Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There are some people who say that MVCI is their favorite one and it's probably a better game than DBFZ so I respect the hustle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

See also; people who legitimately consider Xenoverse superior to FighterZ

quick edit: not just in terms of mechanics because duh MVCI has DBFZ beat there but also in visual appeal which, lmao.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I just think the most egregious thing about the Tira announcement is that it came out before the entire base roster had been revealed, which is insane.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but at least they really seem to have regretted the poo poo out of it. They copped to it and acknowledge that it was a bad move, and I can respect that bit at least. It will probably happen two more times before October 18th.

Ultramega posted:

See also; people who legitimately consider Xenoverse superior to FighterZ

quick edit: not just in terms of mechanics because duh MVCI has DBFZ beat there but also in visual appeal which, lmao.

Xenoverse is like an entirely different genre, and I like both Xeno and Fighterz but yeah they're not even in the same tier. Xenoverse has so much jank and also it's like an action RPG more than it is a fighting game.

VVVV Yeah at least if you're like horrendously lovely you'll still get some people streaming and getting hyped over it for irony or whatever. The only thing MVC:I is going to be remembered for is killing the Marvel community lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 28, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My limited experience with MVCI made me think it had similar issues to DBFZ - infinite blockstrings, samey gameplans - sometimes exacerbated (the combos), sometimes softened (at least mixups are better), but it also felt worse to move around in and looked thrice as bad.

It's not a BAD game, it's just lazy as gently caress and there's nothing worse than being mediocre.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Babe Magnet posted:

I wouldn't know, I jumped on the Fighterz hype train and never looked back

They all play Fighterz now and no one ever talks about MVC:I mysteriously

Same except they all switched to BBTag immediately when that was in "open" beta

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The very first BBTAG event was on setups of people who had preordered and had access to the demo and even playing that game with 90% of the content gated I knew it was leaps and bounds better than DBFZ.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bbtag is the best tag game out right now

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dias posted:

My limited experience with MVCI made me think it had similar issues to DBFZ - infinite blockstrings, samey gameplans - sometimes exacerbated (the combos), sometimes softened (at least mixups are better), but it also felt worse to move around in and looked thrice as bad.

It's not a BAD game, it's just lazy as gently caress and there's nothing worse than being mediocre.

I have never played either game but I can say with confidence that there is no way in hell MVCI looks only thrice as bad as the beautiful DBFZ.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MVCI looks like a mobile game

what was the name of that marvel mobile fighter that came out around the same time? it looked exactly like that

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
BBTag feels all weird and still controls like Blazblue, if it was more like UNISTag I'd probably enjoy it more. It doesn't help that everyone around here instantly went "eeeeeeeeeeeewwww" after Week One and stopped playing it.

It's a good game for people that suck at fighting games like me tho, I'll give it that.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

BBTag's dlc stuff also kind of sucked mega hard to death, but the game is good so I don't know. Don't like when people try and pretend it isn't lovely though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they announced a worse DLC model at first so people accepted it more after they pulled away from it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Babe Magnet posted:

what was the name of that marvel mobile fighter that came out around the same time? it looked exactly like that

It was said that budget wise, the amount of $$$ and resources that went into Street Fighter V's DLC and DLC costumes is the same amount of $$$ and resources that went into the entire game of MvC Infinite. Absolutely stunning misfire of a game on multiple levels.

I remember all the Jedi Mind Trick caliber interview shenanigans trying to justify the roster as something that was amazing and not just that they weren't allowed to use X-Men or Fantastic Four anything and had to focus on MCU stuff. "I mean when it comes down to it, no one actually LIKES Dr. Doom you know?" :laffo:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Babe Magnet posted:

That's because they reused some of the assets from that game with new textures on them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They painted over mvc3 with a lot of poorly lit ugly and made 6 new characters...if you paid 90

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

In Training posted:

There are some people who say that MVCI is their favorite one and it's probably a better game than DBFZ so I respect the hustle

This- this is me. Mechanically, at least, MvC:I is the best Marvel game by a country mile and I will choke out anyone on their loving salty pringles who try to claim otherwise. It just feels like the final realization of the 2v2 team idea that first got dabbled in with MvC1 and it’s various mechanics instead of just being a tag fighter. A lot of the characters feel good to play, the gems feel real good (at least now that the Reality Stone is back somewhat in line with the others) and the newcomers like Jedah, X, Winter Soldier, Ultron, Sigma, and Monster Hunter are some of the slickest additions to the series in terms of at the very least gameplay.

