Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked that Dimensions in Danger, rather than having people talk about how awesome Tommy is all the time, just had him do awesome stuff mostly uncommented on.

That's the one part I didn't like about forever red, (well that and the toy commercial serpentera ending), everyone is in complete awe of Tommy but in that episode in particular he's not really doing anything anybody else isn't doing.

Tommy does a lot more in dimensions in danger than he did in forever red, and had more screen time, but somehow didn't feel as over saturated.

And also Holy poo poo that loving falcon zord. Never in a million years would I have thought that would happen.

I missed the henshins in this episode but jeez from a storytelling economy standpoint they probably saved themselves like 5 minutes by not showing any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If they had spent the effort to redo all the old morph footage for how the actors looked at the time, that would have been neat. It's really incongruous on In Space when Adam abruptly gets a haircut for two seconds as he morphs.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Watching the big fight again, while Tommy’s doing Tommy shenanigans and everyone pulls their blasters, I think to myself, “there’s no way every one of these suits has sidearms” and I pause the video and rewind it a couple times

And there’s Trent, just kinda holding his Quill Sword backwards and kinda pew pewing lasers out of the pommel

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure abarekiller could do that if he really wanted to, I'll allow it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

Actually think that was something they did in Dino Thunder. I'm pretty sure he fired lasers from the 'eyes' on his dagger pen.

Also yeah, it was really nice to not have people talk Tommy up, while also having Tommy totally live up to his legendary reputation. A lot better than the alternative of HE'S SO COOL when he does poo poo all

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Trent can totally do that with his sword. He can also create energy arrows.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, he doesn’t do that in the Sentai, but with all the footage they had to film for the evil clone arc and burn off more footage of Abarekiller being a dick, they did that add that.

I’m kind of surprised Trent is still popular, as they basically took a character better than Evil Tommy and boiled him down to not quite as fun. But the suit has always looked incredibly stylish and has one of the few non-black visors, so...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWKUer8bhI&t=29s

yep Drago Sword arrows check out

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only real moment like that was right at the end Ninja Steel red before going into the portal basically turns to camera and says "Wow, what an epic adventure that was!" Come on dude, that wasn't necessary. But also wasn't particularly egregious. I

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, he doesn’t do that in the Sentai, but with all the footage they had to film for the evil clone arc and burn off more footage of Abarekiller being a dick, they did that add that.

I’m kind of surprised Trent is still popular, as they basically took a character better than Evil Tommy and boiled him down to not quite as fun. But the suit has always looked incredibly stylish and has one of the few non-black visors, so...

I think they were picked mostly on availability and willingness, not popularity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I remember Gai doing the arrow attack as Abarekiller in the Abaranger episode of Gokaiger.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The only real moment like that was right at the end Ninja Steel red before going into the portal basically turns to camera and says "Wow, what an epic adventure that was!" Come on dude, that wasn't necessary. But also wasn't particularly egregious. I

Isn't "epic" basically Brody's catchphrase?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Read the Shattered Grid finale. It’s loaded with lots of nods to famous comic superheroes and other big events in those comics, it does feel very heavily focused on Tommy being more awesome than everyone, and you get this feeling of “he hosed up the entire franchise just to achieve THAT?” In a lot of ways, Drakkon’s end goal is pretty similar to some Sentai villains, and it’s not inappropriate. It’s just... wildly reverential to DC Comics in particular in how it gets there.

As someone that rode the Drakkon-is-Zedd train very hard, I’m sort of okay with getting nothing on that. All the usual bite the bullet consequences of a comic playing too aggressively with its own lore are invoked, including the universe trying to digest out of place people and events by changing them. I still think a page of a ranger’s skin being ripped off with energy while their armor fused onto them would be an amazing visual, but I also kind of didn’t want one of the show’s best villains being made Another Evil Tommy even though I was eager to accept it.

It was an okay issue, but if you’re an MMPR fan and not a fan of the superhero comics industry in general then #30 will be the peak of the story for you. Because this is very much a comics writer ending a big comics event in the accepted comics industry style, and not really Power Rangers as you know it.

When I saw Drakkon owned a dojo and who the instructor was, I felt like I had entered JDF’s mind.

One small neat thing that I didn't think I would ever say is I'd really like a one-shot at least of Lauren. It's easy to make me like, say, Jen. Lauren was trickier.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1034923655225135104?s=19

OMG if they were going to make Funko Pop monsters they sure as hell picked the perfect ones

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why the heck is Pumpkin Rapper so popular?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

He's ridiculous

Also watching those dino Thunder clips

God I don't know when they made it so that ANY TIME they used their guns they had to yell FIRE or LASERS but I hate it. I love it but I hate it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How am I supposed to know those aren't lethal tracer bullets that can kill people instead of harmless lasers that just blow monsters up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

How am I supposed to know those aren't lethal tracer bullets that can kill people instead of harmless lasers that just blow monsters up.

