Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people just got burned out on them and clicks dropped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

business hammocks posted:

I am very thankful the breathless political clickbait review genre seems to have died out. I don’t know if it was consumerism or marketing, but all those “commander Leia is the revolutionary hero WE NEED right now” articles were so annoying in their desperate need to identify transformative politics in disposable big-budget action movies. Read a book, 22-year-old Huffpost person.

Uh, has it died out? I still see things like that constantly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tarquinn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83D18xL7VE

It's like shooting people in a barrel. :v:

I hope this makes them money however loving lol will I ever watch it. I've heard enough about this movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it ten hours like the other ones? If I ever talk about a movie for more time than it takes to screen the movie, I call an editor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One hour of nitpicks, apparently.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have no desire to watch another hour-long video about The Last Jedi

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That sounds awful. It’s so self indulgent I can understand why they wouldn’t want to do that.

We're talking about the same Red Letter Media, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That sounds awful. It’s so self indulgent I can understand why they wouldn’t want to do that.

You mean like an epic battle between Plinkett and a woman he abducted? I can’t even type that without cringing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

stillvisions posted:

We're talking about the same Red Letter Media, right?

Yeah it definitely is not something they would do.

They spend to much time making GBS threads on themselves as is.

As it can get rather eye rolling.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 28, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it definitely is not something they would do.

They spend to much time making GBS threads on themselves as is.

As it can get rather eye rolling.

But it'd be worth it if the Plinkett stuff goes away and we're left with the core spirit of RLM: Aging geeks who are generally okay with the fact that popular media isn't being made for them anymore but can still review and comment on it from a craft standpoint.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For what it's worth they barely touch on the stupid culture war that sprang up around Last Jedi and decided to instead look at what the hell the director was thinking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

stillvisions posted:

But it'd be worth it if the Plinkett stuff goes away and we're left with the core spirit of RLM: Aging geeks who are generally okay with the fact that popular media isn't being made for them anymore but can still review and comment on it from a craft standpoint.

I mean plinkett comes out once every couple years so it’s rather easy to ignore I haven’t watched one in a long time and I’m okay with that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yeah like the vast majority of their stuff is Half in the Bag, Best of the Worst, and Re:view, not Plinkett by a long shot.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I like RLM but I can't watch another video about Star Wars. I loved the movies as a kid and poo poo but I can't get excited about a Disney product. They really aren't for me, anyway. Also people acting like seeing a movie from a multi-billion dollar media mega-conglomerate is resisting conservative values because some internet nerdlord called the purple-haired lady a oval office or whatever need to get some perspective in their life.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Seeing Tira described as "series mainstay" cracked me up a little, she was in 3 and 4, now 6 and I've never known a single person who cares about that character.

She was in 3, 4, and 5, and was a major plot mover leading into and through 5, so it's not a huge exaggeration. She's no Sophitia but she's more relevant than Zasalamel, who is a regular returning character in VI.

What's worse is the possibility that Aeon Calcos/Lizardman may be a season pass character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So they issued that correction and Blaire White is now no longer described as an "ethnonationalist"...

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1034502272573554688

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DrVenkman posted:

So they issued that correction and Blaire White is now no longer described as an "ethnonationalist"...

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

loving wrecked.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Wow, Blaire even bragged about it before actually reading the correction. Deleted now but somebody got the screenshot.

https://twitter.com/Duke_Clemens/status/1034511355695570944

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DrVenkman posted:

This was amazing. And so was Contra's further comments on Singel.

Oh, and that video about plot holes? (Awesome BTW) This was posted int he comments.

YourMovieSucksDOTorg posted:

I typed out a big comment in response to this video being posted elsewhere, so I thought I'd just copy and paste that here. Here it is:

I think he kind of misses the point about people acting logically. It's not an issue for someone to act illogically. It's an issue when the illogical and out-of-character decision they make is forced in for no reason other than to enact a plot device. It's not illegitimate to prefer stories that flow in natural ways compared to ones where you can transparently see every single beat in the script. That was my biggest issue with A Quiet Place. The plot device conflict came at the expense of the characters. They weren't real people anymore. They were just props to force more conflict into the story with every action they made. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to point out.

