Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How much would this quarter-based arcade-only player of the days of yore end up spending if they wanted to put in enough time with a game to be competitive

It's not really "of yore", arcade business is still a primary sales force for Tekken, ArcSys games, UNIST etc, basically everything that isn't SFV. And the answer is a shitload more loving money than 60 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Potsticker posted:

Why do stages matter for being free? That's almost the literal definition of cosmetic.

SFV DLC stages include one that hides some character's fireballs or give a character a DLC-stage-only specific move.

Also one that apparently makes some people vomit, as if the regular game doesn't already do so.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also FGs should do the Splatoon thing where all new content is just free forever, until I guess they mucked that up with a single player campaign. But nobody in their right mind would buy a story expansion for a FG that only added Lore cutscenes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Fighting games have never had a particularly good business model, with minor updates being repackaged as full price games since the genre’s inception until day 1 DLC and incomplete shells of games being sold because they can patch it later now. So it’s hard to get ‘mad’ per se. The closest we’ve gotten to getting it right is Killer Instinct and (to a lesser extent)DoA5:FR.

I mean, besides Smash Bros. giving away everything and only doing DLC stuff so far we’ll after the game is finished. But nobody’s actually gonna do THAT so I’ll settle for KI’s model.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

SFV DLC stages include one that hides some character's fireballs or give a character a DLC-stage-only specific move.

Also one that apparently makes some people vomit, as if the regular game doesn't already do so.

Wait what!? That's-- that's not okay at all. (Though I'm guessing the DLC-stage-only specific move is something like a cage for Claw to grab onto?)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Day 1 DLC is fine in my opinion when it comes to situations like Tira and SC6. She wasn't in the design document originally but enough people wanted her in that they set aside some time and effort to get her in, she just wasn't ready by the time the game went gold or whatever so they can't ship with her. I'm probably going to buy whatever Bamco puts out in regards to SC6 if it's good because the team sounds like they need to sell as much as possible to keep the series alive and it's a series I like

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Wait what!? That's-- that's not okay at all. (Though I'm guessing the DLC-stage-only specific move is something like a cage for Claw to grab onto?)

Yeah and they balanced it by making Claw the worst character in SF history

Parachute
May 18, 2003

anime was right posted:

lootboxes are worse than character dlc even if they're cosmetic imo

id rather gamble on cosmetic items than pay real money to play a character that should have been included for free any day of the week

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

When most people refer to loot boxes they're talking about the kind you can or must pay real money for. Real-Money Lootboxes are the fuckin' worst and I'll do real-money New Character/Cosmetics But You Know What You Get any day

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 28, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The M Bison/Vega/Balrog situation still makes me laugh to this day

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im going to play the poo poo out of soul calibur 6

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sharrrk posted:

im going to play the poo poo out of soul calibur 6

:same: Watching the gameplay footage it's scary how many of the inputs I remember after like 15 years away.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

loving same

please give me Lizardman. I wonder if the Lizardman Create-A-Dude race is going to be Aeon-Shaped or normal human shaped. If the latter is true that's fuckin' stupid and will look awful, if the former is true all of the combat animations are going to be hosed up for whatever weapon style you give it, unless they somehow though getting all of that motion blending and FK/IK restructuring was worth more than just adding Lizardman proper to the game lol

also I'm going to be annoyed like hell if they keep playing coy with Cervantes and release him as like the final character announcement before launch lol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yo mamma a Horus posted:

a system of unlocking ugly skins for characters in fgs through gameplay would be ok, it would trick skin-loving scrubs into playing more and accidentally improving their mechanics

ONE WEIRD TRICK TO UNLOCK SKINS FASTER *links to neutral tutorial*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Also FGs should do the Splatoon thing where all new content is just free forever, until I guess they mucked that up with a single player campaign. But nobody in their right mind would buy a story expansion for a FG that only added Lore cutscenes.

