Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You don't, but there are some exit points that work poorly with Netflix. I'm in Europe and found the Dutch exit points work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Collateral Damage posted:

You don't, but there are some exit points that work poorly with Netflix. I'm in Europe and found the Dutch exit points work well.

Yeah my understanding was that if I had a US endpoint it would (broadly speaking) work fine for US content.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah my understanding was that if I had a US endpoint it would (broadly speaking) work fine for US content.

Netflix has been quietly blackholing IP ranges associated with public VPNs. I don't know they've whack-a-moled a huge number of them, so your YMMV.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

also you need to chose a canadian exit point to browse amazon

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
An email came in at end of day Thursday from a teacher, sent to me and two people from my department that handle the "who gets what equipment" stuff for one of the schools I take care of. Teach was wanting to know where the other 8 brand new ThinkPads were that he's supposed to be getting. He only has 20, there are supposed to be 28.

This is particularly bad for a number of reasons:
1) he's supposed to have a secure cart/charging station that all of this stuff is kept in, but in his case he'd just moved from the third story down to the basement. The moving crew decided not to move his ancient, gargantuan beast of a cart with their motorized stair climber, and as such they ended up at the bottom of the stairwell with a crumpled wreck that was missing it's wheels and had doors that would no longer close. So that was nonviable. A replacement was on the way. I was amazed nobody was hurt.
2) it's 2 weeks after school started. Why is this just coming up now? They were delivered a solid month ago at this point.
3) I'd DEFINITELY imaged 28 laptops, and dropped off 28 laptops in 4 neat and easily-countable stacks of 7, and even came back and checked them again each day for several days after I'd delivered them, and made sure that his door was locked. I was hoping to run into the teacher since they show up and start getting their rooms prepped about then, but we kept missing each other. So I just tossed him an e-mail basically saying "Your cart is hosed, but there's a new one coming, I rigged some makeshift charging stations instead, please keep your room secured in the meantime"
4) Here's where I really hosed up: I delivered them a couple weeks before school started, which means the room was empty. So I was the only one that witnessed that all 28 were delivered.

So, yeah, missing equipment is pretty much exactly what I was dreading would happen there. I spent a large chunk of the evening running through nightmare scenarios of how 8 laptops could have walked out of the building and how much poo poo I'm going to have to eat to account for them, regardless of whether it's my fault or not. Meanwhile, that evening the two folks that handle the equipment allocation decide we should have a meeting URGENT STAT FIRST THING tomorrow with the principal to explain that there's potentially about $4,000 worth of laptops that have mysteriously evaporated.

I come in the next morning and check SCCM while the meeting was starting, maybe I can see if they'd checked in to our network recently, which would at least indicate that they're probably still in the building (because the teachers at this school are vultures and screw each other over constantly). Sure enough, there are 8 PCs that have not checked in since I'd delivered them. FUUUUUUUUCK. The meeting went about as I'd expected, which is to say, not well. Pretty much all eyes are on me and really all I can do is basically say "Hey, they were delivered to a secure space, after that, it's the teacher/school's responsibility to make sure that your equipment doesn't grow legs" which despite being true, is really pretty unhelpful at the moment, so I didn't actually say it. It is decided that at the end of the day, all the teachers will tear the school apart from top to bottom looking for missing laptops. Which is also unlikely to be helpful, because not only is it Friday and everybody will want to leave, but really it's probably a teacher that's most likely to have moved and/or taken them, so... fox guarding the henhouse and all that.

After enduring about 40 minutes of silent reproach from the principal and lots of helpful advice but also plenty of "lol ur so hosed" from my two coworkers, I decide that maybe I should actually just start with the room they're missing from. I head down and he has his laptops stacked neatly in the back of the room. They've been moved since I delivered them, but only by a few feet. There are definitely 20 instead of 28. I put my own laptop down on top of one of several vacant student desks nearby, squat down to the pile of laptops in front of me, and start checking property control numbers against my inventory. I swivel back to my own laptop to key some things in, and now I'm eye-level with the opening on this vacant student desk, which.... I now notice just happens to have 8 laptops crammed deep inside of it, for some reason. Could I actually be this absolutely loving ridiculously lucky? There is no goddamned way I'm this lucky. I am never lucky. But yep, sure enough, there's my 8 missing devices.