What's really weird is that he's coming at this from a really elitist angle. I'm not sure what he thinks of my channel (although a few commenters seem to think I fall under the category of what he's criticizing), but I'm constantly making sure to communicate that even though I'm mentioning parts of the film that bother me, those same aspects might not bother other people. I always make sure to communicate that everyone has their threshold for what they're willing to accept and that not everyone weighs the same aspects of filmmaking equally. And here this guy is saying that plot holes can't be considered problems with a film and that it's illegitimate criticism to express your thoughts on them when talking about your experience with a film. What? That's basically just gatekeeping at this point. I completely understand his perspective and find it completely legitimate to not be bothered by any logical inconsistencies in a film, but to claim that it's not legitimate whatsoever to consider them as flaws is just elitist nonsense. It's always so weird to me when people try to delegitimize other ways of thinking rather than accept and understand other points of view.

If an aspect of the film winds up making the experience less believable, how is that not a legitimate thing to mention? If a film's writing prevents the characters from being believable, how is that not a legitimate complaint? I'd be interested to see what exactly this guy considers to be a legitimate flaw, because anyone could easily use the same logic against him for that. By his logic, you could make the same arguments he's making for literally any complaint about any art whatsoever. By his logic, there is no such thing as legitimate criticism.

Anyway, excuse my little rant here. It's just always so frustrating when people try to claim that you shouldn't talk about certain aspects of your experience watching the film. Like, it's my experience. If there's something I want to mention about it, I'll mention it. I mention every aspect of filmmaking that stands out to me. Lighting, shot composition, soundtrack, acting, production design, special effects, etc. It's stupid to say that you're allowed to have whatever opinions you want on those, but that plot inconsistencies are off-limits for some reason. I make videos expressing my opinions on my experience of the film. I'm not going to start omitting aspects that stuck out to me and affected my experience just because some people decide to look down on any criticisms that don't bother them personally. Get off your high horse.

EDIT: So I continued watching the video and found where he talks about what he considers to be legitimate flaws in Justice League. As expected, his criticisms are just as (if not, more) subjective as any complaint about plot inconsistency. "Many of the central characters are totally static and poorly motivated and they don't learn anything or grow through the story.". So what you're saying is that these characters aren't acting realistic enough for you? What happened when you said that human beings are illogical and imperfect? If unrealistic character actions aren't real criticism, then why are unrealistic character motivations? They go hand-in-hand. Their actions are quite literally driven by their motivations. There are real people in the world with unrealistic motivations just the same as there are real people in the world with unrealistic character actions. By your own logic, your complaints are no less subjective than the ones you're criticizing as illegitimate. You could make the exact same arguments against either of those concepts. There are also plenty of great movies that intentionally avoid conforming to the exact same character growth formula that he's imposing as the "standard" for how a movie has to be. When your premise is that "my criticisms are legitimate, but yours aren't", you're doing nothing but harming creativity. Not every movie has to follow the standard you set for it, and it's incredibly arrogant to imply that your form of criticism is somehow objective.

Here's an idea that is essential to consider about this situation: There are writers and directors out there who put painstaking efforts into their stories to make sure everything is as concise and logical as possible. There are also writers and directors who don't put in those efforts at all. If inconsistencies in plot and character action "don't matter at all", then how can you even appreciate those efforts made by filmmakers who legitimately care? You're not just delegitimizing those who discuss their films. You're delegitimizing the filmmakers themselves. You're saying there's no difference between a lazy script littered with inconsistencies versus a thoroughly researched, laid-out, thoughtful script that made every effort they possibly could to make the story, characters, and universe as consistent and believable as possible. That's just nonsense and it's upsetting that you refuse to see any value whatsoever in filmmakers who put those extra efforts into their work.

I personally don't enjoy Cinema Sins either, because I personally consider it to be completely substanceless and unfunny. It's bottom-of-the-barrel criticism where the goal is to find as many "ding" flaws as possible, often reaching so far as to include ones despite the film very clearly adding those aspects intentionally. If your premise in this video was that going out of your way to find flaws in every single film that exists while ignoring every other aspect of filmmaking is low-effort content, I'd be agreeing with you here. However, your premise is that taking issue with any amount of inconsistencies in any film ever made is illegitimate and I can't agree with you at all on that. You're seriously delegitimizing the filmmakers out there who actually care about those things, and it sets bad precedent to tell people that their efforts shouldn't be appreciated.

Edit: I'm paraphrasing here, but I think it was Movies with Mikey that said this. "We need to stop asking if a piece of media is objectively good or objectively bad. gently caress Objectivity. How did it make you, the audience, feel? That should be a more important question?"

