Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Also has anyone seen that Mizoguchi? I'm tempted to blind buy it when it comes out.

Yes, it's his best movie.

Although I wish they went with calling it The Crucified Lovers like it normally is in the west. The Criterion title is a transliteration but it's like calling Chimes At Midnight "A Story From Shakespeare"

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Wow!

The Magnificent Ambersons and Some Like It Hot are must-haves for me, but I'll likely pick up True Stories as a blind-buy, too. And the Bergman set on top of all that!

Also, picking November for Ambersons is smart on their part. Not just for the B&N sale, but The Other Side of the Wind is premiering on Nov. 2 on Netflix. Now we just need an upgrade of Mr. Arkadin and all of Welles' completed films will be on Blu-ray.

"The Trial" hasn't been released in Region A, has it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zandert33 posted:

"The Trial" hasn't been released in Region A, has it?

Nope and won't until Lionsgate gives up exclusive Region A rights to the StudioCanal library. The UK disc is very good, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes we’re getting Tree of Life in the UK

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yes we’re getting Tree of Life in the UK

:krad:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

They changed the Some Like it Hot cover. Good.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I usually like the new covers that Criterion makes but I wish they had reversible covers with the original poster, like Shout Factory does.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

I usually like the new covers that Criterion makes but I wish they had reversible covers with the original poster, like Shout Factory does.

This.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They use poster art or variations of it more than you think.

Also, Amazon has the Bergman set down to $195 right now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Amazon has the Bergman set down to $195 right now

No different than the 240$ set on criterions site?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just rewatched Magnolia last night and goddamn, we need some more PTA in the Criterion collection. I think Magnolia has been forgotten by enough people and overshadowed within PTA's filmography to the point that it would fit very well in the collection. Of course Inherent Vice and The Master also would be perfect selections. Hard Eight as well.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Magnolia is really high on my list of movies I want to rewatch, it's just hard to find that much time. Not sure it needs a Criterion release though, since it's readily available on a good quality blu-ray already.

Basebf555 posted:

Hard Eight as well.

I rewatched this one not too long ago and don't love it, but it's still pretty good and I think would be a good fit for Criterion. According to a reddit ama he's working on a blu-ray which would be great, as the dvd I think is oop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7quthe/im_paul_thomas_anderson_writer_and_director_of/dss4ath/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

Magnolia is really high on my list of movies I want to rewatch, it's just hard to find that much time. Not sure it needs a Criterion release though, since it's readily available on a good quality blu-ray already.

I put it on without remembering that it's close to 3 hours, and I got to around the 2hr 30 minute mark and I couldn't believe that much time had gone by. Every single scene draws you in, and in different ways so there's never a lull. Like, sometimes you have a scene that's eye-popping visually and that's great, then it transitions to a scene of Seymour-Hoffman or Baker-Hall being powerhouse actors, then to Cruise and the most unique performance of his career, then John C. Reilly being his usual underrated self, and it's all so compelling that 3 hours really does not feel at all like 3 hours.

FancyMike posted:

I rewatched this one not too long ago and don't love it, but it's still pretty good and I think would be a good fit for Criterion. According to a reddit ama he's working on a blu-ray which would be great, as the dvd I think is oop.

I feel the same way but overall it's still a very solid movie and I think it's so underseen that it does seem perfect for Criterion.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hard Eight is the first film from an acclaimed director. Based solely on that fact, it's the perfect candidate for a Criterion release.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I put it on without remembering that it's close to 3 hours, and I got to around the 2hr 30 minute mark and I couldn't believe that much time had gone by. Every single scene draws you in, and in different ways so there's never a lull. Like, sometimes you have a scene that's eye-popping visually and that's great, then it transitions to a scene of Seymour-Hoffman or Baker-Hall being powerhouse actors, then to Cruise and the most unique performance of his career, then John C. Reilly being his usual underrated self, and it's all so compelling that 3 hours really does not feel at all like 3 hours.

It's not about how long it feels so much as it being one I'd really rather not split up when watching. Five month old child at home means I can't remember the last time I had an uninterrupted 3 hours to do anything. Same reason I haven't watched that Barry Lyndon blu I bought like six months ago yet.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I have plenty of time but dedicating 2.5-3 hrs is always tough. It’s why Stalker has sat so long. drat chores.

But first time I saw Magnolia I was on mushrooms. It was awesome. Around the 2.5 hr mark where everything starts colliding and this and that, I was like “holy poo poo this movie will never end. “ and then it kept going.

I’d love a Criterion for There Will Be Blood. The current disc is pretty barebones, even if it looks and sounds great. I wanna know more about the production, etc. The 08 Oscars are when I gave up, PTA was robbed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Master needs a criterion blu

lock thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I rewatched Inherent Vice earlier this month too and it gets better and better every time. Basically, PTA really needs a full Criterion box-set, now that would be my dream Criterion announcement.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I would kill someone for commentary tracks. Anyone. Even... you.

I need to rewatch IV. Each time, I was falling asleep and I didn’t really take it in. Still need to see Phantom Thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I rewatched Inherent Vice earlier this month too and it gets better and better every time. Basically, PTA really needs a full Criterion box-set, now that would be my dream Criterion announcement.

Inherent Vice is so goddamn good, though it has an excellent blu. When I first saw it I was in a full 500 seat theater, high out of my mind on edible pot cookie, and the whole room was muggy with potsmoke.

When the Shasta Fay seduction scene was playing it was so tense in there that you could hear a pin drop. It was legendary.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Boywhiz88 posted:

I would kill someone for commentary tracks. Anyone. Even... you.

