Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have 80 days in a gym I've only gotten 5 victories in. Now sure I've dumped my mon in when it was already flipped plenty of times but I routinely get 2-3 day holds in the gym. Just live in rural land :)

I think you get 1-2 more drops per spin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I remember back on the squirtle community day, certain pokestops were found to give quests which always led to a shiny squirtle. What was up with that? How did people know about it? And do all quests work like that? For example, are there some pokestops out there which give "evolve 3 sunkern or natu" quests which always lead to a shiny pineco?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dragonstoned posted:

They have different colours

When you encounter one in the wild little stars appear to indicate its shiney. HOWEVER there is currently a camera bug that starts you facing the wrong way in the encounter and you miss that bit of the animation.

Most of them you can tell instantly but some are a bit lame with how subtle the change is.

Got any screenshots you could use as an example?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Beachcomber posted:

Can it really be OK to use a third party peripheral? I don't want to get banned.

The Go+ is an official product and is supported in-game.

While the Go-tcha is indeed a third party version, the game cannot tell the difference between the two products. It has the same features as the Go+ and isn't cheating the game in the slightest, the only advantages it has over the official Go+ is a better battery and an option to perform actions without requiring your input.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Jesus the time required to go from silver to gold in a gym is nuts. Pretty sure it would take me at least half a year at this rate, and that's with pretty frequent fighting / berrying / holding the gyms for hundreds of combined hours. Is there actually a noticeable difference in what drops when you spin a golden gym?

Also, are Corsolas supposed to be rare? They're apparently one of the research quest rewards, but I've caught like 7 of them today alone. They seem completely useless, though I assume they evolve into something else in one of the later gens.

Yeah, I think getting gold requires at least ten times the amount of points it takes to get silver. It just happens over time. Your best source of points is time defending. I reliably get 7-10 items per gold gym spin.

And yeah, Corsola is a regional spawn and lots of people will want to trade for one if you meet up with players outside its spawn area.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

So I remember back on the squirtle community day, certain pokestops were found to give quests which always led to a shiny squirtle. What was up with that? How did people know about it? And do all quests work like that? For example, are there some pokestops out there which give "evolve 3 sunkern or natu" quests which always lead to a shiny pineco?

Certain pokestops do give out the same quests to people, but they no longer always lead to a shiny pineco. Now, the pineco shiny odds are random.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

HookShot posted:

Certain pokestops do give out the same quests to people, but they no longer always lead to a shiny pineco. Now, the pineco shiny odds are random.

What?

All pokestops give the same quests to all people. They change daily. I think the shiny sunglasses squirtle quests are the only time there’s ever been a guaranteed way to earn shinies. Every other method is down to RNG the moment you open the encounter.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been getting back into Pokemon Go for the last couple of months so I bought a PoGo Plus to spin stops for me while I crawl through downtown traffic in the mornings. After not being able to find any locally I bought one on Ebay, and it's probably a counterfeit but holy poo poo it's the highest quality counterfeit I've ever seen. There is no way I would be able to tell it's a fake at all except for one thing: They didn't include the vibrator motor. It has all the markings and design elements of the authentic ones as far as I can tell from pictures and comparisons online. The packaging looked equally authentic as well. No idea if it works like it should yet, but I would bet it does. How widely counterfeited are these things?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

My Imaginary GF posted:

Got any screenshots you could use as an example?

At least with the starters the evolved forms look a bit different, the flowers on evolved Bulby are yellow instead of red and the evolved Squirts go purple

but wtf is going on here?

What's even different? I think it's slightly brighter? could only tell it was a shiney from the screenshot because of the stars

The new ones for the the Johto event, Pineco is fine but the others...

and here is a better look at what the stars look like when you encounter one

Ok now the real reason I came here, is Articuno for Alolan Vulpix a "fair trade" ? if not who's getting conned here?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dragonstoned posted:

Ok now the real reason I came here, is Articuno for Alolan Vulpix a "fair trade" ? if not who's getting conned here?

I caught one Articuno via the research task thing. I hatched two alohan Vulpix and evolved to the most rad looking Ninetales.

Theoretically you could hatch more Vulpix still but Articuno coming back? Not sure when that would happen so if I had to pick I'd say the person getting the Articuno is "winning" the trade.

But if you both need/want the mon and it's not the only one you have that you are trading then I would do that trade.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Solid trade for someone who missed artichoke day and someone with poo poo egg luck.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Cool I guess I'll just ask the guy then, just wanted to make sure it wasn't too ridiculous to ask for a legendary.