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 28, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

I have no desire to watch another hour-long video about The Last Jedi

Indeed. You'll spoil your appetite to talk about Star Wars in any other thread in 3 minutes if you start watching that video.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Indeed. You'll spoil your appetite to talk about Star Wars in any other thread in 3 minutes if you start watching that video.

I'm just gonna accept that I'm gonna be one of the few people who legit love Last Jedi. I actually saw it again with my parents and Wooo, that my be like the forth time I've seen it and it still hasn't gotten old.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Weird they bothered with a correction but didn’t go with the more accurate “piece of poo poo.”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm just gonna accept that I'm gonna be one of the few people who legit love Last Jedi. I actually saw it again with my parents and Wooo, that my be like the forth time I've seen it and it still hasn't gotten old.

Hey, you do you, I'm just saying that it's fine if you don't want to watch the video, because any thread could accidentally derail into Star Wars at any moment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bakeneko posted:

The biggest flaw in Patrick Willems’ argument is that he’s getting “logical” character actions confused with “believable” ones. Yes, humans don’t always do the exact most rational thing at any given time, but they always behave according to their established personality and the circumstances of the situation. A character acting like an idiot and missing a very obvious solution to their problem is a legitimate flaw in the film, unless that character is supposed to be an unobservant idiot and their role in the film reflects this.

And I really hate the argument he brings up at around 6:30 where he basically says “you should ignore characters doing completely irrational things because it provides conflict for the plot”. This is bullshit. If you’re a writer and you have to have your characters take actions that make no sense just to create tension and conflict, then you have failed at your job and you need to go back to the drawing board and rework your plot rather than just trying to wallpaper over those mistakes. The plot will be better for it, believe me.

For example, Voldemort makes another silly mistake in the Harry Potter series that I don't have a problem with, because it's justified within the story. The question of why he didn't just make some random rock into a horcrux and instead used things that could be tied to him is explained by the fact that he is a massive egotist and wanted all the vessels for his soul to have symbolic meaning. Illogical, yes, but it fits his character. The portkey thing does not.

There's a game called Stonekeep, where shortly after starting the game and exploring a little bit of the starting area, you run into the main villain, Khull-Khuum, meets you face-to-face, captures your spirit guide, but doesn't kill you because he...thinks you're too weak, and not worth the effort? :shrug:

Of course, the answer to why he doesn't do anything is simply 'if he just showed up and killed you, then there wouldn't be a game'. You can say that that it's him being egotistical (you spirit guide tells him not to gloat), and I see that, but at the same time, it also makes him look pretty stupid. :devil:"You're very weak, and destroying you would take no effort. I'm going to let you live so that you can you actually pose a threat to me later." It's the kind of thing where when you apply serious logic to it, you could say that scene should be scrapped.

Of course, I'm not saying that something like that should be scrapped. On a thematic level, it introduces the villain proper, and builds them up for when you have to fight them later. On a practical level, though, it makes it seem foolish and needlessly showy. I think the thing about plot hole analysis (depending on how it's done), is that it's not a case of someone trying to prove that they're smarter than the movie makers, but constantly questioning and analyzing motivations, actions, and events.

A lot of people look to that scene in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull where Indy hides in a fridge to survive the nuclear bomb, and they point out how he should of died when fridge landed, how he'd still be dead of radiation poisoning, etc. etc. However, James Rolfe did a video on a Ten Dumbest Indiana Jones Moments, and in it, he talks about how Indiana Jones is based of old serial and adventure films, so it's not shooting for actual reality, but rather light-hearted adventure, and that the movies aren't meant to be taken seriously. Above the fridge scene, he points out how Indiana Jones surviving the tank that fell off the cliff in Last Crusade is a lot more ludicrous and unexplained.

I guess to make a long, dumb post short, I think it's a thing of that people don't so much turn their brains off when they watch a movie, but rather they have them overclocked, which is what results in a lot of plot hole banter.

EDIT: Of course, I post this right after YMS's long comment gets posted. :cripes:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 28, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: Of course, I post this right after YMS's long comment gets posted. :cripes:

Should I take it down? I just thought it was funny he wrote THAT many words about it. :ohdear:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

This was amazing. And so was Contra's further comments on Singel.

Oh, and that video about plot holes? (Awesome BTW) This was posted int he comments.

