Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, that's literally "the feature that lets blind people browse the web", and it's worth disabling if you don't use tools like NVDA/JAWS, but it's not spyware. (Before I clicked the link, I felt pretty confident it was going to take me to an article about telemetry or shield studies, which are closer to actual "spyware", though telemetry at least doesn't actually bother me.)

Klyith posted:

No. That thing you just cited is not the mozilla spyware*...

*that's pocket

Technically I don't think that's spyware either, it's just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Avenging Dentist posted:

Technically I don't think that's spyware either, it's just stupid.

Should have put a sarcasm mark on that, pocket is actually a pretty innocuous design for people who don't make an account with it. At least, innocuous on mozilla's part. The third parties that mozilla is getting "trending stories" from are probably a completely different story.

speaking of browsing while institutionally paranoid, is anyone fully into using the container tabs stuff? I keep thinking I should set up a system with that, but haven't bothered to yet. if container tabs could also isolate history I'd be so into that.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I use containers but mainly just to manage multiple accounts on sites that don't really support that well. I've considered writing something like a generalization of Facebook containers where you could specify rules for what goes where (possibly defaulting to every host in its own container) but that's gonna have to go in the back of my personal project queue, which is already quite long.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Klyith posted:

Should have put a sarcasm mark on that, pocket is actually a pretty innocuous design for people who don't make an account with it. At least, innocuous on mozilla's part. The third parties that mozilla is getting "trending stories" from are probably a completely different story.

speaking of browsing while institutionally paranoid, is anyone fully into using the container tabs stuff? I keep thinking I should set up a system with that, but haven't bothered to yet. if container tabs could also isolate history I'd be so into that.

I'm personally using the Facebook Container extension, and it's pretty great. I'd like to containerize Google stuff as well using the full-featured container app, but I haven't bothered yet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Klyith posted:

I just turn on first-party isolation and every domain I visit gets its own "container". I'm told it can break logins on some sites but I haven't encountered any problems at all.

That plus uBlock Origin and Cookie AutoDelete makes it a lot harder for trackers to keep tabs on me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powered Descent posted:

I just turn on first-party isolation and every domain I visit gets its own "container". I'm told it can break logins on some sites but I haven't encountered any problems at all.

That plus uBlock Origin and Cookie AutoDelete makes it a lot harder for trackers to keep tabs on me.

I've had problems with it when it comes to logging into my ISP to watch streaming sports. I use chrome at that point for it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use containers for Amazon, Google and Facebook and otherwise set Forget Me Not to auto delete cookies as I close tabs, with reddit and SA whitelisted. I have no problems with any websites. I used to use NoScript but it broke a LOT of poo poo and whitelisting everything was hit-or-miss still.

End of the day, I just hope that my pihole, Adguard, containers, and cookie deleter is enough to keep me reasonably private/safe.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jokes posted:

I use containers for Amazon, Google and Facebook and otherwise set Forget Me Not to auto delete cookies as I close tabs, with reddit and SA whitelisted. I have no problems with any websites. I used to use NoScript but it broke a LOT of poo poo and whitelisting everything was hit-or-miss still.

End of the day, I just hope that my pihole, Adguard, containers, and cookie deleter is enough to keep me reasonably private/safe.

What is AdGuard, an extension? Use uBlock Origin imo, guaranteed to be more efficient and block more.

Also, what is the intended function of the Pihole if you’re using an ad blocker in-browser?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wooger posted:

What is AdGuard, an extension? Use uBlock Origin imo, guaranteed to be more efficient and block more.

Also, what is the intended function of the Pihole if you’re using an ad blocker in-browser?

uBlock seems to have google analytics and related stuff permanently whitelisted. Pihole is an added layer of blocking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jokes posted:

I love NoScript, but good lord can it it take some messing about to get some sites working.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

iospace posted:

uBlock seems to have google analytics and related stuff permanently whitelisted. Pihole is an added layer of blocking.