Several lessons for me here:
1) nobody gets any equipment anymore unless they are present and can acknowledge that they've gotten what they should. This should have been obvious, and I totally dropped the ball here.
2) I'm not agreeing to any URGENT STAT FIRST THING meetings about a problem anymore unless I've had a chance to at least even loving glance at the problem first. This was a new thing for me, so hey, now I know.
3) Users are all maniacs hell-bent on wreaking havoc on themselves and everything and everyone around them. I already knew this, but it's good to have it reinforced from time to time.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ticket 115539 has been assigned to you or your group regarding:
[ no Description entered ]

Thanks, very helpful.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

ticket 115539 has been assigned to you or your group regarding:
[ no Description entered ]

Thanks, very helpful.

If there's no description, there's no problem. Just close it and congrats on a job well done.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mustache Ride posted:

Why don't you just spin your own. Algo let's you spin up your own using a cloud provider of your choice. Then it generates all the keys and profiles for iOS/Android/windows/Mac/Linux, etc.

You can build your own, I do that on a VPS with OpenVPN on Linux. It's a lot of initial steps if you do it by hand, but it's easy once you get it flying. It's nice to have cert-based two-way authentication, but I imagine a lot of the public places do that, too. I do realize that since it's on a VPS, it's not as secure as I'd like it to be, but eh, $4/mo is hard to beat. Someday I'll build and colo a box, but...

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

quote:

This job has been running for about 90 hours now, the average time that it takes to complete is between 155 and 165 hours.

Due to the power outage and subsequent san issues the job was started on Thursday instead of Friday night so If everything goes well it should be done sometime late Wednesday or early Thursday.
I will inform you when the job completes so that a window can be planned for this maintenance.

This is a backup job for a site that loses power on the regular....

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

This is a backup job for a site that loses power on the regular....

Someone needs to split that job up into multiple smaller jobs

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nominal posted:

An email came in at end of day Thursday from a teacher, sent to me and two people from my department that handle the "who gets what equipment" stuff for one of the schools I take care of. Teach was wanting to know where the other 8 brand new ThinkPads were that he's supposed to be getting. He only has 20, there are supposed to be 28.

This is particularly bad for a number of reasons:
1) he's supposed to have a secure cart/charging station that all of this stuff is kept in, but in his case he'd just moved from the third story down to the basement. The moving crew decided not to move his ancient, gargantuan beast of a cart with their motorized stair climber, and as such they ended up at the bottom of the stairwell with a crumpled wreck that was missing it's wheels and had doors that would no longer close. So that was nonviable. A replacement was on the way. I was amazed nobody was hurt.
2) it's 2 weeks after school started. Why is this just coming up now? They were delivered a solid month ago at this point.
3) I'd DEFINITELY imaged 28 laptops, and dropped off 28 laptops in 4 neat and easily-countable stacks of 7, and even came back and checked them again each day for several days after I'd delivered them, and made sure that his door was locked. I was hoping to run into the teacher since they show up and start getting their rooms prepped about then, but we kept missing each other. So I just tossed him an e-mail basically saying "Your cart is hosed, but there's a new one coming, I rigged some makeshift charging stations instead, please keep your room secured in the meantime"
4) Here's where I really hosed up: I delivered them a couple weeks before school started, which means the room was empty. So I was the only one that witnessed that all 28 were delivered.

So, yeah, missing equipment is pretty much exactly what I was dreading would happen there. I spent a large chunk of the evening running through nightmare scenarios of how 8 laptops could have walked out of the building and how much poo poo I'm going to have to eat to account for them, regardless of whether it's my fault or not. Meanwhile, that evening the two folks that handle the equipment allocation decide we should have a meeting URGENT STAT FIRST THING tomorrow with the principal to explain that there's potentially about $4,000 worth of laptops that have mysteriously evaporated.

I come in the next morning and check SCCM while the meeting was starting, maybe I can see if they'd checked in to our network recently, which would at least indicate that they're probably still in the building (because the teachers at this school are vultures and screw each other over constantly). Sure enough, there are 8 PCs that have not checked in since I'd delivered them. FUUUUUUUUCK. The meeting went about as I'd expected, which is to say, not well. Pretty much all eyes are on me and really all I can do is basically say "Hey, they were delivered to a secure space, after that, it's the teacher/school's responsibility to make sure that your equipment doesn't grow legs" which despite being true, is really pretty unhelpful at the moment, so I didn't actually say it. It is decided that at the end of the day, all the teachers will tear the school apart from top to bottom looking for missing laptops. Which is also unlikely to be helpful, because not only is it Friday and everybody will want to leave, but really it's probably a teacher that's most likely to have moved and/or taken them, so... fox guarding the henhouse and all that.

