Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Good for him, and I understand why he wouldn't want to say something specifically about Trump but come on, it has EVERYTHING to do with politics, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
With Zetterberg gone the Wings don't have a single player on their roster who won more than 49% of their faceoffs last year. Larkin-Nielsen-Athanasiou-Glendening might be the worst center depth in the league. Combine that with probably a bottom 5 defense corps and an improved Atlantic division (mostly) and I think they'll be a legit contender for worse team in the league this year. Unless Zadina is the second coming of Selanne or something.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I think he’s using ‘politics’ to mean ‘partisanship.’ I mean, we could probably pick that apart for also being too simple, but I’m willing to take a “this guy is bad and I won’t give him a platform” message in almost any form.

clean ayers act posted:

With Zetterberg gone the Wings don't have a single player on their roster who won more than 49% of their faceoffs last year. Larkin-Nielsen-Athanasiou-Glendening might be the worst center depth in the league. Combine that with probably a bottom 5 defense corps and an improved Atlantic division (mostly) and I think they'll be a legit contender for worse team in the league this year. Unless Zadina is the second coming of Selanne or something.

I was trying to put together Detroit’s lineup without Hank after reading rlam’s article and it’s a real yikes from top to bottom.

AA - Larkin - Mantha
Vanek - Helm - Nyquist
Zadina - Nielsen - Rasmussen
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Abdelkader

?????

Woof. That’s not even looking at their atrocious defense.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 29, 2018

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

"Let me be clear that this purely political gesture is NOT about politics."

The off-season is breaking everyone's brains.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think it is a tactically good move given the usual level of intellectual sophistication behind "don't bring politics into it."

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

i am the bird posted:

I think he’s using ‘politics’ to mean ‘partisanship.’ I mean, we could probably pick that apart for also being too simple, but I’m willing to take a “this guy is bad and I won’t give him a platform” message in almost any form.

I was trying to put together Detroit’s lineup without Hank after reading rlam’s article and it’s a real yikes from top to bottom.

AA - Larkin - Mantha
Vanek - Helm - Nyquist
Zadina - Nielsen - Rasmussen
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Abdelkader

?????

Woof. That’s not even looking at their atrocious defense.

Blashill has said that Helm will play Wing and AA will slot into the 3C spot

So maybe...
Berttuzzi'-Larkin-Mantha
Rasmussen- Nielsen-Nyquist
Zadina-AA-Vanek
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm

So yeah, pretty bad regardless

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

honestly i thought the caps WH visit already happened a while back and i'd just forgotten about it. huh...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

Blashill has said that Helm will play Wing and AA will slot into the 3C spot

So maybe...
Berttuzzi'-Larkin-Mantha
Rasmussen- Nielsen-Nyquist
Zadina-AA-Vanek
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm

So yeah, pretty bad regardless

I mean, at least it's a relatively entertaining group outside of that fourth line.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm torn between thinking these guys should be honored to visit the White House but honestly only the Americans. Most of these guys are Canadiens or Europeans - I don't know why I'd care whether they want to visit the White House or not.

If it were me, I'd visit no matter who was the president. It's a silly job anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i don't blame anyone for not wanting to go but all this is is a quick tour and a photo op.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Brett Connolly was easily one of the dumbest teenagers I ever had the privilege of trying to teach, and I taught a Grade 12 English class in Prince George that was 100% full of kids from the welding program at the community college. Good for him though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

mennoknight posted:

Brett Connolly was easily one of the dumbest teenagers I ever had the privilege of trying to teach, and I taught a Grade 12 English class in Prince George that was 100% full of kids from the welding program at the community college. Good for him though.

Maybe he was just rebelling because you made your students put their hands up when doing attendance.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
If I were a good enough hockey player I would never bother learning how to read or write.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slappy Pappy posted:

I'm torn between thinking these guys should be honored to visit the White House but honestly only the Americans. Most of these guys are Canadiens or Europeans - I don't know why I'd care whether they want to visit the White House or not.

If it were me, I'd visit no matter who was the president. It's a silly job anyway.

The White House is open for tours. You can just go.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jehde posted:

He could be implying it's personal, e.g. I think this guy is a sack of poo poo instead of I'm a Democrat and don't agree with his policies

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If I were a good enough hockey player I would never bother learning how to read or write.

It works for coaches, too!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

do you need to read in order to play fortnight?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jehde posted:

He's covering his rear end because he doesn't want a bunch of chuds harassing him constantly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The only person who made not going to the White House non-political was deep thinker James Harrison, who had this to say:

"If you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. So as far as I'm concerned he would have invited Arizona if they had won."

wut

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

James Harrison is my fat bitchy cousin on Facebook?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am the bird posted:

It works for coaches, too!

