Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Evil Eagle posted:

My family had a tradition of opening one present on Christmas Eve... One year I opened up my Christmas Eve gift and it was a copy of Link's Awakening and I didn't even have a Gameboy yet. That was the longest night ever but the next morning I had a teal Gameboy pocket, Wario Land, Kirby's Dream Land and Pokemon Red.

My family had the same tradition. One year, the present I opened was the Nintendo DS Red Hot Bundle with Mario Kart DS and I spent all night racing in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I always opened the least interesting presents on Christmas Eve, picking the one gift to open was a gamble. My parents didn’t put out the good stuff until we were in bed. my dad would pick up those gifts from my Nana’s place so we wouldn’t be able to figure out what they were before the big day.

The year I got an n64 for my birthday was huge. I rented aerofighters assault and was amazed at how good the explosions looked

envelopode
Aug 23, 2018

The year the Wii came out, it was sold out everywhere, so my sister and I opened up a card with a picture of a Wii. Which was probably for the better, since Zelda and Wii Sports were the only games on that stupid console for the first year.

envelopode
Aug 23, 2018

Oh and Red Steel lol.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I asked for two games one year for Christmas, and at first I was disappointed that I got my second choice Flying Dragon instead of The Ocarina of Time. I wasn't under the impression I needed both games, I just should have been more clear which I'd have preferred.

I must have seen it in a magazine or an advertisement, because I don't remember playing it beforehand, but I'm glad that I ended up getting Flying Dragon for the N64. It was one of the only times my dad got really into Videogames, the other being Burnout. I even brought it and my N64 over to my grandparents house that year and we had an impromptu tournament, followed by a second tournament to see who was the best Robot Yokozuna (Robo no Hana) in the SD mode. No one really cared for the more realistic "Virtual Version" also included on the cart.

I ended up borrowing Ocarina from a friend a few months later, but Flying Dragon was a good Christmas memory.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i got an NES when i was like 4, i guess 1990? maybe even 89? it took my whole family 4 hours to figure out how to hook it up and then i stayed up all night with my uncle trying to get as far as we could in little nemo and monster party.

the christmas my wisdom teeth came in my brother got some Bleach fighting game for DS. i started playing it right after my mom gave me what i had assumed was a big ibuprofen or something and after about 30 minutes i'm thinking "this game is surprisingly good. this is like, the best game ever." that's when i realized my teeth didn't hurt at all anymore and i was very high.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Paper Triangle posted:

the christmas my wisdom teeth came in my brother got some Bleach fighting game for DS. i started playing it right after my mom gave me what i had assumed was a big ibuprofen or something and after about 30 minutes i'm thinking "this game is surprisingly good. this is like, the best game ever." that's when i realized my teeth didn't hurt at all anymore and i was very high.
thanks mom

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I also got Civ 3 and all expansions from my mom one Easter, which was really cool, especially since our family never did Easter presents before or since so it was completely unexpected

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
The christmas of 2002 my parents got me a PS2 with GTA Vice City and Metal Gear Solid 2. I knew that I wanted to save GTA for later and I had heard really good things about MGS despite having only seen my cousin play the original on his PS1 a few years ago. I was like 14 at the time. My older brother had his own apartment so I asked if I could take it to his place to stay up all night and play it. Smash cut to 4 A.M. and the colonel is yelling at me to turn my game off because I've been playing it too long, also I drank a lot of mountain dew that night so semper games fellas

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Paper Triangle posted:

Lol

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My oldest brother and I didn't get along as kids. Or at least that's what I remember from my earliest years. Anyways one Christmas I went downstairs and saw him playing Crash Bandicoot on a PS1, both of which were presents to us that day. I was stoked. Santa got a memory card for each kid and my brother helped me write my name and "Don't touch!" on my card's label. It was the first time I remember him being nice to me :unsmith:
We get along great now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Triangle posted:

i got an NES when i was like 4, i guess 1990? maybe even 89? it took my whole family 4 hours to figure out how to hook it up and then i stayed up all night with my uncle trying to get as far as we could in little nemo and monster party.

