Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Sent my auditions in last night, Joe. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

:frogsiren: PART 1 HAS BEEN FILLED, DO NOT WASTE TIME ON IT :frogsiren:

I still need an actor for PART 2

I wasn't able to record today and might not get to until tomorrow morning. Think it'll be filled by then?

EDIT: Audition sent!

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 28, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wendell posted:

Turn down the gain on the mic, and try not to breathe into it.

What is the fan video you’re hoping to get into, covok?

It was just some random fandubs and stuff online. I was looking for practice. Like some dramatic readings and the such. Mostly nerd related.

Just doing those auditions, most of which I couldn't bring myself to submit (only submitted one) did kind of reveal two things that I need to work on: and this everything and anything. My voice was very flat and lacked emotion and I couldn't seem to make it do what I wanted it to do. I always seemed to sound the same and I couldn't think of how to make it sound like what I was trying to invoke. It was terrible.

I think I'm going to have to very remedial on this and, you know, actual train and learn how to use my voice as a toll. Should have done that from the start. Sort of classic arrogance, I suppose. I must sound like a dumbass and/or a story you've heard a thousand times before or both.

Also, what is gain and how do you turn it down?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It’s basically just how sensitive the mic is. How much it’s going to pick up. If it’s picking up every little breath you’re making I thought yours might be too high! There should be a knob on your microphone you can turn.

There are many nice helpful posts in the OP, and one of them suggests reading aloud every night in order to improve your delivery. Try that! Read some Robert Munsch or something.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Sent in my audition. Good luck, everyone!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

My CAD e100s goes from inaudible to eardrum bursting if I don't get the gain just exactly perfect. I don't have the same problem with my RODE NT1-A. I'm using a Behringer UMC204HD for both microphones so I don't think it is the interface. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or is it just a quirk of the e100s?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Thank you to everyone who submitted auditions! At least 10+ different actors so far.

I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A MILTON I AM 100% HAPPY WITH. Some are closer than others but ehhhhhh

Keep the submissions coming. Remember: cartoony, memorable, ham it the hell up folks. The audition is only 3 lines, feel free to go in a few different directions and play with it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Thank you to everyone who submitted auditions! At least 10+ different actors so far.

I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A MILTON I AM 100% HAPPY WITH. Some are closer than others but ehhhhhh

Keep the submissions coming. Remember: cartoony, memorable, ham it the hell up folks. The audition is only 3 lines, feel free to go in a few different directions and play with it.

I'm off work today (it's my birthday!) so I'll record some additional takes and send them your way by this evening!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

The Joe Man posted:

To people auditioning, when I did a second round of recording for this project, I actually had to scrap an entire session because I messed up really big on the energy levels (too low). Often with cartoony characters you will feel like you are hitting a point where "no this is too much I need to dial it back" when in reality you might be at the bare minimum of energy/cartoonish required. So do not be afraid to go over the top.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If I start going over the top, I get massively paranoid about going ham. It's something I could never shake.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

WarpedNaba posted:

If I start going over the top, I get massively paranoid about going ham. It's something I could never shake.

He's literally asking for it though

Unmature
May 9, 2008

blinkeve1826 posted:

He's literally asking for it though

Yeah crank it up.

And it's always easier to tell how an actor can pull it back than push it forward.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: PART 2 HAS BEEN FILLED :frogsiren:

Thank you to everyone who auditioned and as always, I'll post again when I have more work available.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend does accents really well to a point of actually making me jealous. She's mentioned maybe trying out for being an audiobook reader with said skills-- so I thought maybe I'd get her a USB mic and show her how to use Audacity or something as a gift. She'll most likely find it way more tedious than her actual current steady work, but hey-- I'll let her figure that out on her own.

The OP is like 4 years old since last edit-- but are the mic recommendations in it still valid? Or is there some new hotness?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

jeeves posted:

My girlfriend does accents really well to a point of actually making me jealous. She's mentioned maybe trying out for being an audiobook reader with said skills-- so I thought maybe I'd get her a USB mic and show her how to use Audacity or something as a gift. She'll most likely find it way more tedious than her actual current steady work, but hey-- I'll let her figure that out on her own.

The OP is like 4 years old since last edit-- but are the mic recommendations in it still valid? Or is there some new hotness?

If you are looking for microphone recommendations and reviews check out a YouTube channel called Booth Junkie.