YMS's "people acting illogically only to move the plot forward is bad" is so catch-22 in the criticism; like seriously, would they be okay with illogical decisions as long as they don't cause anything to happen in the movie? Should movies be required to have scenes like those bad 80's movies where the characters investigate half a dozen empty locations to fill time? Like plot holes, we don't need to see the inconsequential decisions, good or bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

stillvisions posted:

YMS's "people acting illogically only to move the plot forward is bad" is so catch-22 in the criticism; like seriously, would they be okay with illogical decisions as long as they don't cause anything to happen in the movie? Should movies be required to have scenes like those bad 80's movies where the characters investigate half a dozen empty locations to fill time? Like plot holes, we don't need to see the inconsequential decisions, good or bad.

Eh that can be good as those kind of scenes can be good characterization.

I think it’s a thing were it’s not black and white. They can work but they won’t always work.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The way I think of it, is to apply Matt Groening's idea of 'stretching' reality in cartoons, except in this case it's things like logic or character intelligence, basically you can stretch things to quite a length and overall it will work but eventually it will snap and everything falls asunder. That's when people start to get annoyed about about contrivances and unexplained events that they might otherwise ignore. Obviously that's very subjective but I think it's pretty obvious in some things like Prometheus where they've just pushed their luck too hard for most people to accept the basic suspension of disbelief that the experience needs.

I don't like how binary this whole discussion seems to get, either you want wacky off-the wall talking robots nonsense happening constantly where nothing really matters or you want to know the exact specifications of Iron Man's suits to see if he really could survive a hit from Thor's hammer who's precise kinetic power has been measured by hundreds of tenured researchers over a 10 year period carefully rereading every comic he appears in and re-watching the dark world at 2% speed to get as accurate a measurement as possible.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh that can be good as those kind of scenes can be good characterization.

I think it’s a thing were it’s not black and white. They can work but they won’t always work.

I know, I was being a bit glib there. Hollywood has gotten incredibly good at crafting what could only be described as "efficient" movies; they have the set pieces all decided at the beginning and everything else is a matter of steering the story there as fast as possible. Studios sand down all those rough edges, and yeah, movies are often less human as a result.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Max Wilco posted:

A lot of people look to that scene in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull where Indy hides in a fridge to survive the nuclear bomb

I always thought the real issue with fridge-nuke is that anything that comes after it in terms of danger feels underwhelming by comparison. It's the least of Crystal Skull's problems, but it is a problem. Hard to feel danger in Campus-Car-Chase when you just walked away from a nuke right out of the gate.

Plus, film Indy's only been unstoppable when he upholds a holy covenant, so it lets you know a few minutes into the film that this movie is spiritually empty and thematically disconnected from everything else that came before it. That would be fine if the void was filled with something better, but it wasn't.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 28, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

khwarezm posted:

The way I think of it, is to apply Matt Groening's idea of 'stretching' reality in cartoons, except in this case it's things like logic or character intelligence, basically you can stretch things to quite a length and overall it will work but eventually it will snap and everything falls asunder. That's when people start to get annoyed about about contrivances and unexplained events that they might otherwise ignore. Obviously that's very subjective but I think it's pretty obvious in some things like Prometheus where they've just pushed their luck too hard for most people to accept the basic suspension of disbelief that the experience needs.

I don't like how binary this whole discussion seems to get, either you want wacky off-the wall talking robots nonsense happening constantly where nothing really matters or you want to know the exact specifications of Iron Man's suits to see if he really could survive a hit from Thor's hammer who's precise kinetic power has been measured by hundreds of tenured researchers over a 10 year period carefully rereading every comic he appears in and re-watching the dark world at 2% speed to get as accurate a measurement as possible.

Yeah, that's absolutely it. As much as I dislike Shamus, his "story collapse" thing is really the crux of it. There's only so much weight a story can bear, and if too many things pile up all the things that would normally make sense just fall apart. Characters don't need to act like perfectly logical automata, but they should be true to themselves and generally act consistently regardless of moving the plot forward or not. Different people will draw the line at different places, or different things will cause more or less pressure on their ability to accept the story for what it is.

People like to boil down plots to a "right way" on all sides, when really there are very few universal rules for making media. For instance, people like to say things like "your book needs to be driven by characters", but there are some really good works where the characters didn't matter because that wasn't what the book was trying to accomplish. in fact, the audiobook foreword of Rendezvous with Rama specifically highlights the characters are, at best, functional (I certainly couldn't tell you anything about them and I read it under a year ago), but the entire book is so good at exploring its central premise it won the Sci-Fi Triple Crown for a reason.

