Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

hey mr fart powered cars a regulator with a state DOT has contacted me, because he's had trouble finding honest insiders when dealing with tesla etc.

anyway if you're interested in talking to this guy and haven't been assassinated by a tesla goon with a mac-10 let me know or email me or something

please be extra vigilant with identity verification if you do this and maybe communicate through a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

mr farty cars should def use atomicthumbs as his liaison

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Clockwerk posted:

fraid i'm gonna have to abstain from this one, im just a facilitator here

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
as in i facilitate things back and forth between two websites

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1034641643838889984

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Jimmy Carter posted:

So Ol' Musky has the tracklogs for his private jet hidden on FlightAware and the like.

Turns out that a bunch of Airplane Nerds put together a network of receivers that aggregate the ADS-B transmissions from airplanes, and their take is 'the data is broadcast, unencrypted in the open so we're not going to participate in something stupid when it doesn't do anything to actually improve security' so here's where you watch to see when he heads up to Burning Man for the weekend

They claim to process petabytes of data monthly, that seems insane. How could a project of that scale be donor funded?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

PBS posted:

They claim to process petabytes of data monthly, that seems insane. How could a project of that scale be donor funded?

That's probably the aggregate size of the raw sensor data and it's processed, de-duped, and reduced at various points across the network? :shrug:

Actually storing petabytes of data will run you low five figgies per month for most cloud storage providers so yeah, they probably aren't retaining it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

atomicthumbs posted:

facilitate.avi

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Clockwerk posted:

"how was i supposed to know it was musk all i did was pass it along as I was told"

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

mrmcd posted:

That's probably the aggregate size of the raw sensor data and it's processed, de-duped, and reduced at various points across the network? :shrug:

Actually storing petabytes of data will run you low five figgies per month for most cloud storage providers so yeah, they probably aren't retaining it.

Seems like they store a fair amount of historical data, the column descriptions don't make it seem too storage intensive but it's still at least 13B rows in redshift.

Source: https://www.adsbexchange.com/datafields/ & https://www.adsbexchange.com/redshift/

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hello, whistleblower!

It is I, a good honest government regulator. Since I understand your need for a light touch in these delicate matters feel free to email me at my personal address, not.a.pinkerton@gmail.com

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

facilitate.avi

fuckin' classy :discourse:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PBS posted:

Seems like they store a fair amount of historical data, the column descriptions don't make it seem too storage intensive but it's still at least 13B rows in redshift.

Source: https://www.adsbexchange.com/datafields/ & https://www.adsbexchange.com/redshift/

redshift is priced $3k/tb/year, so that's about usd100/year
small enough for someone to just pick up the tab

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

redshift is priced $3k/tb/year, so that's about usd100/year
small enough for someone to just pick up the tab

You think that's only 34GB? Out of curiosity how did you estimate that?

mewse
May 2, 2006

*musk wearing moustache* I'd like to speak to your friend about the bad posts he made about Mr. Musk

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

atomicthumbs posted:

))<>((

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PBS posted:

You think that's only 34GB? Out of curiosity how did you estimate that?

pullin it out of my rear end

could be like 10x higher before it beats my monthly personal aws bill

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

maybe humans should be on zero planets

I mean, you aren't wrong...

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

pullin it out of my rear end

My out of the rear end estimate is several TB. Don't care enough to spend the time trying to figure it out though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the most shameful humblebrag

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

the most shameful humblebrag

thats a hundred dollars per month, it's not real peeps money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

thats a hundred dollars per month, it's not real peeps money

that's why it's most shameful

i misread 100 / year as 100 / month and thought you were spending kilodollars monthly on aws bullshit :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

remember ol musky's galaxy brain logic that obviously the literal hero diver is a pedo because he hasn't sued him for calling him a pedo? welp

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1034814019507376128

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:yeshaha:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

elon musk is a shameful rear end in a top hat moron

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol. eat poo poo, elon.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Waiting for the Tesla board to give him the ultimatum of continuing as CEO or keeping his Twitter.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

there are people richer than elon and 10x as bad. their secret to success? they keep their yaps shut and don't have a twitter account so no one knows who they are. what a moran.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ultraklystron posted:

Waiting for the Tesla board to give him the ultimatum of continuing as CEO or keeping his Twitter.

if not for that pesky native born citizen thing he'd give up CEO and it'd be Trump v Musk in 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

if not for that pesky native born citizen thing he'd give up CEO and it'd be Trump v Musk in 2020

i'd bank on trump/musk instead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

musk wouldn't play second fiddle to trump

mewse
May 2, 2006

President Beep posted:

i'd bank on trump/musk instead.

Trump And The Apprentice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

there are people richer than elon and 10x as bad. their secret to success? they keep their yaps shut and don't have a twitter account so no one knows who they are. what a moran.

this is true

the ultrawealthy don't discuss money that's just gauche (and tends to get you robbed or murdered or torn apart by angry mobs)

dumbass scions of the wealthy bragposting on instagram and getting robbed while on vacation is p great tho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1034830872527220736

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:lol:

https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1034456203890372609

this whole thread

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Endless Mike posted:

remember ol musky's galaxy brain logic that obviously the literal hero diver is a pedo because he hasn't sued him for calling him a pedo? welp

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1034814019507376128

*teleports behind donald trump* sorry kiddo but the student has become the teacher

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and the chickens are coming home to roost.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao, they stacked the deck with spacex employees, at the public meeting no one attended

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

musk wouldn't play second fiddle to trump

he can't, anyway. vp candidates have to meet the same requirements as president candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grahms ah've done too much ecid till me wha ah cin't be prisadent agin