Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, I dont think their chuds. But they are those guys who look at most modern big sci fi and action movies and just wish they were teens again when the kind of movies they liked were still being made.

Which is why Best of the Worst and Re:view are their better shows now.

That’s not really fair as those movies were different and it’s not really nostalgia based. Sci fi movies aren’t really made in the same way they used to and I think being upset about that if your a fan of that is legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not really fair as those movies were different and it’s not really nostalgia based. Sci fi movies aren’t really made in the same way they used to and I think being upset about that if your a fan of that is legit.

They miss mid-budget movies with novel premises, which is something we can all agree there should be more of. They loving loved Annihilation, for example

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If consistency isn't a problem, why do film productions employ script supervisors, one of whose roles is to catch continuity errors? Do studios enjoy throwing money away on completely unnecessary roles? This isn't some issue that was made up in the late 2000's due to listicles or whatever.

I mean, scripts are large projects and rewrites are going to touch little pieces of it locally. It's easy in any even remotely large work to do enough local rewrites that the whole doesn't really make sense because you forgot to change throwaway line at section A to account for the revised resolution at section C. This is why editors and script supervisors and such need to exist and have a good idea of the whole thing.

Consistency is important, but again, little inconsistencies aren't always a big deal. They're at most a chuckle or two. The problem is when you either get a critical number of little inconsistencies or you hit some kind of load bearing one on which the whole premise of the film rests. And it's not just factual or in-universe inconsistencies, things like tonal inconsistencies are issues too.

Writing is an art, and sometimes it can pay to leave a little inconsistency nobody is going to care about in just to focus on more important things. Sometimes trying to smooth over a plot hole can gently caress over the tone of a scene, or be too much work to be worth bothering given the impact restructuring around avoiding it would cause. Conversely, entirely ignoring it will cause a disjointed mess that either nobody can follow, or something that just feels fake and hollow. There's no universal answer like "all plot holes are bad" or "plot holes are just nerd bullshit because they don't affect ~themes~". In most cases, paving over plot holes isn't too difficult and helps the audience focus on the movie and keeps everything consistent, so in general it pays to do it, but I don't think you can judge the mere presence of a minor plot hole as a wart because sometimes it may have legitimately been the best way to tell the story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

business hammocks posted:

They miss mid-budget movies with novel premises, which is something we can all agree there should be more of. They loving loved Annihilation, for example

Yeah they can be a little old man yells at clouds but they do seem to genuinely like movies and they aren’t just contrarians who hate modern movies because they are supposed to hate them or like movies because they are supposed to. They just give you their opinions, no bullshit, which is why I like them.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

They’re from the Ernest Cline generation of white nerd boys who are about as conservative as all the men of their generation but have never been challenged by anyone enough to think about it. They’re well-meaning white boys who live in an all-white culture, which means they have stupid ideas they’ve never interrogated like “race has never been a problem for me, so I don’t think it’s a problem for anyone” and “women can enjoy The Godfather and Star Wars like I can, so movies targeted as women are unnecessary and dumb.”

You know them personally then?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BigRed0427 posted:

Should I take it down? I just thought it was funny he wrote THAT many words about it. :ohdear:

Nah, it's fine. I was just thinking, "Man, dude wrote like 1200 words about this. Holy crap." Then as I was working on my post, I realized how long it was getting (only ended up being a quarter as long as YMS's, though. :toot:) Only really skimmed through YMS's comment, though, so I don't know if I hit on some of the same points or not.

khwarezm posted:

The way I think of it, is to apply Matt Groening's idea of 'stretching' reality in cartoons, except in this case it's things like logic or character intelligence, basically you can stretch things to quite a length and overall it will work but eventually it will snap and everything falls asunder. That's when people start to get annoyed about about contrivances and unexplained events that they might otherwise ignore. Obviously that's very subjective but I think it's pretty obvious in some things like Prometheus where they've just pushed their luck too hard for most people to accept the basic suspension of disbelief that the experience needs.

I think it's the cartoon comparison but also the Superman 3 thing, where I can believe he can fly because of the sun, but I find it implausible that he can wipe a person's memory via kiss. There's a certain give-and-take or limit to how far you can bend things before people start taking issue.

Paladin posted:

I always thought the real issue with fridge-nuke is that anything that comes after it in terms of danger feels underwhelming by comparison. It's the least of Crystal Skull's problems, but it is a problem. Hard to feel danger in Campus-Car-Chase when you just walked away from a nuke right out of the gate.

Plus, film Indy's only been unstoppable when he upholds a holy covenant, so it lets you know a few minutes into the film that this movie is spiritually empty and thematically disconnected from everything else that came before it. That would be fine if the void was filled with something better, but it wasn't.

