Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Last Chance posted:

I hate him so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

LRTs have an engine on both ends so they can go back and forth on the same track easily, instead of doing some convoluted hyperloop u turn

or, get this, they have one engine and it can reverse. great thing about being on rails really, it doesn't matter if you're pushing or pulling

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the thing that got me about those people who tracked the tail number on his jet is that he went to ireland to the game of thrones set. like, is that something billionaires do? "oh hey producer man my kid wants to see the naked actresses will you give us a tour if we show up next week sometime?" do they just slide the dude some cash like a bouncer? it's ridiculous.

also atomicthumbs is cool attribution is dead hail satan

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lonoxmont posted:

Which is fine for systems where you can ensure you will never have more than one train in the same block at the same time, or two trains approaching each other without a passing track/siding. At least in the (small) metro system in my town, they just have one track on each side of the platforms, one for one direction and one for the opposite. Turnaround loop at each end of the line. Kind of wish they would let people ride during the turnaround, but they make everyone get off of the trains. I guess it has to do with a noise thing? It is pretty noisy from what echoes out of the tunnel.

already engaging in trainchat

...they grow up so fast

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Munkeymon posted:

already engaging in trainchat

...they grow up so fast

lmao

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

ate all the Oreos posted:

im sure computer vision and AI and big gyroscopes could do that just fine, it's a solved problem

just have the trains go up on two wheels to go around each other like in cartoons, problem solved

Unfortunately, you would have to make the tunnels larger to allow clearance for that, assuming you could also solve for keeping the trains from derailing in the process. Since you just made them larger, you now have room for two tracks and the more complex solution you have provided would no longer be needed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the thing that got me about those people who tracked the tail number on his jet is that he went to ireland to the game of thrones set. like, is that something billionaires do? "oh hey producer man my kid wants to see the naked actresses will you give us a tour if we show up next week sometime?" do they just slide the dude some cash like a bouncer? it's ridiculous.

i'm sure you can probably do a tour or something if they're not like, filming. on my way to atlanta a few years back my mom (who was riding with us to go see relatives) had us stop in the little town the walking dead was being filmed in at the time so we could look around, and it was all open :shrug:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what's it like living at the kiddie ride section of an amusement park

Eh, could be worse. Where I live is like right on the edge of needing a metro in the downtown, built-up areas. Doesn't make sense to have a huge sprawling system with how town is laid out, just one line does what we need for now.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Last Chance posted:

I hate him so much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lonoxmont posted:

Unfortunately, you would have to make the tunnels larger to allow clearance for that, assuming you could also solve for keeping the trains from derailing in the process. Since you just made them larger, you now have room for two tracks and the more complex solution you have provided would no longer be needed.

yeah, it's actually something that was done over a hundred years ago called a gyro monorail that looks absolutely terrifying to ride in

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the end goal with them was to have them going insanely fast because they can bank very sharp turns automatically without any special equipment, so that's fun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

winterfell is filmed on location at a castle that is open to the public. its like halfway to the giant's causeway from belfast. really the only section that is recognizable as winterfell without the rest of the set is the long section that overlooks the yard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Ward

also thats nowhere near the route from belfast to the giant's causeway, just two things we did in one day i guess (NI is tiny)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 28, 2018

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Lonoxmont posted:

Eh, could be worse. Where I live is like right on the edge of needing a metro in the downtown, built-up areas. Doesn't make sense to have a huge sprawling system with how town is laid out, just one line does what we need for now.

look at this big boy taking the lollipop train over to his job at the candy cane factory lol

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

yeah, it's actually something that was done over a hundred years ago called a gyro monorail that looks absolutely terrifying to ride in

the end goal with them was to have them going insanely fast because they can bank very sharp turns automatically without any special equipment, so that's fun

:gonk:

Also, not sure how they would pass each other with only one rail between them. Even leaning opposite directions, I think clearance would be an issue.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

look at this big boy taking the lollipop train over to his job at the candy cane factory lol

We can't all live in the big city. :shrug:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
musk confirmed for dahir insaat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m5vWdeTlno