Blazblue fans tho

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

smash can give you the world for $60 because it sells 5x as well as the most popular fighting games

i'm sure a well managed dev could make a profitable fighting game for $60 without DLC but as long as enough people are willing to spend the extra $20 then publishers aren't gonna take that chance.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

yo mamma a Horus posted:

a system of unlocking ugly skins for characters in fgs through gameplay would be ok, it would trick skin-loving scrubs into playing more and accidentally improving their mechanics

Completing the basic tutorial unlocks the ability for skins/colors to randomly unlock after playing a match.

Fancy skins/colors unlock after completing combo tutorials

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am 100% down with tying skins or at least skin recolors to single-player and training content

bring back unlocks with main-menu cheats to unlock everything for like tournaments or taking a game to a friend's house to play local or whatever

Tales of Woe posted:

i'm sure a well managed dev could make a profitable fighting game for $60 without DLC but as long as enough people are willing to spend the extra $20 then publishers aren't gonna take that chance.

At this point I'm pretty sure the issue is just like, people are upset when stuff is clearly held back from launch to be sold later (though I'm not sure how anyone outside of the developers seems to know when exactly that is the case lol (but you know it happens)) or when real low-effort stuff is Day 1 DLC. Everyone likes more content for their games and vidya game developers gotta eat too

e: also the problem that plagues fighting games more than any other, Re-Releases at Full Price a year later

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 28, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also Raphael When

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just as long as it's good Raphael and not lovely vampire Raphael.

But do add Raziel to SC6 as a guest character thank you.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Day 1 DLC is fine in my opinion when it comes to situations like Tira and SC6. She wasn't in the design document originally but enough people wanted her in that they set aside some time and effort to get her in, she just wasn't ready by the time the game went gold or whatever so they can't ship with her. I'm probably going to buy whatever Bamco puts out in regards to SC6 if it's good because the team sounds like they need to sell as much as possible to keep the series alive and it's a series I like

get this: you can add characters to a game later and not charge money for it

also "this game is probably going to be bad but I'm going to buy it anyways so they can make more bad games later" is some backwards logic

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Where did I imply that it was probably going to be bad? Soul Calibur 6 looks good as heck from all the gameplay we've seen and I've always enjoyed the game even at its worst. I've been nothing but positive about the game whenever I talk about it, including several posts on this very page lol. It's the latest entry in a fighting game series, it's always got the chance to be bad (Street Fighter, Marvel, etc.), and if it is garbage I won't be spending any money on it because I'd rather the series die and hopefully be revived in 20 years by some fresh (and better) developer looking to mine nostalgia than carry on as some kind of terrible zombie like Dynasty Warriors.

Also you can totally release poo poo for free but why would you. If they spend time and effort and resources to make new poo poo, they have the right to charge for it.

exquisite tea posted:

Just as long as it's good Raphael and not lovely vampire Raphael.

I'd be down for like a twist or whatever and instead of Raph we'd get Amy. Anything but Vamp Raph tho, agree

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 28, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How much would this quarter-based arcade-only player of the days of yore end up spending if they wanted to put in enough time with a game to be competitive

a lot but it was a lot easier for some people to get 25 cents at a time multiple times than enough 25 cents all at once for a console and game

Babe Magnet posted:

Where did I imply that it was probably going to be bad? Soul Calibur 6 looks good as heck from all the gameplay we've seen and I've always enjoyed the game even at its worst.
i think its the part where you said you'll buy whatever they tell you to because they said that if you dont buy it then the series cannot continue

quote:

I'm probably going to buy whatever Bamco puts out in regards to SC6 if it's good because the team sounds like they need to sell as much as possible to keep the series alive and it's a series I like
this kind of thinking is a disease

the state of fighting games is loving pathetic if they are surviving on pity to get sales. as a person who loves fighting games please just let fighters out of their misery if this is really the place the genre is at

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 28, 2018

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'd love to have someone as random as Raziel or Kain himself as a guest character in a game. You know, just to remind people Legacy of Kain existed and it was a good series.

edit: except that lame rear end 3D one where kain loses his powers and has to get back on his grind to get them back in generic dark fantasy city #4574395435