The Plinkett review for Crystal Skull pointed out how it's a shot that represented Indiana Jones entering the Nuclear Age.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

As much as I dislike Shamus

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you dislike Shamus?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 28, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Man, a couple of years back I heard rumors they were trying to make a Foundation movie series happen, that would have been an absolute disaster.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

e X posted:

Man, a couple of years back I heard rumors they were trying to make a Foundation movie series happen, that would have been an absolute disaster.

A Foundation movie series done by Roland Emmerich. I feel that's an important distinction to make, and I almost kinda want to get a glimpse into the alternate universe where that happened.

Now I think they're just working on a cable TV miniseries in the vein of game of thrones or whatnot, but that's been in limbo for a few years now too so :shrug:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you dislike Shamus?

I know Mumbles, Josh, and Campster personally and let's just say the way the whole split up went wasn't um... good. Shamus isn't exactly a huge chud, but he's an aggressively centrist "politics are stupid and I'm above them" person, and chose not taking a stance and banning really gross misogynistic and abuse-enabling poo poo in his comments over his actual friends. I don't know how much detail I should go into, because it's a bit personal and I don't want to slip anything told to me in confidence that I thought was more or less public knowledge. Josh wrote up a blog about it on the Spoiler Warning Patreon here.

Then a noted chud literally tracked Shamus down in real life and convinced him to do the new Diecast with him.

To be clear, on the post when they split up, the new host literally wrote this gem in the comments:

quote:

As long as I’m speculating, I may as well voice my view, that Spoiler Warning fell apart because the hosts of Spoiler Warning were trying to draw Shamus into their world, and it was not a world Shamus wanted to enter. Josh brought cynical, profane, world-weariness. Chris brought erudite, timorous, political correctness. Mumbles brought boisterous, visceral, feminism. This desire to vaunt ones own philosophy is natural, and I credit Mumbles, Josh, and Chris with the merit of sacrificing their comfort, over the period of years, in order to help a friend.

"Visceral feminism"

There's no huge receipts. You're not gonna find Shamus denying the holocaust or Trump apologizing or hating trans people or something, but he's been very lovely about refusing to take literally any stance or do literally anything to moderate even when not doing so is causing direct mental anguish to his friends (like it did with Mumbles, who literally broke down crying from the comments several times).

A good one was when Mumbles got hurt by someone in the comments and when she asked Shamus to moderate he apologized for "not catching it sooner" and assumed the one she thought was bad was the one pointedly accusing her of being "a feminist" :v: rather than I think one calling women bitches.

TLDR; Shamus is aggressively apolitical online, and while avoiding politics can be a good decision, there came a point where literally doing anything was necessary to not be an rear end in a top hat and he routinely dug his heels in.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Based on the social media presence they keep, Rich and Mike are kind of unknown quantities, Jay engages with politics rarely and just kinda prefers talking about movies, and Josh and Jack are pretty politically outspoken, and bring up their disdain for like toxic masculinity or frustration with racist hollywood hiring practices. I can't imagine that the whole of the group averages too far away from that though.

Calling them chuds seems like it's missing the mark pretty hard.

rich and jack said in a previously recorded livestream that they were 'very liberal', so there's that too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

rich and jack said in a previously recorded livestream that they were 'very liberal', so there's that too.

From what I've seen of late especially on Half In The Bag, Jay seems like he's drifting further rightward, but that could just be him deapan mocking all the right wing cranks who going to die angry about The Last Jedi for some dumbfuck reason.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Does Jay have a setting beyond deadpan mocking anymore?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Rich is the one who seems to have the worst politics, especially that ching-chong chinaman impression in a BOTW, but even he seems to regret that and doesn't defend some of his worst jokes. In 2016 he seemed to be fond of Bernie Sanders and absolutely loathed Clinton to the point that he didn't vote, but he's definitely not a Trumper and they made fun of Trump voters a number of times in their videos and streams.

That's very frustrating, I like Shamus's commentary and I was kind of glad in some ways to see a site trying to shut out all the political stuff from Gamergate to Trump and just talk about videgames but you always also got that impression that in trying to be above it all he just let some stupid poo poo fester instead.

I have to be honest though, when Mumbles was on the diecast she often got really cutting and was constantly slagging everyone in a way that stopped being funny after a while and just came across as kind of dickish.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

TLDR; Shamus is aggressively apolitical online, and while avoiding politics can be a good decision, there came a point where literally doing anything was necessary to not be an rear end in a top hat and he routinely dug his heels in.

I sort of figured it about the split from Spoiler Warning, since I remember reading about that. I read Shamus's post on it, and between him and Josh, it sounds like the split was somewhat amicable.

I don't follow the Diecast or SpoilerWarning (outside of watching their commentary on Hitman Absolution). I haven't even really followed Twenty Sided as of late. I still like Shamus's critique, but I get where you're coming from.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 29, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The fact that the RLM seem to keep politics out of their stuff (for the most part) is not bad at all imo.