It's just

That supercut's action is SUCH a sharp contrast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7okO_n5ph4

With this

Could you imagine how ridiculous Manga Defender would be if he called out LASERS while firing his laser shotgun at innocent civilians?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha the titanium ranger just walks into a school and starts shooting people. AFTER COLUMBINE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

Probably helps that Zedd used him a lot*

*that's one of the more interesting things about Zedd, he's able to resurrect old monsters with minimal effort, and thus explains why he keeps reusing a small group of his monsters, he already knows their capabilities and thus it's easy to fit them into his plans

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1034923655225135104?s=19

OMG if they were going to make Funko Pop monsters they sure as hell picked the perfect ones

Pudgy Pig might be my first Funko Pop. drat that's nice.

And the dead shark eyes work nicely.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nodosaur posted:

Isn't "epic" basically Brody's catchphrase?

It's not that far off from Takaharu's, if you think about it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Caphi posted:

It's not that far off from Takaharu's, if you think about it.

And they both deliver it just as well

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Right but in this he isn’t drawing the arrows he’s just pew pewing out the back

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

looks like he's holding it the right way to me :shrug:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Right but he’s just shooting lasers out of it, not speed drawing and stuff

I guess I’ll concede

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

David Fielding is on Twitter, I found out today. There's nothing particularly remarkable about his tweets, mostly YouTube and fan art for power rangers stuff but every time I see a tweet from him it gives me joy

For example:
Ron Wasserman rearranged his favorite MMPR song "We Need a Hero" for piano

https://twitter.com/DavidJFielding/status/1034994792642560001?s=19

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 30, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

Right but he’s just shooting lasers out of it, not speed drawing and stuff

I guess I’ll concede

What some people aren't making clear is that, on a rare occasion, he did just shoot lasers like that.

Like his big flashy move was drawing the arrows, but once or twice he just flipped the thing around and fired lasers out of it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, the episode you never knew you wanted.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I liked that Dimensions in Danger, rather than having people talk about how awesome Tommy is all the time, just had him do awesome stuff mostly uncommented on.

That's the one part I didn't like about forever red, (well that and the toy commercial serpentera ending), everyone is in complete awe of Tommy but in that episode in particular he's not really doing anything anybody else isn't doing.

Tommy does a lot more in dimensions in danger than he did in forever red, and had more screen time, but somehow didn't feel as over saturated.

And also Holy poo poo that loving falcon zord. Never in a million years would I have thought that would happen.

I missed the henshins in this episode but jeez from a storytelling economy standpoint they probably saved themselves like 5 minutes by not showing any.

Oddly Forever Red felt more like a Jason episode to me than a Tommy episode.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, the episode you never knew you wanted.

:allears: absolutely beautiful.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Incidentally, what's the size limit for avatars nowadays?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 30, 2018

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burkion posted:

Also watching those dino Thunder clips

God I don't know when they made it so that ANY TIME they used their guns they had to yell FIRE or LASERS but I hate it. I love it but I hate it.

That's probably the most annoying part of all the modern shows now that they dropped the slow mo wire-fu/ gratuitous explosions.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So one interesting thing I noticed

Green Ranger Tommy is consistently portrayed as his strongest Ranger power, across all of them.

I guess it's because it's his first power and...probably most famous? But Fighting Spirit and Ninja Steel imply that it's his straight up best powers for hand to hand fighting.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, yeah. It's powered both by Rita AND Zordon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

which is a clear retcon because each of his successive forms were clearly upgrades to his previous ones

Zordon straight up called the White Ranger an even more powerful ranger, the Zeo Crystal was stated to be stronger than the power coins, and Dino Thunder Black destroyed giant monsters on his own.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I personally think Zeo would be his strongest but he's basically using a facsimile of those now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

which is a clear retcon because each of his successive forms were clearly upgrades to his previous ones

Zordon straight up called the White Ranger an even more powerful ranger, the Zeo Crystal was stated to be stronger than the power coins, and Dino Thunder Black destroyed giant monsters on his own.

I mean, to be fair

I'm not sure White Ranger Tommy was ever meant to actually be stronger- Zordon was more referring to the fact that it couldn't be taken away by evil powers like Green. (And it was stronger than Green was by the end due to how depleted the Green Ranger powers were)

When the Tommy Clones duked it out, Green and White were pretty dead even, and the Dragonzord stomped the White Tiger Zord.

Zeo Red absolutely should be his strongest powers though, but as Al pointed out, he's not drawing directly from the Zeo Crystal anymore so who knows

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dragon might be the powers he has the most affinity for, really. Rita chose him because he somehow resonated with them. Then White Tiger was made just for him but as a way to keep him from evil. Given how his personality changed when he got it, White Tiger might have actually included some kind of mental deal. Both of his red powers, he kinda just... got, they're not particularly Tommy's in some fundamental way.

Dino Black? I dunno. Maybe they were his first attempt at recreating Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You can’t really deny that DT Black has the most impressive on screen feat though.