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zand posted:

this kind of thinking is a disease

are we including the part where I posted "if it's good", because if not I can totally see where you're coming from re: me saying I'd buy the game even if it's not good. But if we are including the part where I typed "if it's good", I don't actually see where you're coming from re: me saying I'd buy the game even if its not good

there seems to just be some kind of communication breakdown, maybe I just phrased that sentence weird lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 28, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zand posted:

a lot but it was a lot easier for some people to get 25 cents at a time multiple times than enough 25 cents all at once for a console and game

That's fair. I was just thinking back to when I was a kid and getting to an arcade was a special occasion thing while even with the SNES I could play as much Street Fighter II as I wanted.

In Training posted:

It's not really "of yore", arcade business is still a primary sales force for Tekken, ArcSys games, UNIST etc, basically everything that isn't SFV. And the answer is a shitload more loving money than 60 dollars.

I mean, that's only in Korea and Japan, right

I remember when Tekken 7 was nearing console release and I thought "It's been in arcades for a while, maybe I can find it nearby" and the first search result I got was "There is only one Tekken 7 arcade machine in the entire United States"

https://twitter.com/level257/status/753349831532355584

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have a buddy who lived close enough to visit that place when Tekken 7 released and he says that he approached the cabinet, got perfected through an entire best of three set and then left and went home

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 28, 2018

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Did your friend get owned or the other guy?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he got mondo owned but I'm still jealous because I always wanted to play on the t7 machine, it's dope as gently caress

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Babe Magnet posted:

I have a buddy who lived close enough to visit that place when Tekken 7 released and he says that he approached the cabinet, got perfected through an entire best of three set and then left and went home

Your friend really sucks at Tekken.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's better than me. I used to think I was good at tekken until I started playing with goons/online in general lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MVCI was probably the last FG game I can recall where people put their money where their mouths were because that game loving tanked critically/financially and in terms of active users. As bad as people think SC6's Tira poo poo it, I don't think anything in the future will ever reach the pit of despair that MVC did, or burn so much goodwill from such a popular franchise so hard

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was surprised that it didn't do so hot, as I was constantly told by everyone I played 3 with that it was actually a solid game mechanics-wise, but you only ever get one first impression I guess. A big red flag to me was no Wolverine and going 2v2 for some reason.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I was surprised that it didn't do so hot, as I was constantly told by everyone I played 3 with that it was actually a solid game mechanics-wise, but you only ever get one first impression I guess. A big red flag to me was no Wolverine and going 2v2 for some reason.

those people were lying to themselves

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I've never been a marvel fan but seeing people in my local scene desperately trying to keep the game alive was really depressing. Like at one point I swear they were just using a setup to run MVCI then when the 3 people who signed up for the bracket were done they just turned it into another SFV setup.

I saw this one guy with a really tricked out, heavily customized stick that looked like it was made out of like a slab of steel with crazy marvel icons and poo poo all over it and it just really made me appreciate that I still play games that have an active population.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I still defend DLC packs/seasons over new revisions because not having characters limit your options, but y'know what limits them even more? Not being able to play the game you bought at all. It also falls into the "it's easier to pay 25c a bunch than to pay $60 straight up sometimes" logic.

Day 1 DLC is way more iffy. I don't automatically go for the hot consumer paladin take of the Jim Sterlings because it's really not how game development works anymore, poo poo has budgets and all, and sometimes unfinished content gets cut because the game went gold already but can be patched into the released version...if it eats into the DLC budget. PR-wise it's a lot smarter to just release it later and pretend it was never there. There's also SFxT cases where it's just the company being fuckin' assholes though, so despite the above 99% of the time I'd rather companies stopped doing that.

Season passes are just pre-orders but for future content.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Crocoswine posted:

those people were lying to themselves

I wouldn't know, I jumped on the Fighterz hype train and never looked back

They all play Fighterz now and no one ever talks about MVC:I mysteriously

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

*crowd of protestors dressed as saiyan warriors outside capcom HQ chanting loudly*

"THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the free market in action, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Lol the free market sure worked well for capcom.