Similarly, people get into the whole "plot hole" and consistency thing and while I think you could maybe lay out some generalities, it really depends on what the work is trying to accomplish, who's viewing it, and honestly just plain execution.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That article about the Thieves' Guild questline in Skyrim seemed to nail it with the discussion of plot collapse. Little problems can get plastered over if the movie is good in other areas, or if you're not asking too much of the viewer overall. But sometimes a plot hole is really bad because it shakes you up enough to make you question the whole movie and it just all falls apart.

^ efb

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That article about the Thieves' Guild questline in Skyrim seemed to nail it with the discussion of plot collapse. Little problems can get plastered over if the movie is good in other areas, or if you're not asking too much of the viewer overall. But sometimes a plot hole is really bad because it shakes you up enough to make you question the whole movie and it just all falls apart.

^ efb

Right. I think YMS guy's problem is that he is saying "A plot hole is a plot hole, if your film has one no matter how big, you hosed up" And that's not true at all.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BigRed0427 posted:

The Last Jedi owns and I haven't liked any of RLM's content in over a year, so I don't intend to watch yet another whiny nerd review about how Star Wars is dead (yet again). The vitriolic fan response to the movie - not to mention the disconcerting right-wing culture war against it - ironically proves a lot of the points the film was making about fan culture.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If consistency isn't a problem, why do film productions employ script supervisors, one of whose roles is to catch continuity errors? Do studios enjoy throwing money away on completely unnecessary roles? This isn't some issue that was made up in the late 2000's due to listicles or whatever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

They don’t really, they also in general don’t really wade into politics that much and honestly I prefer it that way. Because they probably have terrible views but they keep them to themselves.

Though they are on record saying they find the Rey hate dumb and weird.

Based on the social media presence they keep, Rich and Mike are kind of unknown quantities, Jay engages with politics rarely and just kinda prefers talking about movies, and Josh and Jack are pretty politically outspoken, and bring up their disdain for like toxic masculinity or frustration with racist hollywood hiring practices. I can't imagine that the whole of the group averages too far away from that though.

Calling them chuds seems like it's missing the mark pretty hard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Beefstew posted:

The Last Jedi owns and I haven't liked any of RLM's content in over a year, so I don't intend to watch yet another whiny nerd review about how Star Wars is dead (yet again). The vitriolic fan response to the movie - not to mention the disconcerting right-wing culture war against it - ironically proves a lot of the points the film was making about fan culture.

Lol this is the dumb culture war bullshit we were discussing earlier.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Based on the social media presence they keep, Rich and Mike are kind of unknown quantities, Jay engages with politics rarely and just kinda prefers talking about movies, and Josh and Jack are pretty politically outspoken, and bring up their disdain for like toxic masculinity or frustration with racist hollywood hiring practices.

It’s all about discrediting someone you disagree with it has nothing to do with them being chuds.

Just dumb culture war bullshit.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, I dont think their chuds. But they are those guys who look at most modern big sci fi and action movies and just wish they were teens again when the kind of movies they liked were still being made. And they do say stupid poo poo now and then but it's never stuff that makes me think they are fans of Sargon or something.

Which is why Best of the Worst and Re:view are their better shows now. I'm finding videos about people gushing about poo poo they love is far more entertaining then just making GBS threads on random modern big budget sci fi action movie.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 28, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Based on the social media presence they keep, Rich and Mike are kind of unknown quantities, Jay engages with politics rarely and just kinda prefers talking about movies, and Josh and Jack are pretty politically outspoken, and bring up their disdain for like toxic masculinity or frustration with racist hollywood hiring practices.

They’re from the Ernest Cline generation of white nerd boys who are about as conservative as all the men of their generation but have never been challenged by anyone enough to think about it. They’re well-meaning white boys who live in an all-white culture, which means they have stupid ideas they’ve never interrogated like “race has never been a problem for me, so I don’t think it’s a problem for anyone” and “women can enjoy The Godfather and Star Wars like I can, so movies targeted as women are unnecessary and dumb.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

Right. I think YMS guy's problem is that he is saying "A plot hole is a plot hole, if your film has one no matter how big, you hosed up" And that's not true at all.

I think the point is more that a plot hole is a plot hole and that's an issue that can add up. Like YMS kinda hit on that in his review of The Visit when he spent a while talking about how bullshit the 'found footage' element was and how it got instantly thrown out for laziness. He said it was a nitpick to hone in on it but it was also emblematic of the entire problem with the movie, where it doesn't NEED to be found footage but in doing that they made it worse by throwing the premise out as soon as it became annoying. It's not movie destroying, but it combined with how poo poo other things are certainly hurt the movie.