After enduring about 40 minutes of silent reproach from the principal and lots of helpful advice but also plenty of "lol ur so hosed" from my two coworkers, I decide that maybe I should actually just start with the room they're missing from. I head down and he has his laptops stacked neatly in the back of the room. They've been moved since I delivered them, but only by a few feet. There are definitely 20 instead of 28. I put my own laptop down on top of one of several vacant student desks nearby, squat down to the pile of laptops in front of me, and start checking property control numbers against my inventory. I swivel back to my own laptop to key some things in, and now I'm eye-level with the opening on this vacant student desk, which.... I now notice just happens to have 8 laptops crammed deep inside of it, for some reason. Could I actually be this absolutely loving ridiculously lucky? There is no goddamned way I'm this lucky. I am never lucky. But yep, sure enough, there's my 8 missing devices.

Several lessons for me here:
1) nobody gets any equipment anymore unless they are present and can acknowledge that they've gotten what they should. This should have been obvious, and I totally dropped the ball here.
2) I'm not agreeing to any URGENT STAT FIRST THING meetings about a problem anymore unless I've had a chance to at least even loving glance at the problem first. This was a new thing for me, so hey, now I know.
3) Users are all maniacs hell-bent on wreaking havoc on themselves and everything and everyone around them. I already knew this, but it's good to have it reinforced from time to time.

Is it possible that the teacher hid them there so that once they got declared 'lost' he could walk off with them without too much worry about getting caught?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Is it possible that the teacher hid them there so that once they got declared 'lost' he could walk off with them without too much worry about getting caught?

Everything is possible. In my district we have cameras all over the hallways. Every classroom entrance has at least one camera covering it. I’d hop on the cameras and start asking questions to everyone who’s entered the room since I’d delivered the laptops.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ahahahaha. My poor officemate. She returned a re-imaged system to someone late this morning. He just called.

Apparently he somehow borked installing Acrobat Pro from our web portal so badly that going to Windows Recovery seemed like a good idea. That took out all the corporate stuff and enough security updates that I'd put his lifetime at 15 minutes on a public network. Five hours from taking delivery to needing work again is pretty impressive on this campus.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Someone needs to split that job up into multiple smaller jobs

Well, they're going to have to start over. A "power blip" knocked everything offline again.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:yotj:

Total raise over 4.5 years of working here: 2.76%
Immediate raise from moving elsewhere: 49%, plus potential bonuses of another 15% on top of that

The exit interview is going to be short.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Well, they're going to have to start over. A "power blip" knocked everything offline again.

Put that poo poo on a hard drive and go to Fed Ex.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

Everything is possible. In my district we have cameras all over the hallways. Every classroom entrance has at least one camera covering it. I’d hop on the cameras and start asking questions to everyone who’s entered the room since I’d delivered the laptops.

Someone was definitely planning on walking home with those, and this is 100% worth doing if you've got the cameras.

Weatherman posted:

:yotj:

Total raise over 4.5 years of working here: 2.76%
Immediate raise from moving elsewhere: 49%, plus potential bonuses of another 15% on top of that

The exit interview is going to be short.

Where's your loyalty?!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If no one knows you found them, replace them with dye packs. Then let it be known they were written off and replacements ordered. Stand by for hilarity.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

Where's your loyalty?!

It's over there. You just can't see it under the pile of cash money OP is getting.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I feel really sad for people who actually feel loyal to their employer.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

spankmeister posted:

I feel really sad for people who actually feel loyal to their employer.

My youngest co-worker is torn between being loyal to our manager because he gave him a job and cursing him out every 15 minutes for basically being the absent father.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm as loyal to my employer as my employer is to me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm as loyal to my employer as my employer is to me.

So actively plotting as many 'cost saving' events as possible, via the liberation of office supplies, furniture and computer equipment as you think you can get away with?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Your employer is a Blockbuster video store and you're only a VHS. The minute Titanic comes out you're going in that bargain bin, especially if you've been there a long time.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I quit my job and put in my two weeks last week...

I also bought a cake for my departure. Will post pictures tomorrow (or tonight) when I get it.