I wanted to ask the thread, when you are recording something do you read the script as you are recording or do you do a quick review, put down the script and then start recording? I'm trying to figure out why I'm so stiff and a bit flat when I record. I think part of it is not practicing enough but I think it might also be that I read as I record to make sure I don't gently caress up any of the lines.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can read faster than I speak, so I usually have the script in front of me. After that, it depends on if I can make minor adjustments for tone and flow - depends on the director.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I wanted to ask the thread, when you are recording something do you read the script as you are recording or do you do a quick review, put down the script and then start recording? I'm trying to figure out why I'm so stiff and a bit flat when I record. I think part of it is not practicing enough but I think it might also be that I read as I record to make sure I don't gently caress up any of the lines.
I usually have the script/PDF on the right-half of the screen while I have my recording software readout on the left. I read while I record and like WarpedNaba, can scan several words ahead so I can start moving into the correct intonation early....then I usually throw everything in that first 30min out after I've settled on a voice/warmed up and completely re-record everything for (hopefully) my final or semi-final reads.

Oh, and Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure now has a Steam page. Wishlist it! If you decide to purchase upon release, you'll hear characters voiced by VO goons JossiRossi, WarpedNaba & yours truly:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/914020/Gibbous___A_Cthulhu_Adventure/

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

So, when I got laid off in May I started doing VO auditions on the pay to play sites again. This is the first thing that came in. Pretty standard explainer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDmCM7LrjM

I landed another job but they have not been responding for my requests for a copy of the spot...

I've taken a little break from the grind of auditioning because it gets a little depressing after a couple of months but I'm starting up again after I post the next episode of Lou Reads.

Here's an audition I did that I really liked but didn't get the gig.

That concludes my non-regularly scheduled update.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

King Lou posted:

So, when I got laid off in May I started doing VO auditions on the pay to play sites again. This is the first thing that came in. Pretty standard explainer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDmCM7LrjM

I landed another job but they have not been responding for my requests for a copy of the spot...

I've taken a little break from the grind of auditioning because it gets a little depressing after a couple of months but I'm starting up again after I post the next episode of Lou Reads.

Here's an audition I did that I really liked but didn't get the gig.

That concludes my non-regularly scheduled update.

A lesson learned, and one that I'd say is *extremely* common--but better to learn it with something with lower stakes like this. Meaning--if you just wanted it as a portfolio piece, you could theoretically take your VO track, use whatever assets you might actually have, flesh it out with some additional audio/video (royalty-free stock stuff if you have to) and finish it yourself. At least it's a lesson learned before this happens with a higher-stakes project where the repercussions could be more substantial. It's still a bummer of course, but learn from it and it never has to happen again.

In the future, write it into your contract (or initial email correspondence if you, siiiighhhhhh, don't have a contract), including not just the fact that you want a copy, but exactly when, from whom, in what format, etc. with as much specificity as possible. Account for all possibilities (if it's not publicly released but was finished/produced, you'll likely still want a copy, so specifying that you want a copy "upon release" doesn't account for that, etc.) right up front. You'll still have issues like this from time to time, but both setting the expectations and identifying exactly what you agree on and from whom you're supposed to get it from the start will help you and they'll certainly be less frequent and more clear-cut at the very least.

On a different note: I think I know everyone from this thread who's in NY or LA already but JUST in case, here's a link to my next free VO class in LA on the 17th.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Anyone work any fun projects recently? Waiting on a previous client to get their budget together for expansion VO but otherwise, it's been unusually quiet. I plan on doing another sweep in the coming weeks to see if I can dig up any open (professional) audition opportunities but I'm getting a seasonal-related vibe that devs are hunkering down a bit more than usual.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m about to submit a (professionally recorded) demo reel to several agencies around Texas, so that’s taking a lot of energy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I got approached to do the campaign ad for UKIP for some loving reason.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I auditioned for a Fallout New Vegas fan remake/mod for Fallout 4. I've also been shopping Behind the Voice Actors for projects but not much has caught my eye.

I started taking some group seminar style VO classes online! I've been looking around for acting class I could take locally but no luck. It seems the community theatres in my area only teach youth acting classes. The universities have acting classes but I don't think they are open to the public.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I've wound up doing a lot of behind the mic work lately. I had a few scripts accepted for a short story anthology series podcast, that will start coming out in December. And I am waiting on approval for a ~90 minute long audio feature of a selection of Lovecraft stories that was recorded last year that I did the recording/editing on.

The waiting part suuuuuucks. I always want crap done and in my face asap.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I always wanted to do Lovecraftian stuff, but Wayne June nails it so hard that it just robs me of any confidence in matching up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nah, It's hard to sleep to Wayne June. He does this quiet droning thing, and then an hour in just raises his voice or starts doing shrill voices, and you wake up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Of all the bedtime stories I can think of, the Cthulhu mythos ain't in the top ten.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I always wanted to do Lovecraftian stuff, but Wayne June nails it so hard that it just robs me of any confidence in matching up.