I do agree that the time for Plinkett is long gone, and I loved it when it came out. A plinkett style (but not using the character) dissection of the Matrix Sequels would be amazing though. :allears:
RLM is at their best during Re:View and BotW anyway, that are the type of schlock they love, and they are at their best when they are sorta embarrassed by how much they like objectively badly made, but charming, stuff. I relate to liking bad, but still good a lot personally.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I mean, if you like Shamus that's fine, but I'm friends with the people he hurt so it's a bit different for me :v:. I do still appreciate some of his points regardless.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Anyway, in an attempt to move towards a more benign topic matter, I thought I'd give a recommendation for Nitro Rad. I don't think he's real known, but I found his channel recently, and he does some pretty good videos, a lot of which seem to be on platformers and horror game. He hits a nice median between formal analysis while still interjecting laid-back, informal commentary on a game's strengths and issues (I'd maybe compare him somewhat to SuperBunnyHop). He's covered well-known stuff like the Mario games and whatnot, but he's covered some more obscure, forgotten stuff like Jersey Devil, Voodoo Vince, and Blinx.

Here's his video on Pac-Man World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utH69srxFC0

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 29, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Pages of RLM and Star Wars make me wanna die but...lol, That correction. RAH. MAD TING.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nothing worse than talking about Internet personalities in the Internet personalities thread

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am pretty sure they just do the Star Wars Plinkett reviews out of obligation, because it is what made them famous. From the HitB episodes on pretty much any given star wars related movie that came out in recent years, you can basically gather that they don't really care about the franchise whatsoever.

They were film nerds who liked the originals, thought the prequels were disappointing , and made a huge as video to explain why they failed as movies. But it doesn't seem like any of them were ever huge obsessive Star wars nerds.

edit: As evidenced by the best video they ever did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

e X fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 29, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I keep an eye on his stuff, but definitely at arms' length. He actually stated his angle pretty clearly a few days ago - he's not against discussing politics in a detached, academic sense, but he doesn't give a poo poo about actual politics and the people involved therein. You can kind of see the logic to it, but it's also a drat cold way of approaching things and frankly I feel like every other comment section ends up with at least one "this may or may not break the no politics rule but..." post anyway. The fact that he's maybe-but-not-confirmed on the spectrum might have something to do with it, honestly.

Also jeez Harry, the The Last Jedi isn't a story about the rebels' original base or about how Rey gets back to the Falcon. Plinkett's just not very good at watching movies I guess. :rolleye:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I prefer Plinkett's first review of The Last Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PIGM9InBJE

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
If I never hear about TLJ again, it'll be too soon. And I liked the movie!

Really, the reaction to TLJ is a microcosm of what's wrong with this godforsaken nation. On one side you've got disgusting chuds bitching about SJWs because one of the characters is a woman with purple hair, and then you've got people on the other side overcompensating by defending loving Disney, of all things.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I would just like to say that RLM are awesome hackfrauds but if that's the last Plinkett/Star Wars thing then thank god

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're seeing the next Star War and they're going to enjoy it and say it fixed all the problems in the HITB, and then in the Plinkett review they'll go 'No it was bad my brain was seduced by JJ ABRAMS!"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Max Wilco posted:

Anyway, in an attempt to move towards a more benign topic matter, I thought I'd give a recommendation for Nitro Rad. I don't think he's real known, but I found his channel recently, and he does some pretty good videos, a lot of which seem to be on platformers and horror game. He hits a nice median between formal analysis while still interjecting laid-back, informal commentary on a game's strengths and issues (I'd maybe compare him somewhat to SuperBunnyHop). He's covered well-known stuff like the Mario games and whatnot, but he's covered some more obscure, forgotten stuff like Jersey Devil, Voodoo Vince, and Blinx.

Here's his video on Pac-Man World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utH69srxFC0

My interest in lets plays is from thinking games and their design are really, really neat but there's too many and no one person can ever play them all, so I'm glad people like this guy, Noah, and Ross Scott are just doing detailed review formats with excerpts for games, so people can learn from their designs and find the ones that interest them.
I think this guy must be getting a youtube push, got recommended to me a while ago as well. Decided might as well because 3d platformers are an interesting curiosity.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

It's been out for a few days, but Matthew Matosis recently did a case study of the most recent God of War game. It mainly discusses the use of camera, the combat system, and "the boy" as a gameplay element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IERHMMXeshc&index=8&list=WL&t=0s

Tangential Aside: I won't argue with his point that the Batman: Arkham games have shallow combat, but it seems to me that lately the nebulous term of "glorified quick-time event" is popping up with more and more frequency in videos. Maybe in a couple years we'll have a plot holes style video about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Conal Cochran posted:

It's been out for a few days, but Matthew Matosis recently did a case study of the most recent God of War game. It mainly discusses the use of camera, the combat system, and "the boy" as a gameplay element.

