Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I wasn't wild about the writing but liked the voice acting. Obviously they've still got a lot of time and we only saw a small slice of the game, so I'm not too worried.

I liked the pistol they were using for most of the demo. After rewatching John wick 2 last night, I really want to make a character all in on speed and slo-mo, and just headshot my way through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
She sounds a like an orphan street urchin dropped out of middle school and cuss like a poor street ganger. I see no problem with the voice acting

Maybe you were fooled by the VA doing a great job at voicing a street urchin?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I also laughed every time he mentioned his enchiladas

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Palpek posted:

It's ok to criticize things in the demo.

The biggest strength of TW3 was the writing and dialogues, to me it really elevated the game leaps above the competition. The conversations were very well written and seemed to consciously avoid the usual fantasy game cliches that Bethesda and Bioware hammered so hard into people's heads over the years. TW3 was different, even random peasant chatter was amusing, they wanted every line to be worth hearing and it paid off.

The dialogues in Cyberpunk demo are back to the usual video-game level imo. The bad voice acting of the player character doesn't help either. There were still some good parts: the conversation with the gang on the couch was cool and reminded me of that CDPR touch and the talk with the quest giver in the car was fine. The lines between the player and the companion were something maybe Rockstar or Bioware would write though. So yeah, they were ok for the low bar of acceptable video game writing but they weren't what CDPR blew my mind with in TW3. Conveying things with body language/facial expressions are also absent in the video.

Still, I'm willing to cut them some slack because it's a demo so it doesn't represent the finished product. The other thing is that from what I understand you can have different companions with you so maybe they had to sacrifice the quality of writing to have all those different missions voiced by different characters (that all should have different things to say) so they had to come up with a lot more material and making all of it good is humanly impossible.

criticizing things is fine, i just find it funny/annoying/stupid when people got legit morally mad at the language being used, i agree its not as classy as witcher, but that was a "classier" setting. I am sure they will have better dialogue/writing in the game. also i thought the voice acting was fine and fit.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"Clean as a oval office in a convent" is actually a pleasant bit of obscenity, something that your Irish great-grandfather might have said. The Hispanic sidekick is currently overwrought, but that's my only objection to the dialogue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

criticizing things is fine, i just find it funny/annoying/stupid when people got legit morally mad at the language being used, i agree its not as classy as witcher, but that was a "classier" setting. I am sure they will have better dialogue/writing in the game. also i thought the voice acting was fine and fit.

I think you're confusing "morally offended" for "tedious and tiresome." Nobody is getting their panties in a twist over the use of obscenity, it's quite the opposite effect where it actually comes off as very rote and cliche.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Jesus Christ my Voice Actor *Head exploded*

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This thread: hmm compared to monotone geralt the voice acting for the demo is terrible. He said the C word.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
How is it rote, exactly?

Has their been a secret series of games coming out what have been crass as gently caress (language wise) and also well made? Please point me in the direction of said games so I can buy all of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, I don't care about the swearing, it's a harsh world and it will have harsh words and portray unpleasant types. I'd prefer it to be better written/delivered though. In contrast the evironmental storytelling was top notch, a lot of things in the streets that I only noticed on the second viewing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody is getting their panties in a twist over the use of obscenity, it's quite the opposite effect where it actually comes off as very rote and cliche.

This thread had several pages of people being morally outraged over the word oval office

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I don't care about the swearing, it's a harsh world and it will have harsh words and portray unpleasant types. I'd prefer it to be better written/delivered though. In contrast the evironmental storytelling was top notch, a lot of things in the streets that I only noticed on the second viewing.

In a stunning turn of events the voice acting in the demo isn't a fully polished, finished product.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TheRat posted:

This thread had several pages of people being morally outraged over the word oval office

thats a wildly inaccurate reading of the discussion lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TheRat posted:

Show me then? All I remember seeing were other people like myself who thought the dialogue was, as the kids say, tryhard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheRat posted:

nah, that was resetera. most of the people here just said, "its kinda lazy/cliche/etc".

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

people like myself who thought the dialogue was, as the kids say, tryhard.

I often get the feeling some people in this thread have lived in a very tiny bubble. You don't have to go very far out of your comfort zone to find real life people who talk like the characters in the demo.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

exquisite tea posted:

, as the kids say, tryhard.
What if that’s the what the character is suppose to be? A street urchin trying to act like a top brass and failed poorly?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Aside from Hispanic sidekick, what are the specific objections to the dialogue?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

TheRat posted:

I often get the feeling some people in this thread have lived in a very tiny bubble. You don't have to go very far out of your comfort zone to find real life people who talk like the characters in the demo.