Honestly, you should do it. I'd love to hear Lovecraft done with your voice

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I did another small regional spot for the Buffalo, NY area. They remembered me from a Voice123 audition I didn't get. Low budget but with this gig I paid the pay to play fee. Shrug.

https://vimeo.com/293379281

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

MIGHT be hiring some folks soon. Kinda overloaded at the moment. Will update thread with details if/when I can confirm.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Does anyone have any decent suggestions for audio overlay plug-ins? Like talking underwater, creaky wood or stone, etc...?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The Joe Man posted:

Does anyone have any decent suggestions for audio overlay plug-ins? Like talking underwater, creaky wood or stone, etc...?

Zynaptiq Morph 2 might be what you're after for the stone/wood stuff. If you're familiar with the DOOM 2016 soundtrack, Mick Gordon used it to "merge" the sound of his guitar with the chainsaw sound effect from the original doom

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Whomever thought the Voices123.com new website was ok to launch should be fired.

I have never seen a more buggy release from a professional company for, well, anything. It rarely works well enough to even brute force my way through.

Features just randomly disappear, it often starts randomly flipping through pages of auditions or randomly clicking on profiles.

Holy poo poo was this beta tested at all??

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Whomever thought the Voices123.com new website was ok to launch should be fired.

I have never seen a more buggy release from a professional company for, well, anything. It rarely works well enough to even brute force my way through.

Features just randomly disappear, it often starts randomly flipping through pages of auditions or randomly clicking on profiles.

Holy poo poo was this beta tested at all??

I was in on the call when they announced they were switching over to this "new system." It's really hosed up, though. They clearly launched in what most people would probably consider Alpha Dev state. I have been angrily taking screenshots of all the loving terrible design choices. Everything about it is super awful. A classic "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. I'd love to see the volume of hate mail they are getting. I started getting job suggestions again but I now super hate using the site because the UX is so hosed.

In related news I booked a killer job on Voice123 to record announcements for this NBA G League team. I did one recording and it became clear that the producer, who was into my voice, was not in charge of the VO and they switched back to their other guy without telling me. I had to pursue the guy to get an explanation as to why a 15 spot job turned into one and I had to the detective work to figure it out. I did get paid for my one spot but it was went from being "Christmas is saved!" to "Oh, right... yeah... no presents this year!" real quick!

In other news, Cuisinart has been playing my 8 year old national spot since Thanksgiving... too bad I don't get residuals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsYtYCnLkY

Whenever it plays my ears perk up...

EDIT: non-sourpus news: I did win a quick one off gig for some video game called "Blade Bastards" and have been asked to do pick ups for that canvas awning company from Buffalo. So... I'm in the black on voice123 finally...

Happy holidays everyone!

King Lou fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 18, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

King Lou posted:

I did another small regional spot for the Buffalo, NY area. They remembered me from a Voice123 audition I didn't get. Low budget but with this gig I paid the pay to play fee. Shrug.

https://vimeo.com/293379281

Hey, I just wanted to say that that came out really well and sounded really professional and was good. Maybe not the best constructive criticism, but I want to let you know that it sounded really good. Also you sound a lot like Lou from Lou Reads the Internet.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Covok posted:

Hey, I just wanted to say that that came out really well and sounded really professional and was good. Maybe not the best constructive criticism, but I want to let you know that it sounded really good. Also you sound a lot like Lou from Lou Reads the Internet.

Same guy.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Covok posted:

I appreciate it. And yeah, I'm that guy from the internet reading. Any feedback is good considering the normal feedback one gets from places like Voice123 is never hearing anything unless you book a job. Once or twice I've had people reach out to me to tell me that they wanted my voice but were out voted... That's always a weird but appreciated consolation prize...

Oh, I was going to say that the only good thing that Voice123 has done is build in the audition beep automatically so clients can't just steal your VO and ghost.

EDIT: In job news I made $100 to say "AWWW, MY FOOT!" in some upcoming promo for "How to Train Your Dragon 3...."

King Lou fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 24, 2018

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

King Lou posted:

EDIT: In job news I made $100 to say "AWWW, MY FOOT!" in some upcoming promo for "How to Train Your Dragon 3...."

I just happened to see this commercial today on ESPN. I was like... "Oh poo poo! It's the AWWW MY FOOT commercial!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy6O7iNeq9Q

The commercial doesn't make a whole lot of sense but whatever...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

An interesting interview with the woman who is the voice of Siri
https://thehustle.co/siri-voice-actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Question: whom should I send my demo reel to? I live in Austin (obviously), but would work elsewhere in Texas if opportunities arise.