Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We have the most boring server names. They're just SV0123 i.e. a serial number, nothing else. Older ones running straight on the metal are more often named with a location too, and extremely old ones have weird conventions I can't decode. Luckily the extremely old ones are nearly gone now.
Anything you want to know about them is stored in the installed systems database and can be looked up. There's also reverse mapping from system to involved servers. (Except when nobody knows or have bothered to document it, of course. Can't have an org where everything is known that'd be like cheating.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I once worked for a guy who was obsessed with fish, so all the servers and their RDP/VNC passwords were fish names I've never even heard of.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I spent about 2 months putting together a server naming convention and getting management buy-in, only to result in my own manager not using it and everyone continuing to use hard-coded IPs anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weaponized Autism posted:

I spent about 2 months putting together a server naming convention and getting management buy-in, only to result in my own manager not using it

Oh well, that's annoying but not really a hill worth dyi...

Weaponized Autism posted:

and everyone continuing to use hard-coded IPs anyway.

:wtc:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kurieg posted:

Some of our remote users use their personal machines with a VPN to access company resources. And one employee had their VPN misconfigured so their Google Drive was attempting to back up his entire storage through the company connection.

Thus was the infamous "What the hell is GOATLORD and why is it using up all our bandwidth?" email born.

Ugh. What? Why? Gross. Make it stop.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ugh. What? Why? Gross. Make it stop.

We can't give laptops out to everyone that costs money!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dravs posted:

I was once asked to name a bunch of meeting room calendars in one of our sites after various Leicester City football players.
My office recently renamed meeting rooms after famous rock bands. Except for one, which was named after a famous female singer. Now we get to crack jokes about having a meeting "in Beyonce".

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Good news everybody. We’re probably signing a deal with a customer where “essential Infrastructure” staff will need a non-Prod AND Prod only Laptop for accessing our AWS and Application. Uh ok I’ll take two MacBooks my dudes but wtf that seems silly. Al the other teams are getting a “community MacBook”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Our wireless networks are named after mathematicians. Riemann for student-owned BYOD, Euler for school- or teacher-owned devices, and Archimedes for testing/non-user-facing stuff. I like it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My office recently renamed meeting rooms after famous rock bands. Except for one, which was named after a famous female singer. Now we get to crack jokes about having a meeting "in Beyonce".

Our meeting rooms all have Star Wars names.

I usually just book whatever room is the appropriate size, but there's one exception. I always book Alderaan when I have to deliver bad news to a group.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ConfusedUs posted:

I usually just book whatever room is the appropriate size, but there's one exception. I always book Alderaan when I have to deliver bad news to a group.
This is fantastic.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My new job seems to be less Telco than my last one, more avaya infrastructure, acr, and other things (bunch of wfm and custom applications but I'll get to them when I get to them)

Any good tips/resources for an avaya newbie?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ConfusedUs posted:

Have they picked up on the pattern yet?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Data Graham posted:

Have they picked up on the pattern yet?

I don't deliver bad news that often, so no one's picked up the pattern. But someone did catch the one-time correlation once. "You picked an...appropriate...room didn't you?"

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I'm a small shop still (1 man) so I go for fun names. Currently my ESXi server is Asgard and it hosts Windows servers Odin (Accounting and Files) and Loki (Exchange)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm a small shop still (1 man) so I go for fun names. Currently my ESXi server is Asgard and it hosts Windows servers Odin (Accounting and Files) and Loki (Exchange)

gonna be real awkward when the hulk virus fucks all your poo poo up

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
"Hi, I need to set up %companyname% email on my phone"
"Okay, we have a document for that. Do you have an Apple phone or an Android phone?"
"No, I have an iPhone"

How hard is it to :yotj: if you quit your current job? I've been helpdesking too much as a senior sysadmin... as in 100% of the time, basically, and I'm ready to take a header off the GWB than come into work tomorrow for another day like this.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

gonna be real awkward when the thanos virus fucks half your poo poo up

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Thanos is the name of the load balancer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Marvelous

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Goddammit, well played.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

mehall posted:

My new job seems to be less Telco than my last one, more avaya infrastructure, acr, and other things (bunch of wfm and custom applications but I'll get to them when I get to them)

For their phones the Sundance communications forum maybe, otherwise sorry I’m not sure any more. I used to work on ERS450/470/5500 all the time , but only still use 5500s in a personal capacity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run far away from Avaya unless you actively want to be the greybeard phone guy

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ConfusedUs posted:

sorry i'm late to the meeting, i got lost and was looking in alderaan places

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

When I started here all servers had individual names. Most based on Fallout universe. New Vegas in particular. Now new servers are getting role based names e.g Company-DVC01 etc. I think it was me having this discussion with a coworker when I started which triggered the shift.
When I was studying at university the physics department named servers after famous physicists. So we had Newton, Fermi, Kelvin etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

sorry i'm late to the meeting, i got lost and was looking in alderaan places

I was looking for Alderaan and couldn't find it. I'd swear it was right here yesterday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Proteus Jones posted:

I was looking for Alderaan and couldn't find it. I'd swear it was right here yesterday.