Tangential Aside: I won't argue with his point that the Batman: Arkham games have shallow combat, but it seems to me that lately the nebulous term of "glorified quick-time event" is popping up with more and more frequency in videos. Maybe in a couple years we'll have a plot holes style video about it.

There is a review of Dragon Quest 11 that calls dialogue boxes quick time events.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zedd posted:

The fact that the RLM seem to keep politics out of their stuff (for the most part) is not bad at all imo.

I do agree that the time for Plinkett is long gone, and I loved it when it came out. A plinkett style (but not using the character) dissection of the Matrix Sequels would be amazing though. :allears:
RLM is at their best during Re:View and BotW anyway, that are the type of schlock they love, and they are at their best when they are sorta embarrassed by how much they like objectively badly made, but charming, stuff. I relate to liking bad, but still good a lot personally.

i don't mine when they do plinkett once and awhile. but i prefere wheel of the worse and such more. personally, i liked 8 but i understand why they don't care for it. yeah some of the stuff is nit picks but the idea is sound. you have a young talented director who wanted to different stuff but his vision got muddles by putting story in full service of themes(sometimes it works sometimes it doest) and didn't have people helping him focus stuff.

Conal Cochran posted:

lol. that isnt quick time events. its more reaction prompts. i count quick times as random button promps during cutscenes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When you really think about it, just the act of pressing buttons in response to events occurring on screen during a video game is just a glorified quick-time event.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I would just like to say that RLM are awesome hackfrauds but if that's the last Plinkett/Star Wars thing then thank god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Cf-6vKVWg

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Based off Josh's twitter I think he is also a DSA member/socialist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The people losing their minds over the Plinkett review is entertaining to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is a review of Dragon Quest 11 that calls dialogue boxes quick time events.

:psyduck:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

achillesforever6 posted:

Based off Josh's twitter I think he is also a DSA member/socialist

I'd be super stoked if that were true

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My interest in lets plays is from thinking games and their design are really, really neat but there's too many and no one person can ever play them all, so I'm glad people like this guy, Noah, and Ross Scott are just doing detailed review formats with excerpts for games, so people can learn from their designs and find the ones that interest them.
I think this guy must be getting a youtube push, got recommended to me a while ago as well. Decided might as well because 3d platformers are an interesting curiosity.

Yeah, I didn't notice him appear in the related vids until recently. The recommended videos are really weird in regards to things like that. There was another guy called Pikasprey who also started popped up in related vids (his stuff is also pretty good), but it's not clear what criteria determines the more obscure channels to start appearing.

To your other point, the reason why I really admire people like Ross Scott, LGR, PushingUpRoses, BrutalMoose, and a lot of the various Let's Players, reviewers, and similar video game channels is because they've documented a lot of really old, obscure games that have been forgotten. Seeing Ross Scott do videos on games like RAMA and Arcade America were a great delight for me, since those were games I played and adored as a child, but seldom few people have heard of them.

I had always wanted to review or talk about a lot of the weird, old games that I had when I was growing up, but for different reasons (mostly laziness and a lack of confidence), I never did. Nowadays, it seems like a good number of those games have been documented by other people, so I feel like it would be seen as redundant or as copying others. Regardless, I'm still glad there's an effort to archive these games for others to see. :unsmith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

e X posted:

I am pretty sure they just do the Star Wars Plinkett reviews out of obligation, because it is what made them famous. From the HitB episodes on pretty much any given star wars related movie that came out in recent years, you can basically gather that they don't really care about the franchise whatsoever.

They were film nerds who liked the originals, thought the prequels were disappointing , and made a huge as video to explain why they failed as movies. But it doesn't seem like any of them were ever huge obsessive Star wars nerds.

edit: As evidenced by the best video they ever did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

I forgot how loving golden that video was. As a huge Star Wars nerd I adore videos of people just dunking on its dumb lore.

BUDGET CONSTRAINTS

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

*digs through Mike's mail for a month" OK GUYS I FINALLY HAVE THE EVIDENCE THAT RLM IS ALT RIGHT

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

40-Degree Day posted:

*digs through Mike's mail for a month" OK GUYS I FINALLY HAVE THE EVIDENCE THAT RLM IS ALT RIGHT

They don’t call him Third Reich Mike for nothin! :v: Only the RLM subreddit does, and only as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've never gotten the hysteria of people trying really hard to call RLM secret nazis or whatever, you can dislike the same movies as some terrible people and not share their views, the new Ghostbusters was abysmal, it wasn't because the cast was ladies.