Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Screama posted:

Why is Esparza still getting a main card slot?

Because she's a former champion and they're trying to put her opponent over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screama posted:

Why is Esparza still getting a main card slot?

Probably a left over stipulation from the contract she got off winning TUF and being a champion.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Probably a left over stipulation from the contract she got off winning TUF and being a champion.

She's had six bouts since winning the show tho

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Unless Suarez turns out to have developed no striking defense, she seems like she's at minimum going to be a perennial top contender within the next year or two. Although Esparza did rock Gadelha in their fight, she was also outwrestled by her, so UFC probably figures an Olympic calibre wrestler will be able to handle her and put her in a position to fight a top 5 opponent the next time out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Again, asking why Esparza is getting the a good spot is the same as asking why Cole Miller was booked to a headliner in Dublin. They're giving Suarez the main card spot, and Esparza gets to come along because she happens to be the meat in front of the star they're trying to build.

And she's not even on the main card. She's the top of the TV prelims.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

CommonShore posted:

And she's not even on the main card. She's the top of the TV prelims.

UFC.com shows it as being a main card fight. But they also haven't removed Magomedsharipov/Rodriguez, so who knows.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

Because she's a former champion and they're trying to put her opponent over.

Lol

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Cowboy is on Rogan's podcast right now. Apparently Jackson/Wink is cornering Perry for their fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hes pissed at mike winkeljohn

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well.... OK. Ultimate Fighter! We gotta talk about it for two reasons, first this next season of TUF will not be the final season, apparently ESPN has decided that they would like to have their own seasons of TUF produced next year, so the show will go on, and second... the first episode of the newest TUF will air... tonight!

It was going to start later this year, but for whatever reason they moved the schedule up, so here we go. This season of TUF is called "Heavy Hitters", for an extremely obvious reason: they feature the heaviest weight class for both men and women. So, this season is men's heavyweight and women's featherweight. This makes a lot of sense because the UFC always badly needs heavyweights, and they also badly need to find challengers (cannon fodder) for Cris Cyborg. The coaches are Whitaker and Gastelum. They will fight for the middleweight title sometime in early 2019.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

lmao that espn is dropping a season of a show no one wants with two of the three worst divisions with no warning, beyonce style

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rigel posted:

Well.... OK. Ultimate Fighter! We gotta talk about it for two reasons, first this next season of TUF will not be the final season, apparently ESPN has decided that they would like to have their own seasons of TUF produced next year, so the show will go on, and second... the first episode of the newest TUF will air... tonight!

It was going to start later this year, but for whatever reason they moved the schedule up, so here we go. This season of TUF is called "Heavy Hitters", for an extremely obvious reason: they feature the heaviest weight class for both men and women. So, this season is men's heavyweight and women's featherweight. This makes a lot of sense because the UFC always badly needs heavyweights, and they also badly need to find challengers (cannon fodder) for Cris Cyborg. The coaches are Whitaker and Gastelum. They will fight for the middleweight title sometime in early 2019.

Did you c/p this from somewhere because I haven't seen someone excited for TUF in years

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
donald cerrone is talking all types of poo poo about jackson/wink and giving up some hilarious insider info

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
All heavyweight tuf season 10 is some of the greatest tv there's ever been.

That said there's absolutely no reason to be excited or interested in TUF at all right now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Skip My Posts posted:

donald cerrone is talking all types of poo poo about jackson/wink and giving up some hilarious insider info

Please relay this info

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
It's right from the beginning. He's loving going off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TKUEpbtJ8

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
greg jackson is a lame duck who is out of hte loop and winkeljohn runs everything and has run the gym into the ground. its all about money now, some guy off the street can come in and pay 50 bucks to join pro practice and spar with holly holm or whoever. new guys coming in are trying ot make a name by basically all out fighting veteran pros in sparring instead of working with them and preparing them. there is a ton of head coaching turnover, their new head wrestling coach was a secretary for a chiropractor before getting his spot and hsi only credentials are being fired as an assistant coach at some small college for selling the wrestlers steroids. he called jon jones a lazy moon cricket also

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

greg jackson is a lame duck who is out of hte loop and winkeljohn runs everything and has run the gym into the ground. its all about money now, some guy off the street can come in and pay 50 bucks to join pro practice and spar with holly holm or whoever. new guys coming in are trying ot make a name by basically all out fighting veteran pros in sparring instead of working with them and preparing them. there is a ton of head coaching turnover, their new head wrestling coach was a secretary for a chiropractor before getting his spot and hsi only credentials are being fired as an assistant coach at some small college for selling the wrestlers steroids. he called jon jones a lazy moon cricket also

I believe every word of this

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Werent Jackson Wink fighters on a combined like 47 fight losing/DQ/NC streak within the last year?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bluedeanie posted:

Werent Jackson Wink fighters on a combined like 47 fight losing/DQ/NC streak within the last year?

yeah they broutht that up, he said winkeljohn took their win % from 80-90 to 20 or something

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

Goddamn

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
kinda interesting how much joe was into letting him vent all that poo poo instead of tryin to be diplomatic at all. hes clearly loyal to cerrone

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
drat Cowboy berried Jackson and Wink.

Crazy part was how he wanted to fight Gaethje. UFC said that you cant Make 155. He went down to PI to cut weight just to show them and got offered Perry

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the best thing you can say about Rogan podcast is that he never interrupts someone when they're making a mistake

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seems right. A guy I train with is thinking about doing a fight camp down at Jackson-Wink or TAM, and he said that TAM is 500/week all inclusive, including housing (but no shirts) and Jackson-Wink is like 120/week but that includes nothing and you have to pay in 15 minute increments for coaching or something like that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*Greg Jackson draws a node from "good" to "bad" while walking out the door to a permanent vacation*

Mike Winkeljohn: :hai:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He calls himself "Cowboy" in the 3rd person

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

CommonShore posted:

He calls himself "Cowboy" in the 3rd person

He calls his son "Donald Anthony Cerrone's Son," legally, as his name

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Joe also said that Jackson and Wink were supposed to be on the podcast with Cowboy but because of the split he called Cowboy and asked what was up and Cowboy basically said he wasn't comfortable with them being on with him. Joe is definitely loyal to Cowboy and probably has no real ties to Jackson/Wink.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
Winklejohn is not a real name

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Winklejohn is a real name and the reason he has a glass eye is because he paid his real one as collateral against a maiden's baby in a bet that she couldn't guess it.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

WTF is a moon cricket?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
It's a racial slur.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34745-d2545597-r510300202-Moon_Cricket_Grille-Winter_Garden_Florida.html

Hm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Well I guess I'm not surprised but am disappointed that Cowboy is in fact a racist.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Dude just had a kid and built a ranch. It's just economic anxiety

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

this f-bomb discussion is going to go over well :allears:

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Skip My Posts posted:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This interview rules, just cowboy chugging beers and ranting about Winklejohn

e]Also he is amazed at Joe's incredible intellect

e]lmao he took dmt and turned into a super saiyan I think

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Winkeljohn responded to Cowboy's tirade, basically saying that he has no loyalty to anyone but himself, and he's just blasting them because he's now a competitor with his own gym.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/donald-cerrone-calls-jackson-wink-mma-gym-puppy-mill-mike-perry-ufc-denver

“Loyalty is two sides,” the coach told MMAjunkie. “‘Cowboy’ is not loyal to anybody in the gym. He’s on his own. He does his own thing. He has not, from what I can remember in the last 10 years, ever helped anybody out with their own camp. He’s as narcissistic as they come.”

• Locked thread