Try that new satellite office....

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

Oh, Avaya. Everything needs a license. And the licenses are all keyed to specific hardware IDs so are non-transferable.

I actually like IP Office a lot, but some of the higher end Avaya stuff is a huge pain in the rear end to set up. They do phone systems really well but I've heard mixed reviews of their networking infrastructure product lines.

If you have a support.avaya.com account there's actually a ton of useful documentation and install guides and stuff on there. Just be warned that the downloads section can be a nightmare to find what you're looking for in, especially if you're looking for a specific software release that isn't the latest version, or don't know precisely what the thing you're looking for is named. And in older stuff their versioning is all over the place across closely related products.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in two months ago.

Desktop support user can't print from internal app. I troubleshot, couldn't find anything wrong with the application and told him to see if it was a profile issue and to log into another PC. He said ok and that was that.

He comes to me today and asks if I fixed the issue yet.

I ask him if he's tried a fresh profile and he gives me blank stare. I follow him to his desk and help him log into a spare laptop, prints fine. I tell him he needs to rebuild his profile.

He looks at me for a minute then asks what I have to do application side to fix the problem .

I tell him again the application is fine, there is an issue with his windows profile and he needs to rebuild it. He looks at me again and tells me to follow up with the vendor for a fix.

I'm pretty sure this guy had no idea how to rebuild a Windows 7 domain profile or they call it something increadibly weird here. This guy is a tier 2 agent who supports desktop issues

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Proteus Jones posted:

It's as if a thousand DNS's cried out at once... and were suddenly renewed.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

PremiumSupport posted:

At a previous job we had inhouse Exchange. The main server was called Pat and the backup was Jess, as in 'Postman Pat and his black and white cat'. This is probably meaningless to non UK people, but it always made me smile :)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's pretty :3:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Meh, all our servers have a boring standard naming convention - our conference rooms, however, are named after sports and web browsers.

For once, I'd like to see conference rooms named after videogames or superheroes or even crypto would be amusing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've posted it here before, but about two years ago one of our offices decided to name all their meeting rooms after important projects our company has done in the city centre - because our industry the projects tend to be locations. We did this to our standard, which is $OFFICE Room - $NICKNAME but they came back and insisted that the room names must be the project names alone, and because their office manager was a senior partner that was what was done.

Several months later they lodged an urgent ticket to change all of the room names to $OFFICE Room #. After some digging through non-management employees we found out it was because multiple times important high-level meetings that were organised with external parties didn't end up happening because the external parties took the internal office room name to be the actual location they needed to turn up at rather than our office building.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
When I went to a prospective student day at UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology) in the late 90s, all their servers were named after Babylon 5 characters. The university collapsed and shut down 2 or 3 years later. Not saying that the two facts are related but you have to wonder, right?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

On the dev floors, our conference rooms are stuff like Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. Each room has matching muralwork which is pretty badass.

It almost makes up for the old building where management overruled a vote for naming the rooms after star wars planets.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
At my place we have officially named the auditoriums and meetings rooms according to old mill buildings. Such as "Hollander", "Bleaching", and "Tampella".

What people call them instead is "PMx Office large meeting room", PMx Office Small meeting room" "Aquarium" (has glass walls), etc etc

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Ghostlight posted:

I've posted it here before, but about two years ago one of our offices decided to name all their meeting rooms after important projects our company has done in the city centre - because our industry the projects tend to be locations. We did this to our standard, which is $OFFICE Room - $NICKNAME but they came back and insisted that the room names must be the project names alone, and because their office manager was a senior partner that was what was done.

Several months later they lodged an urgent ticket to change all of the room names to $OFFICE Room #. After some digging through non-management employees we found out it was because multiple times important high-level meetings that were organised with external parties didn't end up happening because the external parties took the internal office room name to be the actual location they needed to turn up at rather than our office building.

All our rooms are named after local music venues. I've heard of this happening a few times but only with the venue that's a few blocks away from the office. Especially when Google calendar helpfully picks up the room name and offers directions to the club - we use gsuite internally and often have people from other offices visiting so that's probably part of the issue.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The temptation to setup a conference room named KAMINO that can't be booked and has no location is a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sormus posted:

"Aquarium" (has glass walls)"
We have one of those. Brand new, they spent a ton of money on it. Started having C-level meetings there. Then they realized that because of the synergistic disruptive "outside of the box" glass walls, everyone else walking by the area can see what's on the big conference screen.

So they just spent a bunch more money to put some kind of privacy film on the glass walls which still allows you to see the important people meeting there, but makes the screens unreadable. A pity, I was kind of hoping to be the first to see a Powerpoint talking about corporate restructuring.