No :toot: though. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy god I am just about ready for infrastructure tech companies to come up with a new naming scheme

"Our Blackduck scan turned up a problem with the Bluecat entry for the Redfish API"

:fuckoff:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Holy god I am just about ready for infrastructure tech companies to come up with a new naming scheme

"Our Blackduck scan turned up a problem with the Bluecat entry for the Redfish API"

:fuckoff:
Onefish - available(?)
Twofish - taken
Redfish - taken
Bluefish - taken

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Fireeye
Wildfire
Firepower

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A ticket ending in -69 came in. Commercial power is out, building failed over to backup generator successfully and is reporting 420 gallons of fuel remaining.

Please let me be the first.

nice

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aunt Beth posted:

Onefish - available(?)
Twofish - taken
Redfish - taken
Bluefish - taken

I worked for an ISP startup in the mid 90s and no joke all our servers were pulled from Seuss. OneFish and TwoFish were DNS. RedFish was the router connecting to UUNET, BlueFish was the backup. ThingOne, ThingTwo, ThingThree, etc... were all servers that were stuffed with RISCom serial boards managing the dial-up modems. I wanna say GreenEggs was the SMTP server and SamIAm was the NNTP server, but I start losing the thread trying to remember which name mapped to which service/server.

That place was run by the seat of our pants and offered PPP and lower-cost SLIP accounts. It was actually very successful for a regional ISP until cable came along and gutted the dial-up ISP business.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Naming servers fun names, was fun.

We did all Tool songs until a customer complained.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aunt Beth posted:

Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.
I'm at a company that is transitioning from still-small-feeling-but-medium-sized to large (despite having fewer people) and we are going from naming servers after xmen to simply "letters01" "letters 02" ect but I have no idea if it is the size or the new management.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's nice when they're all just interchangeable workstations.

The student computing clusters at my college were all named in batches, so you could tell what kind of machines they were based on the theme, but they were otherwise interchangeable with shared storage and common login environments and such.

Blender settings
Seven Deadly Sins were all HP Apollo 9000/735s (these were so kickin rad at the time)
Amino acids
Phobias (these were a bunch of SGI Indys, "Looks like triskaideka is open, I'm gonna head to the lab")

A big hedge fund I recently worked for decided that they wanted to label every single desktop box with a memorable name, not just a serial number. That meant coming up with over 2000 names from a single theme. They picked foods. Which is a pretty good idea, since there are basically infinite varieties. But you end up with like KEFIRCHEESE and ZIMA and CHOLEBHATURE

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello, it's your friendly neighborhood NOC here.

Your cute server names are fun and all, but when BATMAN goes down in 1AM and there's no documentation on what it actually is, I'm waking your rear end up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Renegret posted:

Hello, it's your friendly neighborhood NOC here.

Your cute server names are fun and all, but when BATMAN goes down in 1AM and there's no documentation on what it actually is, I'm waking your rear end up.

Documenting the server and knowing what it's named are two different things

It was fun saying, "Just add that to Superman he can take it."

Naming a server with 10 hard drives in it 'Godzilla'

We had a huge west coast healthcare client that named all their mailservers after sports cars and this wasn't that long ago. Corvette, etc.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

As the guy who isn't knee deep in servers everyday I'm thankful ours are just a bunch of letters that convay where and what it does, I get enough grief for not knowing every dumb step an email takes through the system etc.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem is that I work for an enormous company and we have tens of thousands of pieces of equipment floating around in the wild. It's bad enough that a server once got a virus and sending out tons of spam. We turned off port 25 to mitigate the impact, but nobody knew what the hell it was, what it did, and who owned it because it didn't follow any naming conventions. After 3 days we ended up just turning it off and crossing our fingers. To this day we have no idea what it was or who owned it. I'm all for giving your poo poo dumb names, I did the same for my own personal lab. The problem is when you wont' be the only person touching it.

We just went through an acquisition where they had no standardized naming scheme for any of their network equipment and oh boy it's been real bad. Real real bad. They got 3 different brands of routers in use and you have no way of knowing what kind your logging into until you get in and do a show version.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LethalGeek posted:

As the guy who isn't knee deep in servers everyday I'm thankful ours are just a bunch of letters that convay where and what it does, I get enough grief for not knowing every dumb step an email takes through the system etc.

I think that's a major milestone in admin maturity. Once GANDALF becomes ATLVDC03 life is better for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Some of our remote users use their personal machines with a VPN to access company resources. And one employee had their VPN misconfigured so their Google Drive was attempting to back up his entire storage through the company connection.

Thus was the infamous "What the hell is GOATLORD and why is it using up all our bandwidth?" email born.