Lol

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
when the n64 came out, of course I wanted one for my birthday (in November), but when it came time for the party, my parents told me they couldn't find one, so instead we rented one (probably from Encore Video, where you could rent whole consoles) with Mario 64. It was still pretty awesome getitng to play it for a whole day at our apartment complex's rec center with all my friends.

Now that I think about it, we were pretty poor at the time so they probably just couldn't afford it.

That Christmas, however, I got the 64, along with... Mortal Kombat Trilogy. For a long time, that was my only game, but I still played the poo poo out of it with the other poor apartment complex kid I was friends with lol

Being poor and having only 1 or 2 games to play ftw

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
asked for a n64 for my birthday and got a virtual boy. win? i guess

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My mom only let me have one of Mario kart 64 or Diddy Kong racing because she thought they were too similar

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

the drifting is totally different and the stacking items in dkr completely change the metagame you bitch

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nostradingus posted:

My mom only let me have one of Mario kart 64 or Diddy Kong racing because she thought they were too similar

which did you pick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

which did you pick

*Prepares chris_hansen.jpg in anticipation*

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

elf help book posted:

which did you pick

Mario kart. But I made friends with a kid at school specifically because he had dkr

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Nostradingus posted:

this reminds me of the time my grandpa was buying me a game as a birthday present. He always let me pick one out at the store, and I was choosing between FFIX and Silent Scope for dreamcast. I picked Silent Scope, probably because he was an NRA nut and I wanted to look cool

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

I also tried playing my ds after wisdom teeth surgery but I discovered opiates make me very nauseous and I eventually needed IV gravol to stop that.

I get some cool game related gifts from my wife. She bought me the vinyl soundtracks for persona and perfect dark. She also made really awesome cross stitch growlithe and arcanine patterns that look exactly like the GBA sprites.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe not the most impactful but certainly the first one that comes to mind for me is Gameboy Color + Wario Land II for my 13th birthday. The Gameboy was my console of choice growing up and the Color took the experience to a whole other level.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

American McGay posted:

Maybe not the most impactful but certainly the first one that comes to mind for me is Gameboy Color + Wario Land II for my 13th birthday. The Gameboy was my console of choice growing up and the Color took the experience to a whole other level.

I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your new Gameboy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Holy gently caress.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Excuse me, could you please try being less of a loving savage in my thread? Thanks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i woke up on christmas in 88 or 89 and received a copy of mega man 2. it was one of the only games i had (other was rampage (lol)) for awhile. when i got the NES it was just the system and a copy of rampage.

i played the gently caress out of mega man 2. beat it so many times it's not even funny.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Neither of my parents know anything about games, yet somehow, in retrospect, they ended up getting me the best games. Maybe advertising was better back then?

A fond memory I have is being probably 6 or 7 years old having Christmas at my grandma's, and one of my aunt's gifted me a copy of a game I had never heard of called "Warcraft 2". I booted that bad boy up, clicked on an orc peon after watching that sick cinematic, noticed a large "axe" icon on the menu to the right, and then proceeded to use my peon to murder each of my other units and buildings, one by one, until I lost the game. I decided right then and there that Warcraft 2 was the best game I'd ever played. Thanks Aunt Donna!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Neither of my parents know anything about games, yet somehow, in retrospect, they ended up getting me the best games. Maybe advertising was better back then?

My parents were the same way and I have no idea how they did it. No clue why my mom bought me Civ 3 that Easter since I’d never played it, never asked for it, never even played any other strategy games or even PC games generally, but she still somehow picked a winner and I’ve been hooked on strategy/4X stuff ever since.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I got a lot of BS like the Wallace and Gromit game and the 3d playforner Pac-Man.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got a PS2 when I was 8 but my parents didn't realise you needed a memory card. So I left it on for like 3 days to try and beat Champions of Norrath but I died to the final boss.

envelopode
Aug 23, 2018

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My parents were the same way and I have no idea how they did it. No clue why my mom bought me Civ 3 that Easter since I’d never played it, never asked for it, never even played any other strategy games or even PC games generally, but she still somehow picked a winner and I’ve been hooked on strategy/4X stuff ever since.