And yeah I or someone else without a life will probably put up the Fantasy Thread in a few weeks. There will be at least three active leagues.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2018

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I had this horrible recurring thought during those "spell your last name for the Cup" commercials that we'd just see him on screen saying "X"

anyway, enjoy this edgelord stream of consciousness

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
these mount rushmore things are always stupid but the bruins and canucks ones are goddamn stupid rear end but

i suppose i'm the guilty party for reading the thing in the first place

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FAS, local broadcast schedule is up

NHL posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers, in conjunction with broadcast partner NBC Sports Philadelphia, today announced their local television broadcast schedule for the 2018-19 season.

The regular season will get underway on NBC Sports Philadelphia on Thursday, October 4 when the Flyers visit the Vegas Golden Knights at 10 PM. It's the first of 62 games to appear on NBCSP over the course of the year. Another eight games will appear on NBC Sports Philadelphia +, beginning with the middle two games of the Flyers' second West Coast trip on Nov. 1 at Los Angeles and Nov. 3 at San Jose.

The Flyers will be featured nationally on the NBC Sports Network a total of 13 times this season. Eight of those games will be available in the Philadelphia market, while the other five will be part of the NBCSP local schedule. The first NBCSN game of the year in the Philadelphia market is the home opener on Tuesday, October 9 vs. San Jose at 7 PM.

The Flyers have four games that will be televised nationally, including in the Philadelphia market, on NBC. They include the 2018 Discover Thanksgiving Showdown vs. the New York Rangers on Friday, November 23 at 1 PM and the 2019 Coors Light Stadium Series game against Pittsburgh at Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday, February 23 at 8 PM.

The local TV schedule also includes three preseason telecasts - Sept. 17 vs. the New York Islanders, Sept. 24 vs. Boston and Sept. 27 vs. the New York Rangers. All three games will be on NBCSP+.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

why are they stupid?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
ah yes, when the Flames won their only cup, everyone remembers that moment when Mike Vernon was handed the prize.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Just remember that there’s a good chance that some time down the line someone is going to think that Brett, or someone just like him is some how qualified to run the operations of a company worth more than half a billion dollars because he could skate real good when he was 20.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

pseudodragon posted:

Just remember that there’s a good chance that some time down the line someone is going to think that Brett, or someone just like him is some how qualified to run the operations of a company worth more than half a billion dollars because he could skate backwards real good when he was 20.

There we go.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Oilers signed the corpse of Jason Garrison to a PTO. Feel free to insert your own joke.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

romanowski posted:

why are they stupid?

Because they are clichéd and played out and there are maybe a handful of teams tops where you can have an interesting debate about it instead of 2 or 3 mandatory choices and nitpicking over the last guy. Or there are teams who quite frankly don't even HAVE four supremely notable players ever.

Also very little has changed for any team in the couple of years this has become a topic. The Penguins, just to name one, will be 66 68 87 71 for decades.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Looks like this is it for Joel Ward, Father Time seems to have caught up.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.c...for-a-contract/

Always a class act, hope he gets a contract.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Someone sign that man.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

clean ayers act posted:

With Zetterberg gone the Wings don't have a single player on their roster who won more than 49% of their faceoffs last year. Larkin-Nielsen-Athanasiou-Glendening might be the worst center depth in the league.

Horvat-Sutter-Gagner-Beagle
Hischier-Zajac-Zacha-Boyle
Staal-Rask-?-?

The Hurricanes literally have two centers. Are they planning on throwing Necas on the third line at age 20 with one NHL game, or maybe depth plug Greg McKegg? This looks to be even worse than the time AV decided that his healthy roster should have three centers and seven defensemen.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CAR/2019.html
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Probably gonna trade Faulk for a depth centre.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Staal-Rask-?-?

The Hurricanes literally have two centers. Are they planning on throwing Necas on the third line at age 20 with one NHL game, or maybe depth plug Greg McKegg? This looks to be even worse than the time AV decided that his healthy roster should have three centers and seven defensemen.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CAR/2019.html
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

Martinook i guess but the kruger trade looks stupid then. The canes hfboards seems to think aho is their next franchise center so Ok

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Zodijackylite posted:

Staal-Rask-?-?

Did you make sideways lines what the hell is going on

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I like the press around this Shane Doan thing:

"An actual hockey player is going to lug around a dead Senator!"

"A Canadian is gonna dump a dead Senator in the ground!"

Hey! I'm a Canadian who likes hockey, maybe that makes me special too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

You can practically taste the bile when they get to the Leafs. Such a wonderful time to be alive.

• Locked thread