Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Siets posted:

I have three Shadow Claw Gengar's from the launch days. One has Shadow Ball for his special, and the other two have Dark Pulse. Guides online say that Shadow Claw + Shadow Ball is the way to go, but I was curious if the Dark Pulse Gengars have any value?

Also what do goons use or where do you all go to evaluate and read up on the gym meta?

Dark Pulse isn't good since it loses STAB and has overlapping coverage with Ghost. its other charge moves are better; Shadow Ball is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DizzyBum posted:

Dark Pulse isn't good since it loses STAB and has overlapping coverage with Ghost. its other charge moves are better; Shadow Ball is the best.

Cool thanks! I always forget about STAB.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Why the heck did they get rid of shadow claw as a moveset for Gengar?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Niantic have no idea what they're doing. But they're making so much money they really don't care.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Good news everybody! We're having a gastly community day and if you evolve a gengar during the time it will learn a special move ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
also you will get idk, let's say triple xp from trading during the 3 hour window

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

seiferguy posted:

Why the heck did they get rid of shadow claw as a moveset for Gengar?

weren't all those fixes Niantic randomly assigning moves that 'sounded right,' but then gamefreaks pointed out "Actually that pokemon can't learn that move.." so they had to remove moves that couldn't actually be learned from the move list? And 90% of the time it was bad moves anyway, or replaced by something identical just a different name, but then you had corner cases like shadow claw that were the best in slot move.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, huh. I was going to ditch this old Gengar because he's only like 75% IV and his charge move is poison, but he has shadowclaw.

...maybe I should keep him around.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wheany posted:

also you will get idk, let's say triple xp from trading during the 3 hour window

Is the joke that trading gives 0xp so 0 x 3 = 0

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gengar with focus blast owns though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mustached Demon posted:

Gengar with focus blast owns though.

Incorrect. Gengar with focus blast always gets auto-selected into my party despite getting set up against someone with Zen Headbutt and proceeds to get owned.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

seiferguy posted:

Incorrect. Gengar with focus blast always gets auto-selected into my party despite getting set up against someone with Zen Headbutt and proceeds to get owned.

Mine has racked up 200+ wins. Up there with Coors Light the 8/2016 Vaporeon, YourMom the Dragonite, and Chomper the Ttar!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Bobulus posted:

Oh, huh. I was going to ditch this old Gengar because he's only like 75% IV and his charge move is poison, but he has shadowclaw.

...maybe I should keep him around.

I see a lot of trade requests for this moveset and any other legacy moveset so I'd keep it around, personally.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I have three stables worth of ghastly/haunter and plenty of candy just in case October has shadow claw gengar community day.

Gengar is cool regardless though

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Huh turns out I have a 65IV Shadow Claw/Ball Gengar just collecting dust

:slick:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Coolness Averted posted:

weren't all those fixes Niantic randomly assigning moves that 'sounded right,' but then gamefreaks pointed out "Actually that pokemon can't learn that move.." so they had to remove moves that couldn't actually be learned from the move list? And 90% of the time it was bad moves anyway, or replaced by something identical just a different name, but then you had corner cases like shadow claw that were the best in slot move.

Gengar can learn Shadow Claw in the games. It can’t learn Sludge Wave though which they also removed, and I actually have a Gengar that knows both legacy moves, it’s one of my oldest Pokemon.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Okay so in case y’all didn’t know, getting a lucky pokemon in a trade has a "secret" side effect: it changes the background of the pokedex for that pokemon. Like so:

This discovery has sparked a frenzy within my local Pogo community, and now we’re all trading pokemon all the time in the vain hope of getting closer to getting the full lucky pokedex.

I’m not gonna complain. I got this perfect 100% fellow yesterday

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Tortank is an awesome translation

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone ever catch a shiny with a gotcha?