Although knowing murphy's law he'll probs hatch a vulpix the day before we hit ultra friends or something lol

Edit: haha he's just pissed I got ANOTHER one (it's actually my 4th :P) but looks like he's keen to do it :D

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 28, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat Ho-Oh, 4 raids and zero catches.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

drat Ho-Oh, 4 raids and zero catches.

I’m 3/3 I’ll trade you one

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Is there a known issue with the "Catch a pokemon 3 days in a row" quest in the Celebi line? I've caught a brazillion pokemon both yesterday and today but it still thinks I'm only at 1 day in a row so far. I did get up to that 1 day earlier and then had a few days of no PokeGo (yes…that's a thing), not sure if that screwed it up or what.

Of course, since it's special research it's not like I can delete it and hope to get it again to reset it, like I might with a bugged field research :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

I’m 3/3 I’ll trade you one
you are so far away though

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Man I really want a solid gold forretress

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

bitprophet posted:

Is there a known issue with the "Catch a pokemon 3 days in a row" quest in the Celebi line?

Yep, it's hosed

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

you are so far away though

4/4 :dukedog:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Wheany posted:

Yep, it's hosed

In a "cannot progress" sense or just a "it's lying but you will get credit on the third day anyways" sense? Please be the latter.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
birb you are a rude dude

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

bitprophet posted:

In a "cannot progress" sense or just a "it's lying but you will get credit on the third day anyways" sense? Please be the latter.

Many people report being unable to progress at all

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just scraped a raid together with 5 people and caught one, yay

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

I just scraped a raid together with 5 people and caught one, yay

:toot:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Ho-oh was pretty easy for me. Went 8/8 on the catches but the one I always have trouble with are Chikoritas. They break berried ultraballs like its nobodies business then zip awap. Way lower catch rate for me than any other starter 'mon. They also don't show much outside this event. I have hordes of Totodiles and Cindaquills but not the little green bastards.

Actually all the grass starters I seem to see at a drastically lower rate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ho-ohs in the lowest base catch rate tier in the game at 2%. It's tough even with great/excellent curves.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Here's my Go-tcha story: today on my way to work, my go-tcha got a new quest from a stop and completed it automatically (it was catch 10 pokemon)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I had the day off from work tomorrow, so the GF and I decided to go out at Midnight and finish off our respective Celebi quests. Took a minute, but I finally managed to get this little Beansprout to show up:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow, ended up getting a 100% Gastly. So now that I have something worth levelling, I just evolve twice and power up til max level?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Wow, ended up getting a 100% Gastly. So now that I have something worth levelling, I just evolve twice and power up til max level?

You could go full sperg and figure out the last level where it gets any extra damage, but I'd just slam candy at it till you can't any more. Maybe use a couple of TMs on it if it doesn't have ghost moves after you evolve it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Pretty much yeah, and hope that it gets a good move set (or you have TMs to change them). I’ve got a 100% Gengar too and it can do a lot of damage, but can’t take much.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Sounds good. Gengar is my favourite Pokémon of all time so even if he ends up being only sorta useful I still feel the need to max him. :3:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

Man I really want a solid gold forretress

I thought that too when I got a shiny Pineco from a raid but after I evolved it, it looks like a big ol' turd.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Raids are back to Regirock here, at 1PM UK time. If Ho-oh is still there for you maybe try and do what you can before lunchtime...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BGrifter posted:

Congrats, have all my jealousy!

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Untrustable posted:

I thought that too when I got a shiny Pineco from a raid but after I evolved it, it looks like a big ol' turd.

This is why I refuse to evolve my level 1 shiny pineco

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Noxville posted:

Pretty much yeah, and hope that it gets a good move set (or you have TMs to change them). I’ve got a 100% Gengar too and it can do a lot of damage, but can’t take much.

I have a couple legacy Shadow Claw Gengars and they are so good at murdering stuff weak to them. :hellyeah:

Also, the Shadow Claw effect lines up perfectly with Gengar's movement when he attacks. It's oddly satisfying.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just caught my first Absol. 84 IV. Not bad.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DizzyBum posted:

I have a couple legacy Shadow Claw Gengars and they are so good at murdering stuff weak to them. :hellyeah:

Also, the Shadow Claw effect lines up perfectly with Gengar's movement when he attacks. It's oddly satisfying.

I have three Shadow Claw Gengar's from the launch days. One has Shadow Ball for his special, and the other two have Dark Pulse. Guides online say that Shadow Claw + Shadow Ball is the way to go, but I was curious if the Dark Pulse Gengars have any value?

Also what do goons use or where do you all go to evaluate and read up on the gym meta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My almost perfect Gengar is a Hex/Shadowball because I didn't catch enough gastly before Shadow Claw went away.

Here's the website I refer to most for meta stuff: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon/94

• Locked thread