Agreed. I hear worse in NYC daily.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nyaa posted:

What if that’s the what the character is suppose to be? A street urchin trying to act like a top brass and failed poorly?

can do it without the word oval office, cause its a loaded word that riles people up to little benefit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Glenn Quebec posted:

In a stunning turn of events the voice acting in the demo isn't a fully polished, finished product.

it IS a fully polish product though

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So is oval office just a very common swear word in the cyberpunk universe? Like how cocksucker is used so often in deadwood? I’m genuinely curious

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Nothing decent just nerds harumphing bad words as cliche or rote or whatever. Or deriding the demos voice actors as subpar compared to unflappable geralts monotone.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

So is oval office just a very common swear word in the cyberpunk universe? Like how cocksucker is used so often in deadwood? I’m genuinely curious

It's a very common swear word in most of the English speaking world.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i'm pretty sure it replaces at least 20 normal words in australia

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also this game will come out and be good but the director's cut two years later will be incredible

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

A bit wooden at parts, some of the diction seems a bit forced to help it fit in with the stylized nature of it, what with made up slang like gangoons and eddies being tossed around. The obscenity felt a bit lazy and some people will get annoyed if oval office is used constantly throughout the game, since it is in the demo twice. The ripperdoc was done super well and that whole interaction owned, most of the rest was real good. its a demo and everyone here has commented on it in that context.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Mad Wack posted:

i'm pretty sure it replaces at least 20 normal words in australia
Replacing oval office with twenty different cuss word seem a bit... Tryhard.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

It's a very common swear word in most of the English speaking world.

so is the n bomb in the right areas. oval office is extremely different in use from america to commonwealth countries and while its certainly used its never in the same casual manner as aussies do.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

so is the n bomb in the right areas. oval office is extremely different in use from america to commonwealth countries and while its certainly used its never in the same casual manner as assuies do.

Sweet baby jesus, are you unironically comparing oval office to the n-word?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, which I also wrote about.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

WoodrowSkillson posted:

so is the n bomb in the right areas. oval office is extremely different in use from america to commonwealth countries and while its certainly used its never in the same casual manner as aussies do.

Hahahaha WHAT

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

Sweet baby jesus, are you unironically comparing oval office to the n-word?

No, if i was i would have typed them both, but both will incite significant reactions when used so they are on a similar spectrum of slurs. oval office is different as its use is widespread in commonwealth countries but nearly exclusively a gendered slur in america. there are a bunch of other localized slurs for various groups that are or are not used in places. If an american game used "gypped" it would get quite a reaction in europe.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't have a problem with the swear words, not really a line of argumentation I follow. Also my Geralt was talking in Polish, way different delivery than the English one.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No, if i was i would have typed them both, but both will incite significant reactions when used so they are on a similar spectrum of slurs. oval office is different as its use is widespread in commonwealth countries but nearly exclusively a gendered slur in america. there are a bunch of other localized slurs for various groups that are or are not used in places. If an american game used "gypped" it would get quite a reaction in europe.

Haha you're lovely take on curse word vernacular around the world just stinks. friend of the family is way more loaded than oval office or gypped and is such a disingenuous comparison you faux intellectual

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TheRat posted:

I've lived and worked in some rough neighborhoods throughout most of my adult lifetime, so you don't need to carry on this fantasy of talkin' tough to clueless goons over the internet. I don't like the writing as shown so far because it comes off as what a 15-year old might think real bad hombres sound like, and is pretty much indistinguishable from the cliched and swear-laden companion dialogue I saw in Far Cry 5, a game you might recall being known for its exemplary standards of writing. I just think it's pretty lame! Hopefully not too representative of the next 99 hours of gameplay because that'll get old real fast.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Haha you're lovely take on curse word vernacular around the world just stinks. friend of the family is way more loaded than oval office or gypped and is such a disingenuous comparison you faux intellectual

lmao

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I only have one catergory of Magnitudes for all cuss word, and that is the Bad category. I personally believe giving seperate magnitudes to cuss word will only make you more willing to use more of the lesser cuss.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oval office is a very good swear word imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i hope we can dress up our companions - i wanna put the mexican dude in a cyber luchadore outfit or a day of the dead neon skeleton bodysuit