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
I haven't personally, but a friend has with his Go+.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Robokomodo posted:

I have twice. Neither one of them was a community day!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Robokomodo posted:

Yeah my girlfriend got a bunch on that weekend the shiny plusle/minun were released. She caught as many just sat in one place as I did walking around for three hours.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Do shinies have a smaller catch rate? Simple math averages says I should’ve caught at least one, right? I have about 44000 Pokémon caught, at least 15-20k are gotcha or go+ before I switched. And all my shinies are ones that I manually caught.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Robokomodo posted:

Yes, several.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
gently caress.

5 minutes into the Return of Pidgey/Rattata/Weedle and I'm depressed

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Robokomodo posted:

Many.

On Eevee Days I caught more shinies with the Gotcha than by hand.

And both my shiny Swablu too.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I'm a go-tcha believer, regularly deleting great balls. I moved from South Carolina where most ppl had one account and maybe a go plus. Now in Cali I regularly see Asian auntie's and uncle's walk to a raid with a cardboard box with 2-5 phones, some with a go-tcha strapped to each phone. 🤨

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

bitprophet posted:

Is there a known issue with the "Catch a pokemon 3 days in a row" quest in the Celebi line? I've caught a brazillion pokemon both yesterday and today but it still thinks I'm only at 1 day in a row so far. I did get up to that 1 day earlier and then had a few days of no PokeGo (yes…that's a thing), not sure if that screwed it up or what.

Of course, since it's special research it's not like I can delete it and hope to get it again to reset it, like I might with a bugged field research :v:

Did anyone figure out a resolution to this? It happened to my 5 year olds account and the future quests are going to take him long enough without this glitch effing him.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Did anyone figure out a resolution to this? It happened to my 5 year olds account and the future quests are going to take him long enough without this glitch effing him.

Nope. Niantic did acknowledge the issue, though. In the meantime, just keep trying to catch and hope it unsticks. :shrug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
My Go-tcha shipped today! :woop:

Hopefully the wait on shipping from the UK to Canada won't be too long. :negative:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

RodShaft posted:

I read somewhere about emailing their tech support but in sort of a "lol maybe this will help" way.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BGrifter posted:

My Go-tcha shipped today! :woop:

Hopefully the wait on shipping from the UK to Canada won't be too long. :negative:

The one I just bought shipped today as well. Took about 3 ish days to reach me in Missouri. My guess would be Saturday, but we'll see

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Tried out my Go-Tcha today. It worked pretty well at grabbing Pokemon even up to 30mph, but I couldn't get it to collect items above the manual 20mph limit. I get the Stop notification but no items. Still pretty decent though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you want to it to spin while driving its best to disable catching. It will always prioritize catching over spinning and stops/gyms tend to always have pokemon spawning around them.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Away all Goats posted:

If you want to it to spin while driving its best to disable catching. It will always prioritize catching over spinning and stops/gyms tend to always have pokemon spawning around them.

The only thing I really wish I could change, I'd love for it to allow me to set priorities to actions

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I had catching disabled and it still wouldn't collect items. The in-game stop notification would appear and the stop would slowly spin to indicate it's in range, but no items or purple color. I'm going to test more tomorrow.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah, I had catching disabled and it still wouldn't collect items. The in-game stop notification would appear and the stop would slowly spin to indicate it's in range, but no items or purple color.

The thing doesn't always turn purple on mine, but the device itself shows the items as gained.

Not saying it did or didn't work for you, might just be a weird bug like I have.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

DizzyBum posted:

Nope. Niantic did acknowledge the issue, though. In the meantime, just keep trying to catch and hope it unsticks. :shrug:

I guess I'll just leave his account off for a day and see if that resets it. I'm assuming that's been tried and failed considering the size of the community and my googling coming up with no solutions.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Last night after not doing any thing different or interrupting my streak my quest ticked down to 1/3. Nothing I caught today counted so I'm hoping it'll go back to normal tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
yo, i need new friends for that quest thing. if you want someone from hobart, tasmania add me on 1775 6180 9112

• Locked thread