(Also, I have words about how bad it feels to actually play DBFZ when both players have enough grasp of the mechanics to know how to basically make 15+ second blockstrings most of the cast can’t escape without meter or deflect timing you’re not going to get via netplay, but that’s not this discussion)

That said, I can admit that pretty much everything else about MvC:I is terrible horseshit - the character choices besides the newcomers, the aesthetics, the weird emphasis on the lovely story mode- and it’s probably dying the death it deserves. But I’m still happy to play the drat game when the chance arises.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Mr. Locke posted:

This- this is me. Mechanically, at least, MvC:I is the best Marvel game by a country mile and I will choke out anyone on their loving salty pringles who try to claim otherwise.

they removed assists because the developers thought casual players couldn't understand picking one of three options and balanced the game in a way that specifically only fucks over morrigan because too many people watching streams complained it was boring watching her throw soul fists

oh, and because of the insane way combo scaling works every character does the same damage and has the same corner carry and the same meter build off any combo and doing something more complicated gets you 0.01% more reward than doing abcd launcher abcd knockdown abcd launcher abcd knockdown

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mr. Locke posted:

This- this is me. Mechanically, at least, MvC:I is the best Marvel game by a country mile and I will choke out anyone on their loving salty pringles who try to claim otherwise. It just feels like the final realization of the 2v2 team idea that first got dabbled in with MvC1 and it’s various mechanics instead of just being a tag fighter. A lot of the characters feel good to play, the gems feel real good (at least now that the Reality Stone is back somewhat in line with the others) and the newcomers like Jedah, X, Winter Soldier, Ultron, Sigma, and Monster Hunter are some of the slickest additions to the series in terms of at the very least gameplay.

(Also, I have words about how bad it feels to actually play DBFZ when both players have enough grasp of the mechanics to know how to basically make 15+ second blockstrings most of the cast can’t escape without meter or deflect timing you’re not going to get via netplay, but that’s not this discussion)

That said, I can admit that pretty much everything else about MvC:I is terrible horseshit - the character choices besides the newcomers, the aesthetics, the weird emphasis on the lovely story mode- and it’s probably dying the death it deserves. But I’m still happy to play the drat game when the chance arises.

You do you, but I have the distinct feeling "I will choke out anyone who tries to claim MvCI isn't the best" doesn't bode well with the concept that you have any objective basis for thinking it's a good game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
MVCI coming after MVC3 was a bigger disappointment than MVC3 coming after MVC2.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

DBZF rules and MVCI is the worst playing marvel game by a loving mile including rise of the imperfects.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

they removed assists because the developers thought casual players couldn't understand picking one of three options and balanced the game in a way that specifically only fucks over morrigan because too many people watching streams complained it was boring watching her throw soul fists

oh, and because of the insane way combo scaling works every character does the same damage and has the same corner carry and the same meter build off any combo and doing something more complicated gets you 0.01% more reward than doing abcd launcher abcd knockdown abcd launcher abcd knockdown

Fair cop about the scaling. I like how it makes MvCI more reset heavy along with the tag changes but if you’re coming for big combos big damage you get only half of that and it kicks in too hard too fast. My preferences are not everyone’s preferences.

The assist thing is because they did a whole new thing using Tags. I dunno what the ‘too complex’ thing is because MvCI tagging is way more complex then MvC2/3- era assists. Morrigan was a loser in the shift but there are others like Ultron who have taken up the oppressive zoning mantle.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
mvci design decisions were made by choosing the path of least resistance through youtube and kotaku article comments

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VquIdtzLXpI

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

mvci design decisions were made by choosing the path of least resistance through youtube and kotaku article comments

Man, I don't even think it was that, I think it was the least path of resistance through having no cash and probably fed-up employees. They had the one cool idea from SFxT - active tag - and kinda half-assed a game around it.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Mr. Locke posted:

Morrigan was a loser in the shift but there are others like Ultron who have taken up the oppressive zoning mantle.

