumors of Louis C.K.’s alleged sexual misconduct, Ms. Corry also received an email from Louis C.K., which was obtained by The Times, saying he owed her a “very very very late apology.” When he phoned her, he said he was sorry for shoving her in a bathroom. Ms. Corry replied that he had never done that, but had instead asked to masturbate in front of her. Responding in a shaky voice, he acknowledged it and said, “I used to misread people back then,” she recalled.

The call confounded her, Ms. Corry said: not only had he misremembered the incident, which made her think there were other moments of misconduct, he also implied she had done something to invite his behavior. “It is unfair he’s put me or anyone else in this position,” Ms. Corry said.

Dude has serious issues that aren't going to be resolved by a single moment of public humiliation. He has loving traumatized and discouraged numerous people from doing the things that made them happy. Him loving off forever is totally just.

edit:

"Well, he made a nice apology."

Motherfucker has been apologizing for years and then straight up lying about the veracity of these things in public. Apology is not enough. He needs to gently caress off, for good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’m worried that CK is going to be the litmus test for what counts as an “earned” redemption story, simply because of what we’re seeing in this very thread - that wasn’t “as bad” as others, or that he “took ownership” of what he did.

He’s a loving predator who preyed uninhibited for decades. The only reason he stopped is the same reason any of these motherfuckers stop; he got caught. He didn’t realize the error of his ways and have a come to Jesus moment or some poo poo.

He assaulted women, full stop. Serially. You don’t get to call a do-over on that. The club that hosted him should be ashamed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's still a nasty pervert and a gross man. I just don't care so much about him doing some 15min comedy set as I would care if someone hired, like, Spacey for a big role or something.

What it really comes down to for me is if he's actually stopped this lovely behaviour or not. If his apology is sincere and he betters himself and doesn't do that poo poo again, then I'm fine. At least he admitted he was wrong unlike tons of other sex pests-- that gives him a leg up even if it's not much of one.

Time will tell, basically.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Louis was showing strong signs of decadence and self righteous piety before all this happened so he can stay dead. He won't though he's too valuable to too many.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The type of culture that allowed his behavior to persist as long as it did is demonstrably not the kind of culture that's going to actually help see to it that he or anyone else following in his shadow is going to learn anything substantive from this except for the personal effect, rather than its actual ramifications for the world around you. Even before this 15 all the loving comedy chuds were getting out in front talking about how we need to give him a second chance and how what he did isn't that serious.

That's the context in which his apology emerged. And, again, it is just one apology in a long string of apologies, and coming hot off the heels of a complete public denial.

Wanting to see some old cool dad do jokes about the n-word is actually seriously less important than the actual context of some club giving him the 15. The problem is not the individual pervert, the problem is ideology.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah I can't give any points to someone who apologizes after the story is out and irrefutable. Like if sixth months prior out of the blue (although not really because the rumors had been around a while) he'd been like, "America, I am an awful person and a sexual criminal," he'd get (a little) cred for that. Wonder why that never happens...

Also not for nothing but even his "good apology" includes some "Well, I had my reasons" language.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 28, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ah his apology was actually pretty poo poo. For one thing it's come after years of handwaving the whole thing away as nothing while his career was on the rise, then in it he makes repeated mention of how these women 'admired' him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Louis CK forcing a room full of unsuspecting people to watch him perform is extremely on brand.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Ah his apology was actually pretty poo poo. For one thing it's come after years of handwaving the whole thing away as nothing while his career was on the rise, then in it he makes repeated mention of how these women 'admired' him.

The denials are really what ruins it in my opinion, more than anything specific in his apology. When you've denied accusations publicly for years, which as the effect of further emotionally harming the victims, to me you give up your ability to come clean later and expect forgiveness.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things (2004) has recently skyrocketed to being the most popular feature film of 2004 on IMDb
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2004&title_type=feature

Louis C.K., Matt Lauer, and Aziz Ansari all resurface: Is it already comeback time for the men of #MeToo?
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/louis-c-k-matt-lauer-aziz-ansari-resurface-already-comeback-time-men-metoo-170837152.html

A difficult #MeToo question: How many women are accused of sexual harassment?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-difficult-metoo-question-how-many-women-are-accused-of-sexual-harassment-2018-08-21

Asia Argento cut from 'X Factor Italy' following sexual assault allegation
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/asia-argento-cut-x-factor-italy-following-sexual-assault-allegation-143054675.html

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

Yeah I can't give any points to someone who apologizes after the story is out and irrefutable. Like if sixth months prior out of the blue (although not really because the rumors had been around a while) he'd been like, "America, I am an awful person and a sexual criminal," he'd get (a little) cred for that. Wonder why that never happens...

Morgan Spurlock did this, though I'm not sure what ever came of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did anything end up happening with Ansari? I thought it was just the one article and that was all that came out of it?