I need to rewatch IV. Each time, I was falling asleep and I didn’t really take it in. Still need to see Phantom Thread.

Forget that first one, and move on to that second one.

I might be completely in the minority on this, but I think PTA’s collaborations with Daniel Day-Lewis are far superior to this collaborations with Joaquin Phoenix. Not that they’re bad of course, but I’d take There Will Be Blood over The Master any day of the week.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

I might be completely in the minority on this, but I think PTA’s collaborations with Daniel Day-Lewis are far superior to this collaborations with Joaquin Phoenix. Not that they’re bad of course, but I’d take There Will Be Blood over The Master any day of the week.

TWBB was a revelation (heh) to me in 07, but The Master is PTA's best film and everyone involved in making it knows that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

InterrupterJones posted:

There Will Be Blood and The Master are literally perfect, there's not a thing I'd change about them. It comes down to personal preference I think.

Inherent Vice may be an acquired taste though, it rambles but obviously the rambling is a conscious decision and if you allow yourself to go with it you have a better time with the film. I do think that Phoenix's performances in his PTA collaborations are just as perfect as DDLs though. Especially The Master.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Punch-Drunk Love and Phantom Thread stomp all over everything else he's made since Magnolia.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

criterion selection standards are fake and any movie can be a criterion

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looking forward to the Criterion Match Game '77-'79 box set.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Looking forward to the Criterion Match Game '77-'79 box set.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wonder how Criterion sales figures are looking outside of July and November, since pretty much everyone who buys them knows about the BN sales at this point. It's gotta be low, right?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Origami Dali posted:

I wonder how Criterion sales figures are looking outside of July and November, since pretty much everyone who buys them knows about the BN sales at this point. It's gotta be low, right?

I'd wager that academic institutions and libraries consistently purchase them throughout the year but I doubt those sale numbers are significant.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Parallax posted:

Case in point: Chasing Amy

Oh and Punch-Drunk Love is so underrated and I lost my poo poo when it was finally announced on Blu, let alone Criterion. It saddens me that Sandler recoiled away from that. I mean, he has some real dramatic stinkers but PDL and parts of Click and The Wedding Singer shows he’s got chops.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Parallax posted:

I do find the discussion interesting, because it highlights how well Criterion has managed to establish itself as one of the kingmakers of film, at least in the Western world. Regardless of the collection's actual quality, there is a strong belief that its purpose isn't just providing access to obscure films, but offering the definitive selection of world cinema. So PTA should be included not because his films lack high-quality releases, but because he "deserves" it.

I don't know if I have much of a point here, other than wishing that the creation of the film canon was a bit more democratised and that Criterion would focus more on releasing stuff that's otherwise nearly impossible to see.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Parallax posted:

Pretty much. CC enthusiasts act like the mediocre mainstream titles are anomalies, but there are simply too many of them for that to be the case. They whined about The Breakfast Club, as a recent example, as if it was something totally uncharacteristic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Parallax posted:

Criterion selection standards are real. If you don't understand why Armageddon, Robocop, Tootsie and The Breakfast Club are Criterions, then you just don't get the Criterion Collection.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Pretty much. CC enthusiasts act like the mediocre mainstream titles are anomalies, but there are simply too many of them for that to be the case. They whined about The Breakfast Club, as a recent example, as if it was something totally uncharacteristic.

Their last laserdisc release was Armageddon! That's why I get annoyed when people get upset that some mainstream film is getting a criterion release. The amount of foreign and art films only grew proportionally because with DVD, they couldn't get the rights to stuff like The Princess Bride. But now that home video is becoming something for hardcore movie buffs, they can get more of the rights.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I do find the discussion interesting, because it highlights how well Criterion has managed to establish itself as one of the kingmakers of film, at least in the Western world. Regardless of the collection's actual quality, there is a strong belief that its purpose isn't just providing access to obscure films, but offering the definitive selection of world cinema. So PTA should be included not because his films lack high-quality releases, but because he "deserves" it.

I don't know if I have much of a point here, other than wishing that the creation of the film canon was a bit more democratised and that Criterion would focus more on releasing stuff that's otherwise nearly impossible to see.

Depends on what you value in a release though. Because even if there isn't a new transfer available, a Criterion release is typically superior to any other previous release of the film just based on extras and in many cases packaging. Their digibooks are really nice and that's something I'm willing to pay for.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of what Criterion releases also depends on studio trends and ownership.

When they did films like Citizen Kane and King Kong for laserdisc, the RKO library was still owned independently. Later, they had frequent licenses from MGM/UA Home Video. Once the Turner library moved to WB, they were cut off because WB didn't license out. That changed when Terrence Malick personally asked for them to license Badlands and then they later made a deal with Criterion around when they started their own Warner Archive Blu label.

Armageddon was released when Disney simply didn't do special editions of anything except for their animation. Also for perspective, studios like WB and Paramount released virtually no special editions on laserdisc. Paramount didn't even do a special edition DVD until Forrest Gump.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did "Special Edition" ever actually mean anything for DVDs?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did "Special Edition" ever actually mean anything for DVDs?

WB was one that really amped up the DVD game. Pretty much any of their 2-disc (and some 3-disc and 4-disc) special editions from 2001-2006 were legendary.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Most of the time it just seemed like a marketing gimmick. I feel like I saw hundreds of special edition DVDs that didn't have a regular edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

criterions have thoughtfully designed menus which I look forward to seeing