Ulton zoning works while morrigan doesn't because the new tag mechanic means that making someone eat a beam means that they also eat a mixup/pressure for free, and unlike morrigan fireballs you can't just pushblock beams away to reflect them back at people. the chip damage itself is still terrible it's just some characters have good projectiles to start offensive play with, there are no characters who have oppressive zoning where they don't especially care if you just sit there blocking forever the way some characters in every single previous marvel game do.

it's also petty :thunk: that they decided the main way to nerf keepaway is something that only works against projectiles instead of beams when most capcom characters have projectiles and most marvel ones have beams, with one of the few marvel characters that doesn't use beams, gamora, having gunshots you just can't reflect for seemingly no reason at all but that's getting into "marvel told them to make capcom characters bad on purpose" conspiracy theory stuff

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

dragon enthusiast posted:

they announced a worse DLC model at first so people accepted it more after they pulled away from it

Ah, the New Coke of dlc.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

darealkooky posted:

Ulton zoning works while morrigan doesn't because the new tag mechanic means that making someone eat a beam means that they also eat a mixup/pressure for free, and unlike morrigan fireballs you can't just pushblock beams away to reflect them back at people. the chip damage itself is still terrible it's just some characters have good projectiles to start offensive play with, there are no characters who have oppressive zoning where they don't especially care if you just sit there blocking forever the way some characters in every single previous marvel game do.

it's also petty :thunk: that they decided the main way to nerf keepaway is something that only works against projectiles instead of beams when most capcom characters have projectiles and most marvel ones have beams, with one of the few marvel characters that doesn't use beams, gamora, having gunshots you just can't reflect for seemingly no reason at all but that's getting into "marvel told them to make capcom characters bad on purpose" conspiracy theory stuff

If that streamer's story about how he couldn't use footage of Marvel characters being beaten by capcom characters is real then gently caress me is that some control freak poo poo.

No one is not going to see the Avengers because Captain America lost to Ryu, jesus christ Disney.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

In Training posted:

But nobody in their right mind would buy a story expansion for a FG that only added Lore cutscenes.

Millions of people would, and not even for cutscenes, they could art slideshows and make a lot of money that way. People care about this poo poo and even poverty games should be milking those people because it ain't that hard.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Persona 4 Arena's story mode was basically a slideshow and it did pretty good business.

Also doesn't Blazblue have like 4 visual novel games?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So far i've paid like 50-60 bucks and gotten half a dozen fighting games ranging from barely-playable silly anime overdose to more-depth-in-a-single-character-than-i-could-learn-in-a-year games with giant rooster sizes
that's not even counting bbtag, which i'm still waiting on a sale for, which would be the first casual tag game

If i'm any indication for the giant casual mass that doesn't buy every new/obscure title on launch day instead of waiting for a sale i can see why they're struggling to get at least the people who put thousands of hours into each game to whale a bit.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Millions of people would, and not even for cutscenes, they could art slideshows and make a lot of money that way. People care about this poo poo and even poverty games should be milking those people because it ain't that hard.
Don't those gatcha games basically sell tiny jpgs through carefully crafted OCD and make a trillion billion dollars each minute of it

also i've actually tried to get through the blazblue visual novel storymodes and it's such an insane mess, i'd probably play a premium to replace it with nothing but gag reels. Or, more honestly, for them to give a poo poo about netcode

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 29, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/coliflowerz/status/1034482453975511040

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

RoadCrewWorker posted:

giant rooster sizes

heh heh heh

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Literally me playing fighting games

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

When my Vice game is on point.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Can you add the hit/hurtboxes please

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally pulling the trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I was legitimately surprised when I played the story mode or whatever for the first time in any of these games only recently, and discovered that Merkava is loving sapient.

I... just was not expecting (mostly) rational intelligence from an unholy eldritch screeching bird thing with noodle arms.