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

lmfao at that fire engine prototype! Must have been some amazing drugs they were on to come up with that. So silly-con valley it hurts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1034483462235975681

im sure this wont make the issue worse

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lonoxmont posted:

Well, to be fair, as long as you have another subway line running the other way running somewhat close to it, and some method of transferring trains from one tunnel to the other at each end, could still work. Still not the best solution, mind you, but theoretically fixable. As I understand it, most actual subway systems tend to run somewhat like this anyways, at least the smaller ones I have personally been on. Can't speak for the larger, more complex ones.

he wants a 14' diameter tunnel because the standard is 28' "and making it 'half' as large means it'll be cheaper"

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/wapnblog/status/1034505092689526784?s=21

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I don't get hating Ol Musky - I am extremely entertained by yet another supposed tech genius imploding on himself in a cloud of farts and stupid tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he wants a 14' diameter tunnel because the standard is 28' "and making it 'half' as large means it'll be cheaper"

didn't he say half as cheap, or am i imagining that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He's human garbage deserving to be guillotined

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

elon musk thinks he can just turn random dirt into bricks, the same way trump thinks the F-35 is literally invisible

real actual day to day life is like a mystery to the bourgeoisie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

even better

How can we reduce the cost of tunneling?

First, reduce the tunnel diameter. The current standard for a one-lane tunnel is approximately 28 feet. By placing vehicles on a stabilized electric skate, the diameter can be reduced to less than 14 feet. Reducing the diameter in half reduces tunneling costs by 3-4 times.

see how far you can read past that point

i made it to "how do i get a tunnel in my city" before i had to stop

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's amazing how far removed these rich bougie fucks are from normal every day life

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

First, reduce the tunnel diameter. The current standard for a one-lane tunnel is approximately 28 feet. By placing vehicles on a stabilized electric skate, the diameter can be reduced to less than 14 feet. Reducing the diameter in half reduces tunneling costs by 3-4 times.

:thunk:

brilliant!!!!!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I don't get hating Ol Musky - I am extremely entertained by yet another supposed tech genius imploding on himself in a cloud of farts and stupid tho

those farts he's huffing are made of exploited labor and billions of dollars in tax subsidies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he's setting his factory employees on fire and crushing parts of their bodies and when they try to unionize or complain about managers using the n word to address black workers he fires them

mob justice is exactly what he deserves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
claiming to be trying to save the earth via green technology while being a major republican donor is also p reprehensible

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey! hey! it's the cost of doin' that business, yeah????

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

but he -had- to, hph

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

hey! hey! it's the cost of doin' that business, yeah????

americans are back on the fuckin pinkerton strike busters and poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

which, given musky's poor understanding of fixed cost wrt tunnel digging, is a suspicious claim.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like compared to most rich people he's not even especially worse, he's just so loving adamant that he's actually a precious star child that's going to be mankind's one great savior who swoops in and saves it from itself while he does it, and so many people eat that poo poo right up, ugh. he needs to be publicly humiliated and his name forever tied to shame and lies so he doesn't leave a dumb rosy legacy like Carnegie

if that star trek scene where they list famous people and his name is one of them comes true i'm gonna fuckin' snap and my dead-rear end ghost will come and haunt the hell out of his descendants, is what i'm saying

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

if that star trek scene where they list famous people and his name is one of them comes true i'm gonna fuckin' snap and my dead-rear end ghost will come and haunt the hell out of his descendants, is what i'm saying

lol if you're not already leftist and haven't veered into tankie style bougie killing rhetoric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQgkF_FsO4

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my goodness! elon musk named on my star trek program?! this is too far sir!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

loving love that song, smoka. billy bragg is one of my absolute favorites, bar none. :hfive:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol if you're not already leftist and haven't veered into tankie style bougie killing rhetoric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQgkF_FsO4

ok but by the time we have warp drive i'll be a ghost so p much my only option is haunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

if that star trek scene where they list famous people and his name is one of them

he absolutely paid for that plug

they even have paid product placement in novels these days