As far as I know, uBlock doesn't have any hidden whitelist - it's all part of whatever filters you have subscribed/set up. Regarding Google Analytics in particular, there appears to be a neutered script redirect to minimize page breakage, and Firefox treats AMO as a privileged site and prevents all WebExtensions from modifying page elements there.

If you think Google Analytics is still working where it shouldn't be after filters are applied I'm sure people would be interested in knowing so they can fix the filters.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The comment on the redirect is two years old and probably needs to be followed up on to see if it's still in the deployed version of the extension.

iospace posted:

uBlock Origin (which is not the same thing as just uBlock, which I wouldn't put it past to do something like this) blocks Google Analytics just fine on my end?

But also I turned on most of the optional blocklists (other than uBlock Experimental and the regional ones).

It doesn't block Google APIs, sure, but as pervasive as Google's become, blocking those is almost 'disable Javascript' levels of 'well that about wraps it up for the Web'.

Did you check the My filters, My rules and Whitelist tabs in its dashboard for stray entries? Or backup and then reset uBlock Origin from its Settings tab.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 27, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love NoScript, but good lord can it it take some messing about to get some sites working.

The Tragedy of NoScript

*website doesn't work*
"Okay, let's temporarily allow scripts from this domain."
*website still doesn't work*
"Hmm... let's temporarily allow this CDN and this one that I think has something to do with video."
"Dang it. Okay, I'll just set all to temporarily trusted."
"Really? Eleven more domains asking for permissions now? Fine, temporarily trust all, AGAIN."
"gently caress it, disable all restrictions for this tab. I don't care."
"God drat it. I give up, let's try it in Chrome."
*website works*
:ughh:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hot tip for android firefox users: the app still gets janky over time, just much slower than it used to before quantum. it's a little more insidious too, because one of the things that used to alert me to slowdown (lag in the appearance of the search and search-history boxes when you start typing in the address bar) doesn't happen anymore. so if your browser seems slow and even some of your other apps do too, mysteriously, look into clearing stuff in-app or even clearing the app data/cache through the OS mechanism.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Try uMatrix, from the uBlock Origin author. Does the same script blocking as NoScript and some of the cross site stuff, but the interface for turning stuff back on is much better.

It doesn't cover everything noscript does, but it's much simpler and faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wooger posted:

There's an extension and an app you can load on your PC that applies your block lists computerwide. It also allows for more functionality. It has a nice UI and it's not shady, in fact the founder has (had?) a blog where he'd do little investigations into random apps and extensions to expose privacy violations like phoning home.

PiHole (and the adguard app) allow for another layer of protection from bullshit in case something gets through or is blocked by a different protocol. Pihole also can't do what browser blockers do like element hiding, and browser blockers can't block network activity from behind the scenes well like a PiHole can.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EoRaptor posted:

Try uMatrix, from the uBlock Origin author. Does the same script blocking as NoScript and some of the cross site stuff, but the interface for turning stuff back on is much better.

It doesn't cover everything noscript does, but it's much simpler and faster.

Or just turn on dynamic blocking in uBlock Origin. The way it works is fairly fast to understand if you have experience with NoScript.

It's in the addon settings, under Settings as "I am an advanced user".

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
I like and use uBlock Origin - can't browse without it.

But gently caress me if the Dynamic Filtering UI makes sense. It's god-awful. Surely there must be a clearer way of expressing it?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sergeant Rock posted:

I like and use uBlock Origin - can't browse without it.

But gently caress me if the Dynamic Filtering UI makes sense. It's god-awful. Surely there must be a clearer way of expressing it?

Unless you use it without learning how it works, I don't see what information isn't clearly readable from the UI? It's probably not perfect but it seems completely serviceable to me.

