Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So I came into this thread with a vague antipathy towards Elon ( which I assume was engendered by the whole is stupid rich and does nothing to actually help vibe he has going on) and in reading this I see I was giving him too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Clockwerk posted:

well now I want a scythe for yardwork

high five buddy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

every time i see this phrase i youtube the song and it's stuck in my head for the rest of the day

Pham Nuwen posted:

and that's not bloody surprising, mun

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

like, i'm not really in a position to forgive them for blackface. i've read up on it and it's not easy to dismiss. Also they're appropriating a lot.

I have no idea what south Africa's history with black face is so I won't comment, but I'm curious what you see as appropriation. ppl online misuse that word to the point of meaninglessness

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

no moving parts and you can easily sharpen it.

my favorite part is there’s no computers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

fart simpson posted:

my favorite part is there’s no computers

yes!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

🐦🐦🐦🦅🐦🐦🐦

direct action

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

I have no idea what south Africa's history with black face is so I won't comment
given that it's south africa, i'm going to guess "not great"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface#South_Africa

quote:

Inspired by blackface minstrels who visited Cape Town, South Africa, in 1848, former Javanese and Malay coolies took up the minstrel tradition, holding emancipation celebrations which consisted of music, dancing and parades. Such celebrations eventually became consolidated into an annual, year-end event called the "Coon Carnival" but now known as the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival or the Kaapse Klopse
yeah, that's about what i'd expect for the first few sentences on a wikipedia article about blackface in south africa.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fermun posted:

yeah, that's about what i'd expect for the first few sentences on a wikipedia article about blackface in south africa.

yeesh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fermun posted:

*elon musk's great grandpa voice* ey wont de blicks te dince fur mah bet ey dunt wont em in me hus. *sees imported malay workers in blackface* fonally eh weh te see de blicks whul enly heving ti daal wit celestiels

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I have no idea what south Africa's history with black face is so I won't comment, but I'm curious what you see as appropriation. ppl online misuse that word to the point of meaninglessness

they literally steal most of their material from lesser known black south african artists

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the talent deficit posted:

they literally steal most of their material from lesser known black south african artists

rap is a genre where artists endlessly sample from and riff on each other. it's like blues that way. cardi b has gained critical acclaim for a flow and beat taken from Kodak black and two tracks where the samples are just shy of taking another song wholesale. have they been accused of literally taking songs from other artists wholesale, or are some Twitter types just going like "this song sounds similar to that song and we all know songs are made in a vacuum "

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i dunno if musk does music but I'm 100% sure that he has stolen a black south African dudes music

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 30, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i dunno if musk does music but I'm 100% sure that he has stolen a black south African dudes music

lol

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

rap is a genre where artists endlessly sample from and riff on each other. it's like blues that way. cardi b has gained critical acclaim for a flow and beat taken from Kodak black and two tracks where the samples are just shy of taking another song wholesale. have they been accused of literally taking songs from other artists wholesale, or are some Twitter types just going like "this song sounds similar to that song and we all know songs are made in a vacuum "

http://yourfaveisproblematic.tumblr.com/post/47813212501/die-antwoord

http://www.okayafrica.com/ninja-die-antwoord-south-africa-appropriation/

https://www.channel24.co.za/Music/News/Die-Antwoord-reacts-to-exploitation-allegations-20130930

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/zimkhitha-mvandaba/die-antwoord-continues-to-offend-and-outrage-through-their-contr_a_23005690/

http://thoughtleader.co.za/taliameer/2013/01/02/die-antwoord-are-we-missing-the-misogyny/

https://gq.co.za/culture/entertainment/die-antwoord-jane-alexander-and-a-culture-of-forgetting/

by all means, keep listening to die antwoord, but they're very much a bunch of racist, misogynist thieves

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it's very interesting to look at and compare bogans, rednecks, and boers/boeres, all of whom are lower class whites living in former british colonies. it's especially interesting to look at how close all of their political opinions are considering each group of idiots are on the other side of the world from each other

