Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
on the internet, nobody can tell you’re dangerously incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

I was checking out an online portfolio management website the other day since Google Finance mostly sucks now and I came across the site's Reddit account, which was posting on some manner of "side hustle" discussion about how development had been cheap because it was some students' "industry partnership" class project and a couple of the students had stayed on to spend co-op terms on it.

Yes, I'll go right ahead and feed my financial data into this site made by unsupervised developers with no experience at all.

what is PII anyway?

bonus: we built it on mongo db

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://theultralinx.com/2018/08/this-luxury-iphone-x-tesla-is-solar-powered-shockproof-and-even-gold-plated/

:prepop:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Peeny Cheez posted:

I think Beepers was referring to William Edward Hickman, a murderer who Ayn Rand definitely didn't masturbate while thinking of at least three times a day.

you’re a very good communication facilitator. :patriot:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Right that's basically it. This is the third email where the guy basically admitted that the cool work for me was 1. Microservices, 2. Microservices that violate HIPAA, 3. Microservices that violate HIPAA built by graphics programmers. I have been a One Medical subscriber for a bit but I'm now in the process of canceling.

a good response to the recruiter, cc’d to their CEO and a couple board members and Pando, would be “hi, I actually was a satisfied user of your service, but the stuff mentioned in this recruiting mail I was sent made me so concerned that you were planning to violate my privacy (and HIPAA) that I’ve cancelled”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:yeshaha:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Right that's basically it. This is the third email where the guy basically admitted that the cool work for me was 1. Microservices, 2. Microservices that violate HIPAA, 3. Microservices that violate HIPAA built by graphics programmers. I have been a One Medical subscriber for a bit but I'm now in the process of canceling.

microservices are dumb but what are they doing to violate hipaa? also they're not doing machine learning they're just doing analytics for preventative care which is good.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

microservices are dumb but what are they doing to violate hipaa? also they're not doing machine learning they're just doing analytics for preventative care which is good.

i'm not sure if you're just disagreeing with their idea of machine learning or you didn't read the original post, but:

Suspicious Dish posted:

We're doing a bunch of cool stuff with healthcare data such as using machine learning to predict when someone may need to engage with their doctor.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like that word is pretty much meaningless these days so it very well could mean "we put it in a database and run a query on it" for all i know but the fact that they're asking noted GPU programming-knower Suspicious Dish about it seems, well, suspicious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that can be done with "anonymized" data

data that is helpfully provided by many state governments

edit: also the feds: https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Downloadable-Public-Use-Files/SynPUFs/DE_Syn_PUF.html

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 29, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ibm watson means doctors are obsolete!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the ultra linux

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

ibm watson means doctors are obsolete!

and yet watson was a doctor! makes one think.........

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
machine learning fetishists, diagnose this!

*shits on a rack of GPUs*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol bright bart

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1034737296019345409

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how do you seo your Twitter acct

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my bitter bi rival posted:

how do you seo your Twitter acct

very carefully

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

conservatives voices are being SHUNNED! this is an outrage, it shoud be first place for every search! anything less is CENSORSHIP BOYCOOT GOOGLE

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

something about some of those query terms is triggering some crazy twittery related bug in google, see this slightly different permutation:

https://twitter.com/slurdge/status/1034739972153245697

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Xaris posted:

conservatives voices are being SHUNNED! this is an outrage, it shoud be first place for every search! anything less is CENSORSHIP BOYCOOT GOOGLE

muh first amendment rights!!! :qq:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

glad I'm not the only one who saw that

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

who's ready for DaMore 2 Facebook Boogaloo?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/conservative-facebook-employees-organizing-attack-004428106.html

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://brianamerige.com/

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Amerige, who started working at Facebook in 2012, said on his personal website that he followed philosophical principles laid out by the philosopher and writer Ayn Rand. He posted the 527-word memo about political diversity at Facebook on Aug. 20.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm not sure if you're just disagreeing with their idea of machine learning or you didn't read the original post, but:

yea machine learning is code for analytics

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
who the hell called it "machine learning" instead of "bias automation" anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if they're doing real machine "learning" healthcare is a relatively good place to do it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

send that guy to a fruit farm in wasco for a few years. computers have ruined his fragile mind. sad really

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

who the hell called it "machine learning" instead of "bias automation" anyway

its easier for people to understand even if its not actual learning

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

even if they're doing real machine "learning" healthcare is a relatively good place to do it.

lol @ the concept of preexisting conditions + machine learning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its hilarious that you might be able to proactively detect people with chronic conditions who aren't managing them well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"lol this dumb gently caress hasn't taken their blood sugar in years even though their diabetic! hilarious!"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shaggar posted:

"lol this dumb gently caress hasn't taken their blood sugar in years even though their diabetic! hilarious!"

you don't need machine learning for that though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

where does the machine come in here

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Shaggar posted:

Please don't doxx me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hifi posted:

you don't need machine learning for that though

no and they probably aren't actually using machine learning, but there are probably ways to use machine learning to detect certain lifestyle problems (ex: poor diet + exercise) for which you don't have measures.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the doctor sure as poo poo isn't going to do anything, so you have analytics that chew through the data in the EMR and tell the idiot doc what to do.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

code:
if(last_update > 1 year):
      poke_fatty("Check ya bloodsuger")
else:
      print("Shaggar was right")

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
some other legit uses of machine learning would be examining data to find common causes of both negative and positive outcomes and then using that as a basis for process changes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

refleks posted:

code:
if(last_update > 1 year):
      poke_fatty("Check ya bloodsuger")
else:
      print("Shaggar was right")

yeah its unironically this and you don't need machine "learning" for it but most providers are not doing it. adding magic marketing terms help sell the product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1034816174184226817