I think I got Civ 3 and SimCity 3000 because T.J. Maxx had a bargain bin of PC games somewhere in the back, and I could sometimes pick one out. I also got a Star Wars RTS, which I now realize was running on the Starcraft engine, but which I have a really hazy memory of. I never really got hooked, though. RollerCoaster Tycoon 1&2 will always fill the isometric PC portion of my heart.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

my grandparents got me Mario Party 2 and I was so excited that I forgot to thank them and I got in a lot of trouble

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

net cafe scandal posted:

I got a lot of BS like the Wallace and Gromit game and the 3d playforner Pac-Man.

My aunt gave me Attack of the Killer Tomatoes for Gameboy

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

net cafe scandal posted:

the 3d playforner Pac-Man.

*punches wall*

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I was adopted at birth and my adoptive parents sort of had a relationship with my birth mother and her parents (my biological grandparents) but i didn't know who they were, saw them rarely, and thought they were just like some loose "family friends" who sent me $100 every birthday. Anyway when I was probably like 5 or 6 i ended up going to Walmart with my birth mother when we were visiting them and she really really wanted to buy me a video game so I picked Godzilla for the original gameboy (which was a weird puzzle platformer with a wold map and a ton of branching paths). Had no idea why this young woman in her 20s wants to buy me a video game but I happily took it and I enjoyed Godzilla. Anyway it was only like 4 or 5 years ago that I met her for real and really hit it off with her and figured out what was up so basically the original gameboy version of Godzilla has extreme emotional significance to me and was maybe my most impactful Gift of Game

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

goferchan posted:

I was adopted at birth and my adoptive parents sort of had a relationship with my birth mother and her parents (my biological grandparents) but i didn't know who they were, saw them rarely, and thought they were just like some loose "family friends" who sent me $100 every birthday. Anyway when I was probably like 5 or 6 i ended up going to Walmart with my birth mother when we were visiting them and she really really wanted to buy me a video game so I picked Godzilla for the original gameboy (which was a weird puzzle platformer with a wold map and a ton of branching paths). Had no idea why this young woman in her 20s wants to buy me a video game but I happily took it and I enjoyed Godzilla. Anyway it was only like 4 or 5 years ago that I met her for real and really hit it off with her and figured out what was up so basically the original gameboy version of Godzilla has extreme emotional significance to me and was maybe my most impactful Gift of Game

this is going to be the plot of ready player two

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol. This was it

I need to play it again.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

goferchan posted:

drat that is bittersweet as hell.

i thought of another one.

when i was like 15 my aunt married some really rich dude in new jersey and my family went up for the wedding and to stay in their bigass house for a week. while i was there my aunt's fiance asked me if i knew how to use a computer. when i said yes, he took me to best buy, we picked out a PC, and then he told me to just throw whatever else i wanted in the cart. i was insanely nervous about it but if i stopped and looked at anything for more than like 10 seconds he'd just grab it and throw it in. the main thing i remember getting was legacy of kain: soul reaver and sim theme park. i remember sim theme park because the PC he bought he wasn't even good enough to play it. i have no idea why i remember soul reaver other then i had a really cool joe mad poster of azrael from some gaming magazine and i'd wanted the game forever.

anyway a bunch of years later it turned out he had all that money from embezzling it from his company and he was secretly doing a bunch of heroin between his toes so he wouldn't have track marks.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Paper Triangle posted:

my aunt's fiance asked me if i knew how to use a computer. when i said yes, he took me to best buy, we picked out a PC, and then he told me to just throw whatever else i wanted in the cart.

i remember sim theme park because the PC he bought he wasn't even good enough to play it.

youre loving trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Way to let down the chill heroin gamer with the most ultimate fail ive ever read on this subforum

• Locked thread