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:stonk:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it's very interesting to look at and compare bogans, rednecks, and boers/boeres, all of whom are lower class whites living in former british colonies. it's especially interesting to look at how close all of their political opinions are considering each group of idiots are on the other side of the world from each other

yo it's almost like colonialism, a culture that disintegrated in the face of slight resistance and white exceptionalism left lasting damage on society

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i keep thinking this is an actual zelda thread in my bookmarks, then realize it's not, but it's too much work to find a real zelda thread in games or whatever to ask if the botw dlc is worth getting, so i'll just ask here: is the botw dlc worth getting?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pardot posted:

i keep thinking this is an actual zelda thread in my bookmarks, then realize it's not, but it's too much work to find a real zelda thread in games or whatever to ask if the botw dlc is worth getting, so i'll just ask here: is the botw dlc worth getting?

well since we're pretending this is a zelda thread, i will pretend i own a switch and have played botw and that i liked it enough that i bought the dlc and liked that too:

sure, buy the dlc.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

are you implying that white South African rappers are racist???

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

in conclusion,

fishmech posted:

yolandi visser three

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve never met a nice South African

Manfred Mann seems like an ok guy?

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Pardot posted:

yes!

on topic: how fast or slow does the SEC usually work?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
just slow enough to make its victims think they are ok much like lawyers

“why am I not being sued huh? HUHh?? it’s because he’s a p...”
*snap*

“lol good thing that funding secured thing blew over...”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“oh! that tweet about workers losing their stock if they unionize??? toooooootally forgot about that one! :doh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
god, what an absolute shithead. gonna get in trouble because he couldn’t keep his yap shut on twitter.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

anyway, I've been wanting to get a scythe. it looks like a very organic way to trim lawns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNTYPmeLXk

looks like a very organic way to gently caress up your back/hips
but you'll have the coolest halloween prop come october

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i used a manual reel mower for a while. boomers walking by on the sidewalk would stop and marvel at me for using such an archaic device and wax nostalgically about their youth. also, my yard isn't a putting green so it worked like poo poo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:spooky: grass stained lawn care equipment :spooky:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

:spooky: grass stained lawn care equipment :spooky:

hell yes. i've got the grass stained dad shoes to match. :getin:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

i used a manual reel mower for a while. boomers walking by on the sidewalk would stop and marvel at me for using such an archaic device and wax nostalgically about their youth. also, my yard isn't a putting green so it worked like poo poo.

yeah, you gotta put some tif grass down and mow it super short

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

I mean, just take a look at this one (I'm basically just googling "die antwoord appropriation" here so take it with a grain of salt).
https://www.timeslive.co.za/tshisa-live/tshisa-live/2017-06-27-ntsiki-lambastes-die-antwoord-for-disrespecting-the-xhosa-culture/

As a fan of their music, it's easy for me to say "they don't mean anything by it, they're all about getting along" but like I said, it's not up to me to forgive them for this.

Personally, I don't think they're overt racists, that's not the message I get from their music. I just think they're just white people who think it's okay to act the way they do because they're "post-race," which makes them really ignorant, but
not necessarily bad people.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 30, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Media Bloodbath posted:

yes!

on topic: how fast or slow does the SEC usually work?

i'll put it this way: there's a non-zero chance tesla goes bankrupt and/or is acquired by another company before the sec manages to do anything to ol musky.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

really ignorant, but
not necessarily bad people.

don't sign

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Endless Mike posted:

i'll put it this way: there's a non-zero chance tesla goes bankrupt and/or is acquired by another company before the sec manages to do anything to ol musky.

i’ve been holding out that they wouldn’t last through this summer since last year and they still have a few more weeks until i’m wrong there

granted they won’t last much longer but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember how long rim took to die

we've got like a decade before tesla is a licensed brand that some chinese automaker uses to sell cars to NA markets