Read fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 28, 2018

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Huh, I just realized that mobile Firefox's Reading List is completely inaccessible from desktop instances of Firefox. It looks like Mozilla has no intention of bridging this gap - I found a bug in Firefox's Bugzilla (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1082011) but it was closed three years ago; I couldn't find anything more recent. I'm guessing their acquisition and integration of Pocket probably did away with their Reading List ambitions?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

IAmKale posted:

Huh, I just realized that mobile Firefox's Reading List is completely inaccessible from desktop instances of Firefox. It looks like Mozilla has no intention of bridging this gap - I found a bug in Firefox's Bugzilla (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1082011) but it was closed three years ago; I couldn't find anything more recent. I'm guessing their acquisition and integration of Pocket probably did away with their Reading List ambitions?

Pocket is a Mozilla joint now. They don't need to pull a Microsoft with the mobile reading list.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jokes posted:

There's an extension and an app you can load on your PC that applies your block lists computerwide. It also allows for more functionality. It has a nice UI and it's not shady, in fact the founder has (had?) a blog where he'd do little investigations into random apps and extensions to expose privacy violations like phoning home.

PiHole (and the adguard app) allow for another layer of protection from bullshit in case something gets through or is blocked by a different protocol. Pihole also can't do what browser blockers do like element hiding, and browser blockers can't block network activity from behind the scenes well like a PiHole can.

A: I don’t understand how a desktop app can see what content my browser is accessing and apply lists. Firefox e.g. has an https connection to a site. uBlock Origin is inside the browser, so it can see the content, analyze & modify it as needed with the blocklists.

How can any app outside the browser see what’s being loaded other than simple network requests by domain?
Same for ad blocking.

Unless there’s some facility I’m missing, AdGuard desktop will be garbage compared to uBlock in-browser.

And the extension uses at least 3x the CPU vs uBlock Origin.

B: Re Pihole, I don’t understand what you mean by “blocking network activity behind the scenes”. Do you mean acting as a firewall? Do you mean detecting outgoing connections from your network?

Other than that, uBlock Origin can certainly block any network activity coming in to your browser.

I *guess* I can see the point in Pihole/Adsuck or similar network level blockers if you use a bunch of devices that can’t run an adblocker at all, but given that they’re much worse than the blockers in a desktop browser or Phone browser (iPhone Safari), and also more hassle to disable when something breaks, I won’t bother.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

wooger posted:

A: I don’t understand how a desktop app can see what content my browser is accessing and apply lists. Firefox e.g. has an https connection to a site. uBlock Origin is inside the browser, so it can see the content, analyze & modify it as needed with the blocklists.

How can any app outside the browser see what’s being loaded other than simple network requests by domain?

Maybe they install a local MITM proxy and mess with your certificate trust store.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

wooger posted:

Https hides the content of a page when it is in transit. But the downloading is only part of what happens with a webpage. It is then interpreted and rendered and scripts are executed by the browser. If any of this implies making additional web requests (ie. for images, additional scripts, whatever), then those requests are as visible to the desktop app/pihole as the original request for the original page was. Unless uBlock origin prevents these additional requests from taking place and exiting the browser in the first place, a desktop app could prevent them from exiting your computer and absent that, a pihole can prevent them from exiting your network. All based on all requested urls basically being visible, because that's how things work.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wooger posted:

B: Re Pihole, I don’t understand what you mean by “blocking network activity behind the scenes”. Do you mean acting as a firewall? Do you mean detecting outgoing connections from your network?

Other than that, uBlock Origin can certainly block any network activity coming in to your browser.

I *guess* I can see the point in Pihole/Adsuck or similar network level blockers if you use a bunch of devices that can’t run an adblocker at all, but given that they’re much worse than the blockers in a desktop browser or Phone browser (iPhone Safari), and also more hassle to disable when something breaks, I won’t bother.

so you're saying the only computer program or phone app you use is the web browser. also you don't have any smart devices. also you don't use any modern commercial operating system on any device. why yes, someone who, like, only uses firefox on a stripped down linux install would not have much benefit for pihole. however, for every person in the world who doesn't have your incredibly niche use case, pihole has its uses and benefits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

wooger posted:

Same for ad blocking.

Unless there’s some facility I’m missing, AdGuard desktop will be garbage compared to uBlock in-browser.

And the extension uses at least 3x the CPU vs uBlock Origin.

PiHole is just a DNS server for your local network that has a blacklist of domains (advertising, malware, etc) for which it won't give the valid IP. That's all. So requests your web browser makes for nasty-ad-trackers.com/annoying-blinking-ad.gif and requests your IoT toaster makes for botnet-control-network.ru won't connect.

Never used the AdGuard app, not sure what it does. But it's probably something similar, except just the local PC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can also just not buy a $35 garbage computer and instead use hosts files or set up your router to do the same thing. :shrug:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

This started popping up on random webpages but also just whenever I start firefox with no page loaded yet:

Anyone else experienced this, should I get rid of Ublock?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Is that an actual Internet security application you have installed, or is that the malware?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's hitting false positives due to the uBlock filter cache.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks, yep the popup itself is from my antivirus, just the source is a concern.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Avalerion posted:

Thanks, yep the popup itself is from my antivirus, just the source is a concern.

whatever BSBT INTERNET SECURITY is, it probably sucks

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Antivirus software is bad etc., but it's "ESET" :lol:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why would you buy an antivirus software. Use Windows Defender, if anything at all.

You can enable protection against adware (PUAProtection) and Network Protection (against dangerous URLs) for added security
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/enable-network-protection

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Klyith posted:

This is undoubtedly true. I’d trust Gorhill’s competence & integrity far above any antivirus software I’ve used - it’s all sketchy and causes more problems than it solves.

If this is your personal PC, junk the antivirus and use Windows security essentials.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so you're saying the only computer program or phone app you use is the web browser. also you don't have any smart devices. also you don't use any modern commercial operating system on any device. why yes, someone who, like, only uses firefox on a stripped down linux install would not have much benefit for pihole. however, for every person in the world who doesn't have your incredibly niche use case, pihole has its uses and benefits

The only apps I use that access the web are web browsers, yes. Every app with a web browser embedded on iPhone is using the same Safari ad blocking.

Other apps access the internet, but aren’t going to be randomly accessing ads (or showing any), and anyway are likely using secure connections that can’t be messed with. e.g. iPhone apps use pinned certificates (or whatever the latest equivalent is).

Blocking things would likely break stuff.

I can’t see any route outside of web browsing where Pihole would be of any benefit to me, and that’s covered.

Does piHole not cause anti adblocking to trigger on many common sites, stopping them from working?

TalkLittle posted:

Maybe they install a local MITM proxy and mess with your certificate trust store.

Nah, that’d be ropey & prone to failure ( I used to do that for web/app analytics debugging in a former job) . I’m sure they just block connections by domain as others have said.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Avalerion posted:

This started popping up on random webpages but also just whenever I start firefox with no page loaded yet:

Anyone else experienced this, should I get rid of Ublock?

Got the same thing on a PC at work today. 99,99% false positive.

wooger posted:

This is undoubtedly true. I’d trust Gorhill’s competence & integrity far above any antivirus software I’ve used - it’s all sketchy and causes more problems than it solves.
If this is your personal PC, junk the antivirus and use Windows security essentials.

yeah, this

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Security Essentials is Defender on Windows 10.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

ESET is probably the only company I'd ever buy antivirus from, so I'd say they're trustworthy overall, but it's probably just a false positive.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

wooger posted:

bronin posted:

yeah, this

Huh. For some reason, I was under the impression that there wasn't a pre-Windows 10 equivilant, and that you'd need ant AV program. I guess I can ditch Avast, and get this. Thanks!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Any reason I can't see Tweets linked in threads on SA when using FireFox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OhFunny posted:

Any reason I can't see Tweets linked in threads on SA when using FireFox?

You may have tracking protection blocking it now.